Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

And the posts are coming from inside your house!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm sure this must have been read by multiple people here already, but there's been considerable news today about refugees from the Syrian crisis going through Europe. Recently, refugees were allowed to travel to Germany and Austria through Hungary without requiring visa checks. Needless to say, this has caused a major movement of refugees who were currently stuck in Hungary, but the public transportation of Hungary is not made to cope with so many people all going West, which has lead to moments of potential disaster, not helped at all by the Hungarian PM.

However, the whole situation was recently encapsulated by photographs of the aftermath of a boat carrying refugees - overloaded with passangers - that had capsized. Corpses were found washing up on the shores of Turkey, most horrifyingly that of three-year old child. He was born during the Syrian crisis; he had never known a life without war. His family were trying to leave, desperately, to get to family in Canada. He, his brother and his mother all drowned, along with others from that capsizing. Now only the father remains. He wishes to just return to Syria to bury them.

There's not much else that can be said about this.

Just don't read the Daily Mail's response to it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

What about fizzy drink cans? Surely they must be banned, too.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Why going around the world on a solitary cruise can be a bad idea. :nms:, :nws: for natural mummification.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

quote:

Bayswater, Greater London, England

Trip delayed
May 2008

He was wearing a T-shirt depicting a cartoon robot holding a gun. Security officials forced him to change his shirt before boarding an airplane.

I remember this one! Specifically, it was Megatron. The best part was an internet comment (I know, I know) which said:

"That's not a Sam (or whatever the guys actual name was), that's a Robert in disguise."

Remember that from b3ta, back when it wasn't completely terrible.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

This is still breaking right now, but it should be shared, not because of ghoulishness, but because of the horrendous disregard for tenant safety that lead to it.

ukle posted:

Holy gently caress -

Video taken a few hours ago, where you can clearly here many kids screaming to be rescued.

*** Warning ***

https://twitter.com/o_salha/status/874815154201952256

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Honestly. You'd think the patrons would know to toe the line.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

verbal enema posted:

Does anyone know why the gently caress that new newbie av exists because come the gently caress on why

Remember when it was an anthropomorphised urinal?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I can imagine a whole bunch of reasons why, but what was the purpose of it? And why France?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

gee, what could human traffickers want with a group of young boys. And why pick a European country with incredibly porous borders.

Well, I'd have thought it would have been easier to get them to the U.K., if I'm being cynical.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'd rather get kicked in the nuts than have a migraine.

Ditto.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Honestly? If I couldn't go for the repository of knowledge burial, I'd want my bones to be used to make jewelry.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Surely :psypop: is better.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

What the gently caress

I used to think I had a powerful imagination

But the poo poo humans come up with astonishes me

I want to pour bleach in my soul

I want to pour bleach into those club owner's veins.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Quickly! Inoculate some children!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

*Explodes in a shower of prions*

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

teen witch posted:

I’ve had UTIs chronically since I was a child, and while as of late I’ve been near a year free (yay), even as a kid I went from a shy bookworm to bonkers angry. I learned to manage my downstairs disaster (thanks genes!) as I got older but being a kid and not being able to fully articulate outside of “it hurts when I pee and I want to scream and throw my game boy color” loving sucks. Thankful to my mom for knowing immediately to take my rear end to the doctor.

And yes, they’re like a thousand times worse than PMS and make you loving insane.

At the risk of asking a dumb question, is it just the pain from the UTI that made you feel so aggressive? Or is it something that else?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

teen witch posted:

As a kid it was the pain and the confusion as to what the hell was going on why is my body doing this.

As an adult it’s like PMS’s bitchy cousin, and falling into the cycle of feel like I gotta pee all the time -> can’t pee at all because it hurts to pee -> still gotta pee anyway, pain or not. It’s a brain body disconnect that I think does my head in, like my brain knows “can’t pee, hurts to pee, there is no liquid in my body to pre” and my body is slamming down on that “PISS” button uncontrollably. It is incredibly physically exhausting, and I’m so glad I haven’t had one since my abortion, weirdly enough.

Yeowch. I have a better understanding now.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Oh, not in Lawrenceville, no, it was a Decatur incident.

GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

purple death ray posted:

Straight pedos always get a bunch of "it's technically hebe/ephebophilia!! This is important for some reason!!" bullshit

And what really bakes my noodle is that if you are wanting to be even more accurate, they should be referred to as pederasts, but because of these fucko apologists, you can't really make that argument without sounding like you are supporting their position somehow.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Someone is in desperate need of a fist to the face.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I'd rather see him in an original spy role, because Bond is an explicitly white male colonizer fantasy. As an agent of the Crown his whole job is to further imperialism. Idris is awesome and deserves better. However I am torn because I also like racist idiots losing their minds.

Have a James Bond film where Elba is the antagonist who destroys the 00's and MI6 and establishes his own new, cooler spy agency.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The Golden Gael posted:

If folks are interested, I wrapped up my research into one Jamake Highwater - better known as the Star Trek Voyager consultant on Native American affairs - and it was pretty illuminating how this guy got away with playing his part for so long. Details and sources contradicted each other but thanks to a bit of detective work and a few phone calls I mustered up as many facts as I could to put this together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMmUTIp9BOs

It's a good 'un.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Major Ryan posted:

A German underwater observatory has gone missing.

https://gizmodo.com/large-underwater-observatory-disappears-without-a-trace-1837897180

Too big to be affected by a storm or sea creatures and boats aren't allowed into the area where it's located. Divers investigating why it wasn't sending data any more found a severed fibre optic cable and nothing else.

Obvious Cthulhu reference is obvious.

Isn't this how Sealab 2021 started?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

fuzzy_logic posted:

Utopian groups are pretty cool too, Oneida was into free love and weirdly feminist in many ways and really screwed up in other way. They eventually turned into ... a silverware company but managed not to kill anybody:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oneida_Community

To be true, they were screwed up in many ways, but their most infamous member was screwed up before he even joined them; namely Charles Guiteau. He was so disliked by the Oneida that they gave him the nickname Charles 'Get out'.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Sarcopenia posted:

What... the gently caress

Hey hey hey,

Say to death to America every day.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Bonster posted:

deliberate infection with malaria (the fever was thought to be potentially curative)

Crazily enough, this CAN work, but only for syphilis or other bacterial infections. The increased temperature brought about by the fever kills the bacteria, and is (in theory) controllable with quinine.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Sarcopenia posted:

gently caress off rear end in a top hat

Wrong movie!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

HopperUK posted:

That is not very British of you, friend

Good news, with the beggaring of British institutions, there will no longer BE a market for child sex trafficking!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

That's incredible.

I had no idea the Germans were bombing glasgow in ww2

Wait til you find out who invaded Glasgow with tanks!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

a sexual elk posted:

Maybe some self defense classes, not being a jerk, maybe some training might give you a bit more confidence in dealing with the bullshit outside world?

Que

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Everyone trying to ape Matt Berry...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

the hip new boomer trend is blaming literally anything bad any company does on DEI. bridge struck by a boat? DEI. Boeing reaping what they've sown via decades of lovely manufacturing practices? DEI. ice cream machine broke at the McDonald's? DEI.

Much in the way that they rebranded 'politically correct' to 'SJW' to 'woke', now they go for DEI.