Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

SheepNameKiller posted:

Personally, I don't really feel sympathy for him. Dahmer was a piece of poo poo - I don't care that he felt sad about murdering people, he still murdered a lot of them and loved doing it and would have continued if he weren't caught. He's a monster in my eyes, because I value actions above how people feel about things.

Sympathy is wasted on people like Dahmer. He dug his own hole, filled it with the bodies of dead boys he raped and murdered, and finally died in it. And yet, we sit around a message board talking about having sympathy because he appeared genuinely "Sorry". I'd rather save my sympathy for people in bad situations that weren't the result of their own stupid actions. Dahmer made a choice to do the things he did, and he loving loved doing it so much he did it over and over and over.

Leaving aside anything to do with the murders, I feel sympathy for him for the exact same reason I would feel sympathetic to anyone who had the same childhood as him. I'm not going to try and excuse his murders as a product of his upbringing, I'm just going to feel sympathetic to the poor human being going through the poo poo he did, in his formative years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taman_Shud_Case here is one from close to home that, while I'm sure is old fodder for the thread, always weirded me out a bit. It seems somewhat bizarre to think that spy thrillers are not purely outlandish fiction, and this sort of thing does actually happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

SheepNameKiller posted:

I guess what makes me cringe about it is just the fact that there are plenty of other people more worthy of sympathy. Regardless of what caused him to become a monster, he became one. He even knew what he was doing was wrong, and he kept doing it. That doesn't make him contrite - it makes him a worse person, because he took personal responsibility for the things he did, internalized how bad it was, and it still wasn't enough to stop him. In the end, the monster always won out over the scared, abused boy. And he handed out many times the amount of abuse he suffered.

You're looking at this from the perspective of sympathy being a limited thing. People are capable of feeling sympathy for Dahmer and still feeling sympathy for people who aren't serial killers, its not as though by me feeling sympathy for his terrible upbringing I've used up that portion of sympathy and someone else has to go without. I also said I feel sympathetic towards his hosed up childhood, which his later actions in no way influenced. I personally cant write off his hosed upbringing because later he turned into the person he turned into, as his upbringing wasn't his fault.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowtown_murders another close to home one, it always seems so much stranger when its your country and not somewhere else.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i too make a deliberate decision to feel no sympathy for someone who was homosexual at time when such thoughts were aggressively suppressed, suffered from substance abuse issues and had little to nothing in the way of support networks

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_of_1315%E2%80%9317 a little bit of rain never hurt anyone, right?

Semi off topic, is there a more appropriate thread, perhaps in disco debate, that discussions of sympathy and more general emotional reactions to things can go?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

SheepNameKiller posted:

Do you even realize how offensive it is to try to compare Jeffrey Dahmer to the experiences of all other gay people? The dude wasn't exactly a friend to gay people, judging by how many he murdered throughout his lifetime.

It was probably significantly harder to be one of his victims during a time when being homosexual was considered to be wrong and there were people like Dahmer going around murdering the gently caress out of kids like you.

It's easy for me to not care about serial killers because I don't spend all my time reading about them or studying their motives. The more attention you pay to any one person, the more you see their human qualities. But even beyond that, if you judge Dahmer based on his actions it paints a completely different story about his supposed remorse. There are a lot of bad people, and no one is ever 100% evil, but Dahmer is still as close to a monster as I've ever seen.

I'm not trying to claim this is the same struggle all gay people went through at the same time in any shape or form. I'm saying that, regardless of who he turned out to be, I can't help but feel sympathetic when I hear about his childhood. His childhood is what I feel sympathy for. The idea that the person he ultimately became should retroactively erase his developmental period is unnerving to me.

Additionally, I don't spend all my time reading about serial killers or studying their motives, this is the only place I get information about this kind of thing unless i go looking for content.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ervil_LeBaron Here's someone whose hosed up legacy continues to haunt people after his death.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Jack Gladney posted:

Things like this are so scary to me because as we learn more and more about variations in climate, it seems like even a small change of a few years can really ruin human civilization. The end of the classical period and collapse of Rome tracks with a drop in temperature and decline in food production too.

Human civilization is incredibly fragile compared to the poo poo that happens regularly on Earth.

Remember that we're in a warm period between ice ages too, one that will probably end in a few thousand years. Everything from writing and agriculture on up has happened because we're in a warm period.

Exactly. 7 cm of rain and 3 degrees celsius is apparently the range within which wheat grows best. Even speculating about what 1 sd would do..

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Freudian posted:

Except in bed.

It's really crazy to me that one wounded tiger can kill 430 people. I thought humans were supposed to be fantastic at dominating their environment - that article says even the Nepalese Army didn't manage to kill the drat thing.

The wiki article says that injury was only to her teeth, nothing that would impact her ability to move, just her ability to take what would normally be her prey and the sort of thing that would pressure her to try taking a human. As for the army not being able to kill her, this (I presume) thread favourite shows that tigers are quite good at not being spotted even just in tall grass, let alone in mountainous jungle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4t0aeTX954

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
The Dollop is one comedian giving a detailed description of weird fuckin things from American history to another comedian he's friends with who has no idea about the subject matter, I find it quite good, especially as a non-American who obviously knows about as much about most of the topics as the host whose job it is to not know about them.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Telsa Cola posted:

I know this is a joke post but cane toads are poisonous, I think the only thing that eats them is ravens who have learned to flip them over and eat their non poisonous soft underbelly.

there's something else that gets around it by leaving the body for a few days until the poison is all gone but gently caress if I can remember what it is

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

RNG posted:

Cross-posted from... I think the OSHA thread, sorry whoever I stole it from, but relevant.
http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/05/13/406243272/im-from-philly-30-years-later-im-still-trying-to-make-sense-of-the-move-bombing

After trying to evict a radical group in Philadelphia for years, the police finally move in with military equipment. A shootout ensues and the police firebomb the building, killing 6 adults and five children. The only people ever prosecuted were the two survivors.

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/john-africa Here's an episode of a podcast that covers all sorts of bizarre things from american history, a fair few of which could probably go in this very thread, that covers the origins of MOVE all the way through to the aftermath of the Philadelphia bombing, if anyone is curious.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

FirstPersonShitter posted:

you seem to think its understandable and pardonable to have your kids literally kidnapped when your defense is that you were too lazy to do any research. Literally, just google the name of any of these camps and the horror stories come up. But they couldn't spare that effort because they were so emotionally exhausted by their kid wanting to be a hair stylist that they just had to hand over the 16 grand and drug their daughter.

i think theyre saying that maybe not all the parents deserve execution, not that its a cool fun thing to do to a kid

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Platystemon posted:

Consider me unnerved.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one here's a neat article about how "the big one" isn't going to come from the san andreas fault, it's going to come from a fault line nobody even knew about until 50ish years ago

and just because it mentions fukushima here's a story about how just building to minimum compliance standards isnt always the best idea http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2012/08/how_tenacity_a_wall_saved_a_ja.html

there's a pretty high chance that i got one or both of these from here but i just remembered them and thought they were cool so i wanted to share them anyway!

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Chichevache posted:

Tell us what country you're in and we can tell you what dangerous animals are lurking out there that can kill your kid. :smith:

whats your address ill post you a crocodile

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
yeah keeping a gator/croc's mouth closed is the easy part, keeping it open not so much

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
SA even has its own home grown "maybe someone could have seen this coming" event, the puckins guy

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
water is a scary thing (i think this was originally linked in here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLzgzvVxUV4

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Apraxin posted:

There's a reasonably (in)famous copy of Life magazine from 1944 with a picture of a young woman penning a thank you note to her boyfriend for the "Jap Skull" he thoughtfully sent to her from the Pacific, with said skull perched on the desk while she writes. Boyfriend and his friends also apparently autographed it.

she doesnt look super stoked about it

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

turntabler posted:

From the wiki:

"Skorzeny fled from his holding prison in 1948, first to France, and then to Spain. He later lived in Ireland."

AragonANaziDoesNotSimplyJustFleeIntoFrance.jpg

Tying together people's crazy relative and WWII stories my grandparents were Slovenians who ended up as refugees in Italy for several years after the end of the war. Not sure how exactly but their parents were partisans.

Anyway my grandmother and grandfather eventually immigrated to Australia, my grandmother's brother was with them however he had had his identity stolen reportedly by a fleeing member of the Nazi party, and was not let on the ship.

As a result of this the only country that would allow him asylum/citizenship or whatever was Iceland. He lived there the rest of his life (only passed a few years ago), never learnt the language, never had a job only selling home made pottery, had no relationships and was rightly considered crazy by most people.

Whenever this story is brought up there is never any mention of what happened to this Nazi that fled to Australia in the family, which I have always found curious. Apparently the Wiesenthal Center was quite critical towards Australia's policy of extraditing Nazis through to the 70s or so.

Whenever this story is brought up i take the time to point out (jokingly) to my elders that our branch of the family is the only one with blond hair, blue eyes and fair skin. I have no idea how accurate the story is but I wonder if there is anyway to find out who the guy was etc.

According to this: https://www.greenleft.org.au/node/24939 ASIO, which is the equivalent to the CIA except australian, actively recruited various fascist WWII war criminals, and the various governments chose to ignore it for 40 years. Gross.

we run concentration camps for refugees fleeing violence in other countries so this doesn't really come as a surprise

e: both major parties' party line is that these concentration camps are necessary to secure a strong future for the country

quite stretched out has a new favorite as of 06:55 on Sep 1, 2016

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Azathoth posted:

Interesting, and thanks for sharing. I guess I figured that there'd be enough traffic that someone would put up a gas station at the half-way point on stretches like that and make a boatload of cash off of desperate travelers, but thinking on it more, I'm guessing that traffic on that road is almost exclusively semi trucks with very few cars.

yeah it's largely trucks and road trains, most people travelling to Western Australia for pleasure or work just fly

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I have no idea why I double posted two different quotes and didn't add any context too them.

unnerving!

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
we all know Antarctica is made up and doesn't exist, you charlatan

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-framed/

A bizarre story of an imagined sleight spiraling into something much, much crazier.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

TotalLossBrain posted:

Intensively talked about on the last couple pages.

that's embarrassing and i can't believe i missed it.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

TotalLossBrain posted:

Look at this idiot here not paying attention to what thread he's in. Sorry guys.

its okay, it's not your fault that you lost your brain

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
vitamin A overdose

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
put my corpse on the biggest roller-coaster, but don't restrain it

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
yes martyring a white supremacist extremist would ruin his legacy, while letting him show just how much of a baby he is just strengthens his image

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
please tell me someone remembers the url for that site that just archives insane stories from the era of the beginning of modern medicine, I think it got posted in here earlier and it was great.

e: I think one of the ones that was posted itt was one about a man who performed amateur taint surgery on himself to remove a gigantic gallstone or something, and there was another about a woman who was put into a bath of some kind of vile vapours and had worms come writhing out of every possible spot of her body?

quite stretched out has a new favorite as of 10:42 on Oct 28, 2016

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

thank you

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Chard posted:

1. Holy poo poo.
2. Is this is even something that can be done? Can ISPs record all this? Is that burden legal?
3. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
4. Would VPNs defeat this?
5. dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

I know someone who works at a telco in Australia and something similar was being floated here, and his response was basically that it would require an insane amount of storage to keep everything stored even for a month

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Solice Kirsk posted:

So you think a judge's job is not to judge people in relation to the law? That's literally their job. It's right there in the name and everything. Judge.

they're saying the judge didnt need to say "your life isnt worth the one you took", he could have just judged him according to the law. dont be obtuse

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Terrible Opinions posted:

I don't really see anything uncomfortable about saying a murderer's life is worth less than a non-murderer's. Unless the non-murderer is like a rapist or something.

As someone who's never had to suffer through a murder in the family I think it's kind of awful to try and ascribe some kind of explicit worth to a life, but I think it's particularly grotesque when someone whose job is to be an impartial representation of the law says things like that

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i dont know about coyotes specifically but llamas are more than willing to kick the everloving poo poo out of predators and you can bond em with herds of other animals iirc

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

chernobyl kinsman posted:

cats also poo poo hypnotic alveolates into your brain which make you depressed and schizophrenic and fill you with an irrepressible desire to jerk the wheel of your car into oncoming traffic, so

no, thats capitalism

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Field Mousepad posted:

Is this the guy who tied up the gator and hosed it for a while?

its the guy who yelled "gently caress that gator" about a gator, then jumped in the water to fight it and died an incredibly avoidable death by gator

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The confusion may stem from how weirdly specific the ban sounds. I believe it's come up earlier in the thread, but in order to facilitate the court's job of mediating disputes and problems, most court systems allow for an EXTREMELY WIDE level of discretion in issuing orders, and can then enforce those orders for people found in violation of them by charging folks with contempt of court. You can be entirely banned from a town or county in at least the US and England, to my knowledge.

you can be banned from a location here in australia too, australian rugby league player todd carney (more famous for a photo of him pissing in his own mouth) was banned from his hometown for a year because of a string of alcohol related offences

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Avshalom posted:

everyone who was there lol, i think it was 8 or 9 people, iirc it was a training day

very poorly trained, cant even find one snake head

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

repeating posted:

Full-on tears-and-all pro-click

agreed, it's a rather unique mix of awful, intriguing, and heartwarming

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
lol why are you so determined to defend lovely cops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
yeah, the new stupid newbie av keeps loving me up slightly every time i see it because it reminds me of the story

e: this guy http://nypost.com/2017/07/01/sentence-upheld-for-deranged-rapist-who-enjoyed-the-hunt/

quite stretched out has a new favorite as of 02:45 on Aug 22, 2017