Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If it makes you fee any better, escalator landings don't just collapse from design flaws. Shoddy malls in podunk Chinese towns are often built without any regard to safety standards. This is going to be a case of gross criminal negligence.

This. News reports are saying maintenance guys forgot to screw the panel back in after previously working on the elevator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Westie posted:

I'm mid-way through reading it and it went from general perversion to holy poo poo this is totally hosed up

I knew this guy from another site and we ran in a lot of the same social circles. He always seemed perfectly nice, which makes me wonder how many other people can be hiding a secret like that. That poor little girl.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

AGirlWonder posted:

I think Googling the story gets you the full article. I know I found one after the story was first posted in this thread. It's a really infuriating story.

Do you remember where? I googled around but couldn't seem to find the full thing.

e: the author's site says this is day 2 (where 'I want to get out' is day one) so this is probably the rest of the article:
http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=98989899&itype=NGPSID&keyword=centerville+cemetery&sdate=2010-07-24&edate=2011-07-24&qtype=any

uranium grass has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Jul 10, 2016

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

One of the more famous unsolved mysteries. History channel aired a special and they're purporting to know the identity of DB Cooper, which is pretty interesting, though not sure how legit the aliens channel is these days.
http://heavy.com/news/2016/07/robert-rackstraw-db-cooper-case-closed-documentary-culprit-who-is/

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Hope this hasn't been posted already, I skimmed back and didn't see it.
The identity of double-identity thief whose actions hadn't come to light until she committed suicide while known as "Lori Ruff" is finally discovered.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Does anyone have any particular favourite books with unnerving topics? I'm downloading the atomic accidents one from the last page but I'm about to send my computer into the shop and could use some reading material for the downtime. Basically any topic that's fit for this thread is fair game- thanks guys!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

That drat Satyr posted:

Honestly, this echos my own feelings. I never wanted kids, and only after getting pregnant and subsequently terminating was I 100% sure kids were never going to be in my future. I had a tubal, then just two years ago ended up having to get a total hysterectomy because surprise endometriosis.

People need to know what it was like before we had laws that protect and regulate these things. It's heartbreaking to me that this exact thing is still happening right now in 2017 in countries where abortion is criminalized.

Vice did a really good short documentary on the situation in the Philippines, where women that miscarry are being locked up for murder and getting an abortion is sketch as hell.

https://video.vice.com/en_us/video/year-of-mercy/56d46b157c65e59c10557a30?latest=1

Ha, well don't get too excited. It still seems to be up, only... The link changed or something?

https://imgur.com/a/sdHPto

Is there still a link to this somewhere? This one's dead.
e: nvm

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

PetraCore posted:

I believe they summon a big ol' pool of people, both the prosecution and the defense have a set number of people they can dismiss for any reason (as long as they're not dumb enough to actually SAY 'oh we're dismissing him because he's black'), and then they comb through more finely to try to make sure the jury is ideally as little biased as possible but in reality both the prosecution and the defense want the jury to be as biased as possible towards THEIR side.

When Martin Shkreli went on trial they actually had a hell of a time finding any jurists because people kept admitting upfront they thought he was a rat bastard who should burn in hell.

He disrespected the Wu-Tang Clan!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I like this weird Andy story, and the Final Fantasy house stories; what other internet-infamous people do y'all think are the most messed up?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Scathach posted:

I love how all these first world countries are all about sterilizing people against their will, but when a woman goes to a doctor wanting to be sterilized it still takes a therapist, her parents and husband to sign off on it after she's finally 30.

Like holy poo poo, people's personal rights are the first thing out the window no matter which direction you're going in. God we suck.

From what I've seen it's a lot easier to get sterilized in the deep south. Just gotta have two or more kids and be on medicaid. Worked for two people I knew as well. One was only twenty at the time.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Wasn't the rise of embalming in modern America largely spurred by the Civil War and having to get your Johnny home on the train to be buried on his plantation? You know, without becoming a pile of sludge in the heat.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Any good books or long form articles about creepy medical stuff? I really enjoyed 83 days.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Just saw this on Vice and I hadn't heard of it before: The disappearance of Lee Boxell. Fair warning, contains descriptions of child abuse.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Pick posted:

I assisted with my grandmother's death through Oregon's Death with Dignity act. ama.

I would like to hear some more about this as I am very pro on the able to choose issue.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

If you click through the woman's history is pretty insane as well.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The weird thing is that trepanation is apparently a prehistoric practice.

Gotta let the demons out somehow.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

gyrf posted:

New material: A man in Michigan hooked up with someone on Grindr on Christmas Eve, and was found 4 days later killed, hung from the rafters by his ankles, and cannibalized.

So this is sadly similar to Dahmer, in that there were warning signs and a previous victim though in this case the victim declined to press charges rather than being returned to the murderer. So this is what the Duck Dynasty guys are up to now.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Bonster posted:

electro-shock treatment

This one they still use, the clinical term is "electro-convulsive therapy". :science:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Not sure about seizures but I had a good run of it for depression that had been resistant to pretty much every med I'd tried. It worked in the short term (as described to me by my partner), but I think I may have just been too out of it to feel the reality of my situation as I now remember none of that time frame.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I think the assumption that suffocation means hanging is inherently flawed. There are a ton of other not uncommon options like CO poisoning that can account for a suffocation death than hanging. Additionally a death by hanging might be death via a broken neck and not a suffocation. I know you're just trying to play devil's advocate here but at this point in time it's hearing hoofbeats and looking for zebras. Or I guess in this case hearing oinks and looking for feral hogs.

uranium grass has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Jun 15, 2020

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Terra-da-loo! posted:

My late aunt used to live in Sumter. The place is a desolate hellscape.

Edit: which makes the theory of the Does being well-to-do foreigners, uh... like, it's not even remotely a vacation spot or anything, and it's sort of hard to imagine them having business there.

You're absolutely right, and that stood out to me too. Perhaps they were travelling back from Myrtle Beach? It's a huge destination for Canadian tourists.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Busket Posket posted:

New theory on the Dyatlov Pass Incident, namely that they got smooshed by a particular type of slab avalanche.

I thought this was already the most commonly accepted theory?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

If the death of one child is a tragedy, what is the death of ten?

In the 1960s, a local couple became the most famous bereaved parents in America as their ten babies died mysteriously, one after another. In April 1998, a Philadelphia magazine investigation revealed the deaths were indeed tragic, but perhaps not unexplainable.

uranium grass has a new favorite as of 00:26 on Feb 6, 2021

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Guy in my online social circle killed a little girl and intended to eat her :(

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Droogie posted:

I recommend a different circle.

Well, now I post here, so...

On a less murdery note, does anyone have any good historical mysteries since I don't think they have their own thread? Stuff like the Starving of Saqqara (almost certainly not what it's claimed to be IMO) or other strange historical artifacts or discoveries that aren't spun from an aliens standpoint?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

There’s already a historical fact/story thread in PYF. The more these sorts of threads get split, the less people post in them and this forum is already dying. Please don’t insist on the death of the few interesting threads that get a small number of daily posts.

Firstly: lmao, that's dramatic as gently caress. Secondly: I'm specifically interested in the weird, unnerving, strange, or possibly crime-related. Historical fact/story doesn't seem to be the appropriate place for that either.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Not trying to be dramatic, it’s just a bummer when threads that I used to be able to read say, the whole fifteen minutes I was waiting for the train or what have you now get like 1 post a day, especially after they keep getting split up into more and more hyper-specific topics and it sucks. I’d rather read a more robust thread that I occasionally skip a post in because it’s not my cup of tea than have nothing to read or be stuck with brain-melting things like doomscrolling Twitter.

I wasn't advocating the thread get split, I literally asked stuff be posted here. You're arguing against the wrong person.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Grunch Worldflower posted:

Isntjere anything to the Starving of Saqqara other than it's a weird looking sculpture with a spooky name? AIIRC we know basically nothing about it except it exists and looks kinda creepy to a modern eye.

Basically it's in a style that's unique from anything found in the period and area it's attributed to, and is unlikely to have actually come from there. a university currently owns it and is supposedly testing it but as far as i can tell nothing specific regarding that has been published.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Sarcopenia posted:

I think your example with the statue thing was a bit confusing because to me at least it just sounds like a statue people don't know enough about yet or maybe never will. Not much unnerving about it and probably would fit in just fine with the historical thread. The reaction you got was a bit over the top though because I never got the sense that you wanted to split up the thread? Don't know where that came from.

Yeah, fair on the mysteriousness - there are definitely stranger ones but I just went for one off the top of my head!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

If you shoot a ghost but it turns out it's actually a human, are you guilty of murder?

why would you shoot something you thought was dead

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Even 2 years seems a lot for this type of crime, unless maybe assault and actual terrorism was involved.

Yeah hate crime lady can take her two years. In a country with a history of outrageous systemic racism against black people, that's perfectly reasonable.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Haven't they found like four other people during the course of the investigation already?

Last I heard at least 7 people other than him

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Desert Bus posted:

Wasn't there a case where someone got axed in the head and then woke up and went about their normal morning routine, slathering blood everywhere, before dying? Head wounds are weird.

That would be Peter Porco

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Amazing year for cold cases, they've announced the child from the Boy in the Box case has been identified. Unfortunately I think this far on his parents have probably passed but perhaps he has some siblings that this will give some closure. I don't believe they've announced the ID yet.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I'm on vacation

:murder:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

What a loving nightmare. Thanks for sharing, that was a good if disheartening read.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

The remains of Maddy Scott have been found very close to the 12th anniversary of her disappearance. I hope her family can get some closure regarding her disappearance.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/madison-scott-found-vanderhoof-1.6858290

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Grassy Knowles posted:

I just use a drugstore adjustable offset for walking, intend on upgrading sometime but it works fine minus being noisy. I’m sure I don’t know what I’m missing, any feature/store/model suggestions beyond offset handle for when I do upgrade?

I like Hugo brand because the grip is comfy. They do start to degrade after a couple years though, I wish you could just buy new grips.