Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
CHUCK TAYLOR!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Chuck Taylor getting cheered, I have no idea what's going on.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I don't know who this guy is, but I love the "Let's go Sailing" chant.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

thelazyblank posted:

Chuck Taylor getting cheered, I have no idea what's going on.

Where the hell's the 24/7 belt?!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Perry Normal posted:

I don't know who this guy is, but I love the "Let's go Sailing" chant.

This is anew guy for CHIKARA who was otherwise known as Dalton Castle in other promotions, I think.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Smooth Sailing is stealing Joey Ryan's schtick and now I'm kinda pissed off about it

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

EugeneJ posted:

Smooth Sailing is stealing Joey Ryan's schtick and now I'm kinda pissed off about it

Wasn't Ryan a prick while doing this? Or am I misremembering?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why is Quack kayfabe using a cane - I can't keep up with anything

EDIT: And now he's cutting a promo with a British accent, what

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Wait, if Quack is "only" DoF, who's the new owner?

Is... is Dave Coulier back?

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
Both commentators are calling him Kizarny now.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Good show, fun atmosphere, I'm glad Chikara is back.

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.
Icarus is so awful.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Putting on a shirt is a heck of a face move for Icarus.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.pwinsider.com/article/85879/chikara-you-only-live-twice-ippv-live-report.html?p=1

quote:

An awesome Lego-themed video aired hyping the King of Trios 2014. No date or location was shown in the video. Gregory Davis, who was in attendance, told me the live crowd was told it would take place in Easton, presumably in September (since that month is free on their calendar so far).

I'm not going to Easton - why the hell don't they bring it back to Philly?

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I like Easton. Its a nice venue. Loads of parking, air conditioning works, good cell phone reception. It's pretty much their homebase now, and I bet the rent isn't too bad.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

This was a real fun show. Some of the booking was confusing, though. Spoilering in case anyone is waiting to watch.

This is the big comeback - why have almost all of the faces lose? Shouldn't this be the nail in the coffin of that storyline and the good guys should win?

Also, Icarus is just not good. We cheered him because, duh, he's the good guy and this is the big moment. But he is just the drizzling shits in the ring. That match was not very good. The Colony trios match was amazing and could have topped off as the main event. Huge bummer going from that to Icarus/Kingston.

It was also a bummer having all of the heels come out and lay everyone out at the end. Again, this is the big comeback moment - let the babyfaces shine tonight and then start having heels wreck poo poo again at the next show. It really should have ended on a high note and it didn't.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Phenix Rising posted:

This was a real fun show. Some of the booking was confusing, though. Spoilering in case anyone is waiting to watch.

This is the big comeback - why have almost all of the faces lose? Shouldn't this be the nail in the coffin of that storyline and the good guys should win?

Also, Icarus is just not good. We cheered him because, duh, he's the good guy and this is the big moment. But he is just the drizzling shits in the ring. That match was not very good. The Colony trios match was amazing and could have topped off as the main event. Huge bummer going from that to Icarus/Kingston.

It was also a bummer having all of the heels come out and lay everyone out at the end. Again, this is the big comeback moment - let the babyfaces shine tonight and then start having heels wreck poo poo again at the next show. It really should have ended on a high note and it didn't.

NPWD was the big comeback moment. This show helped set everything up for the rest of the year. You had to give the heel group momentum going forward. Just like when the BDK started and they were winning every match for a while.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

DM Punk posted:

NPWD was the big comeback moment. This show helped set everything up for the rest of the year. You had to give the heel group momentum going forward. Just like when the BDK started and they were winning every match for a while.

I get that, but I don't know. It just felt like TOO much of the heels coming out on top. Felt really lopsided and lots of the match endings just felt off.

Still, a really fun show and I was able to bring three friends who are just casual wrestling fans. This was their first live Chikara experience and they had a fun time as well. I never have as much fun at wrestling as I do at a Chikara show.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

DM Punk posted:

I like Easton. Its a nice venue. Loads of parking, air conditioning works, good cell phone reception. It's pretty much their homebase now, and I bet the rent isn't too bad.

Isn't the Arena pretty much gone now?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BigRed0427 posted:

Isn't the Arena pretty much gone now?

Nope, it's freshly renovated and CHIKARA just moved its training school back there:

http://www.2300arena.com/

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The Kings of Wrestling and BDK were all still worth watching because they're all amazing wrestlers. Even Pinkie Sanchez and Lince Dorado found their place at the time. The new super heel factions aren't very fun to watch, the whole roster pool and talent in CHIKARA is just the drizzling poo poos

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
The roster isn't full of Claudio's and Chris Hero's anymore, but I think the characters and storylines make up for the lack of 5 star type matches. Its still a fun show to be at.

I am a little worried about KOT though. I really hope its not just filled with a bunch of Wrestling Is people like NPWD was. They better bring in some names like they used to do.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

During the pre-show, Sidney Bakabella was selling 8x10s of himself standing next to a young Vince McMahon from the early 80's. I congratulated Max Smashmaster on his weight loss and Bakabella said that he's been using the Blow Away Diet.

They did a Q&A with some wrestlers. I didn't pay attention because I was on line for something, but I did see this one fan who I recognize as being at all the Chikara/WiF shows and always trying way, way, way, waaaay too hard to get himself over asking a question and then dropping the mic. They weren't very happy with that.

The pre-show match was the Baltic Siege vs. the Bloc Party. Brown Morning of Belarus was replaced with some new guy who had some kind of knockoff X-Pac gimmick. His mask had the tongue sticking out and he was wearing the green and black. Fun match that included Thunderfrog pinning down the Boar in the corner with his giant hammer, then using it for a Van Terminator. Thunderfrog regularly got chants of, "THUN-DAH! aaaah aaah aaah aaah aaah aaaaaah!" Siege won.

I didn't think the Icarus match was that bad outside of him loving up the Bluray at the end. I thought it was an okay match with a feelgood ending up until Bane (who is most likely the "Titan of Titor" who was listed in Archibald Peck's time traveling notes) showed up and murdered Kobald.

That part during Quack's promo where he singled out that one girl in the crowd and she was overwhelmed was cute as heck.

I was questioning putting Ashley Remington up against Chuck Taylor in his debut considering how over Chuck is, but the dude's natural charisma saved him and the match was a great time. He and Qefka are great additions to the roster.

Had a really fun show and I'm definitely getting KOT tickets.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Sounds good. I heard this was an iPPV, are they doing replays yet?

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
That fan who dropped the mic was Kyle. He has "mental problems".

Also, I thought changing Dalton Castle's name & theme was dumb idea, but his theme song and the way the crowd reacted totally sold me on the new gimmick. It's fantastic and the dude is good in the ring, so I am looking forward to more of his work in CHIKARA. I feel like he could be part of KOT with Jervis and Marion Fountaine.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I feel that from now on Ares should be known as "Somebody's Dad".

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

Nope, it's freshly renovated and CHIKARA just moved its training school back there:

http://www.2300arena.com/

The building looks pretty barren and empty still from the few pictures on that site. And I know its DJ Hyde, but didn't he go on record recently that the place is still crappy and barely repaired?

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
BTW:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I was in the second row of the opposite side of the ring and was real close to Kingston when the roll of toilet paper hit him in the face. When he picked up the chair I seriously thought for a second that he was gonna throw it into the audience before my common sense kicked in.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Goggles posted:

In other tangentially-Chikara-related news, Ultramantis Black has been playing off-and-on shows in an eponymous militant vegan hardcore band around the Philadelphia area. Preorders for their first EP on Relapse Records are up now.

The cover's pretty amazing.

Featuring members of Pissed Jeans, the band that literally has a song about ice cream. This rules.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

BigRed0427 posted:

Sounds good. I heard this was an iPPV, are they doing replays yet?

From what I understand, yes they are.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Icarus doesn't tend to wrestle 5-star matches, but he also never really has truly "why is he here?" matches. I've never seen him in something less than a 2-star match, and he's pretty entertaining in general. Basically, he's good, and probably never going to be the next big name in indy wrestling unless he turns a major corner. Plus, this is probably a huge transition for him, since his entire gimmick before was sleazy, dirty rudo. His matches are probably going to suffer a bit just because he's trying to make sure he doesn't instinctively poke eyes or something.

For the show as a whole, though, it was entertaining as hell. While I was worried about them going full rudos win every match, the only legitimate-looking win from the rudos was in the opener. Otherwise, it was a DQ loss for KizBohdi and crew and some massive cheating for the Xtreme Force. So far, it's in an okay direction, and Quack is usually pretty good at not pushing it too hard. Usually.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

thelazyblank posted:

For the show as a whole, though, it was entertaining as hell. While I was worried about them going full rudos win every match, the only legitimate-looking win from the rudos was in the opener. Otherwise, it was a DQ loss for KizBohdi and crew and some massive cheating for the Xtreme Force. So far, it's in an okay direction, and Quack is usually pretty good at not pushing it too hard. Usually.

Even still, Colony beat the crap out of XTREME Force after the match and got back what was theirs. Plus Throwbacks beat Gekido in what was essentially a handicap match by that point.

They're really pushing the Throwbacks in that respect. For Tag World, the first two rounds had them win despite being crushed by the Flood. Then they beat the Devastation Corporation in the finals, which is kind of a big deal. Then they're put in the four corners match after wrestling two matches the night before and still win.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

DM Punk posted:

Also, I thought changing Dalton Castle's name & theme was dumb idea, but his theme song and the way the crowd reacted totally sold me on the new gimmick. It's fantastic and the dude is good in the ring, so I am looking forward to more of his work in CHIKARA. I feel like he could be part of KOT with Jervis and Marion Fountaine.

I totally agree. There's something to be said about being so completely earnest and throwing yourself into a gimmick that between the impressive wrestling & owning his character I was singing and swaying at the end with the rest of the crowd. Also, giving your defeated opponent a concillitory fruit basket after the match? Genius! (Especially because with just the teensiest tweak in how it's done, it can used be used as a bad guy move later).

Having never been to a fan conclave, the "expansion pack" was awesome and well worth the extra ten bucks, especially becausee it was great to pal around with other fans and the wrestlers in ways that felt more relaxed while the wrestlers still stayed in character. Like Syndey Bakabella walking around in his Star Spangled Zubaz, or Mr. Touchdown and Dasher Hatfield taking free photo booth photos with fans (and in a cool touch, Mr. Touchdown staying a good guy while intergrating past parts of his character. After the pics, I shook hands and said thanks, thanking TD for the pics "even though I'm a huge nerd!" and Dasher chimes inwith a "Oh, we all are son. Even Touchdown." and Touchdown chimes in with "Yeah, I guess..." and his eyes light up, "Like have you seen those guys talk about sports stats! I LOVE sports stats!"). I dunno, YMMV, but I love little touches like that.

Also, do those fan things normally have a little preshow match, because the Batic Seige vs. The Bloc Party was hilarious.

Gavok posted:

Even still, Colony beat the crap out of XTREME Force after the match and got back what was theirs.

More on the little touches: Worker Ant (nee Assailant) made sure to show that he would not put on the KoT medal because he wasn't a part of the team that earned it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

King of Trios tickets are on sale for 9/19-9/21. Front row tickets are crazy expensive, but I bought them for Night 3 because I'm on a tax refund high.

Here's the hype video.

In other news, Obariyon and Kodama released a Facebook statement that they won't be competing at the King of Trios tournament because Kobald is "gone". Now they want vengeance against those responsible.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
So I live in a world where a promotion decided it was a good idea to make Icarus it's world champion. I actually like Icarus and I still find it absolutely hilarious. He was the best heel, you couldn't get 20 yards of him without wanting to savagely beat him for various reasons.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Beautiful Ninja posted:

So I live in a world where a promotion decided it was a good idea to make Icarus it's world champion. I actually like Icarus and I still find it absolutely hilarious. He was the best heel, you couldn't get 20 yards of him without wanting to savagely beat him for various reasons.

To the whole Ashes angle's credit, they were able to do a title match where 95% of the audience was behind Icarus.

It's been confirmed that Icarus suffered a concussion during the match (it's a Kingston match, after all), which explains the awkward ending and how he was kind of out of it after winning the belt.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Gavok posted:

King of Trios tickets are on sale for 9/19-9/21. Front row tickets are crazy expensive, but I bought them for Night 3 because I'm on a tax refund high.

The vibe I got from the show last night was that they seemed a lot more commercially minded. I know the advertisements served a practical purpose - so all the wrestlers could head to the back, the referees changed over etc. Yet form the opinion whether they are keeping the oft mentioned CHIKARA accountant happy or Quack is squeezing dem marks dry, brother.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

I enjoyed the "Burger Kingston" chants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

rovert posted:

Yet form the opinion whether they are keeping the oft mentioned CHIKARA accountant happy or Quack is squeezing dem marks dry, brother.

Why not both?

That being said, part of the problem with the indies is the lack of funds. If this is the sign that there's going to be a premium cost for premium stuff (front row, planned meets, etc), I certainly hope it's going into CHIKARA becoming bigger, better, long-lasting, etc. Given how loyal people seem to be to the product, I certainly would hope this isn't just squeezing marks to light Quack's cigars with 20 dollar bills or whatever.

• Locked thread