Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I became curious about people taking this drug and found this little gem:

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/360165-Phenazepam-First-Time-Priceless-Warning

Apologies for it not being a Wiki page, I thought it was topical and hilarious. The best quote is "I am a very responsible person when it comes to drugs."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Literally Kermit posted:

Lastly most unnearving and scary this the DSV Alvin is still in service after all these years and several refits. Scary awesome. Keep exploring the deep, little buddy. See what you can see. :unsmith:

My mom got to go and see the Alvin recently which was pretty cool. She brought back a styrofoam cup that had started out at 7" high. They put them on the Alvin and after coming back from deapth, the cups are shrunk down to little perfect 2" versions of the original cup. Pressure is cool when it's not exploding your brains.

edit for content:
I felt like I already posted this link but apparently I didn't.
http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/predators/rais/index_1.html

I could have linked to the Wikipedia article but I liked the way crime library broke it down better. I really like the idea of historical serial killers because you can't ever really be sure if they did what history said they did. Gilles de Rais was a French nobleman and soldier who spent time fighting alongside Joan of Arc as her main general and advisor. The two of them helped put Charles II on France's throne. Joan was by all accounts an all around general badass but Gilles was later accused of some unsavory activity. He seemed to be on good behavior when he was hacking through dudes on behalf of Joan of Arc and Charles II but after the fighting he got up to some shenanigans and got away with it as one of the richest men in France. Namely he kidnapped, sexually molested, and killed young boys followed by disemboweling them and loving their entrails.

He admitted to this in court and had people testify that he did these things as well but was he actually an early sexual serial killer or was this some political plot? It's an interesting read and makes you think.

JibbaJabberwocky has a new favorite as of 00:13 on Aug 9, 2014

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

This thread has really made my interested in the West Memphis Three case, as it really has yet to be solved. I saw there was a more recent documentary on the case called 'West of Memphis' that I'm going to try and sit down and watch tomorrow when I have a minute. 'Paradise Lost' was just too huge for me to tackle. If anyone has seen this new film, is it any good? I think this newer film seems shorter and more concise. From what I can find it seems like Terry Hobbs is the likely suspect, even though the other stepfather acted like a loving weirdo after the trial. Apparently he's been overheard confessing to it by family members but IDK how accurate that is. Also seems like authorities are refusing to re-open the case based on the new evidence, which isn't surprising considering they tossed three innocent teens into jail over the affair and it wont make them look too good in retrospect if they find the real killer after all these years. Especially if it was a family member (the first place police look, right?)

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Ive just watched the pbs documentary of the Willingham case on Netflix, and if there's one thing that and the wm3 case have taught me, it's that people in charge will go out of their way to avoid admitting mistakes and apologising.

The senator or DA or whoever it was at the end of the film told reporters (after firing the people who'd told him the guy was innocent) that Willingham was a bad man and that's what they should focus on. Because Willingham, just before being put to death for a crime that was never committed, told his wife he hoped she'd 'loving rot in hell'. For lying, so he'd get the death sentence, for a crime that was never committed.

I actually saw that episode of Frontline back when it first aired and only now just realized that was the same case as the article. Definitely Willingham was a lovely guy but he was killed with basically no actual evidence supporting that he committed arson.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

This thread has really made me interested in the West Memphis Three case, as it really has yet to be solved. I saw there was a more recent documentary on the case called 'West of Memphis' that I'm going to try and sit down and watch tomorrow when I have a minute.
So I did finish the film. It's shorter than watching all the pieces of the Paradise Lost saga and also more concise. It covers events from the day of the deaths up until after they have been released from prison and sort of describes the entire journey. I was super surprised to see just how massively the police and others involved in trying the case hosed up. There was rampant bribery of witnesses, coercion, and they also misrepresented evidence like the knife that was found. Not to mention the fact that the time scene was torn to pieces before it was ever searched for evidence. The man who found the bodies tripped on one of the little boys and fell into the crime scene and all the bodies were pulled from the river before the coroner was present. And then those assholes had the gall to say the bodies were mutilated when those wounds had been inflicted by turtles after the death.

There is also an excellent section that lays out evidence supporting Terry Hobbs' guilt, with information included that I had not seen anywhere else:
-Hobbs lacks an alibi for two hours on the night of the murders
-He was seen with the boys by neighbors during this two hour time period but insists he never saw the boys that day
-His hair was found at the crime scene and DNA matched to a sample taken from him, as was DNA evidence that belonged to a friend he visited directly before the murders
-Family members attested that Hobbs' stepson admitted to them that Hobbs sexually molested him and his sister, and that his stepfather was very violent in general but especially violent towards him
-Hobbs' nephew states that he was told by his father (Hobbs' brother) that his uncle had been the one to kill those boys and this was known as 'the Hobbs family secret.'

I'd like to see the case go back to trial but even with the Alford plea I think this is unlikely. The whole point of the plea is so the defendant can say "I'm innocent but I'm pleading guilty anyway" which removes culpability for the false imprisonment from the state. So the state cannot be sued for the actions of the police force, judge, and prosecuters in the original and appellate cases. It's depressing because there is so much more information tying Hobbs to the crime than there ever was for those three boys. The police never even interviewed Hobbs regarding the boys' deaths, though usually the family is the FIRST place they look. I think even with the fact that they're legally protected, they refuse to admit to protect their political careers that they ever made a mistake.

This and the Willingham case are excellent examples of the state acting incompetently and nefariously to shoehorn the idea that these were cult related in order to deceive the bible thumping and gullible jury to condemn the accused before the trials even began. Never underestimate the effect saying "they did it because Satan!" has on a conservative redneck population. In exchange for throwing their morals out the window, they gained fame and notoriety and were able to further their political careers as a result.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

After his 4th or 5th tirade about how there are literal hordes of paranoid schizophrenics waiting to skin your children alive I had to unsubscribe.

Alouicious posted:

reading that one episode summary about how there are mentally ill people lurking around every corner waiting to murder you was really loving strange and I have never heard of this podcast before

This is made extra funny by the fact that statistically you're much much more likely to be skinned alive by someone who does not have a mental illness. You'd think that would be something he would have picked up on in the course of doing those podcasts. In general paranoid schizophrenics tend to be pretty harmless. It's the mild-mannered accountants you've got to watch out for.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

I went to school in the U.S. and Japan's atrocities like Nanking were never really covered or mentioned at all, even though we went over WWII and stuff like the Holocaust pretty much every year from probably 5th grade onward. I could easily see how someone might not know about it.

Come to think of it there wasn't even that much about the Pacific theater in general other than "Pearl Harbor happened and then we dropped some nuclear bombs a while later." It was pretty much all Hitler and Holocaust.

My school didn't discuss Nanking either but it's kind of something that pops up pretty frequently in popular culture. I can't imagine someone not knowing about it by the time they hit 18. I'm trying to figure out what sort of rock you'd have to live under to have no idea about it.

For content:
http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/weird/chase/index_1.html

The only serial killer with schizophrenia I can think of off the top of my head is Richard Chase. He was driven by the paranoid and persistent delusion that he was a vampire who needed to consume blood otherwise his organs would turn to dust but he also raped his dead victims so it can't be said that was his only motivation. I feel like this guy distinctly sticks out to me in my mind because he is just so weird and disorganized. He has this strange fascination urine and feces and would wander into people's houses to poop in their beds and would shove feces into the mouths of those he'd killed (after consuming their blood and organs). He also put babies in blenders not once but TWICE though in the current crime library database only one of these instances is still noted. I do remember that the first time I read about him on Crime Library they said he removed the fetus of his one pregnant victim, placed it into a blender, and then drank it out of a yogurt container but that information is missing now. That's not really an easy thing to forget about the case though its removal may indicate it was disproved. He did blend the organs of at least one baby though, which makes him extra scary and unnerving.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Steampunk iPhone posted:

I'm amazed that I've never heard about this before. Crazy disappearance case from my hometown. No one's been able to identify the book found at the scene, and there's still no explanation for the bizarre objects that kept showing up in the forest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orillia_Incident
I'm definitely not sleeping tonight. :tinfoil:

I want this to be real and not a troll. It's always more fun when it's something local that a goon has firsthand knowledge of. Unless it's something like what goes on in my town, in which case the mystery isn't so fun. There's whole mountain of uncaught serial rapists that have been active in my small city since the 70s, none of whom have been caught. Doesn't seem like our police force has put a lot of effort into catching any of these guys though, certainly there isn't a lot of information on any of the cases, even the most recent ones.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Quit leaving everyone hanging you chutney ferret

I'm sorry you guys, there wasn't a lot I could find. However I did try my best and russeled up some old news articles. Looks like I was unfair to the police, they did do some arresting in these cases. I live in a college town so there are a lot of young women to target. And not just a lot of women but a lot of really intoxicated women who make an easy target. We have more bars per capita than anywhere else in the country. My old town is serious about getting shitfaced.

Here is a breakdown of our serial rapists from the 70's to 1996, some of the guys were caught but not all: http://onlineathens.com/stories/111900/new_1119000034.shtml
Here's another article about our long history of serial rapes: http://onlineathens.com/stories/111900/new_1119000029.shtml

This is part of the most recent string of rapes, a man posing as a taxi driver and picking up young women from downtown. Instead of taking them home, he kidnaps and rapes them. One of the ladies was dumped in a friend of mine's yard, out in the country, and had to call the police from their house. This guy has yet to be caught.

2007 Taxi rapes: http://www.redandblack.com/news/second-woman-abducted-by-man-in-white-van/article_5383c5b5-a612-5579-82cc-0a63c698bd29.html?TNNoMobile

And then the guy they thought did it had an alibi. His alibi was assaulting another set of women elsewhere in town: http://onlineathens.com/stories/112807/madison_20071128022.shtml

It happened again in 2010, in a different van. The question is, is it the same guy? http://onlineathens.com/stories/090610/new_704980803.shtml

JibbaJabberwocky has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Jan 21, 2015

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I can't stop reading Texas Monthly.

A Kiss Before Dying

Maybe it's because I believe everyone should have the right to die if they want to but I didn't like how the article tried to insinuate that the boyfriend was to blame, that she was just being dramatic. Like, at some point before maybe she was just being a drama queen but after you pick out the gun, its kind of on you.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

CrotchDropJeans posted:

Seriously? Even a teenager from a 50's hick town should have no problem figuring out that just because somebody asks doesn't mean you have to do it. And weighing her body down in water, lying to cops about it, and then telling the police you didn't think you'd get caught so quickly doesn't exactly give the impression that he was forced into participating in her suicide plot. I know that social attitudes and resources for mental health were completely different back then, but the fact that she asked several other people to do it and none of them even considered it kind of makes it obvious that he was a willing participant in her death when he didn't have to be.

I got the sense that he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. I don't know why but the way they described him in the article made him sound like a huge autist or with a low IQ at the very least. I think the fact that he did follow through with it is evidence of his mental handicap. He wasn't some sort of cunning killer, he was persuaded to do a bad thing by someone he had cared for. I'm not trying to make her out to be the villain here (though it sounds like Narcissistic PD runs in her family) but he's also not the bad guy in this case in my opinion. He definitely didn't have to do it and he definitely shouldn't have done it but I get the sense that none of that poo poo ever occurred to him because he was a grade A idiot.

That being said, it would have been really hard for someone of her means to actually find psych help, let alone afford the medication they would no doubt throw at her. All of which comes after trying to get her parents to go along with it and considering their strained relationship I don't forsee her getting any mental health help anytime soon.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Khazar-khum posted:

It'd be more understandable if the family hadn't disobeyed medical orders and fed the girl while she was in recovery. That seems to have been what ruptured the sutures, causing massive blood loss and death. The family keeps changing its story about that.

It is tragic the girl died. She looks like she was a happy girl. But what the family is doing now is downright macabre.

I can't find any real, reliable evidence that she ate anything other than a popsicle and nothing at all about her eating against Dr. orders post-surgery. Anyone have a source for this?

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Serious Cephalopod posted:

Also: thanks doc for freaking out at me in the procedures room when I was on muscle relaxers on doctor's orders to get my IUD put in. Not letting anyone hold my hand and screaming at me before throwing everything down and running out of the room almost immediately really helped.

What the gently caress did you do during the procedure that made the doc flip their poo poo so hard? Why would hand holding have helped?

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

13Pandora13 posted:

It's very painful to have put in (especially if you haven't had kids) and it sounds like the doctor was an rear end in a top hat. I had a pretty similar experience when I got mine put in (I basically had to fight to get it in the first place, and then the doctor was a real bitch about the whole process after she finally relented).

If you're not rearin' to get knocked up you get treated like a second class citizen at a lot of OB/GYN places.
I never said that they can't be obnoxious about permanent birth control when you don't have kids, 'cause Doctors really can be jerks about that. That's mostly because a lot of people DO eventually change their mind about kids, though plenty don't. So the ones who don't get screwed over by overly cautious docs who are trying to cover their own asses.

I was asking because I had an IUD placed with no medication and I've never given birth either. It wasn't bad enough to need hand holding or for the doctor to leave in disgust. I'm not saying Doctors aren't sometimes assholes because they really are but patients can be really infuriating too. Doctors make crazy bucks from these procedures and it would take a lot from the patient to send one out of the room in disgust rather than finish and collect their sweet sweet money. I want to know what caused the doc to leave so rudely. That sort of poo poo doesn't happen without provocation. Maybe it wasn't Serious Cephalopod but her post made it sound like she did something to set him off.

edit: Sorry if it sounds like I'm being a dick but that add-on sentence about IUD insertion reads like one of those vague Facebook posts you see where the person is desperate for their friends to ask them about their horrifying experience. So I'm biting. What happened?

JibbaJabberwocky has a new favorite as of 04:44 on Feb 1, 2015

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Vaginismus is a condition I can think of off hand that would make getting an IUD inserted the height of shittiness. Involuntary spasming of the muscles in the area at any attempted penetration.

A perfectly logical answer but I am curious why one would get an IUD if it's not really even possible to have penetrative sex in the first place due to the pain? I understand that birth control provides benefits beyond contraception but can't imagine why and IUD would be chosen above other less invasive options if vaginismus makes the insertion almost impossible.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Khazar-khum posted:

http://sprocket-trials.blogspot.com/2012/01/death-of-jahi-mcmath-quick-links.html

The stories are all over the map. The family will say something like they were all talking to her, then say she was alone in the ICU, then say they were eating food, then say she bled out and no one noticed or cared. They saw her in recovery, then they didn't, then the grandmother was suctioning her, then she wasn't because she was looking for a doctor. Nurses helped, but didn't, but did, and so on.

Of the images supposedly taken recently to show she's alive, there's no sign of the ventilator that's keeping her going. Interestingly, the videos seem to show up whenever they are launching a 'Save Jahi' Gofundme campaign.

Oh wow, not saying that link wasn't comprehensive but I definitely don't have time to weed through that to find one statement about eating a cheeseburger or not. It does seem like the family has changed their story a ton of times which makes them sound super duper non-credible. I am deeply curious if the grandmother actually suctioned her because that, done improperly, could have been exactly what started her bleeding post-op and eventually killed her. Weren't they saying the grandmother was a RN and it turned out she wasn't at all? And apparently they're saying that the hospital gave them a suction device so they could do it themselves? In PACU... Which makes zero sense because no one in ANY facility would hand over equipment to the family ever, let alone after surgery involving the head and neck. It sounds like they started her hemorrhaging when they suctioned her and now are fighting desperately to cover up their stupid mistakes.

Serious Cephalopod posted:

He left because I cried.

That's literally all I wanted to know. Thank you for responding.

Sorry I upset everyone else by assuming that doctors, as human beings, react to external stimuli and tend not to pitch random fits for no reason and storm out of procedures. I wasn't trying to insinuate Serious Cephalopod was wrong to have whatever reaction she had to the procedure, I just wanted to know what she did to make him leave. Apparently crying was what he just couldn't stand, which makes him a lovely doctor and a manchild.

And that's the last I'll participate in this derail. Sorry that asking a question made me literally hitler.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Under the vegetable posted:

I can talk about my balls more if you want, broheim.

Only if your balls are scary or unnerving, at which point I for one would like to hear more about them.

edit: For content...

http://www.npr.org/2015/01/29/382483367/you-can-be-convinced-to-confess-to-an-invented-crime-study-finds

This came up on my feed the other day and I really appreciated NPR for sitting down and laying everything out for me. We've talked a lot in this thread about coercion of confessions. It's really scary to realize that 70% of people could be coerced into believing they had done something that, in reality, never occurred. It just sort of reaffirms that most of us aren't in prison not because we've never committed a crime but because the police have never been convinced we have committed a crime and gone after us.

JibbaJabberwocky has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Feb 2, 2015

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Are you drunk, high, or both?

Neither. Admittedly it was a convoluted sentence but I think it still makes sense? I was just trying to say it's scary that the police are able to use tactics to convince innocent people to confess to crimes they didn't commit.We tend to be under the impression that if we don't commit a crime, we're somehow safe from prison. But when so many people are convicted despite their innocence, it's real unnerving.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Gibfender posted:

Oh man, it's been so long since some did that and I fell for it - it's almost refreshing

After assuming I would see soap and teacakes made from bodies, the inside of his anus is really a relief.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Sand Monster posted:

One of which some claim was Woody Harrelson's father, an assassin.

One of the weirdest things to me is the sheer number of people willing to confess to a crime they didn't commit. To the point where a confession isn't even close to a guarantee. I guess some people will take infamy if they cannot have fame.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

blunt for century posted:

Can someone post a bunch of links to weird side effects of diseases that are being brought back by anti-vaxxers? I know there were some posts on this a few pages ago, but I want just a shitload of links to as many side-effects, secondary diseases, and all the various ways not getting vaccinated can gently caress poo poo up for a bunch of people so I can bookmark it and then throw links to it at people on facebook who are anti-vax

The problem with your plan is that it's almost never about the science for those people. They already know the science, they know the consequences, and none of that is sinking in. It's a status thing, a symbol of privilege, to be anti-vaccine in this day and age. People who don't vaccinate themselves or their children feel empowered and confident in the knowledge that they, as part of a special and super intelligent few, have one-upped the rest of us. It's like they're all in a race to be the most granola parents of them all. The same thing that drives conspiracy theorists to be smug fuckers and drives rich, affluent teens to dress, act, and live as if they are homeless for some sort of bizarre street cred is the thing that makes these parents decide not to vaccinate their children. They will not be moved by pictures of children dying from complications of these diseases because they get more out of being able to brag about being anti-vaccine to their PTA friends.

The assholes who decided gluten was poison and went gluten free when they had no symptoms have just aged and had kids. Those same people are now stupidly making anti-vaccine decisions to be part of the same, hosed up type of trend with no scientific basis.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

Thought this was pretty interesting:

http://listverse.com/2015/02/18/10-sudden-developments-in-mysteries-weve-been-following/

Some of the cases on the list have been discussed here, I think? Obviously most ended in tragedy, but it's nice that their families were able to get some closure :unsmith:

This was pretty cool since it went down the list of some very well-known missing person cases. I always felt extra bad for the Greatful Dead guy since they had a body but no one made any effort to claim him. Some of the older cases being solved makes me feel more hopeful about them learning the identity of the boy in the box (:nms: for autopsy photos). That's another case that's always stuck with me. I hope they figure out where he came from one day.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Aircraft crashes are my poo poo, there are tons of channels on youtube with versions of different shows. Air Craft Investigation (its named a lot of different things depending on country) is my favorite. Somehow I'm completely entranced by crashes despite the fact that I have panic attacks so bad before flying that I have to drug myself heavily before each flight to avoid spending the entirety of the flight in stark terror. My interest in the shows came after I was convinced I'd die on every flight. I find the episodes where they land safely really soothing and the episodes where it all goes to poo poo soothing too because they always discuss the measures taken to prevent a crash like that from happening again.

The episode about this crash is my favorite: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider but I also really suggest the episodes about Aloha Airlines 243 and the one about the plane landing in the Hudson river.

There's also a really great documentary about TWA Flight 800 which makes the US investigators involved look really loving sketchy. It comes and goes from Netflix but you can probably find it elsewhere. I'm not really a conspiracy theorist but I definitely believe that that aircraft was shot down by a missile. It even seems likely it was an American missile but regardless of who shot it down, the US definitely covered it up.

JibbaJabberwocky has a new favorite as of 15:29 on Mar 23, 2015

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Frog Act posted:

The Sword and Scale podcast covered the Li thing. It was pretty interesting and they talked to the mother of the victim about how she felt about Li's privileges. Both she and the host think it's an abrogation of justice (I agree in this case) but it does raise interesting questions about culpability and punishment in such serious cases.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/greyhound-killer-believed-man-he-beheaded-was-an-alien-1.1131575

"In the interview with Summerville on Saturday, Li said he feels sorry for what he did and doubts he will ever know happiness again." :smith:

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

If anyone legitimately wants to find it, it's in PYF. I just bumped it with DemonDarkhorse's link because it was topical to that thread.

edit: I just stumbled upon this article. It seems legit but I'm not familiar with the site so take that with a grain of salt. Apparently some Polish fisherman recently caught the biggest and oldest catfish ever (12 ft long, 400lbs, and 100 years old). When they opened it up they found the remains of a Nazi SS officer inside of the fish who had died and been eaten by it in the early 1940's.

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/remains-of-nazi-officer-discovered-inside-100-year-old-giant-catfish/

JibbaJabberwocky has a new favorite as of 15:15 on Apr 19, 2015

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Alereon posted:

That's a joke site, ala Weekly World News.

Duly noted.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Chicken Butt posted:

Update: the indigestible Nazi guy came back to life and is currently rampaging through the Polish countryside. Apparently he mostly turns up behind people who have just gotten out of the shower and are wiping the fog off of their bathroom mirrors.

This is totally true, guys

If someone wrote this into a story and posted it in the Ghost Stories thread, I would totally read it.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

3 posted:

I was just reminded of a documentary from a couple of years back where a group of researchers jammed a Boeing 737 full of sensors and crash dummies so they could fly it remotely into the Sonoran desert and get some real experimental data on what goes on at the point of impact. Interestingly, this kind of test has only been done twice, the first time in 1984 by NASA and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvbGiuKbmGM

The footage captured from inside the plane on impact is actually really neat, but the experimental results as summed up by the program are kind of pedestrian: "if the plane goes in nose-first, the passengers up front are probably going to die!"

This video is a great watch just for the fact that they fly the plane into the ground with a tiny remote control made for hobby planes.

I also found a playlist on youtube that has (what looks like) most of the episodes of Air Disasters/Air Craft Investigation/ Mayday for anyone who wants to catch up on the ones they missed.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIQysra_ezMZh3cNGeBAnxKNrtsAuzMwW

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Madkal posted:

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because my roommate started talking about David Paulides who did research into people disappearing at national parks and never being found again (or being found miles away in strange places). He even started a website about the missing people who disappeared under a strange circumstances (or easier theory, just got lost in the woods but don't tell my roommate that).

I feel like I fell down some sort of rabbit hole after looking into this guy's research. I am genuinely so mad that it was this sort of chucklefuck who decided to undertake the effort of cataloging disappearances in National Parks. Like, I went into it hoping it would be Krakauer-esque but it's just a lot of heavy-handed insinuations that these people could never possibly hosed up in any way because they were all Boy Scouts or some poo poo. I wanted it to be objective but it was just a lot of this guy none-too-gently elbowing you in the side and insisting that something spooky was going on. :ghost: Don't get me wrong, some of the disappearances definitely feel like foul play but like foul play on the part of a creepy adult and not foul play on the part of child-and-corpse-raping bigfoots.

If he wasn't so heavy-handed with his insinuations I'd honestly consider trying to get my hands on one of his books. As it stands, ain't no way in hell I'm paying $100 to read the whole collection. I'm super surprised his Missing 411 stuff isn't easy to find online for free. I wish I could read up more on the cases mentioned in his books (like the children showing up huge distances away from where they went missing or the girl who was supposedly raped after she fell to her death) but I guess I have to accept that it's not to be. I just wish this guy hadn't been a paranormal conspiracy theorist because it completely calls into question his credibility, especially when it comes down to his descriptions of how the National Park Service and other SAR agencies are either not on top of tracking this poo poo at all or actively attempting to hamper search attempts.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Gonna be honest, dude's website reads like he wrote it while on some sort of stimulant. Or he's just manic. Either way normal people aren't that dumb and paranoid (hopefully).

Oh and I read that two of the missing people he lists in one of his books were later discovered to have been killed by a serial killer working in the area however he completely doesn't include that information in the book. That and the fact that he makes a lot of stupid statements about how things (location of bodies, missing or intact clothing, etc) couldn't possibly have happened for normal reasons. It just makes it obvious that he's got a weird agenda and it would be SO GOOD if he could have put a lid on that poo poo and written it well. Like, he's selling a few copies of his books to weirdos but he'd probably be rolling in dough if he wrote and marketed it like any other generic interesting nonfiction piece.

JibbaJabberwocky has a new favorite as of 01:13 on Jun 22, 2015

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Karma Monkey posted:

I like when he comments on a missing person's status in red letters: "Body Found in the area of the search but not found by searchers." :tinfoil:

Jesus Christ this a hundred times. People miss stuff on searches all the freaking time. I think he's forgetting that a lot of the time searchers are spread really thin and they're also usually just random nice people from the community who dedicate their time to helping out, not trained professionals. Also he seems to think that SAR dogs are 100% infallible and they can smell everything forever and that it's totally impossible for one of them to not be able to find a thing that is there. Like dogs are awesome and they can smell some poo poo but they aren't made of pure magic. :dogout:

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Someone earlier in the thread linked to a Reddit were people were recounting their stories of weird experiences in the woods and it felt like every other person had a story where they stumbled upon a clandestine Marijuana operation. NPR did a pretty good article on the topic and they also captured the fact that the guys who run these operations are dangerous and really don't like being seen and reported. I thought it was odd that basically everyone in that thread had a story about either finding a crop or being menaced by scary men who were protecting a crop and then I remembered that my friends and I stumbled upon a grow operation in Tallgrass Prarie in central Kansas with basically minimal effort. So I guess it's not exactly surprising that everyone and their mother has had experiences like that in National Parks throughout the US. Point being that this seems like a valid reason people sometimes disappear in them.

But maybe the bigfoot illuminati are the ones running all of these grow operations from behind the scenes and it still comes back to them. :iiam:

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Don't forget that contractures are definitely a thing. I am doubtful that this girl tries to escape from bed on her own but honestly finding someone like her with their legs drawn up is pretty much expected. Muscles don't like it when they're not being used.

And also yeah I'm not seeing anything like tissue necrosis in any of those photos. Trust me, if tissue is dead it's super obvious. I still think its wrong to keep her "alive" but she looks like she's not doing too bad just from her outward condition. Of course her backside is where all the pooling and ulceration would begin so that's not saying much.

JibbaJabberwocky has a new favorite as of 17:03 on Jul 12, 2015

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

So is Locked-in Syndrome real?
As someone who works in the medical field, let me assure you it is 100% real. I think typically it results from traumatic brain injury or hypoxic brain injury and, depending on the area of the brain that is damaged it is definitely possible for a person to only really have physical control over their blinking reflex. Blinking and other reflexes are more likely to remain in a person who has lost the ability to control their own movements which I think may be why that is the one movement they gain control over.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I watched Coldwater on Netflix the other day and it made me think about some of the articles I'd read about private reform programs for troubled youth in the past. It's a pretty engaging film and while it's decidedly fictional, some of the content is based on true events. If you watch the film you'll see parallels between the story of Coldwater and the deaths of Gina Score and Nicholaus Contreraz as well as events at Tierra Blanca and Dozier (which was state funded).

So lets set the scene, you're a troubled child. Maybe you hung with the wrong crowd and got involved in drugs. Maybe you were sexually abused as a child or you have an undiagnosed mental illness. Maybe you're parents don't like the fact that you're gay or maybe you don't get along with your new stepmother. Essentially your parents see you a a 'problem' and they think they've found a good tough love solution that will straighten you out with good old-fashioned discipline. Your parents can pay a private organization to send men into your room in the middle of the night. These men will handcuff you and forcibly remove you from your home while you're crying and screaming. Maybe you'll be placed in a van and driven to the facility in the US or maybe you'll be put on an airplane and sent to a 'school' in Central or South America but regardless of where you end up the program is subject to little if ANY government oversight. Your parents wont know what's happening to you, will be told not to believe anything you say, and you will be prevented from contacting them in any way that isn't controlled by the facility. You'll be stuck at that facility until you either internalize all of the mental and physical abuse and follow the program to completion, your parents pull you out willingly against program advice, or you reach the age of 18.

It's probably not surprising that there is a lot of abuse, neglect, and avoidable deaths associated with programs like these. Most of the staff are uneducated and poorly trained, there are few if any mental health and medical personnel on site, and they usually follow a regime of weird behavior change techniques, brainwashing, and torture tactics to get children to conform. The good news is that a lot of these facilities have been closed down but thousands of children had to be abused for those programs to close. I think all of the WWASP programs abroad were closed after allegations of child abuse. However many abusive programs are still open and functioning within the US and there is little to no oversight of these programs by the government and even less oversight when the program is considered a 'religious school'. Frequently authorities choose to disbelieve children who come forward with allegations of abuse.

quote:

“Every time I’d have a seizure, they’d punish me for it,” he says. “I woke up one day outside in the dirt with a terrible headache, and I asked one of the other students, ‘Why am I in the dirt? Why am I hurting so bad?’ And he said that I’d had a seizure, and one of the staff members told me to stop faking or he was going to kick me in the head. I was having a seizure, and I wasn’t coherent, so he came and kicked me in the head. I was still having a seizure, so he decided to throw me off the porch.
Account from Tierra Blanca (still in operation)

quote:

"Harold gets this little thing called a Kubaton off his keychain. It’s made out of titanium but long, probably eight inches long by two centimeters in diameter. Every time Morgan is not sitting flat on the post, he starts hitting him on the head with it. This kid is getting beaten over the head with the baton for like an hour and a half. So we wake up in the morning and Morgan’s head is about twice the size as it was the day before. His eyes are swollen completely shut. He just looked like an alien. He couldn’t even walk without someone helping him."
Account from Tierra Blanca

quote:

I had learned over the years I've spent in "programs" that it's best to use the "smile & nod" tactic, so I made "upper levels" fast. The "upper levels" kind of run the programs. They help with the seminars also. I was helping staff a seminar of kids around 13, 14, 15 years old.One of the processes they do is called "numbers" where they give you a "number" like "spoiled brat" or "tough guy."Well, this 14 year old girl was given the title "Daddy's Slut" because her father had raped & molested her, but she would not tell anyone. Me and another "upper" were "assigned" to this girl, our jobs were to make her "run her number" then teach her to recognize it, and snap out of it.Well, she did not want to "run her number" and me and the other "upper level" did not know exactly what to do.The seminar leader came over & talked to us and he told the other "upper" to pull out his penis and wave it at her.And he wanted me to say some really horrible things to the girl, like "You're a slut. Nothing but a slut!" "You know you want it!" etc., etc.I refused to do it again, but the seminar leader made me stand there and watch as he and the other "upper level" went through it.All this time the girl was crying & shaking and...she was looking at me for help and I couldn't do poo poo. I couldn't do nothing but close my eyes! I couldn't do nothing as they abused this girl. I can't imagine what her dreams are like now.
Account from Casa by the Sea WWASP facility

There are a lot of great longform articles to read on this topic from many different sources:
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/08/when-wilderness-boot-camps-take-tough-love-too-far/375582/
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2000/11/camp-fear
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/08/new-bethany-ifb-teen-homes-abuse
http://projects.huffingtonpost.com/prisoners-of-profit

And some sites with good news article links or personal accounts:
http://www.nospank.net/boot.htm
http://wwaspdiaries.com/
http://www.helpsavetroubledteens.com/our-stories.html (highly recommend this one, an archive of WWASP personal acounts)

I focused primarily on privately run facilities in this post but state run reform institutions like Dozier have also come under fire for abusing children. There are also cases of the state sending children to for-profit facilities where conditions are abysmal and in many ways similar to conditions seen in WWASP and youth boot camp facilities. Recently cases have come to light where Judges were paid off to send troubled youth to these private child-prisons despite accusations of abuse and mistreatment.

JibbaJabberwocky has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Dec 27, 2015

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Harold Stassen posted:

Frederic Bourdain- assumes the identity of a long-missing child. The family is only too eager to "adopt" him- why? They seemed to know he wasn't who he said he was- why did they go along with it? What happened to the kid he replaced? :stare:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Imposter_(2012_film)

I feel like the documentary heavily alluded to the idea that the family was involved in the boy's disappearance, which is why they were so quick to accept this man who was not theirs. He made a great cover.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Kenning posted:

Facebook feed sent me a listicle site article. 24 Medical Workers Share The Weirdest Causes Of Death They've Ever Diagnosed. Surprisingly low-spam for a listicle site. Some choice examples:

The moral of about half of these stories: the internet exists folks, buy sex toys designed to go up your rear end before deciding to DIY it with everyday objects.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I made an effort post about reform schools a while back so I'm going to see if I can hunt it up. Even if you don't go back and read the whole post, look through the witness accounts, they're all great.

edit:

JibbaJabberwocky has a new favorite as of 03:06 on May 31, 2016

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

You're not dead when your heart stops. Like you're definitely on your way to being dead but your other organs will function as long as your bloodstream still has a bit of oxygen to offer. When you go into asystole, your spO2 is still high enough to allow some parts of your body to function for a very short time. It's only after you run out of the O2 that your whole body shuts down and really "dies". I think technically it's possible to retain consciousness for a short time after cardiac arrest though typically people are non-responsive before that point.

JibbaJabberwocky has a new favorite as of 13:59 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Apparently the FBI are reopening their investigation on the Original Night Stalker, which is a drat cold case. The history surrounding this serial killer is particularly frightening because he often went after married couples inside their houses, not just folks who lived alone. I have to think they're doing it because they think some new information may come to light. It would be great to see this case closed after so long.