Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm sexy and I have a fat little chode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Brain injury is a very unnerving topic on an existential level for a lot of people. Here's a particularly strange rare side-effect that sometimes pops up even in non-catastrophic cases: Anton-Babinski Syndrome.

Cortical vision impairment occurs when the part of the brain that processes vision is damaged. So there's nothing wrong with the eye or the optic nerve; images are received just fine, but due to a problem with the processing equipment, the brain can no longer make sense of them. Cortical vision impairment is very common. Cases can range in severity all the way from a slight loss of depth perception all the way through to a total lack of sight. (The damage can also manifest in bizarre ways like patients only being able to see moving objects while being unable to detect anything stationery, or only being able to perceive one side of anything - which results in things like a person only shaving and grooming the right side of their face and hair in the morning because they have lost the ability to see the left half altogether.)

Anton-Babinski Syndrome is when a patient loses their sight completely, so they're qualifiably blind, but they have no insight into their condition. Due to the nature of the brain injury, they don't realise that they can no longer see and they behave as if they're still fully sighted. The bizarre thing is that these patients will go to extraordinary lengths to deny their blindness and often can't be convinced that it exists, even faced with concrete evidence. If asked if they're having any vision problems, they'll say no, they can see just fine. If told to prove their sight by identifying something in their environment, they'll often just make up a bunch of poo poo wholecloth - for example, if the tester holds up a spoon and asks them to describe it, they might fluently and convincingly describe a non-existent flower vase with no apparent recognition that they're lying. When they trip over or bump into things while walking around, they'll brush it off as due to poor lighting or accuse others of deliberately obstructing their path. Many suffer from visual hallucinations that can be quite complex, although they have no other symptoms of psychosis. When confronted with the results of tests or clear proof that they can't see (like if somebody mentions that they just walked straight into a wall in a well-lit familiar room), they'll deny it, make strange excuses, refuse to participate, or claim that the tests are wrong or the testers are lying to them. They can sometimes get quite hostile. Which is understandable - imagine if a doctor tried to convince you that you were paraplegic even though you know full well that you can get up and walk, and how much that would annoy you (if you're actually paraplegic, ignore this comparison). Obviously these patients are quite dangerous to themselves, as they have no awareness of their condition and will continue to live as normal without taking precautions to compensate for their lack of sight. The syndrome can sometimes be treated with therapy, but more often it's permanent; they remain totally blind for the rest of their lives and never realise it.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Patients with cortical blindness also often respond to the facial expressions of people nearby with no other emotional cues to go on. If someone smiles at them, without speaking or indicating a happy mood in any non-visual way, they'll smile back. It doesn't happen with every patient, but it's a definite phenomenon and suggests that the part of the brain that controls emotional reciprocation can receive and make use of information from the eyes even if the person can't actually see.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Self-destruct button.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
People with bipolar or schizoaffective disorder who are having manic episodes give their life savings away to the homeless all the time. It just doesn't get reported. Most psychotic behaviour is just weird and benign, a small percentage is altruistic, an even smaller percentage is violent, but it's only the last group that make headlines.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Dutchy posted:

I don't really care about any of your vaginas and would like to stop reading about them.
What about mine?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
fart fart fart

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Sweet. Broad. fart. Feel it ease through you. The deep plumb of it through the unexplored caverns inside. Just below your ribs. A bubble in your aquefers, it travels through. Accelerated by ripe fruits. It penetrates your fleshy cheeks, it's an inversion of sex. The fart, erupting. Goodbye

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

AlbieQuirky posted:

While we're telling sad stories of the death of children, the Bath, Michigan school massacre is a loving heartbreaker.

quote:

A school board member named Andrew Kehoe, upset over a burdensome property tax, wired the building with dynamite and set it off in the morning of May 18. Kehoe’s actions killed 45 people, 38 of whom were children.
fair enough

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Abugadu posted:

#Illoominati

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
you're all a bunch of pussies i got pounded in the butt by a tsunami and it only made me stronger

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
lol she had a fling with a guy named estelle

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm a nazi

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm a garbage man

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
when i shoot myself i've stipulated in my will that my entire body be sent to lowtax along with a set of wheels and some helicopter blades in case he gets inspired

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
when i was a teenager i used to think i was legitimately mentally disabled and everybody around me was coached to treat me like a reasonably intelligent person and i received falsified high marks at school as some sort of elaborate social experiment

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Nuebot posted:

Did you stop thinking this because someone told you the truth?
i realised all teenagers are legitimately mentally disabled and everybody around them is coached to treat them like intelligent people

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm a jew

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
no gently caress off none of you are jewish. you don't even know what it means to be jewish. i had to wrestle the torah for dominance before i was even allowed out of my mother's womb. i wear an extra pair of underpants for the prophet elijah. every night the ghost of ariel sharon reclaims the long-lost lands of my vagina for the glory of our children and grandchildren. he bulldozes my cream bun until i bellow in the voice of a hollowed ram's horn. my thighs are glossy schmaltz, my tits unleavened. the waters of the dead sea flow from my naughty cooch lips. i begin to dance. instantly you are awash with desire and though you still have no idea what it means to be jewish you're too hot and horny to care. it is time. let us have shtup

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

hello avs. will you be the asherah to my yahweh? we can smoke ourselves to high ground and you can dance around my upthrust schmeckel like a cult idol

if you're DWI meet me near the walls of jericho
get the gently caress outta here

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

ariel sharon was a CIA hoax. he never existed
he lives on inside me, ceaselessly moving, relentlessly throbbing, caught forever in that turgid steamy moment before ejaculation (for i can never bear his earthly child)

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
why wouldn't he just fake his death and go start a new life in a coastal city or something? i mean he was on a boat, nobody actually knew where he was, he had nothing left to live for, pretending to commit suicide would have been the easiest thing in the world - just sail acceptably close to a harbour, jump out of the boat, leave a letter, swim to shore letting the boat drift to wherever and start again in manila

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Josef bugman posted:

I think writing "It is the mercy" a couple of hundred times on everything kind of helps to cement that idea.
i do that all the time and i'm always in the mood for a tropical holiday

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Telsa Cola posted:

but prolly not

quote:

prolly pretty bad

quote:

I'll prolly get the chance
right now i want you to get bitten by every venomous animal at once

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i exude necrotising toxic fumes all the time so it made perfect sense to me

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
egg

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my nerves are feeling pretty good and i'm not okay with that

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
once i thought i had sleep paralysis but it was actually a ghost in my bed and then we made love

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i am a helicopter and can confirm i crave the meat of men

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Olewithmilk posted:

An episode of Forensic Files I watched recently described the most hosed up thing I've ever heard. Watch the first 4 minutes and tell me I'm over-reacting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrOwycIcqWc
can someone transcribe this hosed up thing instead of making tantalising comments

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
:gonk:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

MisterOblivious posted:

"Now I just want to extract the bullets and live my life."
words to live by

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
stop giving solice kirsk attention and it will wither up into a scrap of empty membrane and die like a jellyfish in the sun

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
this has probably been posted before but this is such a long thread and it's definitely been a while. the search for the famous september 11 falling man, the wtc employee in upside-down freefall who was for a long time completely anonymous even though he was one of the most enduring images of the attack

e: i just googled it and he has still not been identified, i thought i'd read recently that he was but clearly read wrong.

Avshalom has a new favorite as of 04:15 on Mar 18, 2017

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Wasabi the J posted:

God these always hurt to read; these guys aren't all together, but they'd tried, and were rewarded with a shallow grave.

I always find myself trying to remember that there's no just world, but I wish it were.
yeah. all the victims in this article in particular sound like absolute sweethearts :(

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
no i was being legit, they sound like genuinely lovely guys who'd just had a rough trot. the one guy carrying around an urn with his old cat's ashes in it made me extremely sad, and the man who'd message his sons to tell them he loved them every single day.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i despise you all

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my rear end in a top hat has a moustache and it's a cold hard criminal

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
this poo poo again oh noooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
one of my mum's employees once found a brown snake in the work car park and in front of several witnesses, to my eternal mystification, instead of leaving it alone or killing it with a shovel like a normal person he picked it up by the tail, whirled it around himself like a helicopter a few times and smacked it on the concrete. its head instantly flew off and was never found