Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Doctor Malaver posted:

It makes more sense to be sad over people suffering from depression. They can't experience emotions normally either but they have it much worse than this woman. Hell, maybe I'd take her condition and I'm not even depressed.

An irrational, pant-making GBS threads fear of spiders is exactly what every person needs to lead a full and fulfilled life. As Aristotle said "the path to eudaimonia is paved with that time you piddled in your trousers".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

benito posted:

There was the 2008 Chinese Milk Scandal in which baby formula was found to be adulterated with melamine, the same chemical that killed a bunch of cats and dogs from tainted pet food. But here's the one that has always terrified me:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/editorials/archives/2008/09/22/2003423869

A baby formula company was literally making formula with no nutritional content. And that's not a case of somebody not wearing a hair net or some bizarre cow disease, it's an entire company deciding to cut corners by making something that would vaguely look like milk when combined with water.

After reading posts in this thread about overpopulation I look upon these men as heroes. :patriot:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mate, if you think I'm serious you've been reading this thread too much. Go hug your children or play in the park with your dog or something.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

We need a goon to infiltrate Scientology and report back with all the poo poo that goes on. Who's the richest goon with excess time on their hands, that won't go all stockholm syndrome and actually fall for all that crap?

I've got plenty of free time and $20 in my account. I think I'm in the lead.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Atomic Coyote posted:

Searching "where to commit murder" on your laptop? Nice.

That's what "incognito" mode is for.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Basebf555 posted:

I've always been under the impression(I admit I've purposely not looked into it because if its not true I want to enjoy the fantasy) that the Pacific Northwest has forests in it that are so goddamn huge, that it becomes technically possible for an undiscovered great ape to be living there.

The idea is that nobody ever finds remains because you'd have to stumble on them within X amount of days after the animal died, otherwise it would be completely carried away by scavengers. These areas see so few people in them per year it would be extremely unlikely for a person to stumble on a body during the very short window it will be there.

Of course I've never seen any real evidence that convinces me Bigfoot does exist, but I've never really been convinced that its impossible either.

Otoh, I found a rock here in California that prevents Bigfoot attacks. No one holding the rock has ever been abducted or harmed by a wendigo, yeti, abominable snowman, or any other large, primate-like, cryptids.

PM me if you're interested in buying it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

pookel posted:

I'm wondering now, is it an American thing to think of military bases as places to house lots of troops while they train and equipment gets tested? It never really occurred to me to think of them as primarily strategic installations that you put near places that need to be defended. But then, we usually fight wars far from home - there's not much need to set up bases for local defense.

Put it this way: where along our thousands of miles of borders do you think the US is most vulnerable to a land based assault from the Mexican or Canadian military powers?:laugh:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

monster on a stick posted:

Well that Gypsy Rose story is a thing. Running away I get, killing someone is kind of another matter.

She tried running away and her mother kept bringing her back though. Plus the authorities didn't seem to be any help. From the POV of an abused young woman (I almost want to call her a teenager even though we know that isn't true anymore) it might not have felt like she had any other options.

For fucks sake, her mom drugged her up to the point her teeth fell out. :nms:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

That article seems to be sourced almost entirely from Facebook. I reckon it might pay to wait a bit before making any judgements.

Well duh.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Fyadophobic posted:

A little creepy, but also kind of inspiring, charming, and humorous. I would totally buy some of those as poster prints, and I would love it if they made a home computer version of the software someday.

It looks like one of the dogs from "The Thing".

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not to be "that guy," but Larson asked the internet nicely not to post his stuff around, and we goons have been pretty good about respecting that.

I don't get the joke here. Can someone explain it to me? :confused:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The artist of The Far Side, Gary Larson, wrote a sappy letter to the Internet years ago asking people not to share digital copies of his comics because he and his agent and lawyer and whoever wanted to be able to keep making money from creating and reselling compilations of his work without fear of decreased sales due to file sharing. Goons fell for this poo poo hook line and goddamn sinker and would dogpile anyone who posted a The Far Side image. You were able to post whatever the hell copyrighted poo poo you wanted but goddamn you even try posting "Cow Tools" or whatever he asked nicely he asked nicely nicely he asked nicely he asked nicely he asked nicely he asked nicely

Oh, so the joke was "goons".:geno:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Like they said he was in an induced coma for the vast majority of that. Even if there was a 0.00000001% chance he'd make it, there's still a lot of useful knowledge you can gain by studying and working on someone suffering from a rare (but scientifically important) sickness directly. Think how many rats and rabbits and monkeys we put through hell to further our medical understanding of sickness and injuries and disease, this guy was unlucky enough to get it accidentally, there's no way you throw away an opportunity like that on TOP of trying to argue "morally it's probably safer to put him out of his misery".

hahahahahahahahaha this is the creepiest loving thing I've read in this thread. :shepicide:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
"Well hell, wouldn't it actually be evil if we didn't use every bit of medical technology available to prolong the suffering of our pain-golem?" :psyduck:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Are you kidding me

Maybe it's just too early in the morning, but this sounds like you're totally down with medical experimentation on the terminally ill.

quote:

there's no way you throw away an opportunity like that on TOP of trying to argue "morally it's probably safer to put him out of his misery".

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

13Pandora13 posted:

If they are in a state wherein they are not suffering or in any way conscious, they are at the very end, and the experimentation can possibly save others, uh...yeah? If my death can save others, or drastically improve the lives of others even, and there is zero chance of saving my rear end and I won't feel anything, more power to the science and medicine pioneers. "Ethical" is not black and white, it's very much gray.

I usually evaluate consequentialist and utilitarian approaches to "ethics" with the Bristol Scale, though I can understand why you'd want to compare it to colors.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ernie Muppari posted:

from a strict futilitarian perspective i find any attempt to do anything ever to be immoral

:laffo: this is fantastic. :allears:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

These posts are informative and appreciated. Please keep them going.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Literally Kermit posted:

Have we covered Leob and Leopald in a while?

No, but can we do something a little more obscure? That story feels like it's been done to death.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Literally Kermit posted:

^^^ :unsmith:

Thanks, I can tone the silliness down some if it is distracting.

I make absolutely no apologies about them Duke boys however. :colbert:

Tone nothing down. That post ruled.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Tone down the monkeycheese a bit, and those flight stories would be great posts.

Heaven forfend! Joking around on a comedy forum? Not on Mr. Gibbycrumbles watch!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Literally Kermit posted:

Eh, I don't find constructive criticism unnerving.

Well if it isn't unnerving then it doesn't belong in this thread! :v:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Alain Perdrix posted:

I'm guessing the world where you google "Mt. Everest elevation" and don't pay attention to the "m" following "8,848" :v:

Yeah, well this is the world where America won the cold war, so get those Commie measurements the gently caress off my internet.:patriot:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

RNG posted:

I find your posts pleasant and heartening and therefore off-topic.

I find what he does to punctuation to be slightly unnerving.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Some people are bad, mmk?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

mostlygray posted:

My cousin was almost killed by a serial killer when she was a teenager. She had met a man at a concert and foolishly gave him her address. He came to her house and offered her a ride to school. Once in the car, he suggested ditching school and going somewhere private. She decided not to take him up on the offer and he dropped her off.

The cars owner's body was in the trunk the entire time.

Link the serial killer's wiki entry, please. If you're comfortable doing that.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Screaming Idiot posted:

In this graphic novel by Derf who was actually friends with Dahmer, we see just how tragic he was and where he came from. Dahmer really was human beneath the horrible things he did, and he's just another example of how society can fail people when they need help the most.

That's the scary thing about serial killers, rapists, and other "monsters": they're human, just like anyone else. A person can do awful, terrible things and still pet dogs, laugh with their friends, cry at funerals, and other normal things. They're people, and the biggest mistake we -- and especially the law -- make is to assume they're subhuman.

:monocle: you mean Satan himself didn't plant them on earth to torture us?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Basebf555 posted:

This actually created quite a big derail not that long ago. Some people have a really hard time with the idea that a human being will always be a human being no matter what horrible things they've done.

No that I find far more unnerving than people doing what people have always done, kill.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

mostlygray posted:

I don't recall his name. I'm sure she would remember. It wasn't a huge news story. Just super creepy. I only say serial killer as he had no motive other than trying to abduct and kill a teenager with a corpse already in the trunk. We all avoid talking about it as it was very traumatic for her.

:frogout:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Freudian posted:

The bit about his mom is really loving sick. It would honestly be a better world if his big sister had successfully drowned him.

GEE. I wonder if maybe her trying contributed to his later depravity?:allears:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I'm not sure I should have laughed out loud at that last sentence.

You can laugh or cry; I think laughing is healthier than crying and dehumanizing other people, turning them into monsters instead of figuring out why they became monstrous.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Huh. I didn't know that. A little bit of tangent, but Netflix has a series called "The Fall" about an Irish police force (and a London Metropolitan Police Detective) trying to stop a serial killer who exclusively targets young professional women (as in lawyers and corporate workers, not prostitutes), and one thing I thought was a nice touch was that the killer escaped suspicion for a while because he's a counsellor who deals with grieving couples, and spent years volunteering at a hotline.

I guess now that that probably drew at least some of its inspiration from Bundy, but when I first watched it I just thought it was a cool thing they'd come up with on their own.

You should probably spoiler that and instead just recommend people watch the show, because it is a fantastic examination of serial killers and the hunt to catch them. It is all on Netflix and it is very good.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Literally Kermit posted:

I'm sure it is. My wife will enjoy the twist. Hell, I may have, too.

Not too much ruined, you know who the killer is practically from the beginning. The issue is they dole out information very slowly. So you learn about him as the show goes on.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

FourLeaf posted:

We have a very large population.

Also, we may have a lot, but the award for most vicious serial killers with the highest number of victims goes to Colombia.

Define "most vicious"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Two serial killers running into each other is the twist in the utterly horrifying movie "Man Bites Dog". Except that they also have camera crews with them because they are live-documenting the killers.

Thanks for spoiling that, rear end in a top hat. I hope you're hitching someday and I'm the one who picks you up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Well then why haven't you already seen it?

Sorry though about the tags. I wouldn't recommend watching it. Probably one of the most disturbing movies I have ever seen.

It has been sitting on my desk for months and I'm waiting for a suitable night to watch it, after my fiance has gone to sleep.

Also, this thread is dedicated to the disturbing. Sounds like it should be mandatory viewing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

FourLeaf posted:

Raping, torturing, and strangling literally hundreds of young children.

Here in the US most famous serial killers targeted adults or teens. There are exceptions (Albert Fish), but they're in the minority. Also, few killers in any country managed to match Colombia's huge body count.

Because it is children they're more vicious? Children aren't even people yet.:geno:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Astrofig posted:

Yeah I forget if it was Colombia or Ecuador but this one guy raped and murdered literally 300+ little girls----showed police a giant pit full of bodies in the jungle. Scary part is, I forget if it was via corrupt officials or he just escaped, but he never saw the inside of a jail cell. Guy's still out there somewhere.

He was a Colombian who operated across multiple countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_L%C3%B3pez_%28serial_killer%29

Just because he confessed to hundreds doesn't mean he actually did them, btw. Lots of killers claim to have high body counts after they're caught.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Frostwerks posted:

17 in 4 years sounds like a ton.

Just over one, if you estimate an average weight of 135 per.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

pookel posted:

Yesssssss, mysterious plane crashes are back. My favorite.

:agreed: these posts are fantastic looks at something creepy we don't usually follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Patattack posted:

Are there really anti-seatbelt people in this day and age? Like, not just skipping the seatbelt out of laziness, but actively believing that seatbelts are bad? This is blowing my mind.

There are motorcycle riders who think helmets are bad. Lots of people are stupid.