Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

grate deceiver posted:

I don't know, with the universe being as huge as it is, the sun turning into a red giant seems like a more immediate threat than this bubble ever reaching Earth. Hope this cheers you up :)

But we know the sun won't do that for like a billion years. Vacuum decay could happen at any moment, anywhere!

As could gamma ray bursts, asteroid impacts, supervolcanoes, etc. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Kimmalah posted:

I don't know about books, but there are records of people finding bog bodies in peat since at least the 17th century and probably further back than that. But usually they were given a regular burial so I'd assume they're pretty much lost by now. I've also heard of lot of them being accidentally damaged either by the people who found them or by bad attempts at preserving them outside the bog.

Speaking of, ancient mummies used to be ground up for medicine and fertilizer so there's no telling how many of those have been lost.

Paper and Paint too!

See the nice brown hues in that painting?

Mummies!

How's that for your afterlife, King Tut?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

I'm studying nuclear engineering (4th year undergraduate) and I've found these projects to scare off future explorers to be really silly and irresponsible. They're all predicated on the idea that you'll be trying to communicate with primitive hunter-gatherers, with concepts like "no honor here" and other things like you're talking to a Klingon.

I think there are two problems with that. First, almost anything you can try will just make people curious or wonder what treasure you're trying to hide. Second, why the hell are you putting your waste somewhere that primitive tribesman can find it?! Even if they don't find it or your warnings work, it will be close enough to the surface that you're risking contaminating the water table in the event of a leak.

Just stick that poo poo so deep that anyone who finds it will be advanced enough that they'll have radiation detection equipment.

I dunno, 'no honour here' works pretty well when you've got the places where we buried our 'honoured dead' or the monuments to our 'honoured pharaoh', people get that at any tech level.

It just means future archaeologists will be like "It seems the people of the past had some sort of great enemy or shunned caste, lets see what their deal is."