Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I've got to give credit to CHIKARA for trying to keep things fresh. I haven't watched anything since their first iPPV (Green Ant jumped off a balcony!) but I've kept up with spoilers. 4-Man teams should be good, and CHIKARA's random mismash of teams are always entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Gavok posted:

Quack made an announcement of this year's big gimmick. He didn't give too many details, but much like 2011 was about the 12 Large Tournament, 2015 will be about something called the Challenge of the Immortals. 10 team captains have been chosen and on Monday on Twitter, there's going to be a draft. Looking at the roster page, I guess we're getting 10 teams of 4 for whatever's going on and a couple will have to sit it out.

prediction: oleg doesn't get picked by the rest of the wrecking crew

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Sounds good, so tired of "Big Evil Invading Chikara" I started watching right before the start of the BDK, and it feels like almost every season has been a group of invaders.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

LobsterMobster posted:

prediction: oleg doesn't get picked by the rest of the wrecking crew

Oh God, yes. Oleg is the slow-burn face turn I've been looking forward to the most in years because the dude is so infectiously fun, even when he's a bad guy. MORE SPEED!

syzpid posted:

Sounds good, so tired of "Big Evil Invading Chikara" I started watching right before the start of the BDK, and it feels like almost every season has been a group of invaders.

Pretty much. Don't get me wrong, I think they're all good angles and unique enough. Gekido did a really great job telling an interesting story (outside of Quack not turning heel) in an angle featuring a ton of new guys who were totally green. But after Deucalion was taken out, Chikara should probably go at least five years before doing that kind of storyline again because we've received peak escalation.

The Challenge of the Immortals is exactly what the company needs right now*. Invasion storylines are fine most of the time, but they tend to remove the individuality of the wrestlers and they just become too uniform. Now we'll have interesting interactions and rivalries introduced, giving everyone something to do. I hope 3.0 and the Batiri are put together as Team Worst on Twitter.

*Just kidding, what the company needs right now is better camera equipment and editors.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I hope they don't make it Atomicos because that'll really deplete the roster (do they even have 40 full-time wrestlers?) and the cards will be all atomicos this year.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I hope they don't make it Atomicos because that'll really deplete the roster (do they even have 40 full-time wrestlers?) and the cards will be all atomicos this year.

A couple people sometimes pull double (or even triple) duty.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Here's the roster page. 43 wrestlers are there, though it's missing Orbit Adventure Ant, Lithuanian Snow Troll and Pinkie Sanchez. As far as I know, there's only two pair of double-duty wrestlers in there (Mr. Azerbaijan/Chuck Taylor and Ice Cream Jr./Hallowicked, though I'm not sure if that's currently true).

I can't see it being nothing but atomicos. Probably a faction warfare round robin tournament where singles victories, tag matches, etc. win your team points.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
A special message from Hallowicked you say? This should be some weird grunting.

http://youtu.be/QWG2o4mj0pw

:stare:

The Cannibal Prince? THE LORD OF ROT?

Uh-oh

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

LobsterMobster posted:

Uh-oh

Glad that Anton Arcane from Swamp Thing is joining Chikara.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Gavok posted:

Glad that Anton Arcane from Swamp Thing is joining Chikara.
Swamp Monster the breakout star of 2015

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

LobsterMobster posted:

Uh-oh

Yeah, speculation is already running rampant on the 101 Forums about who the Lord of Rot is. Whoever they are, it's clear they have some sort of history with Mantis and Wicked. I have two theories.

1. Blind Rage. He's had long association with Wicked and Mantis. He is a zombie, and zombies are known for being both rotting corpses and for eating flesh. Granted, when last seen, Blind Rage was still allied with Mantis, but it's always possible something could have changed.

2. Kevin Condron. The Lord of Rot wants Mantis to submit to his judgment for his "crimes," and Condron has declared he has a long list of wrongs that he wants to right. Condron also swore he'd eat his followers in the lean times. On Twitter, he also said only his chosen could bear his symbol, and Wicked and Frightmare both sport a new logo.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

On the 101 forum, Quack explained what Challenge of the Immortals is all about :

- Tomorrow night, ten captains will draft teammates, giving us ten teams of four.
- The ten teams will be doing a DOUBLE round robin tournament throughout the season.
- The captains can decide how many people will be in the matches, whether it's singles, tag, trios or atomicos.
- The two matches can't be the same style. So Team Fire Ant can't have two singles matches against Team Hallowicked.
- Every victory gets your team one tournament point.
- All of these matches exist outside of the championship points system. So even if your team wins nothing but tag matches, you won't get a title shot.
- Once all is said and done, everyone on the winning team gets a "Golden Opportunity." Basically a Money in the Bank. It doesn't matter how many points you have or how much you lose from there on out. If you want a title match for either title, you got one.

Sounds like a smart enough way to get around injuries and wrestlers leaving.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Your Challenge of the Immortals team captains:

Amasis
Juan Francisco de Coronado
Hallowicked
Jacob Hammermeier
Dasher Hatfield
Ophidian
Princess KimberLee
Max Smashmaster
Chuck Taylor
UltraMantis Black

Interesting to see the Portal is split up

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

LobsterMobster posted:

Your Challenge of the Immortals team captains:

Amasis
Juan Francisco de Coronado
Hallowicked
Jacob Hammermeier
Dasher Hatfield
Ophidian
Princess KimberLee
Max Smashmaster
Chuck Taylor
UltraMantis Black

Interesting to see the Portal is split up

Yeah, I don't know what they're doing with the Portal right now. They're playing it up that Ophidian is super frustrated that the gods aren't hearing his prayers and you'd think that it would be leading to him turning heel, but the last Amasis/Ophidian feud is still too fresh.

What I find interesting is that UltraMantis is a captain in light of that Hallowicked video. Hallowicked specifically warned him not to recruit any followers and that's pretty much what UltraMantis' is tasked to do.

Predicting that one of the teams is Kimber Lee, Jervis, Remington and Oleg. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Chuck Taylor poaches Remington first. He'll also probably get NRG, since they seem like a good fit for him.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Gavok posted:

Yeah, I don't know what they're doing with the Portal right now. They're playing it up that Ophidian is super frustrated that the gods aren't hearing his prayers and you'd think that it would be leading to him turning heel, but the last Amasis/Ophidian feud is still too fresh.

What I find interesting is that UltraMantis is a captain in light of that Hallowicked video. Hallowicked specifically warned him not to recruit any followers and that's pretty much what UltraMantis' is tasked to do.

Predicting that one of the teams is Kimber Lee, Jervis, Remington and Oleg. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Chuck Taylor poaches Remington first. He'll also probably get NRG, since they seem like a good fit for him.

I want Ophidian to at least get Argus so they can be reptile pals

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Kinda hoping either Dasher or Kimber Lee poaches Blaster before Max can.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

When is the draft happening?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

When is the draft happening?

Top of the hour

Draft order so far:

1. Max Smashmaster
2. Dasher Hatfield
3. UltraMantis Black
4. Chuck Taylor
5. Hallowicked
6. Jacob Hammermeier
7. Amasis
8. Ophidian
9. Juan Francisco de Coronado
10. Princess KimberLee

Round 1

1. Blaster McMassive
2. Mr. Touchdown
3. Kodama
4. Drew Gulak
5. Frightmare
6. Soldier Ant
7. Fire Ant
8. Eddie Kingston
9. Mr. Azerbaijan
10. Jervis Cottonbelly

Round 2

1. Obariyon
2. Icarus
3. Flex Rumblecrunch
4. Orange Cassidy
5. Silver Ant
6. Nokken
7. Worker Ant
8. Shynron
9. Prakash Sabar
10. El Hijo del Ice Cream

Round 3

1. Oleg the Usurper
2. Heidi Lovelace
3. Jaka
4. Swamp Monster
5. Blind Rage
6. Pinkie Sanchez
7. Ashley Remington
8. Argus
9. Proletariat Boar of Moldova
10. Ice Cream Jr

TEAMS

Max Smashmaster, Blaster McMassive, Obariyon, Oleg the Usurper
Dasher Hatfield, Mr. Touchdown, Icarus, Heidi Lovelace
UltraMantis Black, Kodama, Flex Rumblecrunch, Jaka
Chuck Taylor, Drew Gulak, Orange Cassidy, Swamp Monster
Hallowicked, Frightmare, Silver Ant, Blind Rage
Jacob Hammermeier, Soldier Ant, Nokken, Pinkie Sanchez
Amasis, Fire Ant, Worker Ant, Ashley Remington
Ophidian, Eddie Kingston, Shynron, Argus
Juan Francisco de Coronado, Mr. Azerbaijan, Prakash Sabar, Proletariat Boar of Moldova
Princess KimberLee, Jervis Cottonbelly, El Hijo del Ice Cream, Ice Cream Jr

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 17, 2015

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

These goofballs need some single entity retweeting all the picks, and also making sure that everyone uses the hashtag

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Is it a 1-10-10-1 draft? Not that it matters too much, but it could change my guesses as to what's going to happen.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

And with the draft finished, here's who nobody wanted:

Arctic Rescue Ant
Missile Assault Ant
Orbit Adventure Ant
Kevin Condron
Lithuanian Snow Troll
Volgar
Race Jaxon
Hype Rockwell
Shane Matthews
Scott Parker

Matthews tweeted, "Well, this is embarrassing."

Gavok fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 17, 2015

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Apparently trades are allowed

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Yeah, only for the next 48 hours. I'm just hoping UltraMantis doesn't trade back with Smashmaster. Unless Smashmaster accidentally trades Blaster for Kodama and doesn't realize it until it's too late.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Chuck's squad could not be more perfect.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I think Dasher and Amasis have the best teams. Hallowicked's isn't bad either.

Also, its 40 wrestlers, but really its only like 30 people making up the 40. Lots of double dipping, possibly tripping dipping even.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Who's Argus?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Blind Rage. Huh.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

But what of Ashley Remington?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Thauros posted:

Who's Argus?

WrestleFactory rookie

Sockser posted:

But what of Ashley Remington?

Picked by Amasis

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Thauros posted:

Who's Argus?

Rookie who debuted for Wrestling is Fun! last August. Got a robot thing going on.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

OmegaBR posted:

Rookie who debuted for Wrestling is Fun! last August. Got a robot thing going on.

he is a lizard-man

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Argus got the pin in the main event of NPWD, so he's got that going for him.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I hope Heidi turns on them and brings in Monster-gun Oedotai and Kimura boots Icarus' face off.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Yeah, I like Argus. He's got kind of a Goldust/Stardust weirdo vibe, only he's mute and he wrestles in an English grappling style. He's green, but I think he could build himself into something worthwhile.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

LobsterMobster posted:

Picked by Amasis

Whoops :shobon:

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Gavok posted:

And with the draft finished, here's who nobody wanted:

Shane Matthews
Scott Parker

Matthews tweeted, "Well, this is embarrassing."

Well it's one way for Quack to tell people they won't be booked that year.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Wazzu posted:

Well it's one way for Quack to tell people they won't be booked that year.

Let's be fair. By Quack standards, that could also mean that there's gonna be a storyline involving them not being picked. You never know with him.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I think 3.0 are the new Super Smash Brothers of CHIKARA. They will just stopped being booked altogether. I do wonder if some of Shane's crazy tweets are the reaction they got at KOT last year had anything to do with that.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm going to start watching CHIKARA again for the first time since the company "died"! I have no idea who roughly a third of these people are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Flameingblack posted:

I'm going to start watching CHIKARA again for the first time since the company "died"! I have no idea who roughly a third of these people are.

Here are the guys who have shown up since then:

Oleg the Usurper: Big, doofy viking guy who loves eating onions. Actually murdered beloved Chikara staple Dragon Dragon via decapitation. He's in a stable called the Wrecking Crew with the Devastation Corporation and Jaka, but is treated as the bitch of the group due to his tendency to screw things up.

Heidi Lovelace: Wrestled regularly in the Wrestling Is promotions that replaced Chikara when it was dead. Doesn't really have much of a personality outside of the usual, "She's a woman wrestling in Chikara so don't take her lightly because she fights really hard, okay?" Made her debut in Chikara proper at the end of last season when she won the Young Lions Cup.

Jaka: Oleg's usual tag team partner. Much like how the Devastation Corporation are a throwback to the old Road Warriors style of gimmick, Jaka is a throwback to the wild savage concept. Nothing extra goofy in there. Just a wild savage with an invincible head. Tends to shave only one side of his head.

Gentleman's Club: Chuck Taylor, Drew Gulak, Orange Cassidy and the Swamp Monster have only made a couple appearances in Chikara, but they've been a regular foursome in the indies and on Chuck's defunct web series of the same name. Gulak is a lawyer, Cassidy is an accomplished wrestler who is always under the influence and Swamp Monster is a swamp monster.

Silver Ant: Is Green Ant after realizing that Green Ant is a stupid name for someone who has been wrestling since 2009.

Nokken: The BDK was recreated and Nokken was the new Tursas. Roughly the same size, only slimmer, but the same look and gimmick. Last year, Tursas returned to the team for a couple months and teamed with Nokken until being killed off. Is the current #1 contender.

Worker Ant: New gimmick for assailANT, the Gekido member who was forced to join the Colony against their wishes. He ended up earning their trust, so they gave him Worker Ant's tights.

Smooth Sailin' Ashley Remington: The surviving nephew of the dearly departed Darkness Crabtree. Remington came into a lot of money from Crabtree's will and became a yacht enthusiast. He's also the most delightful, coolest dude you'll ever meet and is constantly making referees and opponents alike swoon. Even Chuck Taylor sort of likes him. After matches, he tends to give his opponent a fruit basket.

Shynron: Really cool high flyer guy. Won the Rey de Voladores at last year's King of Trios. Doesn't really have much of a character (except he loves Dragonball Z?) nor has he been in any major storylines.

Argus: Mute, reptilian, robotic weirdo. Had a couple matches in Wrestling is Fun and made his Chikara debut at National Pro Wrestling Day.

Juan Francisco de Coronado: A self-serious aristocrat from Ecuador in a bowtie. Is constantly referring to Americans as "United Staters" and bragging about repeatedly selling out the Ecuadome. Since Icarus turned face, Juan Francisco is sort of like his replacement. The guy who gets booed without even doing or saying anything.

The Bloc Party: Wrestling is Fun and later Chikara built up a long-running feud between the Baltic Siege (Estonian Thunderfrog, Latvian Proud Oak and Lithuanian Snow Troll) and the Polar Baron's Bloc Party. Though the Siege ultimately won the blowoff, Thunderfrog and Proud Oak were murdered by last season's big bad Deucalion and Snow Troll surrendered and became his slave. That left the Bloc Party to do whatever. Mr. Azerbaijan is an aging bodybuilder/model known for winning "Mr. Azerbaijan's Sexiest Man" many years in a row. Proletariat Boar of Moldova is a rather big dude with a boar mask who likes Goaring people. Prakash Sabar is formerly from Pakistan, making him Ex-Pakistani. It's a long-reaching pun because his gimmick is that he's a Middle Eastern X-Pac knockoff. It's just that he's yet to land the Bronco Buster because it's not family friendly.

Princess Kimber Lee: A prim and proper princess who also wrestles. She was in Wrestling is Fun for a while as a heel referee to a face tag team, but since showing up in Chikara at last year's King of Trios, she's been played as a face.

Jervis Cottonbelly: A recasting of an old Chikara gimmick from about ten years ago. Jervis is the world's sweetest man and is constantly acting like a gentleman to everyone, whether they're an ally or an enemy.

• Locked thread