Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Manuel Calavera posted:

http://www.derfcity.com/store/dahmerpage.html more about Dahmer can be read in this story by Derf Backderf.

This is a really good book. It really is amazing how little people gave a poo poo about what was going on in his life. His parents were both alive but never noticed or cared to do anything. He had a huge and blatant drinking problem in high school that every teacher ignored.

It's honestly hard to read it and not become a little sympathetic to Dahmer; he knew he was hosed from the start and wasn't able to get anyone to help him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Solice Kirsk posted:

For me, I would say that I understand how he became such a broken person, but would never have sympathy for him. The abuse and neglect he was subjected to explains it, but it certainly doesn't excuse his actions. Lots of people come from horrible broken homes or endure way worse hardships than he did and still manage not to try and create a zombie love partner by pouring acid into someone's skull.

His weird desires weren't caused by abuse and neglect, they arose naturally and the social ostracization he experienced left him alone with his thoughts and let them take over his mind. He wasn't born wanting to dismember people, just reserved and unable to connect to others, and there simply wasn't anything stopping him from spiralling down into hell when there should have been plenty of things. Nowadays it would be much tougher for anyone to live the life he did.

IIRC he started killing just a few weeks after he got out of high school and his parents left him alone for good. Society failed Dahmer and, by extension, everyone he hurt. It doesn't excuse his actions at all, it was still his fault, but being Dahmer must've blown really hard. He was a gay reclusive teenager alcoholic in the 70s, who could tell that his compulsive thoughts were leading him straight to bad poo poo but never had the strength to stop. I don't see why I can't feel sympathetic towards everyone involved in his story.

Cobweb Heart has a new favorite as of 07:24 on Jul 29, 2014

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I find the case of Dahmer more tragic than anything and feel like it was a failure of society as a whole.

I agree. It's funny because I've actually seen a quote of his where he specifically says (paraphrased) "it wasn't my parent's or society's fault; the entirety of the blame rests on me", which is probably the best thing a serial killer can say along with "I regret everything I've done and if I could die to bring them all back I'd do it," which Dahmer also said.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

"If I lived almost my entire life constantly bullied, grievously alcoholic, repeatedly abandoned, hating myself for being gay, and increasingly unable to understand how to connect with other humans, in the middle of poo poo nowhere with no prospects and nothing to do, I would never develop any weird compulsions because I'm mentally stronger than others and humans are inherently good except for a few who aren't and that's that. :colbert:"

Of course it doesn't justify what he did, but drat, people, you really can't see why he might have been a fine person if his situation had been different? I think mostly people are just scared to think that if they were unlucky enough, they might end up stuck with compulsive thoughts about killing. Most people never even consider what it would be like to have thoughts that won't go away, let alone having them for years without a single person trustworthy enough to talk to about it. Seriously, imagine if you developed obsessive-compulsive violent thoughts as a kid and you never had the opportunity to talk to a therapist, you just drank yourself stupid every day for years to forget about it. You'd get hosed up and the way you think about others would change. Any resulting violence would still be your fault but chances are you'd be pretty quick to place some of the blame on your mental state, unwise teenage coping mechanisms, and everyone else's inability to notice or do anything, which Dahmer refrained from doing.

Cobweb Heart has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Jul 30, 2014

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Lithopedions/"stone babies" are super interesting. Basically, when a fetus dies in the womb, the body is occasionally unable to safely reabsorb it, and so to prevent the internal dead tissue from becoming a problem, just calcifies the whole thing and writes off the space. So often you're just having a normal pregnancy and then the baby... vanishes, and never comes out. In some especially rare cases they can actually stay inside the bodies for decades without being noticed while other pregnancies occur around them.

And in a similar "bodies are amazing", but much more :neckbeard: way, here's primordial dwarfism-afflicted Charlotte Garside next to a really big rabbit.

ravenkult posted:

Where's the sympathy for the actual people that got murdered because of this rear end in a top hat?

Everywhere the Dahmer case is brought up even tangentially, including both times it's come up in the Wikipedia threads. Maybe I should go edit cusses in front of every mention of his name so nobody forgets what he was famous for doing :rolleyes:

And to me, Konerak Sinthasomphone, the kid who almost got away before the police handed him right back to that murderous piece of poo poo Dahmer, has a pretty memorable name and story, enough to stick in my head. It's up to you to contribute if you think the victims are being ignored.

SheepNameKiller posted:

I guess what makes me cringe about it is just the fact that there are plenty of other people more worthy of sympathy... And he handed out many times the amount of abuse he suffered.

My unnerving experience is realizing that some people are worried they might run out of sympathy, and they apparently think they can mathematically determine who's worth it. I know that's not really what you think, but look at what you wrote! You knows sympathy just means pity or regret in these contexts? It's like saying "ain't that a shame".

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Jesus, thanks for spoilering that. Even though of course I looked at it anyway.

Christman Genipperteinga was a mythical but incredibly brutal serial killing robber from late 1500s Germany. The wiki article is really fantastically written and presents the story very clearly before diving into a lot of fascinating accounts of similarities between various figures mentioned throughout literature of the time.

quote:

Sex slave

Shortly after he took up residence at Frassberg, Christman met an intended victim, the young daughter of a cooper in Popert. She was traveling to Trier to meet her brother. Struck by her beauty, however, he changed his mind and ordered her under death threats to come and live with him. He made her swear she would never betray him, and for the next 7 years, she served his sexual wants. Whenever he went out to find new victims, he bound her with a chain so that she could not escape. He fathered 6 children with her but at birth he killed them, pressing in their necks (original: "hat er den Kindern das Genick eingedrückt").

Christman used to hang up their bodies, and stretched them out (orig: "aufgehängt und ausgedehnt"). As the wind made the little corpses move, he said:

"Tanzt liebe Kindlein tanzt, Gnipperteinga euer Vater macht euch den Tanz"

("Dance dear, little child, dance! Gnipperteinga your father has made the dance for you!")

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YTmDEQWY2A

This guy explains some of what the deal with the bomb was. It basically was incredibly sensitive despite being a copier-sized metal box and there was no way to move or get inside at the explosives and mechanism without setting it off.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Dylanthulhu posted:

Wandered off, died, had the odd sort of scribbles and gibberish his family said he wrote sometimes on him.

Regularly "scribbling" neatly-formatted lines of adeptly, consistently formed letters and numbers, as well as parentheses, apostrophes, and fractions, is a peculiar habit on its own, so it's even more bizarre that there isn't a clear consensus from his family members - including his own parents - as to whether he could write at all and how semantic his writing was.

I read an interesting theory that dissected the note and suggested it's a shorthand journal of his mental health and medication - you can see a (3XOR[a]L) in there, for instance.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Wedemeyer posted:

being hunted by another human being while being in the middle of the forest is one of my nightmares.

I read this a being hunted by a human BONG and an awful, visceral image ran through my head and scared me. A man-sized bong with the legs of a sprinting bodybuilder, easily smashing black trees as it scampers indefatigably after you. So it's a perfect post in this thread; thank you.

This story is pretty nice as a headline! but it's mundane if you look into it.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

pookel posted:

Can you not?

He's facetiously calling for live torture and murder. You already know what sort of person he is. It doesn't matter if he used a mean word. It would not have been better if he had substituted "jerk". Your saying something isn't going to make him stop. Nobody in this discussion is going to be satisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Well, they just found 12 girls in a Josef Fritzl-type situation in Pennsylvania. If you want to find the news about it, the dude is named Lee Kaplan, but the stories all broke so early that the really crazy details will no doubt emerge and be clarified later.

quote:

Twelve girls, ranging in age from six months to 18 years old, were found Thursday inside the home of a Bucks County, Pennsylvania man, who has been charged with allegedly sexual assaulting one of the girls from 2012 to 2015, according to NBC10.

The suspect, Lee Kaplan, 51, allegedly fathered at least one of the children, the six-month-old, according to the report.

Police are also investigating an allegation that one of the teenage girls was sold by her parents to Kaplan. The parents are in custody, police said.