Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

liquid courage posted:

Along those lines (and to include a Wikipedia link) anyone interested in this stuff should absolutely check out the Conet Project. It's the largest compilation of numbers stations recordings that I've come across and although the website the recording were hosted on looks to have gone offline, there's an archive.org page with all of the recordings on the compilation. I've listened to several dozen or so of these and some of them are short loops of jingles followed by a synthesized voice speaking a series of numbers and letters. Fascinating stuff considering numbers stations are still in use today and only a select few have any idea what a particular message means.

That compilation was rereleased last year with a new CD of "noise stations"-- ones that transmit only bizarre sounds, possibly for the purpose of interfering with enemy communications. It's not on archive, but there are samples here:
http://www.forcedexposure.com/Catalog/IRD.TCP1.html

For Wikipedia content, I find Pfiesteria piscicida pretty unnerving:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfiesteria_piscicida
It's a highly toxic dinoflagellate (microscopic marine algae) with a complex life cycle, which not only causes massive fish-killing blooms but has nasty symptoms in humans:

quote:

memory loss
confusion
acute skin burning (on direct contact with water); or
three or more of an additional set of conditions (headaches, skin rash, eye irritation, upper respiratory irritation, muscle cramps, and gastrointestinal complaints (i.e., nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and/or abdominal cramps).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

And we already reached max comedy by someone starting a theory that it was all a staged incident to cover up a secret tuberculous outbreak. You see, there's a LAM test for tuberculous so obviously the government staged (or really killed) someone named Lam to muddy up the google search results for a few months...

I've heard a similar theory related to the claim that Walt Disney was cryonically preserved: the title of Frozen was changed (from whatever it was originally) specifically to swamp Google results for "Disney frozen." Because it's not like anyone would think to make their search a bit more specific, or god forbid, seek information in printed books...

While I'm here, I might as well cross-post what I posted in the Lost SA Stuff thread:
I remember an incident that might have been posted in this thread, where someone on Facebook was posting increasingly weird photos of himself and a woman whom he said was his wife. The photos showed generally normal situations, like the two of them on vacation, but the woman in the pictures seemed to have been Photoshopped in, or looked like her face had been shopped in/modified, and her general appearance was unnatural. This woman had no internet presence besides these photos (or she previously did but her own posts abruptly stopped around the time the weird photos started appearing, I don't recall). Reddit found this Facebook page and went all internet detective, thinking the man had kidnapped or murdered the woman and was creating fake photos of her to cover it up. Then I think it turned out that the Facebook couple just had a weird fetish for photoshopping or something, but the attention from Reddit ruined their lives? Or maybe that was speculation and we never found out how the "mystery" was resolved.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

That drat Satyr posted:

Tammy Loper, who the best anyone was able to reckon after it was all said and done, is in a completely consensual relationship and is in no danger at all. Her... Husband(?) Just REALLY likes photoshopped g her to look like a realdoll/dead/something, for sure.

http://imgur.com/a/2Y9Vd

They're still doing their weird thing, years later.

Thank you!

On another note, I just learned about this cognitive science experiment with results that are seriously kind of creepy: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/40833210/
Basically, if someone can't use language, they can't keep track of spatial relations.