Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Texas is huge enough that any generalizations about its citizens aside from their love of firearms is meaningless. Now saying the Texas government sucks is an undisputed fact though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wow.... how hard is it to move to Canada and become a citizen there?

It depends are you native American? If so the moving part is easy but you're dead and cops won't investigate.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The ones that look like wax do have wax masks. This is because although they have no decomposed they have dehydrated significantly, and as a result look rather horrifying.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sometimes mental minor mental illnesses can lead to charitable behavior, but due to the detrimental effects of extreme mental illness with regards to keeping down a job and such it's rare that someone has such impulses and the ability to act on them. So yeah schizo johny may want to give everyone a house, but he's homeless and barely fed himself.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Heh, and the liberal media is saying sea levels are rising. That'll show 'em! :clint:

To be fair this has less to do with climate change and more to do with Soviet attempts at man made famine.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Do they mean that their individual hands went to heaven? Cause if heaven had a bunch of limbs just floating around that sounds weird.

Yeah there are weird beliefs when it comes to bodies.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

nocal posted:

I'm sure it's been brought up before, but Fatal Familial Insomnia (FFI) is a rare genetic disorder that causes the sufferer to stop sleeping, causing death in about 18 months.

I'm not worried that I have it, because it's rare and genetic. But isn't it strange to think: why do we sleep? What's the point? Why does a lack of sleep inevitably cause death?

I was told that there was a recent study that linked being awake to some sort of toxin being produced in the brain. Sleeping caused said toxin to be flushed. Sadly I don't have a link to the article anymore.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Pregnant women just start craving weird foods and activities. One woman I knew would get stuck on a single movie every time she got pregnant and watch it nearly every day at least once. Though the movie would change between pregnancies, they were always somber drama films.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

From my experience the weird cravings tend to be things that they have eaten before, particularly childhood treats. So to someone on the outside the food sounds weird, but she has already had it and isn't feeling up to explaining why she knows it's good, or doesn't actually remember having weirder food at a much younger age. So things like very particular flavors of ice cream from their hometown, ultra regional foods, and the like. I know my friend sounded really crazy to her hubby while trying to explain how to cook ropa vieja.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't think it has ever been safe or normal to do that.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

One does not let Dolph Lundgren punch you. If he's punching you it's going to happen. The stupid thing was requesting to be punched.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

This sounds like a whole bunch of Lesswrong bullshit.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

KozmoNaut posted:

That is some Valhalla Rising-type hosed up poo poo right there :stare:

Hopefully it'd be less boring.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

His main claim to fame was inventing modern CSI through untreated OCD.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I honestly hate that show. The liberal romanticism of past eras as atrocity free and hyper focus on more recent evils is just so contemptible.Yeah it's totally red team fault that America was built on Imperialism from the very beginning.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I only stated liberal to differentiate it from conservative romanticism of the past. The two groups romanticize different things and try to pretend different atrocities didn't happen. The show itself as a whole is very American liberal which admittedly in many other countries would be fairly weird conservative.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The series is mostly predicated on the Nixon/Reagan-esque neocons (who just so we're all clear here were terrible) "ruining" America. Which requires one to believe that the Kennedy and Johnson administrations were good. This means you approve of fabricating a reason to invade Vietnam, the atrocities in the following war, active opposition to the civil rights movement, and medical experimentation on minorities. Alternatively if the most recent "good" administration was the Clinton one than you're approving the bombing campaigns against Yugoslavia that basically just killed civilians.

edit: I really should have said "atrocities this particular liberal show pretends didn't happen or were really red team's fault".

Terrible Opinions has a new favorite as of 06:04 on Mar 5, 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

chalk posted:

Watching The Homesman last night led me to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie_madness

There's something disturbing about so many lonely, desperate people heading out into a giant flat nothing, and being driven insane by the sheer difficulty and frustration of even surviving. Despite a lot of the accounts being embellished or fictionalised, it still happened enough for it to be a recognised phenomenon.

I'm reading a book on this. From the sounds it prairie madness was mostly poorly diagnosed PTSD. The causes usually being animal attacks on households, children dying, untreated depression, or periods of winter starvation.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Oh I'm sure that the isolation hurts and makes them more prone to mental illness, but all of the case studies I read had some clear trauma as the breaking point. So sort of like how being really cold can't literally make you sick, but it makes you more vulnerable to sickness that you would otherwise shrug off. There were a lot of problems with single family farms where the kids all died from some illness and as a result one or both of the parents would have to be carted off to an asylum. Similar thing for animal attacks when someone was left alone in the house. Your home some place that you thought of as a safe place is invaded by creatures trying to kill and eat you. Even if you aren't physically injured you're unlikely to ever feel safe again.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

lenoon I for the most part agree with you, but this guy took 8 minutes to do so and had to actively ignore his co-worker banging on the door to be let back in. That is a significant amount of time for something spurn of the moment. If someone is able to actively hear others begging for their lives and kills them anyways because of mental illness over the course of several minutes, that's a level of mental illness that should be kept away from the ability to kill other people. Psych tests of pilots doesn't sound like a terrible idea.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

EZipperelli posted:

It's really hard to explain. The best way I can, is that they're almost incredulous about why you're not a scientologist, and then non-stop about why you SHOULD BE a scientologist. It sometimes seems like they don't understand social context and social cues. They'll keep dropping scientology into conversations that have absolutely nothing to do with it.

They're also very awkward. Awkward in the way someone would be, if they're ONLY understanding of America was 80s television shows, and then they come here thinking that what they saw was how they're supposed to act. Bad description, I know, but it's the best I can come up with off the top of my head.

FWIW, my girlfriend was somewhat normal, not totally crazy yet, but her parents were something else entirely...

Sounds like the perfect religion for bitcoiners.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I'm not saying the Axis were good guys, but neither were the Allies.

Saying "nuking a civilian population center is bad" is perfectly acceptable. Even arguing that the number of unjustifiable things performed during WW2 made the Allies "bad guys" can hold up. However claiming that WW2 wasn't a justified war is a whole bunch of stupid. Save for the Soviets all of the Allied powers entered the war as a result of someone attacking them or repeatedly attacking their Allies. One can argue that America's blockade of Japan provoked Pearl Harbor, but said act was to counteract Japan's conquest of China and subsequent genocide of the Han and Koreans. The idea that there was an moral action besides opposing Imperial Japan is laughable.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You might need reword that, cause I can't tell if you're saying India has a huge number of people but a low firearm death rate, or that it has a huge firearm death rate and got the number wrong.

Edit: Looked it up and India does have a huge population but low gun rated death rate, but an intentional homicide rate that is very similar to that of the United States. Apparently Indians just use other weapons. Though there is something somewhat odd about American gun deaths. Unlike most countries with a high gun-related death rate America's gun-deaths are for the most part not homicides but instead suicides. If you own a gun and live in America you're statistically twice as likely to use it to kill yourself as you are to use it to kill anyone else.

Terrible Opinions has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Apr 10, 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well yeah that's why we own guns, keep nature in check. Well that and killing ourselves apparently.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ozz81 posted:

This is the most unnerving part to me and says a hell of a lot about health care and the mental states of people living in the US, when someone is more likely to off themselves than kill someone else.

Well to be fair in Australia it's 6 times more likely for you to kill yourself with a gun on purpose than it is for you to kill someone else with a gun on purpose. It's just that as gun-related deaths go up in a country it's usually because the country has some sort of mass civil violence causing murder to be the largest cause of gun death. In the US though gun-related deaths are really high but homocide is a relatively small component of it, implying that the problem may very well be less that Americans are suicidal and more that suicidal Americans have access to means of killing themselves.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That sounds similar to American wolves besides the whole good bets thing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

He knows she's his wife, but he feels like it's the first time he met her? That doesn't really compute.

If it's the same as they guy in the Oliver Sacks book it's because his relation to specific people was committed to long term memory just fine, but all individual memories of them interacting were damaged in the individual onset.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Cracked actually recently had a halfway decent user submitted list of unsolved mysteries. Many of them were already covered in this thread, but hey it's something to introduce people to a bunch.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Except the part where half of the ones on the list were solved or have perfectly reasonable explanations they forgot to mention.

Hence halfway decent. Cracked is never 100% decent.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Alouicious posted:

the alamo is a monument to the failure of slave owners and should be preserved forever

How would you feel about monuments to the other rebellions against Santa Anna, like the Republic of the Rio Grande and the Republic of the Yucatan?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

pookel posted:

Did you misread the original post like I initially did, and think "the president" referred to Bush? Saddam was a "president" too.

My initial misreading of it was that it was the blood of the president of Iraq before Saddam, but honestly his own blood is just as creepy. Though Wikipedia seems to think he either lied about the amount of blood or whose blood it was.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Most people are probably unaware that Gypsy is considered offensive

In the US the Roma more or less completely integrated and racism against them seems like a weird foreigner thing as a result.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Europe has really weird race problems, as bad or worse than America, just with slightly different targets. It's sort of like how we forget in America that Slavs aren't just "white".

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Chichevache posted:

"Well hell, wouldn't it actually be evil if we didn't use every bit of medical technology available to prolong the suffering of our pain-golem?" :psyduck:

If he was like awake and aware yeah sure disconnect him, but if he's in a coma I don't see any issue with keeping him alive indefinitely for research.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

Boat washed ashore and some flotsam was near it, in a span of eleven years.

Shits not too mysterious.

Unless I'm mistaken he said it was found in an inland lagoon.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't think it's impossible to remember things before you were 5 but in general you don't and anything you think that you remember from then shouldn't be trusted. Mainly because it's also possible that what you're remembering is a movie you saw or the experience of another person from that same time frame that you're toddler memory just incorporated into your life.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

nocal posted:

I guess you don't have to believe it if you don't want to, but it's just a fact that there is a certain period of infancy that nobody is capable of remembering.

Did you actually read the page you linked? I explicitly states almost exactly what I suggested. The only time it's completely impossible to retain information from is before your brain is fully developed, and that settles down sometime in your 2nd year of life, making memories from the 2-4 possible but unreliable and generally error prone.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

The sentiment behind that is often buried beneath the idea that the woman has no agency and can't say no if a man wants her, rather than it being the result of respecting the relationship that she's chosen. If women are just property, then infidelity is an assault on the man's ownership. If women are human beings, then infidelity is a result of her not being happy, and her own agency being expressed. It's a not really subtle change in ideology and intent.
In an ideal world where everyone was treated as equals the reason cheating would still be an enormous betrayal of trust. Now you're obviously correct in that there is a lot of terrible sexist bullshit wrapped around men owning women. However that doesn't really ever make cheating a natural result of being unhappy. A person with agency who is unhappy with a relationship should be able to end in on their terms at any time without actively going behind their partner's back.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

It doesn't justify the abuse but I've heard that Falun Gong is one of those cults that takes money in exchange for the promise of special powers like Scientology and Happy Science (not sure how big these guys are compared to the others but I found out about them when I walked by a branch in my city, wtf)
From what I've heard it's not really centralized, so it can't operate like that sort of scam. It has been used by individuals to scam rich idiots out of huge amounts of money, like feng shui and yoga though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

Feng Shui is complete idiot poo poo (outside of sometimes making rooms or buildings look pleasing) but yoga's a pretty legit exercise in term of improving/maintaining physical health and has proven empirical data supporting it as a good addition to standard mental health practices. Unless you just mean it's been used as a vessel to rip people off which is totally true, and not just that yoga itself is bullshit.
I was just meaning that it was used to fleece people. I don't know enough about Feng Shui's actual practice or Falun Gong to make a judgement call, and yeah yoga seems to help people with healthy living.