Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Literally Kermit posted:

It's not just space junk orbiting the earth, it's space junk that has been directly orbiting the sun and periodically returning to earth's orbit for a few years, roughly every forty years. It's most likely the second stage of Apollo 12, meaning it's a piece of equipment that put men on the moon. It's an accidental time capsule, in a way.

This is a picture of the S-IVB stage of Apollo 17, identical to the orbiting J002E3. Barring the unforeseen, it'll continue that semi-stable orbit that it began before many of us were born, and long after we're all dead.

Also, it'll show up twice as much as Halley's Comet. I was six when it last passed by earth, and I have a clear memory of watching it. This same comet has buzzed us every 74- 79 years, and boy did it ever gently caress with our ancestor's heads.

Occasionally, it may have also hosed with their lively-hoods:

That is, a fragment came down, blew up enough dust in the atmosphere to effect harvests, and led to a demand for imported food from far away places, such as Egypt and China. This helped spread disease-carrying rats and caused the first known outbreak of the bubonic plague. Evidence of it being from the comet comes from samples from Greenland, which shows the dust that settled around that time contained traces of stuff usually found in comets.

Halley's Comet will return in 2061, heralding another scary and unnerving thing - Claymation Mark Twain. The real Mark Twain was born on a year the comet was near earth, and died in 1910, the next time Halley's Comet visited. He saw it out. :unsmith:

Just to be clear, the plague wasn't riding through space on the comet right? It's just that it kicked up enough dust to make humans change how far they would travel, and some far off place had a disease that propagated. Am I paraphrasing that correctly?

quote:

Evidence of it being from the comet comes from samples from Greenland, which shows the dust that settled around that time contained traces of stuff usually found in comets.
This is just referring to the dust and not embedded fossilized plague stuff that originated from the comet, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

BurnBlackJay posted:

You ableist oval office
You misogynistic sperg.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

The other gunshot victim was Jones' personal nurse, so its possible that they were the last two alive and he's the one that shot her. Nobody knows exactly.

There was one woman on the tape, and she became one of the more well known victims because of this, that grabbed the microphone and tried to debate Jones and refute the philosophical bullshit that he was using to justify the suicide. Her name was Christine I think, in the end she died of poisoning too though. I think a large number of the victims most likely saw it as a choice between dying peacefully and getting shot. What they didn't know was that the cyanide was not a peaceful death, the first people to take the poison were carried off presumably so that those still alive wouldn't see them in pain, convulsing, etc.
I'm doing my best to avoid reading the article, but are you implying that these people were forced at gunpoint to drink the kool-aid? Like they showed up, and had second thoughts about it, and then there he was with a gun to ensure that you didn't back out? I didn't know that part.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Danaru posted:

The amount of times the earth was nearly destroyed in a nuclear hellfire by accident during the cold war is horrifying and frankly baffling that we're all still alive :shepface: It's also fun to explain to people that the plot of Peace Walker nearly happened a bunch of times except instead of someone rigging an AI, it was just human negligence

would probably be better without that last panel, or with a "christ, what an rear end in a top hat" instead

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Celery Face posted:

You can hear a man calling out for someone named Bridget until he finally says "Bridget just burned to death! The whole loving place is on fire." I just found out that Bridget was his niece and she and her friend were in the bathroom when the fire broke out. They stayed in to call 911, obviously not realizing how bad things were, got trapped and died in there.

jesus christ i gotta stop reading this thread, you guys keep pointing out hidden details of that video like its the 3rd season of lost fuuuuck I'm glad I didn't notice the extra stuff I should keep it that way.