Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My high school would do the same thing except they would get some seniors to act out a drunk driving crash site with co-operation from police and emts. They'd even use the jaws of life to have to cut someone out of the car and take them away in the ambulance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

There was a car accident here the other day that shut down one of the major roads coming out of the city during rush hour. A porche was doing 150mph trying to take an offramp on a 60 mph road. There's no gore. The result of a porche hitting a tree going that fast is pretty crazy.
https://www.wral.com/Matthew-Strouch-Wade-doctor-Porsche/17662401/

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

What up, fellow Raleigh goon. I've been trying to figure out how he could possibly get up that much speed at that time of day, what with all the traffic. It's lucky he didn't take anyone out with him.

Me too. That's also unnerving. My husband drives that way every day for work. Its an extremely trafficy area because its one of the few ways to get from downtown to where people actually live. I'm surprised he had the space/time to get going that fast.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Scarodactyl posted:

I am working my way through this, and it has been fascinating so far http://www.issendai.com/psychology/estrangement/index.html

Ugh dammit. This is making me angry and anxious. I've had to semi cut my own mom out of my life due to her not wanting to get help with her mental illness (it helps to live a 12 hour drive away) and if she was a smarter person I could see her pulling a lot of the stuff that this article talks about.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

A student of mine suddenly dropped both classes he was in over the weekend. I happened to also get federal jury duty at the end of the month and I was looking to see if anything was scheduled. Oh, his not very common name is listed as one of the cases. Is that him? Let me google his name...

A Daily Beast Article. I will not ruin the surprise

:stonk::stonk::stonk:

Edit: Its mostly unnerving because nobody had a clue. You 100% wouldn't have guessed this dude would have been like this.

Alterian has a new favorite as of 02:44 on Jan 15, 2019

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My kid isn't allowed to watch YouTube unsupervised anymore. We pretty much only watch it with him on the big tv now when we want to have a "Dance Party" since it's the easiest way to put specific songs on. He likes the PBS kids video app if he does get tablet time.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I watched "Don't gently caress with cats" on Netflix. I am not sure how I never heard of that on the news. It's a rough one. They don't show anything gory, but they show parts of the videos that don't have violent parts, but it's still hard to watch. The music was also anxiety inducing a little bit.
Then I looked up the case and holy poo poo did they leave a lot out.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Has the execution of George Stinney been talked about it in this thread? He was the youngest person to ever be executed in the US. I don't want to link to anything because its loving destroying to read about. He was given a death sentence at 10 years old. Later on (as in like 70 years later) his conviction was overturned. Reading about it all is devastating. Its another dark mark on the country's soul related to whats going on currently.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Has there been any mitochondrial DNA of Neanderthals found in humans? Wouldn't that have some implications?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

The initial identifiable 1/2 and 1/4 hybrids had to be accepted into the human groups in order for them to continue breeding with pure humans and be our ancestors. That implies an ongoing relationship of some type, not just violent raids.

It's certainly possible that tribes were keeping the other species women as captives, slaves, livestock, or pets. But it's also possible there was just normal inter-tribal relations between human and near-human tribes.

I didn't mean violent raids! Sorry for the misunderstanding.
My small understanding of genetics is that mitochondrial dna only comes from the mother. It's present in the egg cell. They've been able to trace back the mutations of mitochondrial dna all the way back to a "mitochondrial eve" which would be the female all other humans descended from. Since it can ONLY come from the mother, if there was viable mother-Neanderthal father-Human children, wouldn't there be evidence of that in modern human mitochondria?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I know it's cliché, but I can't do true crime about kids after I had kids.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

There was some couple that left a kid in a swing chair for literal days around the time my mom got us a swing chair for our baby.

My daughter loved the thing, it was so convenient but I couldn't use it after a few times. It was all I could think about. I ended up giving it away.

I had post partum anxiety really bad after my first one. To tie it into the thread, its pretty unnerving to have! More or less I envisioned how my newborn would accidentally die. I'd get flashes of scenarios multiple times a day. The main one was accidentally falling over a railing or slipping down the stairs while carrying him. I didn't realize this was "common" until I read an article about it years later.

Post pardum period: very unnerving.

Alterian has a new favorite as of 11:40 on Apr 11, 2021

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It almost feels like the humane thing to do with a person that has been exposed to a lot of radiation is to humanely end their life before the suffering gets worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Oh no the millenial fear (sort of) happened: https://www.wral.com/story/driver-killed-after-crashing-into-log-truck-on-knightdale-boulevard/21112059/

The URL basically tells the story.