Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
Eddie Kingston is on the Chris Gethard Show right now, looking incredibly uncomfortable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is Ultramantis Black's new album something to discuss here, or is it an elsewhere thing? I got blindsided by it today and dropped money for the vinyl and a bandcamp download because gently caress yeah Ultramantis Black but have yet to get a good listen to it all. What I have heard is pretty hardcore-y, and I laughed at loud reading a review that complained about it sounding like he recorded the vocals with the mask on.

We all know he recorded them with the mask on, because of course he would.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

They're doing this big charity eBay thing for Larry Sweeney and suicide prevention. Right now the highest bid item is Tursas' King of Trios medallion, which would be a pretty awesome thing to have. Unfortunately, someone else's max bid is higher than what I'm willing to pay for it.

Edit: Final bid was $435. :drat:

Gavok fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 11, 2014

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

DM Punk posted:

Best thing about WiF! tonight was the debut of the "Mathmagician", an evil masked math teacher gimmick. He had numbers written all over his tights and mask. It was pretty amazing.

Unless he feuds with King Azaz the Unabridged he'll never get over.

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

Shakenbaker posted:

Is Ultramantis Black's new album something to discuss here[...]?

Hope so. http://www.spin.com/articles/ultramantis-black-pissed-jeans-biomonster-DNA-video/

I know powerviolence is the very definition of "not for everyone" but I think this is very drat good and dope.

Incidentally, I've never seen a full-length Ultramantis Black match.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Any other goons going to the show in Quebec City next month?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Del Raminos posted:

Hope so. http://www.spin.com/articles/ultramantis-black-pissed-jeans-biomonster-DNA-video/

I know powerviolence is the very definition of "not for everyone" but I think this is very drat good and dope.

Incidentally, I've never seen a full-length Ultramantis Black match.

Watch a full-length Ultramantis Black match. I'm not gonna say he's the best wrestler in the world, but he's entertaining as all hell. My favorite moment was when he was using his deviousness to move corners in a tag match he was in. He could've actually been knocked silly and forgot which corner was his, but I like my version better. :downs:

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Chikara's Northeast tour is this weekend.

"The Living Daylights"
Stage 48, Manhattan, NY - July 19, 2014 - Doors open at 6pm, Belltime 7pm

* The Osirian Portal vs The Pieces of Hate (Non-title)
* "Smooth Sailin' Ashley Remington vs Chuck Taylor
* The Spectral Envoy vs Sidney Bakabella's Wrecking Crew (4-on-4)
* Eddie Kingston vs Juan Francisco de Coronado
* Four Corner Elimination - The Batiri vs Haack 'n Slaash vs 2 teams TBA
* Silver Ant vs Missile Assault Ant

"The World Is Not Enough"
Wonderland Ballroom, Revere, MA - July 20, 2014 - Doors open at 2:30pm, Belltime 3pm

* Icarus, Hallowicked, UltraMantis Black & The Osirian Portal vs Sinn Bodhi, Dr. Cube, Max Smashmaster, Blaster McMassive, Flex Rumblecrunch
* Best-of-3 Falls Campeonatos de Parejas Match - The Pieces of Hate defend vs The Throwbacks
* Worker Ant vs Arctic Rescue Ant
* 3.0 vs The Odditorium
* Archibald Peck vs "Smooth Sailin'" Ashley Remington
* The Baltic Seige vs The Bloc Party (stipulation to be revealed)
* Shynron vs Missile Assault Ant

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Kaiju Big Battel has upcoming shows as well:

Shpadonkel Mania XX part 1: The Return in Boston in September

Shpadonkel Mania XX part 2: The Resolution in NY NY on October 11
tickets

Tripledown Actionomics Tour has also been announce for Florida in "coming soon", sometime in October according to facebook

and new merch is coming via kickstarter.

The Kaiju Grand Championship belt is currently vacated and reports on kaiju.com are that Dr Cube has been acting suspiciously .... sane.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Did they release the Chicago and Detroit shows yet?

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Smart Mark Video seems to be lagging lately with their releases.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Perry Normal posted:

Any other goons going to the show in Quebec City next month?

I am strongly considering it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

DM Punk posted:

Smart Mark Video seems to be lagging lately with their releases.
CHIKARA used to be one of the 3 hottest indies in the US, I remember when they were doing a 2-day turn-around for DVDs sometimes. Now I don't even know if CHIKARA is out-selling AIW by that much, so why bother rushing out DVDs?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

thelazyblank posted:

Watch a full-length Ultramantis Black match. I'm not gonna say he's the best wrestler in the world, but he's entertaining as all hell. My favorite moment was when he was using his deviousness to move corners in a tag match he was in. He could've actually been knocked silly and forgot which corner was his, but I like my version better. :downs:

I think it was UMB (and Bryce Remsburg) who turned a tired wrestling trope into pure gold.

UMB pins someone, only gets a close two count. Turns to ref Bryce and says "That was three!"

Bryce: "It was? Are you sure!?"

UMB: "Yes!"

Bryce: "....Okay then, ring the bell!"

UMB wins.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd say UMB is one of the better Quack students in that his offence is good and sometimes flashy but not too indy-riffic, and he has a solid grasp of psychology compared to most of the others.

He also does a great Double Underhook Piledriver.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Capsaicin posted:

I think it was UMB (and Bryce Remsburg) who turned a tired wrestling trope into pure gold.

UMB pins someone, only gets a close two count. Turns to ref Bryce and says "That was three!"

Bryce: "It was? Are you sure!?"

UMB: "Yes!"

Bryce: "....Okay then, ring the bell!"

UMB wins.

Not UltraMantis but Darkness Crabtree over CP Munk.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd say UMB is one of the better Quack students in that his offence is good and sometimes flashy but not too indy-riffic, and he has a solid grasp of psychology compared to most of the others.

He also does a great Double Underhook Piledriver.
I've only seen one of his Death Matches, but he would have been an amazing Deathmatch wrestler. I know he liked to do it, but was pretty loyal to Quackenbush and CHIKARA so didn't venture too much into it. His screaming and his ability to gain the ire or sympathy is great.

He had a great interview with Veda Scott:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkOgZaitp_M

And his DVD is really good too:
http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/ultramantis-dvd-strangeways-here-we-come-the-ultramantis-black-adventure.html

He's good at brawls.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

The Midwest shows are now available for MP4 download at Smart Mark Video or streaming at SMVOD.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Here are some results from the NYC show.

1) Four Corners Bout of Batiri vs. Colony (Worker/Fire) vs. Bloc Party (Mr. Azerbaijan/Boar of Moldova) vs. Haack and Slaash. Haack and Slaash are pretty terrible and it didn't help when Worker was fighting them. Batiri took out Haack and Slaash and it became strictly Colony vs. Bloc Party while Batiri never got tagged in. Colony eliminated Bloc Party and we got face vs. face. One of the Batiri guys rolled up Fire Ant for a pin. From my vantage point, I thought he was grabbing the tights, but Fire never treated it as such. Instead, he looked all disappointed and the two teams shook hands. Batiri with one point.

3.0 came out to host a thumb wrestling tournament. One of my friends made it to the finals, but lost. Still, she got a free t-shirt out of the deal.

2) Eddie Kingston vs. Juan Francisco de Coronado. Eddie came out in jorts and a New 52 Joker t-shirt, playing it off like he didn't give the slightest poo poo. He was going to get himself counted out, but decided against it. A plague doctor from the Flood stood on the outside. It was played up that Kingston could have destroyed Coronado easily, but chose not to either due to lack of interest or orders from the Flood to throw the fight. Coronado German suplexed him and put him in his finisher. Kingston tapped, less out of pain and more out of, "Yeah, sure, whatever."

3) Silver Ant vs. Missile Assault Ant. Pretty solid match. It got kind of weird at the end as they were doing some railing spots and Fire Ant came out to whisper something into Silver's ear. I think something went wrong, possibly with Missile Assault Ant getting knocked silly. While there was some good mat work in there, the ending was really awkward where it seemed like they simply didn't know how to end it. Silver put him in a sleeper and it got reversed Bret-over-Austin style.

4) Throwbacks/Baltic Siege/Jervis Cottonbelly vs. Odditorium/Tursas/Nokken. Crazy awesome match that ended with Sinn Bodhi rolling up one of the faces and grabbing the tights in the midst of a huge spot clusterfuck. Afterwards, everyone started brawling and in the ring we got Nokken and Tursas vs. Jervis. Nokken chokeslammed him and Tursas splashed him off the top rope, which was sold as career-threatening. They tried the same thing on Proud Oak, but Touchdown pulled him out of the ring at the last second and Tursas missed. Thunderfrog went off the top rope with his hammer and smashed Tursas in the chest with it. They sold it as if Thunderfrog murdered Tursas. He threatened Nokken with his hammer, but then backed off.

I guess we're actually getting casualties on this war.

5) Pieces of Hate vs. Osirian Portal. Solid bout that ended with a laying Shard sneaking a kick into Ophidian's crotch and then pinning him.

6) Ashley Remington vs. Chuck Taylor. More or less the same match from You Only Live Twice but with one difference. Before the match, they introduced a game where they'd pick a wrestling move name out of a hat and if that move happens during the match, everyone wins a prize. The move in question? German suplex. So you had people losing their poo poo any time a German suplex was hinted at. It was pretty fun. Remington won with a German suplex. Once again, he handed him a fruit basket, which Chuck begrudgingly accepted. We all got stickers.

7) Spectral Envoy vs. Wrecking Crew (Devastation Corporation and Jaka). Not main even caliber, but still strong. Though I'm really questioning what Blind Rage brings to the table. I've never seen anything remotely unique and interesting from him in his matches. He's just kind of there and it's treated as a big deal. Frightmare put Blaster in the Chikara Special, but Oleg the Usurper snuck into the ring and delivered the Off with His Head. Frightmare still kicked out. They tried using Oleg's helmet as a weapon, but Frightmare was able to use it against Blaster and again put him into the Chikara Special. Blaster tapped and Bakabella yelled at Oleg for screwing everything up.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Gavok posted:

1) Four Corners Bout of Batiri vs. Colony (Worker/Fire) vs. Bloc Party (Mr. Azerbaijan/Boar of Moldova) vs. Haack and Slaash. Haack and Slaash are pretty terrible and it didn't help when Worker was fighting them. Batiri took out Haack and Slaash and it became strictly Colony vs. Bloc Party while Batiri never got tagged in. Colony eliminated Bloc Party and we got face vs. face. One of the Batiri guys rolled up Fire Ant for a pin. From my vantage point, I thought he was grabbing the tights, but Fire never treated it as such. Instead, he looked all disappointed and the two teams shook hands. Batiri with one point.

If the Batiri pinned Haack and Slaash and the Colony, that gives them two points, not one.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Oh wait. It was the Colony that got the pin. Batiri did most of the work.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Gavok posted:

2) Eddie Kingston vs. Juan Francisco de Coronado. Eddie came out in jorts and a New 52 Joker t-shirt, playing it off like he didn't give the slightest poo poo.

So, it was just like every other Eddie Kingston match in the last couple of years?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
New tag champs and I spotted Gavin loudspeaker chooming herb with a slimy revere promoter. Good night.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Thunderfrog is dead now. So, the list of fatalities so far this season are:

Kobald
DeviAnt
Tursas
Thunderfrog

I think CHIKARA is trying to be the new WCCW with the death toll.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Results from the Boston show via twitter:

1. 3.0 def Odditorium with the Sweet Taste of Professionalism (assisted lungblower)

2. Ashley Remington def Archibald Peck via submission.

3. The Flood (Sinn Bodhi, Dr Cube, Devastation Corporation) def. Gen-1 Originals (Icarus, Hallowicked, UltraMantis Black) & Osirian Portal when Dev. Corp took out Icarus.

4. Shynron def Missile Assault Ant with a bottom-rope 450 Splash. This was a "magic move" match, wherein the "magic move" would earn the fans a prize. The magic move was the bottom-rope 450 splash.

5. The Throwbacks def Pieces of Hate 2-1 to become the new Campeones de Parejas. PoH won the first fall with the Jig'n'Tonic, Throwbacks won the second when Dasher reversed the Jig'n'Tonic into the Yoshi Tonic, and then the Throwbacks won the third fall.

6. Jervis Cottonbelly def Eddie Kingston via DQ when Kingston didn't want to fight. The Flood's Plague Doctors were ringside, however, and attacked Jervis to draw the DQ. Jimmy Jacobs came on the intercom and talked to Kingston about getting "her" back. He did as Jacobs asked, and destroyed one of the Plague Doctors, then took his place. Kingston has joined the Flood.

7. Worker Ant def Arctic Rescue Ant with the Pumphandle GTS.

8. The Baltic Seige def The Bloc Party in a trios elimination flag match. Lithuanian Snow Troll was the first eliminated. Then the Bloc Party's Prakash Sabar (aka X-Pakistani), then Latvian Proud Oak. The Proletariat Boar of Moldova accidentally speared Mr. Azerbaijan and got rolled up by Estonian Thunderfrog. Frog tapped Mr. Azerbaijan to the Chikara Special for the win. Due to the loss, the Bloc Party had to wave the flags of Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.

Then the Flood came out and attacked Thunderfrog, leaving him easy prey for Deucalion, the Titan of Titor, who came out and choke-breaker'd him.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Then the Flood came out and attacked Thunderfrog, leaving him easy prey for Deucalion, the Titan of Titor, who came out and choke-breaker'd him.

This is absolutely hosed..

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DM Punk posted:

Thunderfrog is dead now. So, the list of fatalities so far this season are:

Kobald
DeviAnt
Tursas
Thunderfrog

I think CHIKARA is trying to be the new WCCW with the death toll.

Darkness Crabtree died too, presumably of natural causes.

17 snapped Private Eye Jr's neck at National Pro Wrestling Day if that counts.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

yea ok posted:

This is absolutely hosed..

Nooooooooooooooo

He was the only member of the Baltic Siege who spoke any English! How are they supposed to manage their bookings now?

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

Grim and Gritty

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Gavok posted:

Darkness Crabtree died too, presumably of natural causes.

17 snapped Private Eye Jr's neck at National Pro Wrestling Day if that counts.

And there's Brown Morning of Belarus too which I forgot about. So many deaths. Reminds me of the Transformers movie from the 80's where half the characters died.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DM Punk posted:

And there's Brown Morning of Belarus too which I forgot about. So many deaths. Reminds me of the Transformers movie from the 80's where half the characters died.

Spike wasn't family friendly :colbert:

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
If anyone buys the DVD I'm the guy doing the Bull Dempsey chant by myself when Kingston comes out. Chikara puts on a great show, even if the roof is three feet higher than the top turnbuckle.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Jay 2K Winger posted:

4. Shynron def Missile Assault Ant with a bottom-rope 450 Splash. This was a "magic move" match, wherein the "magic move" would earn the fans a prize. The magic move was the bottom-rope 450 splash.

I must have missed it, but what was the "magic move" again?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

KungFu Grip posted:

Three quarter nelson side suplex

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

KungFu Grip posted:

They draw a move name out of a hat, if it's done in the match everyone gets a prize.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I really like the way they booked Tursas for his short return. Back in the day, the guy came in as an unstoppable monster, became a stoppable monster and then lost a really good blowoff PPV match. He hit all his goals as a wrestler and moved on to become the world's largest male nurse (making an unmasked appearance in the beginning of 2013, showing that he left on good terms).

Then they reintroduced the BDK to shut down Wrestling is Cool. We got a guy who looks like Corporate Kane shrunk in the laundry, a Tursas knockoff and an Ares body double. And we later, when he actually showed up, we found out that Ares has gone from somewhat intimidating indy wrestler to "somebody's dad." Since that got over as well as a fart in church, they brought Tursas in as a surprise reveal at the iPPV, had his team go over and then he spent the rest of his few appearances putting over wrestlers while treating Nokken as a partner instead of a ripoff. Then he got an awesome sendoff where he was murdered by a frog thunder god that fit perfectly into the overarching storyline.

It also helped that they got him a new outfit that made him look badass while hiding his gut.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm going through the Chicago/Detroit shows. The best thing from the first show is a spot during a match between Lithuanian Snow Troll/Latvian Proud Oak vs. Mr. Azerbaijan/X-Pakistan. Snow Troll spends forever trying to go for the hot tag and finally he gets it. Proud Oak points at X-Pakistan, pulls back on the ropes and goes for a plancha. Instead, he crotches himself onto the top rope and falls out of the ring. Bryce is on commentary and he loses his poo poo so hard that he has to pretend he's crying over something else.

There's also a really awkward moment when Quack comes to the ring with his cane to cut a promo on how great the fans are. Everyone's cheering for him when he enters and he gets a couple different chants. Once everything dies down and everyone's quiet, a guy yells, "You can still beat Droz!" The crowd was not happy about that and Quack was pretty taken aback, but shrugged it off.

In other news, I've convinced Chikarason to refer to Scott Parker as "Jaggle!" when on commentary.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

In Chikara-verse news, the 2014 rookie class are making their Chikara-verse debuts in Wrestling Is Fun's Easton show tomorrow night.

Kid Cyclone vs Mr. Azerbaijan
Argus vs Prakash Sabar
Create-a-Wrestler (II) vs Proletariat Boar of Moldova
N_R_G (Hype Rockwell & "The Generator" Race Jaxon) vs Los Ice Creams
Heidi Lovelace & Equinox (III) vs Oleg the Usurper & Jaka

In addition to the rookie debuts, WIF also has new Banana Champion Juan Francisco de Coronado issuing an open challenge, and the Pieces of Hate vs KE4TPG.

Over in Chikara, Quack announced that the Grand Championship will now have a points system for title contention, exactly like the Campeonatos de Parejas tag-titles. Three points for contendership, points awarded for scoring a fall in a singles match, points lost for losing a fall. All points awarded retroactively back to May 25th, 2014, and Icarus will defend the Grand Championship at their Montreal show.

Going by the new points system rules, the only person with 3 points dating from May 25th is Juan Francisco de Coronado.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Over in Chikara, Quack announced that the Grand Championship will now have a points system for title contention, exactly like the Campeonatos de Parejas tag-titles. Three points for contendership, points awarded for scoring a fall in a singles match, points lost for losing a fall. All points awarded retroactively back to May 25th, 2014, and Icarus will defend the Grand Championship at their Montreal show.

Going by the new points system rules, the only person with 3 points dating from May 25th is Juan Francisco de Coronado.

Going with that, Ashley Remington isn't a contender because it was decided that his last win over Chuck Taylor didn't count because Chuck's foot was on the rope and Quack saw it while on commentary. This also gave us this fantastic Chuck Taylor and Ashley Remington promo. "Well, we can't have that!" is such a perfect line.

Catching up with the different shows, I recommend the DVD/bluray version of Diamonds are Forever. It features the pre-show match of Chuck Taylor and Shenron where the commentary is done by Chikarason and an 11-year-old boy who won a raffle for the opportunity. It's not something you'd want to see regularly, but as a one-off, it's so cute. Especially when the kid is trying to hide the fact that he doesn't know Shenron's name.

"Wow! Awesome flip by..."

The same show has Old Fashioned vs. Los Ice Creams, which is the most adorable match where they get two kids involved and turn it into a quasi-trios match. I couldn't stop smiling at the spots they improvised in it.

I'm finding Chikara to be in an interesting place right now. The shows seem to be consistently pretty good. Like, there aren't any big MOTYCs in there, but yet almost every match is enjoyable. The roster is mostly solid and the guys who aren't are protected well enough. Like how the lesser workers are hidden in tag matches so Tursas can take the spotlight while Nokken does a couple things. Or Missile Assault Ant is the XTREME Force member who gets the singles matches because he's easily the best worker of the trio. Hell, Deucalion is probably terrible in the ring, but I don't care because he's getting over as this Shao Kahn type who has been literally murdering wrestlers with one move.

The booking has been great since the return as well. I want to see where the points system goes, since it was usually used creatively in the tag division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Deucalion probably does suck but I really really hope that the "the winning trio faces Deucalion, by himself" theory holds water. I want peak KoF to happen.

• Locked thread