Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Juanito posted:

forbiddenforum posted in TFR a few times, including talking about getting revenge on people who had destroyed his Halloween pumpkin. He got banned a few days before he put on a cape, helmet and paintball mask and shot and killed two of his neighbors and then himself.

http://murderpedia.org/male.F/f/freund-william.htm

People found places where he'd posted online, just wanting someone to be his friend. :smith:

thus leading to one of my favorite FYAD flags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Icon Of Sin posted:

And of course the page has a link to random hums (like in Taos, NM), the general article about numbers stations, and random sonic booms like are rumored to happen occasionally on beach that is only about 10 miles from where I live (Carolina Beach, NC). I didn't find a wikipedia article on them, but there's this:

Ah the good old Seneca guns. Heard them a couple of times in Brunswick County. Here's what the US Geological Survey has to say about them:

quote:

The term “Seneca guns” is just a name, not an explanation. It does not tell us anything about what causes these noises and shakings. The name originated in a short story that James Fennimore Cooper wrote during the 1800’s. The name refers to booms that have been heard on the shores of Lake Seneca and Lake Cayuga in New York State. The name has been applied to similar noises along the coasts of North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia. Similar booms are called Barisol guns in coastal India. These phenomena have also occurred in three widely separated places around the world. That’s about all we know about the Seneca guns.

Well alrighty then.

PS, condolences on living near Carolina Beach.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Mikl posted:

From today's Wikipedia featured article.

Two people cross a racetrack to go help a driver whose car had caught on fire, just as four more cars are coming around a curve. One of the guys narrowly makes it to the other side. The other... Doesn't.

Emphasis added by me.

High-speed accidents scare the poo poo out of me :stonklol:

then don't watch this :nws: video of the kid getting struck and torn in half :nws: then

EDIT: Yeah I'm crazy beaten on this but yeah, a proper accident will gently caress you up. A friend of mine and an acquaintance of his were once riding motorcycles and going 60+ in a 45. His friend drifts just over the line on a curve and met a panel truck going 55 in the opposite direction. Finding his head took a couple of hours, but at least the left arm and part of the torso were easy to find, as they were jammed in the truck's grille. I don't think he's ridden a bike since.

My dad was a coroner's photographer in the late 60s, and after he started working for the newspaper he would still do accident and crime scene shots for the coroner off and on until the late 80s. So as I've been going through piles and piles of negatives, I will occasionally find some really fun poo poo mixed in with the landscapes and local news that just makes my day. Life before safety glass was all rainbows and unicorns.

Rev. Bleech_ has a new favorite as of 18:01 on Jun 13, 2014

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

nucleicmaxid posted:

I sure hope not, it's hard to control a bike with one arm and no head.

oh cut it out you :allears:

The thing that bugs me most about those kind of wrecks? Often no effort is made to clean up the pavement. An intersection near my parents' house was smeared with some poor motorcyclists' dried blood for over a year after he was wiped out by some idiot running the stop sign.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Quint Gets Eaten posted:

I remember Park Dietz (famous forensic psychiatrist) saying in an interview that out of the people he's evaluated, he actually liked Dahmer because he was so forthcoming and honest, and that he was probably the only person in the world who was sad when Dahmer was murdered in prison aside from his father.

The detective who arrested him wound up liking him and claims to have cried when he was killed.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

bonestructure posted:

He is still, no poo poo, like the boogeyman in South Carolina. I remember his arrest when I was a kid, and the awful details that kept coming out. He still terrifies us around here. They found remains from two of his victims in a swamp not far from my family's house.

As with so much in South Carolina, he was also a source of horror/amusement for us in NC. I remember my parents discussing the daily goings-on with trial/incarceration/execution every morning like it was a soap opera.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

I can't remember where I heard it, and as I type this I suspect it's bullshit, but big things like buildings are designed to wobble a little, accounting for winds/etc. The idea is that if there's forces like that acting on the building, it's safer to design in a little bit of bend versus something snapping off.

...as anyone who has ever been to the top of the Empire State Building on a windy day can attest. I knew there was some flex, I didn't expect to actually feel the sway. It was like standing on a bench at the end of a wooden fishing pier.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

The Endbringer posted:

First, upon recognizing Syd when he came into the recording studio, Roger Waters (who had been close friends with him since college,) broke down and cried.

Depends on when the question was asked; this story has been told a dozen times by each member of the band, and each one tells it slightly different each time. In one telling it was Roger who was getting visibly agitated before finally just hissing "don't you know who that is?" at Gilmour

Three details tend to remain the same though:
1. When they had finished playing back part of Shine On and then began another playback, Syd allegedly said "Why? You already heard it once."
2. When asked why he was so fart, Syd allegedly answered "I've a large fridge, and I've been eating a lot of pork chops."
3. Everyone involved (except Syd, who has never been asked that I know of) has said they've never been more uncomfortable before or since

The Endbringer posted:

I highly recommend you click the link, if only to see the drastically different pictures of Syd that were taken just six years apart.

It really is like a reversed before and after photo.

There's also video footage of Syd walking down the street in the late 90s/early 00s recorded by a stalkerish fanboy type; it's pretty sad to watch (more due to the hosed up Biggest Fan seeking to make, and then publicizing, two seconds of an elderly man walking down the street)

Mak0rz posted:

Barrett is a pretty good example of how badly psychedelic drug abuse could gently caress you up. I bought a documentary a few years ago called The Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett Story. It had footage of him having a really bad acid trip.

It was actually psilocybin and recorded in early 1966, prior to the fame and mental illness (someone please combine the sperglord emote with the Floyd logo for me, tia)

Mak0rz posted:

Also he just decided to paint his entire bachelor suite floor once on a whim. He never moved any stuff out of the way so he just painted around it all, including his bed which was just a mattress on the floor. He started at the door, effectively trapping himself inside until the paint set so he sat on his floor mattress and waited it out.

Not really unnerving I know, but still kind of weird.

...and visible on the cover of The Madcap Laughs for anyone interested.

The final attempt to record a new Syd album in 1974 makes a pretty sad epilogue to his breakdown. Peter Jenner had the bright idea of recording an album in a week with Syd playing all the instruments...guitar one day, bass another, drums, keyboards if necessary, and singing on the last day. Phil Smee, who put together the 'Crazy Diamond' box set, is one of the few people to hear them and described them as a lot of silence punctuated by what sounds like "a small child given a slide guitar for the first time". The second day, Syd showed up with no strings on his guitar. They found some, but things went from bad to worse:

Barry Miles posted:

When everything seemed in order they began. Syd had asked someone to type his lyrics to his new songs for him. This they had done using the red ribbon of the typewriter. When the sheet was handed to Syd he thought it was a bill, grabbed the guy's hand and tried to bite his fingers off.
Day three, he didn't show up, and shortly thereafter sold the rights to his solo albums back to the record company.

Allegedly on the second or third day, a friend spotted Syd walking down the street, pulled over, and asked him where he was going. "Far further than you could possibly imagine" was supposedly the answer before Syd walked off. This story is so on-the-nose that it likely belongs in the bullshit file though.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

bean_shadow posted:

The arcade game "Polybius". There's no evidence this game existed at all but it's still a creepy urban legend, complete with insanity and shady Men in Black coming around to get information from the machines:.

Then of course there's Berzerk, an actual classic arcade game with an actual body count

quote:

Berzerk is the first video game known to have coincided with the death of players. In January 1981, Jeff Dailey made the Berzerk top-ten list after posting a high score of 16,660 points and suddenly died of a heart attack at age 19 a few seconds after the game was over.[citation needed] One year later in October 1982, Peter Burkowski made the Berzerk top-ten list twice in fifteen minutes, just a few seconds before dying of a heart attack at age 18. His high scores are unknown.[11]

Playing Berzerk for awhile made me understand why. gently caress Evil Otto so hard. He can't be bargained with, can't be reasoned with, and absolutely will not stop until you either run out of quarters or fall to the floor in front of the cabinet.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Eien Ni Hen posted:

Seconding this. I just finished the audio book and I want to listen to it again. Tidbits include:

-L. Ron Hubbard kidnapping his infant daughter.
-An alleged affair between Hubbard and Robert Heinlein.
-Hubbard trying to (unsuccessfully) electrocute himself.
-The CoS forging military documents and somehow getting away with it.
-The mysterious disappearance of David Miscavige's wife.

Also, in the spirit of this thread, the thing that unnerves me most about L. Ron Hubbard is his rotten teeth. :barf:

This led me, via wikisurfing, to the Hole. Dig the bladed fence designed to keep people in.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Tonight, I'm gonna have a real good ti*OFFICE SUPLEX, DON'T TOUCH THAT CHAIR, TED!!!*

*super slo-mo shot of battle over a chair as "Who Wants to Live Forever" plays*

Not gonna lie, if I was gonna punch out my boss I'd want "Princes of the Universe" playing.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

RNG posted:

Seconded. Some of the stuff in the book is dated, but the issues still persist, and a lot of the cases are still unsolved.

...and the real Jay Landsman loving rules even more than his fictional counterpart.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

One serial killer story that I always found fascinating. I can't remember who it was but I saw this on like a special or something. The guy was a serial killer, living at home, and his father found a locked box under his bed or something. He said he waited for his son to come home and he was going to confront him with the box, thinking it was like drugs or something. The guy came home, and knew immediately that it was some severed body part in the box and refused to open it. His father said that he just got really mad and took the box and left. When he came back the son apologized and I think admitted that it was drugs or something in the box and the father never thought anything about it until after his son was found and I think his son finally told him what was in that box. The father seemed so distraught over the fact that he could have found out early on what was really going on and it was so close but he never saw what was in the box.

did dear old dad whine "WHAT'S IN THE BOOOOX" at him?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Whiz Palace posted:

And he had a part on the show (not as Landsman, but Lt. Mello)!

Best Landsman bit of Homicide: rattling the door and wailing "MURRRRRDERRRRRR!" in a spooky ghost voice at a woman who was being a real drama queen in the interrogation room after killing her husband

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Literally Kermit posted:

That clown probably was mortified and never clowned again. :smith:

At least there's a happy ending :unsmith:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Goddamn, holy crunchy gently caress, everyone should read this. :stare:

The Dollop did an episode on this

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

C.M. Kruger posted:

Unsettling in the sense that your tax dollars are paying for a senator to correct phrasing on the page for the Warren Zevon song "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner."

not gonna lie, would vote for any candidate who knew that song well

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

But I never considered the elevator getting stuck or whatever and rescue never coming :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxconvkLz2I

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Here's a really weird one.

A mom who got photoshops of her dead child gets charged with beating her to death.

http://www.fayobserver.com/military...8f906825bb.html

They also GoFundMe'd for funeral costs, falsely claiming the father was a deadbeat. Just once I want to see this city in the national headlines for something non-terrible.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

subpar anachronism posted:

I knew this guy from another site and we ran in a lot of the same social circles. He always seemed perfectly nice, which makes me wonder how many other people can be hiding a secret like that. That poor little girl.

My brush with creepiness was finding out that an obnoxious guy on a friend's mailing list I was part of circa 2003 has been Perverted Justice's #1 Most Slimy bust for several years running. On that particular list he was famous for insisting he was "a Marine, not a soldier; there is a difference". Clearly he served in the Cola Wars.

Sarcopenia posted:

Criminal Twins

While not creepy, I always kind of liked the Han Twins attempted murder for being a Korean version of a white trash tale straight out of Maury. Despite carpet-bombing every talk show she could get on before the trial, the almost-murdered twin disappeared off the radar immediately afterward.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Filox posted:

I'm hooked. The eye witness testimony, drat. It's all making me glad I don't live near the coast.

Writing can never do a hurricane proper justice. You want to talk about "unnerving", try the dead-still-extremely-humid hours you get before the first bands come in. Not to mention the weird pre-storm behavior of your pets.

Tristesse posted:

The sound really is something else entirely.

This. I was working as a delivery driver during Fran 20 years ago, and was out right until the police department made us close; I remember delivering to a house on the edge of a forest. The sound of a couple of hundred acres of trees blowing in a steady 30mph breeze/50mph gusts, and later that night the sound of the entire east facing side of the house groaning under 85mph gusts are two things I will never forget. As rough as it was, we were still a good 40 miles from the eye at our closest.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

pookel posted:

For some reason I think it's extra hard when someone's death is in the news. You're suffering a personal loss, her their death is being scrutinized by the public, her photos passed around, stupid comments being made about what she did wrong and how she could have avoided being murdered.

Truth. An acquaintance was raped and murdered a few years ago; they eventually charged (and convicted) a man she was seen speaking to briefly on a club's surveillance. Cue comments section full of "THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR TALKING TO NIGGERS" and "WHITE WOMEN, AROUND BLACKS NEVER RELAX" in her local paper. No, I'm not paraphrasing.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

WickedHate posted:

It isn't relevant to the commentator's racism, but did the guy do it?

Yup. Snagged him via DNA, despite his weird conviction that cutting part of her mattress out would keep them from recovering any.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

djssniper posted:

Forget the transcript, there was a clip somewhere (I recommend NOT looking for it) where someone just had to leave, the doors of the court opened mid tape and you could hear a small bit of it, absolutely haunting

Last five minutes of this. Enjoy not sleeping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY4YmVi4_LQ

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

DocBubonic posted:

I don't think anyone has brought up Public Service Announcements yet.

There's a pretty good doc called "Hell's Highway" about these, and how they eventually branched into other lurid things (one film about the dangers of cruising gays featured hidden-camera gay sex)

The California Highway Patrol has a series called Red Asphalt that's easy to find on YouTube that is updated every 7 or 8 years. NWS to the extreme unless your boss is cool with listening to or watching people scrape brain matter off of pavement and into bags.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Leavemywife posted:

Why do people even live in Florida?

1. look at this dude who's never had a proper Cuban sandwich
2. Taco Bus stubbornly refuses to locate outside of the Tampa area

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Glazier posted:

Also it's home, my family goes back generations in Tampa.

the Tampa area is to Florida what Charleston is to South Carolina, an oasis of unexpected pleasantness in a state that cannot otherwise justify its' existence to anyone except people in neighboring states that go there to buy illegal fireworks.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

pookel posted:

I don't understand this idea that something becomes less disturbing because you're acting like murder and torture is hilarious. Like .... how does that not make it MORE creepy and awful?

you do know you're on the website responsible for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AYujWCCHRk right

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

InediblePenguin posted:

you know that was more than fifteen years ago right

wow i had no id-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX1SojKfgNI

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The Ken McElroy case isn't actually that creepy. Nobody "saw" anything in that nobody was willing to give up the shooters because McElroy was a rapist and thug who had terrorized them for years.

One witness claimed a polar bear fell on him

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It kinda tickles me that one guy can singlehandedly bully an entire town.

True he bullied the whole town, but don't forget he's the one that brought the JC Penny's there

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Delivery McGee posted:

Can't blame 'em for getting out while they still have brains.

...or before they want to go out like Dick Trickle

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

On that note, The Great Deluge is long but worth reading.

Warning: do not read if you do not want to become homicidally angry at how utterly, utterly cocked up everything was from City Hall all the way up to the White House and how many people involved deserve to die in prison. Honorable mention for Ray Nagin barricading himself in his office and weeping, convinced that everyone in the Convention Center was laying siege to the building to lynch him.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Also Brownie's book, where he tries to paint himself in a good light and utterly fails.
https://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Indifference-Perfect-Political-Hurricane/dp/1589794850

Something I found interesting in The Great Deluge was that it painted a more sympathetic view of Brownie; basically a bureacrat who understood the gravity of the situation but was given no real power and had to clear everything through DHS (who didn't understand or care about whatever he was asking about) with an oblivious President and Vice President who didn't seem to know just how badly they hobbled FEMA by rolling it into DHS.

As for how accurate that characterization is, I don't know; but given that they savage all other federal, state, and local officials, it is weird.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

My baby daughter was born two days ago.

Why am I reading this? gently caress.

Mine is now 15 months old. Let me tell you, this thread gets less and less entertaining for me through no fault of its own.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Sarcopenia posted:

Holy moly :stare:

Lmao, the youtube comments are full of 9/11 truthers.

just once I want one of them to put their money where their mouth is, put on a steel suit, and lie in a pool of burning jet fuel for half an hour.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

ugh, stop it.

Perhaps some 80s pop will bring up everyone's spirits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4FT7BKr8GE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTVpCcvG0aM

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

gently caress this thread, I'm gonna go laugh at some cheesy old government films
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGMdnod8VPI

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

HopperUK posted:

I found the bombing scene from Threads. It's not quite the same without all the buildup but very well done for the time I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrHoMSRZOS4

Also Testament, goddamn. Really captured the sheer futile stupidity of it all.

man way back when, GBS had an "add inappropriate soundtracks to movies" thread and someone added Trans-Siberian Orchestra to this and it was great. Unfortunately YouTube deleted the copy I uploaded and I'm not sure where my disc with it went.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'm quoting this just so anyone who hasn't seen it, will.

It's sort of funny that people at home with stock footage, some friends, and a copy of Premiere are now remaking Special Bulletin and Countdown to Looking Glass at a higher quality level than the original

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Sarcopenia posted:

Luckily he was a mayor dumbdumb.

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON DUCT TAPE FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

edit: rofl

quote:

When asked what he was doing in the area, Norman said he had an appointment with Spielberg about a screenplay that involved one man raping another man, and that the handcuffs and tape were props.   No screenplay was found in the car

Rev. Bleech_ has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Aug 3, 2017