Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Just saw this recent BBC News/Home Office simulated nuclear war broadcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VZ3LGfSMhA

The whole thing is unnerving but the last ten minutes are sleepless nights material.

Oh my you weren't kidding. That is extremely convincing, and the last five minutes is pure nightmare fuel. I watched it yesterday and I can't get that sound from the final warning out of my head.

Only funny thing: I love when they're talking to the guy in Poland, and you hear sirens and then see a bright flash, and then the feed cuts out. The British anchor is like "Well we seem to be having technical difficulties. We will get back to talking with this expert who I assure you is alive and well and not a smoldering pile of cinders right now as soon as we can."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Three people are shot dead during armed bank robbery.

Guardian: "Trio killed in bizarre cops&robbers game gone wrong!"

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

chernobyl kinsman posted:

just wandering off...into a refrigerator, and dying. yes.

I don't know all the details of this story- but if you've ever worked in a restaurant with a large, walk-in refrigerator you know that the doors are very heavy, often only open from the inside by pushing, and the floors can become very slippery over time from accumulated spills. It's not completely insane that someone not operating at 100% could get trapped in one.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

8 Ball posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43928318

It's no cult or serial killer but boy is it unnerving

Oh god we’re only 10 years away from old rich fuckers transferring their brains to younger bodies so they can live forever aren’t we? Like Get Out but not in secret- totally out in the open. The baby boomers will NEVER stop loving us.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

If you put a cat on a treadmill for long enough would it eventually take off?

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

spite house posted:

The nurse thought it might be my appendix, but what it turned out to be was a 10cm teratoma, bulging with hair, teeth, fingernails and little bones, which had developed on my right ovary, adhered itself to my intestines, and twisted my Fallopian tube into macramé. The whole arrangement was going necrotic and if they hadn't cut me open and removed the giant mutant tumor, tube and ovary I would have been looking at wildfire sepsis.

I’m really sorry for your suffering but damned if I don’t love a good teratoma story.

My mom had one of those removed after her third kid and my siblings and I always used to joke about our long lost brother Toothy.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Just to be safe I would recommend not being a woman at all.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Obscene amounts of money can protect someone from the consequences of their actions, which makes it more likely for them to act on their worst impulses. I think the desire to do evil things is evenly distributed among all levels of wealth, it’s just that the poorer you are, the more likely you’ll be caught and punished immediately.

You know those crazy “Florida Man” stories everyone loves to laugh at? Imagine someone with that level of crazy but with enough money and lawyers to make every problem go away. That’s what we are dealing with as a society.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

I don’t know if the article is poorly written or if it’s just such a strange situation but I’m not sure if I’m correctly parsing what happened here. So the parents adopted a normal Ukrainian child, had her age “legally changed” to 22, told everyone she was 22 and looked 8, abandoned her in their apartment but kept paying the rent while they all hosed off to Canada...because reasons? What the hell was their end game?

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Labes for days posted:

She wasn’t “normal” - she had dwarfism which is why I assume they changed her age before abandoning her. Like eh 8, 22, who can really tell the difference if they’re physically deformed to begin with?

That said those people are beyond lovely and deserve to be locked in an apartment alone until they starve to death, a fate this poor girl was lucky to avoid.

See that’s the part that’s tripping me up. The article isn’t clear whether the girl actually has dwarfism or if the parents made it all up.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Busket Posket posted:

There’s an update, but it doesn’t really clear anything up.

From what I can tell, she is chronologically 8, or it wouldn’t be child neglect, and they were paying her rent but stopped, so she was evicted and no one knows where she is now. And they had a biological son who was a child prodigy and the parents loved that limelight, so I’m assuming they adopted a Ukrainian child to try to mold her into one as well, then got frustrated when she didn’t perform and moved to Canada for their son to get his Physics degree up there.

The Washington Post has picked up the story which keeps getting weirder and weirder.

The craziest part to me is, even if the adoptive mom is telling the truth and this girl is actually a 20-something scam artist, how the hell is the appropriate response to this not “alert the authorities” but rather “stash her in an apartment, move out of the country and hope the whole thing just goes away”?

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

You missed this completely unrelated or provoked comment.

quote:
The word 'racist' is an anti-White slur. It only ever means: "Shut up Whitey! Diversity and open borders for you only!" Diversity is so obviously beneficial they have to create laws to prevent you from escaping it. 100% non-White countries/communities are exempt from 'diversity'. But as long a single White family exists somewhere, they'll 'need diversity'. Diversity means Chasing Down the Last White Person.

I actually 100% believe this and am completely ok with it.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

I’m just still blown away that all these years I had no idea there is a not-insignificant number of women and men who will have sex with you for no other reason than you having access to a baby tiger.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Amateurs- the way you do it is you get the kids age legally changed to 18, abandon him in an apartment and leave the country.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

When I started reading your summary TorpedoFish I assumed this story took place in the 1870s or something, when you could just roll from town to town and the only requirement for being a doctor was “says he is a doctor”. This mofo was pulling this poo poo in the mid-90s!

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Scathach posted:

Wouldn't that suck, hiking all the way up there, getting camp set up and then boiling some water for dinner...oh. Oh ew.

“There are too many corpses. Why are there so many corpses? The brochure said there’d only be a few corpses. This is a terrible vacation.”

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

The Romans had fast food, d20s and mass-produced spells. I have no problem believing they had their equivalent of fidget spinners.

But did they have robots?

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Joking aside, one of my buddy's had a real bad drinking problem and he would go through a bottle of whiskey and a case of beer a day. But on the weekends, well that's when he'd really cut loose.

Was your buddy Andre the Giant?

But seriously, you used past tense so I hope that means he eventually got better. I don’t know how a person would even have TIME to drink that much. Or the energy - two glasses of whisky and it’s pretty much sleepy-town for me.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah a few years ago a woman got killed by coyotes in Nova Scotia iirc

It was an up and coming folk singer. It’s a weird story that may have come up already in this thread. The fact that it was considered so unusual speaks to how rare coyote attacks are.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Mitchell

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

IIRC most predators haven't had the update to recognise bipedalism yet, so by being tall humans end up looking really huge to them. Try to avoid looking short near wolves.

Now I have this image of wolves that keep forgetting to leave themselves plugged in overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Guy I knew was a cop who was tracking this dangerous gang. They ambushed him, tortured him and finally shot him in the head. Miraculously he lived, but he has to be turned into this cyborg-thing and now he has no memory of his past life. It sucks, really.