Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Madkal posted:

A trial just ended and some guy named Brock Turners was found guilty of sexual assault and a whole bunch of other things. He got a somewhat lenient sentence, though he will be put in the sexual offender registry so there is that. Anyway, his victim has released a statement. It is fairly long but worth the read.

We are monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Alereon posted:

Because to them and people like them, rape is only when you violently overcome someone's objections. Having sex with someone without their consent is just getting laid. I think understanding that this distinction exists and fixing it is critically important to addressing rape, especially on campus.

E: I seriously want to ask these bros how they'd feel if they woke up from a bender with a sore rear end. Somehow I think the answer would not be "well I shouldn't have drank so much"

They wouldn't have an answer because they're "Not fags and that would never happen". I knew a guy like that before and tried to get him to understand but he just would not accept that it could possibly happen to him, would ever happen to him and refused to accept that he could ever be a victim of anything but reverse racism and misandry, of which he complained nearly daily. I finally stopped talking to him completely when he went off about how black women are the worst because "their cunts smell weird" and other ridiculous things. My girlfriend at the time was black.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

GWBBQ posted:

The term "second rape" has been used to describe the traumatic experience victims go through when testifying and being cross examined in court. Until I read her statement, I never really understood what that meant.

It's ridiculous because they ask the most inane questions to just try and dismiss what happened in a way that makes it so easy to believe that there has been zero social progression since the 1800's. Oh what you were raped? Well how much do you weight? Your honor, I submit that this woman is fat therefore this rapist is innocent!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

pookel posted:

One of the guys in my brother's D&D group had to tell him mom he was playing "military strategy games" because she'd heard D&D was satanic.

One of the kids in my school growing up wasn't allowed to watch Dragonball/Dragonball Z for similar reasons. Goku is the devil.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

How anyone can look at the US Justice system and trust it is beyond me.

By being rich and white, or poor and white.

If you're rich you get off scott-free. Money fixes everything. If you're poor, you grow up just being told "It just works" and a thousand morons never bother to look around them and think for a moment and instead just see a cop shoot an unarmed kid and go "well he must have done something to deserve it, cops would never do something wrong!"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Control Volume posted:

On one hand everyone should know that Florida has alligators everywhere but on the other hand this knowledge should be conveyed by a giant sign that says WARNING THESE loving MURDER LIZARDS WILL DESTROY YOU AND YOUR TODDLER

Here we have jellyfish season. The waters on most of the beaches are just filled with loving jellyfish and even the beaches that aren't get big "DON'T loving SWIM HERE BECAUSE WE HAVE THESE STINGING rear end in a top hat JELLYFISH AND THEY WILL gently caress YOU UP" signs everywhere.

Last time there was a news segment where they were interview upset tourists because people were stopping them from swimming in the stinging death waters.

Last time we were under severe hurricane warning, the skies were stormy and grey and the water looked about ready to eat people I got to drive by and see fat tourists arguing with cops about how it was their right as Americans to swim in hurricane waters if they wanted to even though every one of these idiots that dies would inevitably have their family sue the state for letting it happen.

Oh and we have signs that ask people not to punch the seals or curbstomp the sea turtles that come up on shore to chill. Please don't get into fist fights with seals.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Plus if you aren't from Florida, I feel like the fact you are at a Disney resort would give you a sense of security and safety. Like, I'm on a Disney resort, why would there be anything dangerous at a family resort? A sign simply saying no swimming please is in no way enough of a warning that there may be creatures inside that can eat a child.

All I know about Florida is that it's full of Florida Man and it's made of gators. I don't know what other people expect from it, but if I ever went there I would expect at least a mugging. Maybe by a gator on meth. :shrug:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that just because it's a resort doesn't mean you should just throw all awareness away, especially if the location the resort is in is super famous for certain things. Like gators being everywhere.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

R.L. Stine posted:

There was a really good article about this posted in this thread not long ago, and it really shows you how damaging stuff like that can be.

I really like the part where the courts decide that if you refuse to pretend you're guilty then that means you're super duper guilty. And that the parole board guys can just not read anything, wave their dicks in the air and go home and congratulate themselves on a job well done. Boy howdy do we have a good justice system.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

radiatinglines posted:

guys, I found a picture of croc lady

Is it weird that, that's exactly how I expected her to look?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Droogie posted:

Fair enough. Everyone's praise and encouragement are really making me think I should try something out. I consider myself a painter without a second thought, but I've never shown and I've only ever sold or given things to friends, but I have the hangup about writing. I guess it's nothing I do regularly or practice, is why.
I've just been lucky enough to be bored enough to work on these.

Honestly even if you only do these once in a blue moon, it doesn't take too much effort to compile this stuff you write up for the thread and send it off to a publisher. You don't have to become a dedicated author, but this is fascinating stuff.
I'd just like to mention that it's thanks to stuff like this, and podcasts like The Dollop, I've found a renewed interest in History over the past few years because it turns out that history is loving amazing. Public schools just teach it in the least interesting possible way leaving so many people to not give a gently caress about the past.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

There are two types of communities in America. Those large enough to have a decent bus/subway system and those where you need to own a car as a responsible adult.

I used to really hate the public transit here until I visited some relatives who lived in a place that had poo poo, and in many locations even no, public transit and I've grown to love that they have bus stops every few miles, even some within less than a minute of the last one. You can get anywhere on this drat island with the bus, and take a nap while getting there.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Chichevache posted:

Working with troubled youth is so much worse than troubled adults. Teenagers are psychopaths.

Even non-troubled kids will do hosed up poo poo because they're less likely go to jail for it and are far more likely to be protected by family and friends because "He's a good kid that just made a mistake!".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I've been listening to a podcast about murders lately and one of the episodes mentioned the death of Elisa Lam and that one was always pretty weird and spooky, I remember seeing the video and stuff on these forums when it happened. It seems likely that she suffered some kind of mental break but the weird coincidences in the case just seem shifty and it's likely it'll never get resolved.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So there's apparently a Hep A epidemic going on. It started a while ago when an ice cream place got into deep poo poo for keeping quiet about one of their food prep guys having Hep A, a lot of people on the staff knew but they still let the guy make food. Now a ton of restaurants are getting into poo poo for the same thing, several places have had to close down and lose thousands of dollars in food and a lot of people are being hospitalized. A disease outbreak like this on a small island is kind of freaky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Avshalom posted:

when i was a teenager i used to think i was legitimately mentally disabled and everybody around me was coached to treat me like a reasonably intelligent person and i received falsified high marks at school as some sort of elaborate social experiment

Did you stop thinking this because someone told you the truth?