Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin

Under the vegetable posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

Pretty mundane page, no wacky murders or anything. Still, it freaks me out. It's so common! How much bad poo poo happens day to day because people get convinced they're really seeing how things fit together? Not just gambling and the paranormal, but how many innocent people are imprisoned or murdered, how many religiously motivated people harm others, how many assaults or rapes happen because a person just thinks the signals they take in confirm their notions, because they see the truth of the situation and others don't?

I'm even kind of exhibiting apophenia in this post! Brrr!

A familiar friend from the article

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin

china bot posted:

My uncle accidentally shot and killed his 11 year old brother with a shotgun when they were kids because he didn't realize the gun was loaded. He then went on to build a house for Linda Hamilton decades later, something something Terminator

e: I inherited my deceased uncle's name, and consequently am now the teller of the tale.

My Dad shot and killed his friend with said friend's Father's service pistol at the tender age of 10. That coupled with dad's mother dying around the same time set him up with some rockin childhood trauma which remains unresolved to this day!