Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It's ok, I have all of the Gary Larson comics in my closet so we can all just pretend we're at my house looking at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Karma Monkey posted:

This nails it pretty well.

They pretty much directly lift the whole plot of this episode in s02e05 of Rick and Morty.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

All these god drat Nazis "protesting" that mosque in Irving while open carrying, and busting out windows in refugees houses in Plano, is both unnerving and infuriating. It's no longer protesting when you're holding a gun in someone's face, it's loving terrorism. These assholes need to be stomped out of our society.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I know you're trying to prove a point here, but the people in your article are also terrorists. The difference is the mosque isn't full of lawmakers, they're just people trying to go to church. These people aren't being oppressed by the government, they're trying to intimidate people because they're racist. I don't why you are trying to play devil's advocate here, these people are literally the KKK. Did you just spend a lot of money on your gun and gun accessories or something?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

So the Lewisville lake dam might fail.

http://interactives.dallasnews.com/2015/lewisville-dam/

quote:

It is currently ranked as Dam Safety Action Class 2, with “very high” risk and “failure initiation foreseen.” But the Corps is weighing whether to raise this to Class 1, the category for dams that are “extremely high” risk and “critically near failure” and require immediate action to avoid catastrophe.

quote:

With a full reservoir behind it, a 65-foot-tall flood wave traveling 34 mph would quickly inundate a wide swath of Lewisville, Coppell, Carrollton, Farmers Branch, Irving, Las Colinas and other communities bordering the Trinity River.

The wave would sweep everything in its path — the Lewisville dump, water treatment plants, LBJ Freeway, the Bush Turnpike, Interstate 35E, the State Highway 121 Tollway, Love Field, the Hospital District, office complexes, senior citizen centers, shelters, schools, playgrounds and 53,000 other structures.

Like a tsunami, the wave would submerge downtown Dallas in roughly 50 feet of water, the Corps estimates, causing more than $21 billion in property damage, before continuing south down the Trinity River toward the Gulf of Mexico. “It would be a much bigger magnitude to the Dallas area than Hurricane Katrina was to New Orleans,” says Vazquez. “It’s a nightmare scenario.”

:stare:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Maybe the authorities could just make him turn his shirt inside out and send him to the principal's office. Or they could cover the shirt with some kind of black burqa-like garment.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Guys this is pookel's page. Let's not make this about anything or anyone else, she is so god damned brave for standing up I'm actually shedding a tear here.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I totally thought it was written in the nineteenth century from the quote in the thread, and would make fun of anyone who wrote like that nowadays.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Nobody has trouble understanding it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

an overdue owl posted:

if the last book you read was a tale explaining how everyone poops then this might seem a bit pretentious

an overdue owl posted:

nobody said that anyone had trouble understanding it

guys, I found a picture of croc lady

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't have kids, so why am I paying property tax for education?!?

*conveniently forgets that he was once a child and went to school*

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I was literally loading up this thread to post this, because I've been listening to that song like crazy lately.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Smiths song is about the victims and even uses their names, though. It does anything but glorify the murders, even ironically.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Nobody cares about that poo poo anymore, guys.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Probably not cluster headaches, mang

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Fire codes exist for a reason department:
Yesterday a dance was held at an artists' space in a warehouse, the Oakland Ghost Ship. Because human occupancy, to say nothing of holding events open to the public, was illegal, there was (duh) no fire code inspection, no sprinklers, no marked exits. The second floor was reached by climbing up a stack of wooden pallets. As you can see from the pictures, the space was full of flammable objects, and walking through the space was an exercise in traversing a maze.

There was a fire. So far, nine people are known to be dead, but officials say there may be up to 40 total deaths.

reddit thread.

This sort of thing happens every few years, because complying with building codes and fire codes is both expensive and time-consuming.

Wow that place really did look like a deathtrap.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

I was desperately poor for a long time. Like break into homes to steal food from their fridge so I can eat poor. So gently caress off and you're full of poo poo. There's nothing special about me except that I actually did something about my situation. I've buried a bunch of my friends because of drugs, murder, etc and the only difference between me and them is that I picked up and left the situation with nothing to my name and they continued living in the punk squat slamming hundreds of dollars of drugs into their veins a month instead of saving the money and fixing their situation.

Sorry, for coming off as an rear end, but having actually gone through it and come out the other end and being successful and losing so many friends my empathy for people that just accept victimhood is super loving low. I understand how you get into those situations, but I also know there's ways out. You know, because I went through it myself so its not just a thought experiment for me. Sorry again. Its just sometimes this poo poo kinda strikes a chord for me.

did all of your dead friends deserve it?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I predict posts akin to "sonic is MY boyfriend!"

A.I. personality designation "Ada" is truly MY wife, nobody else has permission to jerk it to her. :mad:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

DogonCrook posted:

Kinda wonder if this is happening because so many people "ag" their land for tax purposes. Huge swaths of texas get 10 cows dumped on it and hardly ever check on them, making this a pretty effective strategy i would imagine for taking down cows. If a coyote gets used to doing that, a person asleep isnt really going to scare it i wouldnt think.

Never heard of coyotes killing a grown cow, but if there are problems with coyotes in your field you can always put a donkey in there. Donkeys gently caress coyotes up.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Aleph Null posted:

The only thing I miss about giving up cable TV are the couple of networks that do nothing but play various forensic crime shows. I can get some of them online, but not enough.

There's an over the air station in Dallas that runs crime shows all day :cool:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

MisterOblivious posted:

Justice Network? It's pretty widely available.

OK

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The New Detectives is on Netflix. One of the murder investigations started when a man found a dead body on his lawn. In the reenactment, the lawn was perfectly manicured and bright green, and the body was next to a nice flower bed. In the actual crime scene photos, the grass was long, brown, and patchy. It kind of changes the atmosphere. I wonder if the guy whose lawn it was saw the episode and was pleased.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I love the episodes of Forensic Files where for the first 20 minutes you think they're doing some really crack detective work on microfiber samples left at the crime scene or whatever, only to reveal in the final 5 minutes that the killer openly bragged about the murder to 10 different people or something equally stupid that wouldn't have even required any forensic testing to convict.

"Hmm, I could dump this evidence in a random location in the dead of night ....OR I could just take it to my brother in law's property in broad daylight where everyone knows me and my car."

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

On this subject, up until recently I didn't really understand what being "drawn and quartered" meant. I assumed it meant having your arms and legs broken on a rack, but it was actually much worse. You would be strapped to a ladder, and disemboweled with two strokes: one vertically from your chest to your groin, and one horizontally across your belly.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

My version of it comes from an episode of "great British castles" on the bbc, and actually happened to some dickhead English Lord in Cardiff for brutalising the Welsh.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

NLJP posted:

we call it the Big British Castle over here

that's.... worse

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Underwater Shoe posted:

That's only the 'drawn' part. The most common reference you hear (in the UK at least) is to traitors being hung, drawn and quartered.

The hung part is pretty self explanatory. The victim would be hanged, but not until they died, just enough for them to suffer good.

Then they would be 'drawn' as you describe. So called because they were drawing out the entrails. Most people would live for a while after this. Sometimes there's reference to the entrails being thrown on a brazier (still attached) while the victim watched.

Then, once they were dead they would be 'quartered', literally. They would chop off the head, for display locally, then split the body into four quarters. The quarters were sent to the four corners of the kingdom as a reminder not to gently caress with the king. Sends a message in a pre-literacy pre-photography world.

I guess the last part was just too brutal for the beeb

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

chernobyl kinsman posted:

you did not get the joke

If the joke was that the castles are not "great" because they were used to oppress the Welsh/Irish/Scottish, it doesn't really work because they also built their own castles, and most were built by the Normans anyway. If not, feel free to explain.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Big British Castles

BBC

British Broadcasting Corporation

it wasn't that good of a joke but you're very dumb

also that bit about most being built by the normans is very wrong, and very little that the celts built could ever rival the English fortifications (look at Ed I's Iron Ring), but that's neither here nor there

haha you are a huge dickhead

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Kind of like there are two kinds of cops: bald cop with Oakleys or mustache cop.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

If it's those guys who had the windowless van then yeah they're the worst to me if only because the transcript of the one girl that they recorded is the number one thing I wish I could erase from my memory. It makes me physically nauseous thinking about it and I wish I could go back in time and keep myself from reading it. I'm not even going to look them up cause I keep trying to forget about it

Well that's the first time I've lost the game in a while

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The aftermath of a school shooting in Townville, S.C. that killed a 6-year-old and its effects on his classmates.

Dang, that's some bad writing

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Aleph Null posted:

Maybe someone's fetish is rubbing balloons and making your hair stand up? I don't know.

There's no maybe about it

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

that guy was a real jerk

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

this poo poo happened literally across the street from my old apartment:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/2...ps-say.amp.html

a crazy guy kills his own kid in broad daylight and gets shot by a neighbor

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

just take him out back and shoot him, he's ruined

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

fruit BOO!ts posted:

I’m pretty sure Lovecraft was just afraid of everything.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

That Yellowstone story is hosed. I remember another article about it that said that his last words were "it doesn't matter" when a good samaritan was trying to get his clothes off.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

AlbieQuirky posted:

Robert McNamara was so cruel and responsible for so much cruelty. The Fog of War is a completely unsettling movie, because it illustrates Arendt's "banality of evil" perfectly.

great score, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

A Scanner Darkly is a really good adaptation of the novel and was perfectly cast imo