Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

stickyfngrdboy posted:

This one is actually pretty hosed up though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Likens

I don't remember seeing it in this thread although I'm sure it's been in one of them.

It's probably one of the few things I know about that I really wish I didn't.

Speaking of terrible crimes in Indiana, here's one from my hometown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Shanda_Sharer

A bunch of teenage girls kidnap, torture, burn alive, and murder a 12 year old girl. Yeah, it's pretty much as depressing and unnerving as it sounds. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ok this story does not seem plausible at all

Would you say the poster is ......... untrustable?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Jedit posted:

When they said "social distancing" they did not mean "eight miles high".

Agree to disagree.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

We've already had an e-sports mass shooting, and it was pretty loving disturbing.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That reminds me of a different story. A longtime con artist was pretending to run a shelter for unhoused older people, lots of them had mental issues too. Except really she was poisoning them and stealing their social security. https://www.abc10.com/article/news/local/sacramento/sacramento-serial-killer-dorothea-puente/103-64cb8c66-5f2a-49c6-95de-7350aebce6b8

They dug up five bodies in the back garden after somebody came looking, and another tenant ominously told her "that woman's digging a lot of holes."

Recently there was an episode about her on the Netflix series Worst Roommate Ever.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

At a certain point I can't help but question whether the police just straight up allowed poo poo to continue for some reason

Oh, no doubt.

There were at least 5 or 6 serial killers operating simultaneously in LA at one time in the late 70's to early 80's. They prioritized the white blondes being strangled in the Hollywood Hills a bit more than than homeless people being stabbed on skid row.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Busket Posket posted:

I’m genuinely curious to know what y’all think about this article/phenomenon:

False calls about active school shooters are rising. Behind them is a strange pattern

”Whoever is doing this has managed to make phone calls relating to specific schools, reach the correct dispatchers, and give specific information about local school districts and threats within them without being caught," Conley said. "You couldn't do that without some considerable effort and investigation into knowing where you're targeting, how you're targeting it and how you were avoiding detection."

TL;DR: Dozens of reports of active shooter situations with casualties are being called in to schools and non-emergency lines across the US. They appear to originate from the same area overseas, contain a lot of localized details for the school, and the caller sounds like the same person in at least 4 cases (possibly more, but that audio wasn't reviewed).

There are clusters of greater activity in Minnesota, North Carolina, Maine, Louisiana, and Hawaii. No one is quite sure if this is part of a larger scheme to gather data on response times to better plan a larger attack, or if the intent is to cause so many false alarms that an actual attack isn’t taken as seriously until it’s too late, or if the people directing these callers are funded by a group who wants to make the US feel more dangerous, swinging the populace rightward in response.

Or if it even has any greater meaning than just scaring people.

Also Sarcopenia I hope you’re existing in a positive direction :shobon:

Honestly its probably the easiest way to get out of class now that bomb threats aren't in vogue anymore

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

HopperUK posted:

I get it. It's the same thing as if I'm reading and there's a misplaced comma or a typo. It's not a huge deal and probably most people wouldn't be bothered by it or even notice. But for me, I get distracted thinking about the word, and what the right spelling/pronunciation is, and wondering if it's a regional variant or I was wrong, and I lose all focus and flow.

e: to improve this snipe -I looked up Jane Goodall's book on google books and read the bit about that chimpanzee war, and it was horrifying. But not quite as horrifying as the story just before it about the female chimp who would eat the babies of another female in her group. Deliberately, and with apparent relish.

If you haven't seen it already, I'd recommend Cunk on Earth on Netflix. It's a sobering look at history and its affects on modern society. Very accurate and well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Boomers are Just Like That they have engineering degrees they got really cheap and use them to get small businesses that make hundreds of thousands of dollars per year and sign weird business deals with each other and when they go bad they get extremely violent and do things like shoot up the Mandalay Bay hotel or build an armored bulldozer to demolish everyone in town who wronged them or beat their business partner to death.

You're totally right, but I still have a soft spot for the killdozer.