Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Do you think if they ran prosecutors kind of like jury duty/the draft would work better? Like any lawyer licensed to practice in the state could be called up for one year of state prosecutor service.

Abolishing prosecutorial immunity and the qualified immunity cops get would probably help. Qualified immunity was invented by the courts in I think the 60s.

Groovelord Neato has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Feb 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MrMidnight posted:

Imagine being stuck in that position for 27 hrs

Why did he do that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

To go where no man has gone before

Many people have died.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I want both of those people to take a trip down Nutty Putty Cave.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

teen witch posted:

I just listened to the Casefile episode of this and it broke me. This is a horrifying read and what little progress humanity has made thirty years on is damning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Leigh_Leigh

I was thinking of this case the other day and couldn't remember her name. On top of everything else not letting her initial rapist's name out is insane. Don't give a gently caress that he was 15.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Phanatic posted:

the crooked cops and lawyers who did that to him kept working as cops and lawyers instead of going to Federal prison

Qualified and prosecutorial immunity are the dumbest bullshit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"We never ruled in the past that this violates the Fourth Amendment so you can't sue" is a bizarre circular argument. You got a case right in front of you in which you can decide that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The most insane family annihilator was the loser who gave 200,000 bucks to a Bulgarian camgirl using money he stole from his dad and taking a loan out on his parents' house and then killed his mom, dad, and brother.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

knife_of_justice posted:

I’m surprised no-one has posted the final video posted by the popular YouTuber Mr. Anime with the intriguing title ’Mr. Anime is planning something’

He went on to kill his mom, dad, and brother and was preparing to commit a school massacre when he was caught.

The article doesn't go into but he killed his family because he didn't want them to know what he was about to do.

This video goes into his case in more depth. His videos made it clear something was going wrong with him for a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlAQ_imjL9c

The first of his gun videos shown has him practicing with a gun one of the Columbine shooters used (a Hi-Point carbine).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

goldenninjawarrior posted:

There's a bit in his police interrogation where he starts talking about a trip to Japan he took where him and his friends were too nervous to actually go anywhere or do anything so they just stayed at the hotel and ate food from a 7/11.

Yeah he also brought up how he and his brother spent a lot of time watching anime and then had to explain what that was.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

xtal posted:

Was he the one who was too small for the electric chair so they made him sit on a bible as a booster seat?

The very same.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The US government signed a sweetheart deal with HSBC to not prosecute after it was discovered the bank did business with cartels and terrorists on a massive scale and the fine was equivalent to something like five weeks of profits.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I knew about Popoff because of the Steven Martin movie based on his ministry.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Going out on a boat without another adult is dumb as hell.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

showbiz_liz posted:

Ohhh poo poo, this was in at least one CSI or CSI-alike.

I think it was Law and Order.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

showbiz_liz posted:

There's practically no way a human being hasn't been cloned already by some rich maniac, right?

There are some pretty big hurdles besides money.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

One teenage murderer became a best selling mystery author (over 20 million books sold) after a name change.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

StillFullyTerrible posted:

the unnerving story is that apparently more people are fans of the one-man Amos 'n' Andy show that is Henry than i thought

One of the first episodes I listened to was the Leonard Lake/Charles Ng one and that was enough.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

For what it's worth that was the series that pretty much killed "Hong Kong Henry" and it's definitely a lovely one that most fans would tell you to just skip. I don't exactly have an excel sheet, but I'm pretty sure he only did the wacky racist accent bit a few times after that and he seemed to accept why it was bad. Trump getting elected dropped the last bits of edgelord from him and he's gotten a little more serious. I wouldn't listen if he was still trying to die on that hill. Like I said, I get it if anyone checked out though, it's an embarrassing thing and a caveat they put on their own backlog.

His Israel Keyes laugh was obnoxiously overplayed. Racism wasn't my only issue - it's that he ran every bit into the ground in the handful of episodes I listened to.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Just found out one of the teenage accomplices in Dean Corll's Houston Mass Murders died of COVID.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If you read about enough of these guys it's sadly a common thread. They'll have tons of assaults in their past with a slap on the wrist or relatively short sentences (or get released early from longer sentences).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Aphex- posted:

The unnerving thing about that is definitely that DNA evidence is nowhere near infallible but jurys love that poo poo.

Yeah Exhibit A on Netflix was a helluva ride.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The one upside to Steven dying at a super young age in a motorcycle wreck was he wasn't alive for this.

Groovelord Neato has a new favorite as of 17:48 on Sep 4, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

StillFullyTerrible posted:

using meds as libido suppressant isn't the same as chemical castration, which is very permanent and essentially designed to kill people

The guy in the documentary he's talking about (it was Louis Theroux's A Place for Pedophiles) didn't seem very dead. And that guy was an actual pedophile but there are people like you posted about who assaulted children because they were accessible but weren't actually pedophiles.

Groovelord Neato has a new favorite as of 02:25 on Sep 5, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Scathach posted:

Oh boy the one human I love to hate. Sylvia Browne is such a terrible person. Montel is partially responsible for her being so famous and believed, and he's absolutely batshit too.

I actually just listened to the Swindled about Sylvia Browne and there's audio of Montel saying he doesn't believe in any of it and just has her on for ratings.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I'd say that makes him even worse, honestly.

Scathach posted:

That absolutely makes him worse. He let her give parents of dead kids false hope, and dashed the hope of parents with kids that were alive and were found later, among other things. What assholes.

Agreed. I used to watch Montel all the time and he also acted like he bought into it on the show so it was hosed up on every level.

Groovelord Neato has a new favorite as of 14:08 on Sep 8, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It doesn't go into the financial issues the family had. It;s disappointing the same way the Challenger series was - it doesn't go into the full story (how the gently caress do you do a multi-part series on the Challenger and not go into what happened to the astronauts????).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Why are we doing spoilers for a very famous murder case. Please nobody give away what happened to Leopold and Loeb!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I didn't bring up the missing economic information in the Watts murders because I thought they were "killed by capitalism" it was because it's a huge part of the story that was left out. It's why I compared it to the Challenger four-part series which somehow with multiple episodes did not go over what happened to the astronauts despite that being a thing most people don't know about.

Dewgy posted:

They took the sweet drum track out of the intro theme and for that alone it’s a steaming pile of hot bullshit.

There was no way the series could've ever been "good" since Stack is dead but making a lesser remix of the original theme and then not making it anything like the original series at all doesn't help.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pirate Radar posted:

I don't think the comparison of "there were other reasons this happened" to "here are the details of how these people died, exactly" holds.

They didn't need to go into the gory details but go into the fact they survived the initial disintegration is important. The fact there was no "out" for the astronauts in the case of such a failure where the crew cabin survived a disintegration is pretty important. poo poo the documentary went into the gory details of the state of the bodies when they found the crew cabin.

Also weird to think "yeah it's ok for people to be ignorant of what actually happened even after watching our series"

Groovelord Neato has a new favorite as of 01:26 on Oct 31, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HelleSpud posted:

I'm looking and I can't find what y'all are talking about?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Erebus_disaster

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It shouldn't be funny but I had to laugh at the clip from Dan Olson's Q video where some guy kidnapped his kids and got in a high speed chase that he livestreamed on Facebook begging for Q to help and he couldn't pronounce "QAnon" right. I guess I assumed everyone that into an insane thing would realize how to say it right at least.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pirate Radar posted:

How was he saying it? Kwannon?

Q annin.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That's like the YouTuber that had his girlfriend shoot him with a Desert Eagle while he was holding up books to stop the bullet. What did he think was going to happen?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He's definitely an abusive shithead but he seemed genuinely surprised it killed her.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wait, did he shoot her or did she shoot him?

She shot him. She didn't want to - he was trying to make it on YouTube:

quote:

"The point of the video is, I just really want to see if a .50-caliber bullet can go through a book," Ruiz had said earlier.

Now, Perez, who had previously refused to go along with the dangerous stunt, was getting cold feet again.

"Come on," Ruiz said, urging his girlfriend to pull the trigger.

"Babe, if I kill you what's going to happen to my life," Perez said. "Like no, this isn't ok. I don't want to be responsible."

"You won't," Ruiz said. "As long as you hit the book. As long as you hit the book, you'll be fine. Come on, the battery's gonna die on it. Come closer."

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tasneemnashrulla/failed-youtube-stunt-killing-videos

Can't stop laughing at that picture.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I believe there's only one known case of a fatal coyote attack on an adult and it wasn't all that long ago. I think a toddler had been killed by one as well a ways back.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

I thought Coyotes were smaller? More like fox sized? Dingos always seemed like just "Labrador" sized?

They're about the same size 20-40ish pounds.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Do you have a link to this?

From Wikipedia:

quote:

In 1977, a man was arrested in Latta, South Carolina, for driving while intoxicated. He owned a revolver (found in his vehicle) of the same kind as the murder weapon. It was proven to be the murder weapon after it was test-fired by investigators. The man was located but was not charged because insufficient evidence existed to file charges against this individual with the murders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ehhhh, I don't know. If having a murder weapon is still a stretch then I'm assuming the "proven" part of it was pretty damned flimsy.

Coulda been they couldn’t tie it to him at the time the murders happened.