Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Ant chat and no one's mentioned cordyceps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyceps

quote:

Some current and former Cordyceps species are able to affect the behaviour of their insect host: Ophiocordyceps unilateralis (formerly Cordyceps unilateralis) causes ants to climb a plant and attach there before they die. This ensures the parasite's environment is at an optimal temperature and humidity, and that maximal distribution of the spores from the fruiting body that sprouts out of the dead insect is achieved.[4] Marks have been found on fossilised leaves that suggest this ability to modify the host's behaviour evolved more than 48 million years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

We talked about cordyceps and nobody mentioned Instruction for a Help? Some shameful goons :smith:

I really don't get why goons love this article so much. Just sounds like an instruction manual sent through Google translate and back to me.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Popular Human posted:

Did you read the whole thing?

Yes.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Speaking of Mormons: One day a bunch of mormons came across a bunch of pages written in hieroglyphics, and brings it to Joseph Smith, who claimed to be able to read hieroglyphics, and asked him to translate it. He gladly did so, and the translation was published as "The Pearl of Great Price."

Fast forward 150 years or so. We now know how to translate hieroglyphics, and it turns out those pages say nothing like what Joseph Smith says they did. The LDS church puts one of their top apologists on the case, asking him to find a way to reconcile the two translations. According to his daughter, it drove him insane, which caused him to sexually abuse her and possibly other members of the family. :stare:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

dpack_1 posted:

Its interesting, so much so that you should go start it's own thread and not turn this one into a 4 page derail about that one subject.

Except you're literally the only one complaining/derailing so maybe you should get over it?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

The American Dream posted:

Says one of the ten residents is between 25-29 and there's a couple in their 50's, whom I assume are the parents. I am curious what this person is like being in a town with literally no one they could consider a peer. I would assume they have some sort of mental condition forcing them to stay home because they can't live on their own.

I know not everyone is made for city life, even a small one. But poo poo, there's gotta be some farm town in the area with 600 people and a traffic light they could move too. What the hell are they going to do when their parents are dead in 20 years besides cash the checks for another 5 years.

They are convinced - and I am not making this up - that the fire is something the government made up out of whole cloth so they could steal the land and mine all the huge and valuable coal seams that still remain under the town.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
I don't think the issue is so much declaring someone a lost cause as telling them they're a lost cause. If you know they're going to die anyway can't you just load them up on morphine, pat their hand and say "we'll come check on you soon" and leave it at that?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Don't sperm cells not have mitochondria, though? And that's why you can trace maternal lineage through mitochondrial DNA because you know it came from the egg cell?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Wikipedia has a pretty detailed article on hibakusha, too. The reason why some survivors are disqualified is probably because all hibakusha get a special allowance from the government and those who suffer from bomb-related health complications have their medical fees taken care of. Gotta keep costs down.

Apparently a lot of people don't understand how radiation sickness works, and the survivors get discriminated against because of that. As if getting nuked wasn't enough of an insult.

Speaking of Japanese victim-blaming:
What happens when you place a chemical factory on the edge of a tributary leading to one of the largest fishing areas in Japan? You get Minamata disease, aka mercury poisoning. And what do you do when that chemical factory is the largest employer in town?

quote:

Patients' families were the victim of discrimination and ostracism from the local community. Local people felt that the company (and their city that depended upon it) was facing economic ruin. To some patients this ostracism by the community represented a greater fear than the disease itself.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

outlier posted:

The story was, and is, that in the Castle of Glamis is a secret chamber. In this chamber is confined a monster, who is the rightful heir to the title and property, but who is so unpresentable that it is necessary to keep him out of sight and out of possession. .[/spoiler]

That was a great Simpsons ep.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

NuminaXLT posted:

Not Wikipedia, but

Can someone change the thread title to emphasize the "article or wikipedia" part? Because this happens like once a page.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
I've always had a thing about Air France flight 447, probably because it's what led to my morbid fascination with plane crashes.

At the time it was a huge mystery: a seemingly routine and uneventful flight disappears off of radar, it takes months to find the wreckage and years (and deep ocean unmanned subs) to find the CVR. Basically an inexperienced copilot freaked out while crossing the intertropical convergence zone and kept trying to climb, to the point that the plane lost the ability to stay airborne and just fell out of the sky into the ocean. (Ok it was a bit more complicated than that, involving the airbus's different "will the plane respond to ridiculous suicidal control inputs" modes, but still.)

I'm betting that's what happened to the Air Malaysia flight that disappeared in December.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

There's also a really great documentary about TWA Flight 800 which makes the US investigators involved look really loving sketchy. It comes and goes from Netflix but you can probably find it elsewhere. I'm not really a conspiracy theorist but I definitely believe that that aircraft was shot down by a missile. It even seems likely it was an American missile but regardless of who shot it down, the US definitely covered it up.

Really? What proof is there besides "someone thought they saw an explosion"?

Any opinions on the temperature at which steel melts?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Yeah so it turns out the airliner that just crashed in the Alps was crashed deliberately by the co-pilot, after he locked the other pilot out of the cockpit.

http://news.sky.com/story/1453092/alps-crash-co-pilot-wanted-to-destroy-plane

#FuckThisPlanet

Came here to post this. And of course the article I read had to point out that they're going through the co-pilot's home looking for, among other things, any articles pertaining to his faith.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

TKIY posted:

I'm curious why you'd feel that way. He was an undiagnosed schizophrenic having a sudden and severe episode.

It's hard to find a more ideal example of someone not criminally responsible.

Because people don't like the idea of living in a world where bad things happen and aren't really anyone's fault; much easier and safer-feeling to say it was somehow his responsibility or he should've been able to prevent it or if we lock him up bad things won't happen anymore.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Not to steal Kermit's thunder, but I have a weird obsession with plane crashes too. Actually, one happened near me this past week: http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/more-expected-today-on-cause-of-fatal-plane-crash/article_11a046fd-ceee-58a2-92e0-d73d45d4c22b.html

A plane carrying a group of people, including 2 from Illinois State University's athletic department and a bunch of local business owners, was on the way home from the NCAA tournament in one guy's dad's cessna, when they crashed while trying to land in heavy fog. The NTSB is still investigating, of course, but so far we know it was on track to make a fairly routine ILS landing, but suddenly turned left and crashed into a field, killing everyone on board. (Notice how the flight status is "result unknown" :gonk: ) The last radar data we have shows them suddenly climbing before suddenly descending (into the ground); my guess (I am not an NTSB investigator) is the pilot decided at the last minute to either go around or divert to another airport because of the fog, tried to climb but stalled out and crashed. It really was insanely foggy that morning; I remember looking out my kitchen window as I went to make coffee and not being able to see the house across the street, and wondering how I was going to get to work on time. Then I turned on the TV and saw this.

I couldn't say why car crashes and shootings on the local news don't disturb me, but this does; maybe just because it's so unusual. Peoria and Bloomington-Normal are far from rural, but we're still small enough stuff like this doesn't happen here. Plane crashes happen at O'Hare, not CIRA. :shrug:

But whatever happened to them, at least it happened fairly quickly. What really creeps me out is how long a plane can stay in the air after something catastrophic happens before it lands. The archetypical example being Japan Airlines Flight 123.

Wikipedia posted:

About 12 minutes after takeoff, at near cruising altitude over Sagami Bay, the aircraft's aft pressure bulkhead tore open due to a preexisting defect, stemming from a panel that had been incorrectly repaired after a tailstrike accident years earlier. This caused an explosive decompression, causing pressurized air to rush out of the cabin and bring down the ceiling around the rear lavatories. The air then blew the vertical stabilizer off the aircraft, severing all four hydraulic lines. A photograph taken from the ground some time later confirmed that the vertical stabilizer was missing.[18] Loss of cabin pressure at high altitude caused a lack of oxygen throughout; emergency oxygen masks for passengers were deployed. Flight attendants, including one off-duty, administered oxygen to various passengers using hand-held tanks.[7]

So far so good; plane's still in the air, and not yet full of ghosts. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to control:

quote:

Hydraulic fluid completely drained away through the rupture. With total loss of hydraulic control and non-functional control surfaces, plus the lack of stabilizing influence from the vertical stabilizer, the aircraft began up and down oscillation in a phugoid cycle. In response, pilots exerted efforts to establish stability using differential engine thrust. Further measures to exert control, such as lowering the landing gear and flaps, interfered with control by throttle; the aircrew's ability to control the aircraft deteriorated. [...] The elapsed time from the bulkhead explosion to when the plane hit the mountain was estimated at 32 minutes – long enough for some passengers to write farewells to their families. Subsequent simulator re-enactments with the mechanical failures suffered by the crashed plane failed to produce a better solution, or outcome; despite best efforts, none of the four flight crews in the simulations kept the plane aloft for as long as the 32 minutes achieved by the actual crew.

Imagine that. Imagine being on a plane for half an hour, knowing something really loving serious had happened, but not knowing if you would live or die.

Of course, even if you survived the crash, you had to be rescued...

quote:

After losing track on radar, a U.S. Air Force C-130 from the 345 TAS was asked to search for the missing plane. The C-130 crew was the first to spot the crash site 20 minutes after impact, while it was still daylight. The crew sent the location to Japanese authorities and radioed Yokota Air Base to alert them and directed a Huey helicopter from Yokota to the crash site. Rescue teams were assembled in preparation to lower Marines down for rescues by helicopter tow line. Despite American offers of assistance in locating and recovering the crashed plane, an order arrived, saying that U.S. personnel were to stand down and announcing that the Japan Self-Defense Forces were going to take care of it themselves and outside help was not necessary.

Off-duty flight attendant Yumi Ochiai, one of the four survivors out of 524 passengers and crew, recounted from her hospital bed that she recalled bright lights and the sound of helicopter rotors shortly after she awoke amid the wreckage, and while she could hear screaming and moaning from other survivors, these sounds gradually died away during the night.

Well, gently caress.

But for sheer, pants-making GBS threads terror, I think Alaska Air 261 is still my worst nightmare:

Wikipedia again posted:

Approximately two hours into the flight, the flight crew contacted the airline's dispatch and maintenance control facilities in SeaTac, Washington, and on a shared company radio with operations and maintenance facilities at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) discussed a jammed horizontal stabilizer and a possible diversion to LAX.[9] The jammed stabilizer prevented operation of the trim system, which would normally make slight adjustments to the flight control surfaces to keep the plane stable in flight. At their cruising altitude and speed, the position of the jammed stabilizer required the pilots to pull on their controls with approximately 10 pounds (44N) of force to keep level.

[...]

At 4:09 p.m., the flight crew unjammed the horizontal stabilizer with the primary trim system, however, upon being freed, it quickly moved to an extreme "nose-down" position, forcing the aircraft into an almost vertical nosedive. The plane dropped from about 31,500 feet to between 23,000 and 24,000 feet in around 80 seconds.[9] Both pilots struggled together to regain control of the aircraft, and only by pulling with 130 to 140 pounds-force (580 to 620 N) on the controls did the flight crew arrest the 6,000 foot-per minute descent of the aircraft and stabilize themselves at approximately 24,400 feet.
So you're a passenger, sitting back and relaxing and enjoying your flight, when suddenly the airplane starts to nosedive. For a minute and a half, you're convinced you're going to die, making your peace with God and wondering what's going to happen to your kids... then the flight levels out.

You spend the next 10 minutes wondering what the hell is happening, if you're going to die, what shape the plane's in, and then...

quote:

Beginning at 4:19 p.m., the CVR recorded the sounds of at least four distinct "thumps" followed 17 seconds later by an "extremely loud noise" as the jackscrew failed and completely separated from the nut holding it in place. The aircraft rapidly pitched over into a dive.[9] The crippled aircraft had been given a block altitude, and several aircraft in the vicinity had been alerted by ATC to maintain visual contact with the stricken jet and they immediately contacted the controller.[12] One pilot radioed "that plane has just started to do a big huge plunge"; another reported, "Yes sir, ah, I concur he is, uh, definitely in a nose down, uh, position descending quite rapidly."[12] ATC then tried to contact the plane. The crew of a Skywest airliner reported "He's, uh, definitely out of control." [12] Although the CVR captured the co-pilot saying "Mayday," no radio communications were received from the flight crew during the final event.[10][12]

The CVR transcript reveals the pilots' continuous attempts for the duration of the dive to regain control of the aircraft.[10] At one point, unable to raise the nose, they attempted to fly the aircraft "upside-down".[10] However, the aircraft was beyond recovery; it descended inverted and nose-down about 18,000 feet in 81 seconds, a descent rate exceeding 13,300 feet per minute (approx. 151.1 mph), before hitting the ocean at high speed. At this time, pilots from aircraft flying in the same area reported in, with one SkyWest Airlines pilot saying, "and he's just hit the water," meaning the plane had crashed into the ocean. Another reported, "Yeah sir, he, uh, he, uh, hit the water, he's, uh, down." The aircraft was destroyed by the impact forces, and all occupants died from blunt force impact trauma.

quote:

At one point, unable to raise the nose, they attempted to fly the aircraft "upside-down".
Sweet dreams, everyone.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

It's, uh, it's not normal for air force guys to be dicking around in the cockpit like that, right? :stare:

Wild T posted:

Funny thing about aircraft crashes. I am a human lightning rod for aircraft crashes, though never involving myself (at least, so far).

I would think being in the air force, and thus very frequently around planes, would make you more likely to be around aircraft crashes. Not to mention there's a whole heap of magical thinking in this post (Germanwings happened a week after I left Germany! COINCIDENCE?!)

Not trying to sound like a jerk, I just hope you don't actually think there's any kind of cause and effect here.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

House Louse posted:

Not in America :agesilaus:

racist

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Khazar-khum posted:

He found out that you can win games, that you really can get your name up on the scoreboard, that you most certainly can aim the ball, and that you can play multiball.

I still refuse to believe any of that is true.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Chicken Butt posted:

Agreed -- there has to be a twist.

TheKennedys posted:

You have to have a very supple wrist.

No, the trick is to play by sense of smell.

Unrelated: I know the Max Headroom signal intrusion has been posted before, but this article has some interesting new information on the case toward the end.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Randalor posted:

The awful app and Safari seem to hate that link. Can someone post a summary for those of us on phones?

Weird, works fine for me on android. Maybe try a different browser?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Karma Monkey posted:

Whoa, thanks for this! Listening to the stuff on the pages led me to this:

Exploding Head Syndrome

I get this sometimes, albeit in an extremely mild form, so maybe it doesn't fall under this syndrome, but it's certainly similar. I never knew it had a name or explanation for it beyond, "What the gently caress is my brain doing?" It startles me, but I never thought of it as dangerous or paranormal. I just assumed it was my brain doing annoying poo poo while I'm drifting in sleep. It's a really loud noise, but it's completely internal, which makes it really weird.

Whenever it happens in a dead sleep, I just assume it must be one of my cats doing something or a neighbor slamming a car door (which it could also be at those times) and my brain has processed it as an internal noise rather than an external one. Mine never lasts more than one single blast of sound.

I sometimes hear my name being called, just once, as if to wake me up, which is more unsettling, but again, after so many times of it happening, having my heart thumping away, only to discover absolutely nothing going on and then going back to sleep, I can only conclude it's just my brain misfiring and not a jerkwad ghost. It's more like an echo or auditory memory of my name being called, if that makes sense. I wonder if there's a name for that phenomenon. :iiam:

You may be experiencing hypnagogia, a fancy term for the place between sleep and awake.

For some reason, ever since I was little, when I am really tired and closed my eyes I see a green grid with orange and green balls falling through it. I have no idea why or how it started. It just happens and I think "oh, I'd better get to bed soon."

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

wyntyr posted:

(Note: if this is too off topic since very little of it is coming from Wikipedia or the like,)

I love your effort posting in this thread, please don't stop, but for the love of God:

quote:

PYF scary or unnerving article or Wikipedia

quote:

PYF scary or unnerving article or Wikipedia

quote:

PYF scary or unnerving article :siren:OR:siren: Wikipedia

Please stop triggering me :qq:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

8 Ball posted:

The Howard Unruh story reminded me alot of the Hungerford massacre, which I actually learnt about in this thread despite the scarcity of firearms in my country and the rarity of killing sprees.

Only killed 16 people and Wikipedia calls it "one of the worst firearms atrocities in UK history"? 'Round here we call that Tuesday :clint:

:smith:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

dissss posted:

Round where?

Even in the USA that'd be in the top 10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Mister Mind posted:

This place is not a place of honor.
No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here.
Nothing valued is here.

:golfclap:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

After being pinioned for execution, Christie complained that his nose itched. Pierrepoint assured him that "It won't bother you for long".

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Why do you say that?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Nah. We're talking about people who set their lives by the sun. If it was bright enough to see by and they didn't have a watch or clock in the camp, I can totally see one or two assuming it was the pre-dawn and either starting their day until they realized the sun still wasn't up, or waking up, going "boy I bet somebody could get tricked by that!" , going back to sleep, and later making a joke to their friends.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not to be "that guy," but Larson asked the internet nicely not to post his stuff around, and we goons have been pretty good about respecting that.

Not to be "that guy," but it's an old rear end newspaper comic used non-commercially as a punchline. Calm your tits.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Capoeira Capybara posted:

I always kind of assumed that this was why we goons respected his wishes. I love the far side, and if I can thank Gary for all the laughs by just not posting loving cow tools, that's an easy thing to do and feel a little bit good about imo.

I'm sure Gary is looking at this thread right now, a single tear rolling down his cheek as he watches the guy with the 2010 regdate white knight both him and GUNE TRADISHUN

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

djssniper posted:

Not sure how that changes the copyright issue, I own most of Larsons books (he's loving funny), it's his sole income, and I liked his style when he asked people in the right way to not do this, when his publisher wanted to go all lawyer on it

Gary Larsen is not losing any money because someone posted an image on a forum.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Imagined posted:

I wonder if he's a big fan of Titannica.

I hate you for making me laugh at this.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

RCarr posted:

So because Everest is 8,848 **METERS** high, that means 37,000 feet suddenly becomes four times that height?

It does if you missed that the m was not an f. Calm down dude.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

RCarr posted:

Should I type slower? How do I calm down on the internet :whitewater:

Also I think you're trying to say that whoever wrote the story missed the 'm'. As you can see by my bolded writing I fact checked as I do before every post I make on the online.

If you looked at Wikipedia, saw that it said 8,848 and didn't check the units and just assumed the units were feet, then you could be forgiven (by everyone but rcarr) for believing that 37,000 feet is more than 4 times as high.

Also, generally ***TYPING LIKE THIS*** is considered a sign of extreme emotion of some sort, which is why I told you to calm down.

This has been How To Internet, thanks for watching.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Here's a PDF of the report after he died, for the morbidly curious.

e.: It's really easy to sit here and think about how stupid these parents must have been, but I'm trying to put myself in their shoes. I see my 4 year old go from perfectly healthy to hooked up to a ventilator in 24 hours. The doctors are telling me he's braindead but that can't be right, he was fine yesterday morning. Besides, don't coma patients sometimes wake up from comas after the doctors said they were vegetables, right? Let's just keep him on the ventilator for a while. it can't hurt, and who knows, maybe the doctors were wrong!

After you've locked yourself into that decision, it becomes that much harder to go back. When do you decide to give up - after one year? Five years? Ten years? How terrible must it be to know, deep in the back of your mind, that your child is only alive because of you, and you're going to have to decide when to kill him? You can make that decision, you can pick the day you're going to let him die... or you can just yield to the sunk cost fallacy and keep him going. It can't hurt. We've come this far. Who knows, miracles happen...

Apparently at the end, he was having increasingly terrible respiratory infections, requiring increasingly aggressive treatment. Only then did his parents decide no further measures should be taken to keep him alive. It must have been a relief to feel like finally Fate was playing its hand, and they wouldn't have to make that terrible decision.

A Pinball Wizard has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Jul 13, 2015

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

nocal posted:

I know a child who was beaten to death by an adult. I don't really want to give details that identify the person.

It's hard to know what to feel. I feel a lot of things, but what should I feel? I suppose at first I felt shock; not just that a person is dead, but that I didn't suspect that he could die. It hadn't been a consideration. It's idiotic to admit: I Didn't Think A Boy Could Die. But that's the thought, transcribed in real time, imprinting itself into my brain. Shock that a person could do it. I've felt the urge to hit, in that real-not-real way where I've joked, "Does this kid realize I could beat him up?" As in, of course life is not so simple, that we don't just use instincts, that we are something above instinct alone. But he did it. And it's hard not to return to: he beat him to death. Gosh, adult man, it seems like you sure went *overboard*!!!

I've thought about it from every angle, and I actually feel, in part, relieved (relieved! and yet, it's not a relief to feel relieved! in fact kind of the opposite!). There was nothing I could have done, really in the literal sense. It was out of my control. But this thought suddenly makes me sweat: not in my control. Not in my control. Nothing I could do. There was nothing you could do. It's not your fault, you couldn't help him. You couldn't save him. There is nothing.

That's terrible. I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope they nail the bastard to the wall.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Alereon posted:

Why do you think it serves the interests of truth or justice to deny that a depressed woman with a history of suicide attempts killed herself in police custody?

This is illustrative of the whole problem with the case. There's two versions of her intake papers: one printed out and filled out by hand, and the other on the computer, where the answers fromt he printout should have been entered identically. They don't match up. One says she was depressed and actively suicidal, the other doesn't. One says she had epilepsy and was taking medication for it, the other doesn't. Which one is right? At this point, no one knows. That's why it's dumb to even speculate at this point. We don't have an official cause of death, we don't have her medical history, we don't have anything but initial statements, a dash cam vid, and an internet hype machine revved up to max. More details are going to come out, and we'll be able to draw some real conclusions, but this whole "SHE WAS DEAD IN HER MUGSHOT!!!" reminds me of Reddit trying to sniff out the Boston Marathon bomber via cell phone pictures.

MisterBibs posted:

All of this makes me wonder if the suicide was simply an attempt at one that went too well. She broke the law, got busted on camera for assaulting a police officer, was pissed about it... and they put her in a cell full of stuff to hurt herself with.

So far, there's nothing to indicate she actually did assault a police officer. If they had video of her assaulting an officer, they would've released it by now.

Serious Cephalopod posted:

Occam's razor isn't about going with the answer provided for you.

In that picture, though, she looks like she's been crying and is on the floor or being held against a wall. I don't think she's dead, there.

How does it look like she's being held down? It doesn't look like she's been crying either, for that matter. It's a "I can't believe this poo poo" look.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

RCarr posted:

That's on the police department. They hosed up and they are rightfully being viewed as being suspicious because of it.

When did I say it wasn't their fault? I'm saying we don't know which version is right, who hosed it up, whether it was intentional or not - basically nothing. Even saying it's suspicious is presumptuous at this point.

Serious Cephalopod posted:

Also, those waiting for evidence from her medical history, the coroner, the DA's office, and actual real investigative journalists with experience outside of posting on Reddit.

ftfy

A Pinball Wizard has a new favorite as of 21:09 on Jul 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Zero One posted:

I don't think this is really a mystery but it's still scary and going on right now.

Two 14 year old boys are missing at sea and their boat was just found 200 miles away from their home with no trace of them. Their parents say that the kids were not permitted to take the boat on the ocean (yeah that will work) but one of them posted on social media about going to the Bahamas.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/families-teens-missing-florida-coast-offer-100-000-reward-n398606

Also Joe Namath is involved.

It will be interesting to watch this evolve online. "They had been sailing since they were toddlers, so there's no way they just hosed up and fell overboard! There was a dinner ready in the galley when they found the boat and it was still warm! One of them posted on loosechange.org and was about to prove jews did 9/11 so the FBI killed them! Locals reported seeing a sasquatch riding the Loch Ness Monster cresting nearby just hours before the boat was found!"