Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Captain Internet posted:

I miss Larry Sweeney, shame about what happened to him. His Young Lions Cup interview captivated the whole backstage when they were shooting it preshow. What a charismatic dude.

However one story involving him and the Iron Sheik still gets used as a common phrase with my friends: "Larry Sveedish, give Sheiky a beer."

Larry Sweeney was the best manager of his generation and could have been amazing in NXT/WWE & was one of the nicest dudes I met. Him returning as Vokoder was one of my favorite surprises in Chikara history. The crowd just lost their collective poo poo. Miss him too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Larry Sweeney was the best manager of his generation and could have been amazing in NXT/WWE & was one of the nicest dudes I met. Him returning as Vokoder was one of my favorite surprises in Chikara history. The crowd just lost their collective poo poo. Miss him too.

He was pretty close friends with an old highschool bud of mine and Chikara alum The Sharecropper. I am guessing they were close because Larry liked to kayfabe a lot, even away from the ring so I guess it was tough to get a bead on him.

He was always really cool to everyone, even me who was just a long for a road trip to the other side of the state in college with no real interest in wrestling.

Lastly, gently caress Icarus and Blue Dragon.

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Say, do you take your mask off when you go to the bathroom?
Made a compilation video today of all the Hardcore Championship defenses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo80cGTXS5s

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

They've added a few more matches to the various Michigan shows for the end of the month. The most interesting of which is Eddie Kingston vs. Jimmy Jacobs at the second Chicago show. There's a real wild card aspect to that that I like, since Kingston's a heel, but not a Flood member. He likes having work and getting to compete in Chikara, but not enough to fight for it.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

I love Mister Touchdown :allears:

Any chance of him going on to bigger and better, or is he too short? He's already conditioned to hell and back unlike most indy guys I've seen.

Also he looks like a goober in his twitter pic:

Lookit those eyebrows!

eta: is it normal to refer to trios explicitly as "the rudo team" and "the tecnico team"? It just hits me as really weird when everything else is pretty kayfabe even if it is tongue in cheek.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

fuzzy_logic posted:

I love Mister Touchdown :allears:

Any chance of him going on to bigger and better, or is he too short? He's already conditioned to hell and back unlike most indy guys I've seen.

Also he looks like a goober in his twitter pic:

Lookit those eyebrows!

I'd say he's around 5'6", so that's probably a little too small. Agreed that he is fantastic, though

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

fuzzy_logic posted:

eta: is it normal to refer to trios explicitly as "the rudo team" and "the tecnico team"? It just hits me as really weird when everything else is pretty kayfabe even if it is tongue in cheek.

Yeah, and you see that in real lucha as well. Unlike face and heel rudo and tecnico are openly used official designations. Just take a look at AAA's offcial roster.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I remember PWI always saying "fan favorite" amd "rule breaker" when talking about heel and faces. Technico and Rude reminds me of those days.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

LobsterMobster posted:

I'd say he's around 5'6", so that's probably a little too small. Agreed that he is fantastic, though

Wanna see him feud with el Torito.

also this:

Happyman posted:

is amazing and I'm going to pretend this all happened on the same day.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

DM Punk posted:

Flex Rumble Crunch was out when the Titan dude came out.

No idea who he is.

Is that Pinkie? And is Delirious a good guy or bad guy now?

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Capsaicin posted:

Pinkie was carpenter Ant. He's long gone. That's Soldier Ant was has been MIA for a while even before CHIKARA ended.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

Delirious is still a bad guy.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Gavok posted:

They've added a few more matches to the various Michigan shows for the end of the month. The most interesting of which is Eddie Kingston vs. Jimmy Jacobs at the second Chicago show. There's a real wild card aspect to that that I like, since Kingston's a heel, but not a Flood member. He likes having work and getting to compete in Chikara, but not enough to fight for it.

I'm glad I'll get to see Sexy Chuckie T and buy a Sexy Chuckie T.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

DM Punk posted:

I remember PWI always saying "fan favorite" amd "rule breaker" when talking about heel and faces. Technico and Rude reminds me of those days.

And then The Miz turned face and PWI exploded because their style guide had no option for 'neither'.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

fuzzy_logic posted:

One of the reasons you don't see him elsewhere is that apparently really hard to deal with and tends to end up no showing shows.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Happyman posted:

Wow, Estonian Thunder Frog really did try and buy Jesus.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Happyman posted:

- Colt Cabana losing due to grammar
- Ricochet losing via motorboat
- Chuck Taylor shenanigans
- Superkicks

This video had everything I could've hoped for.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I noticed while watching that vid that the thread title has an error and it should be "I new hardcore champ I buys Jesus"

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Every time I'm feeling down Thunderfrog taking the belt from Max Smashmaster picks me right back up.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Chuck Taylor, Bryce Remsburg, and El Hijo Del Ice Cream teach wrestling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtm-ukXu_Gw

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Suben posted:

Every time I'm feeling down Thunderfrog taking the belt from Max Smashmaster picks me right back up.

I talked to him about that at National Pro Wrestling Day. He got embarrassed and blamed it on Chuck Taylor teaching him English from Gentlemen's Club.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I don't know if it's been mentioned but Green Ant's been renamed Silver Ant.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
The ants are literally the power rangers. Ay-yi-yi.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I love Shane Matthews clutching the belt talking to himself, and being shocked at "Oh! A woman!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Chikara video game Kickstarter? More like Chikara video game wetfarter.

They haven't made even half their goal and the cutoff is tomorrow morning. drat.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
If the project hadn't already been promised years ago, and the company hadn't been in the dark for a year, ... and the game was a bit more interesting than a typical side scroller with CHIKARA characters, it might have done better (I think half of the "resurrected rudos" have actually come back to the promotion by now anyway.)

Don't get me wrong, would have loved to see it happen, but $50,000 is kind of a lot to ask for this kind of thing regardless. If it was ten or twenty thousand, it probably would have made it.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

That and because of the Titor/WMD Corp. stuff it originally came off as/was fake. I wonder how many people were cautious about donating because of that?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
There were some other things that just made it look "forgettably generic" as hell

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

LvK posted:

There were some other things that just made it look "forgettably generic" as hell

You can unlock extra characters! Now, rather than just playing as fire ant, you get to play as soldier ant!

I both understand that paying a team for months of work, $50,000 is basically nothing.

But they showed a dodgy looking 90's brawler, with no sense of 'fun' or uniqueness. If the player fighters did fast, fun lucha you could have possibly appealed, but it was too early a build to make anyone think it was going to be good.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
"Special attacks - Each character will have a unique special attack. Special moves will not be based in reality and will be some crazy, ridiculous move that will just be pure fun to perform. It will deliver great damage and will only be available a few times per level, so use it wisely."

This made me cringe. It sounds like some dude who thinks saying "awesome" is an acceptable substitute for being creative or charming, but maybe I'm just biased. Exaggerating Chikara's already-loony Lucha antics sounds like it'd be fun for aesthetics and gameplay, but also probably requires more thinking than "animate huracanrana" and "the gameplay mechanic is that it's fun"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Speaking of Chikara stuff that nobody wants to pay for, Smart Mark just released a limited (30 copies) giant 33-disc set of all the Wrestling Is shows not counting Wrestling is Fun for $149. Goddamn.

Recently they identified the leader of the Flood as Deucalion, named after the son of Prometheus who survived Zeus' flood in mythology. Coincidentally, that old No Private Army blog that tied into the whole "Condor Security = war crimes" thing referred to a major player in Condor and cold-blooded mass murderer known only as "Duke" so I guess they're supposed to be one and the same.

For those who missed it in the pictures thread, Chikara teamed up with Bleeding Cool and Project: Rooftop (a site based on artists trying to redesign superhero costumes, usually to make Power Girl look less like blatant wank material) to do a contest about redesigning Chikara wrestlers' outfits. Namely Shard, Equinox, Hallowicked and Icarus. All the good ones were done by one dude, other than a cool S-faced design for Shard and Icarus rocking a kickass vest.

Three shows are coming up this weekend. Here are the cards:

Quantum of Solace
6/21 (early)

- UltraMantis Black/Hallowicked/Frightmare vs. Max Smashmaster/Blaster McMassive/Oleg the Usurper
- Worker Ant vs. deviANT
- Latvian Proud Oak/Lithuanian Snow Troll vs. Mr. Azerabijan/Prakash Sabar
- Arik Cannon/Darin Corbin vs. Jigsaw/The Shard
- Estonian ThunderFrog vs. Proletariat Boar of Moldova
- Ophidian vs. Jaka
- Dasher Hatfield/Mr. Touchdown vs. Evan Gelistico/Gary the Barn Owl

Diamonds are Forever
6/21 (late)

- Archibald Peck & Shane Matthews & Scott Parker [3peck0] vs. Die Bruderschaft des Kreuzes
- Obariyon & Kodama [The Batiri] vs. Oliver Grimsly & Qefka the Quiet [The Odditorium]
- Eddie Kingston vs. Jimmy Jacobs
- Fire Ant/Silver Ant [The Colony] vs. Orbit Adventure Ant/Missile Assault Ant [The Colony: Xtreme Force]
- Jervis Cottonbelly/Marion Fontaine [Old Fashioned] vs. El Hijo del Ice Cream/Ice Cream, Jr. [Los Ice Creams]
- Billy Roc vs. Juan Francisco de Coronado

Goldfinger
6/22

- The Colony & The Batiri vs. The Flood
- Scott Parker & Shane Matthews [3.0] vs. Max Smashmaster & Blaster McMassive [The Devastation Corporation]
- Jervis Cottonbelly vs. “The Kentucky Gentleman” Chuck Taylor
- Shynron vs. Eddie Kingston
- Estonian ThunderFrog vs. Jaka
- The Spectral Envoy vs. GEKIDO
- Dasher Hatfield & “Mr. Touchdown” Mark Angelosetti [The Throwbacks] vs. Nøkken/Tursas [BDK] vs. Arik Cannon & Darin Corbin [AC/DC] vs. Oliver Grimsly/Qefka the Quiet [The Odditorium]

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Gavok posted:

Goldfinger
6/22

- The Colony & The Batiri vs. The Flood
- Scott Parker & Shane Matthews [3.0] vs. Max Smashmaster & Blaster McMassive [The Devastation Corporation]
- Jervis Cottonbelly vs. “The Kentucky Gentleman” Chuck Taylor
- Shynron vs. Eddie Kingston
- Estonian ThunderFrog vs. Jaka
- The Spectral Envoy vs. GEKIDO
- Dasher Hatfield & “Mr. Touchdown” Mark Angelosetti [The Throwbacks] vs. Nøkken/Tursas [BDK] vs. Arik Cannon & Darin Corbin [AC/DC] vs. Oliver Grimsly/Qefka the Quiet [The Odditorium]

I'm hoping to get Eddie Kingston to get really huffy and pissy and yell at me in the crowd.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bard Maddox posted:

I'm hoping to get Eddie Kingston to get really huffy and pissy and yell at me in the crowd.

Methods to accomplish this:

-Bring up his drinking problem and/or his wife leaving him (low blows to be sure but Kingston's a dick so I figure you won't care)
-Ask him when the Wild Cards are getting back together
-Say something about Green Lantern Fan
-Call him fat
-Say something mean about Larry Sweeney (I personally wouldn't go there because I liked Larry, but it seems like a last ditch effort that is sure to work).

Just don't forget that he tried to assault a fan who heckled him at National Pro Wrestling Day or Wrestlecon (can't remember which).

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
He hates Chris Hero personally. Eddie BURIED him in his last shoot interview.

rovert fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 19, 2014

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

rovert posted:

He hates Chris Hero personally. Eddie BURIED him his last shoot interview.

I always assumed their problem was somewhat of a work. Care to elaborate?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I always assumed their problem was somewhat of a work. Care to elaborate?

I haven't seen the most recent Kingston shoot but his other ones have his beef with Hero going back to how Hero treated Blackjack Marciano. Kingston believed that Hero's using Blackjack as an errand boy/driver exploited him and killed Blackjack's love of the business leading to his departure.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Just don't forget that he tried to assault a fan who heckled him at National Pro Wrestling Day or Wrestlecon (can't remember which).

Wrestlecon was something where the person writing the results online claimed Kingston assaulted a fan when in reality he just threw a chair to the ground and leaned over the rail while heeling it up.

NPWD is when he got in a (losing) brawl with a 6-year-old.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The fight with a child was a magical thing to be present for :allears:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

Wrestlecon was something where the person writing the results online claimed Kingston assaulted a fan when in reality he just threw a chair to the ground and leaned over the rail while heeling it up.

NPWD is when he got in a (losing) brawl with a 6-year-old.

Ah okay. Still, he'd probably punch Bard in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Don't be mean to Eddie Kingston. Being Eddie Kingston is punishment enough.

• Locked thread