Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

empty sea posted:

Oh, hey, I'm a vet tech and delusional parasitosis can be something people have with their pets! I've had 2 clients in my 10 years working that insisted their otherwise healthy animals were infested with bugs but they could only be seen by the phone's camera and would shove their phones at my face. The pictures obviously showed nothing. We obviously did nothing but gently shoo them out the door.

We frequently have a woman call late at night about her dog that has "amoebas" coming from it's eyes/ears/tear ducts that she can see and no one will believe her. The last time she called I had to fake a STAT to get off the phone because she just talks forever about her dogs' amoebas and won't let you get a word in. Also she told me the last vet clinic she went to gave her a pamphlet for a therapist, like no poo poo they did. The last time she called was about 2 weeks ago, same poo poo.

I've also had a client come in twice to get her hand scanned for a microchip because she was terrified her roommates were chipping her in her sleep. This was despite me trying to convey to her that the needle is loving huge and she would never, ever sleep through that. Surprise, I scanned her and no chip. At least no chip we scan for in vet med :psylon:
I know, the post is from forever ago, but it's Sunday morning, and I'm bored and going through threads I never read before. I also am a vet tech, and checking the schedule one morning saw this:

Which, first of all, I love the cadence of whoever scheduled it. I, taking it at face value started trying to come up with an explanation like cutaneous larva migrans or something, when one of the doctors stopped me and was like "It's a crazy person. Have you really never had one of these cases?"

I had not. They never showed up for the appointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

christmas boots posted:

Which part of this was unclear?

If I'm being honest, the part about the flu tasting like vinegar.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Fair enough, like I said I wasn't trying to be flippant edgelord. I guess I just don't get the need to have remains "come home" to be interred or whatnot. It's not part of my beliefs, but I understand it is for some folks.

I hope I didn't offend anyone, and if I did I sincerely apologize.

Edit: I guess the "unnerving" part of this derail is me realizing I can't think of anyone who would care about getting my remains.
I'll take your remains, but I don't wanna hear a bunch of questions about it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

HopperUK posted:

It's important to remember too that - okay this is going to sound weird, especially if you're too young to remember. But up until maybe the mid-80s, when I was a kid, *nobody cared about child molestation*.

Oh sure the victims did and their families probably. But there was a huge push when I was a kid to make it something that *was* talked about, because until then it hadn't been. Nobody wanted to hear from you if it had happened to you. Everyone knew at least one or two adults who were creepy and you didn't want to get caught alone with them. It was occasionally the topic of dirty jokes. But nobody *cared*, it was a hazard of childhood like stinging nettles or falling off your bike.

My parents were both victims of this in different ways and I got to see the damage and the pain over the years.

This is UK and Ireland specific, I can't speak to other countries. I hope some of them were doing better. I don't know.

Also - yes, I know that a lot of the time it's still a crime without justice and lots of people still don't care but trust me, how it is now? It used to be worse.
When the news was really picking up on all the abuse in the church, my great aunt got really upset that everyone was talking about it. She was much less upset about the abuse than people talking about it. "I don't know why they have to ruin these priests' lives over it".

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

BrianRx posted:

I just want to point out that one of the charges he's facing is "kidnapping with intent to marry". It sounds kind of quaint if you separate it from what it actually is (kidnapping/trafficking and rape).
Well anything sounds bad when you point out the rape part.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I get it, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but fwiw, additional evidence could have both lengthened his sentence and potentially uncovered new victims, and importantly, other people involved.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Busket Posket posted:

Having experienced the reality of several VA medical centers throughout this great land, I can say with authority that there is no middle ground between:

a) “oh you need a surgery to live? sorry we don’t offer it here (either because half our staff quit or we only do surgeries found in the 1985 Surgeon’s Handbook), but the VA two states over does, so we’ll write you a referral for physical therapy so if you can’t get a ride 12 hours away you’re still screwed out of your option to go to a non-VA clinic”, or

b) “you sneezed? well you’re in luck! the sales rep for these highly invasive surgical devices gave me a Nintendo Switch, so we’re going to go ahead and replace your sinuses with these Medtronic SinuStax 7800 and the accompanying $1200 battery and $3600 charger, then replace each nose hair with the Medtronic CiliaMax implants. you WILL need to upgrade your phone though because without the Medtronic app they won’t filter any dust or bacteria.”

Steak dinners, sales reps and risky procedures: Inside the big business of clogged arteries

The suit, filed in 2017 by a sales representative for a competing medical device firm, alleges an illegal kickback scheme between Medtronic and hospital employees. According to the complaint and documents released in the suit, between 2011 and 2018, VA health care workers received steakhouse dinners, Apple electronics and NASCAR tickets, and in turn, Medtronic secured a lucrative contract with the hospital.

Meanwhile, the company’s representatives allegedly “groomed and trained” physicians at the facility, who then deployed the company’s devices even when it was not medically indicated.

Chicago area VA (Hines) is absolutely incredible and has been a miracle for my father's care. I've never in the United States medical system seen a human being treated so well, which, you know, low bar and all, but it's made me a die hard believer that the VA can work.

He refused to use his benefits earned during Vietnam until a couple years ago because he felt other guys needed it more than him, and they've since diagnosed him with PTSD, got him on full disability, cataract surgery, got him hearing aids, physical therapy, several long term hospital stays where he is well cared for, installed a ramp at his home, etc, etc. I'm sure I'm missing stuff, it's been just non-stop care.

Not discounting other experiences, just putting one point in the win column.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Without going into details, uh, am I reading right those were Google searches? Does.... Does Google index that stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Foglet posted:

I guess that from the investigation PoV it was less like Google indexing server side and more like him not bothering with incognito mode or clearing search history client side.
Lol, from the replies I got, I realize how poorly I worded my question. I promise, I'm not worried about google saving my searches.

To clarify: I meant, would those Google search terms actually yield results? Like, it's weird to me to think he could just Google.... The most disgusting things ever, and google just serves it up. Upon further thought though, I'd rather not know.

Slugworth has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Jul 24, 2023