Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Beagle
Apr 27, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

I'm glad we didn't get to see the best of the rest sprint finish because who wants to see that. Great job NBC, you incompetent poppy cocks.

The coverage has been absolute dogshit, but I'm fairly certain they showed the best of the rest? Cavendish took Sagan on the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I was watching the tour tracker and the camera seemed to be positioned in front of the finish line, so you get to see riders pass and not how the sprint finished. There was no replay of it from other angles either, they went immediately to showing the winner drinking water for a good minute. Then just various filler shots.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Iron Beagle posted:

The coverage has been absolute dogshit

Well I did enjoy seeing Cav marvel (like it was the first time he'd laid eyes on one) at the Zipp 404 his mechanic was showing him in the inside the team segment.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Hopefully the Tour of California goes away soon. They should have a few 1 day races in California.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

vaginal culture posted:

Hopefully the Tour of California goes away soon. They should have a few 1 day races in California.

Was it this bad last year? I thought last year you could at least see the riders being forced to ride themselves to injury in 40 degree weather with some clarity.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Last year they conned Escondido into paying huge money for a stage and like 3 people watched it in person in 100 degree heat on mothers day, it got worse from there

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Well I did enjoy seeing Cav marvel (like it was the first time he'd laid eyes on one) at the Zipp 404 his mechanic was showing him in the inside the team segment.

Any chance you've got a link? I do love watching pro cyclists ogle gear, it makes them seem so relatable.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
:stare: 45 sec to the pack? I only saw the last 5k.

Must have been some crash.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paddyb posted:

:stare: 45 sec to the pack? I only saw the last 5k.

Must have been some crash.

Literally the wost possible place to have a big crash in the peloton.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
They'll be dancing in the streets of Australia tonight.

WHY WONT THEY SHOW THE CRASH

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
There was a big crash indeed, Rodriguez went down, he can forget about GC now.

Cadel didn't take pink but that's even better, he can let Orica do most of the work for a few more stages.

Stage 6

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Think Quintana might abandon and do the Tour Last minute?

I still think he'll take major time on the mountains but will he be able to make up the difference to Evans?

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
It's possible for Rodriguez, for Quintana he should stay at least until the TT on stage 12 and see how far behind he is at that point. Nairo can gain 2-3 min on Cadel just on the final climb to Zoncolan.
Evans had a few bad days in TDF last year, losing several minutes, he look better this year but he will loose time over Quintana at some point in the mountain even without a bad day, Cadel need to increase the gap by 1 or 2 min if not more to become the clear favourite.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm still trying to figure out just how so many riders hit the deck at that corner. Its like they were just suddenly on ice. The road didn't look much worse than the previous 100 meters and then all of a sudden they're slipping off the surface without even braking. Then the massive smash as they slowed down. If you watch the replay you can see 2 Europcar riders just drift out to the side of the road, still away from the verge and all of a sudden they're on the floor as their wheels go out from under them.

Have they been polishing these road surfaces?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
After a long dry spell without rain, major roads can become like skating rinks as the water lifts spilled lubricants and the like out of the surface. It's why driving in the Western US states in the rain leads people to crash all over the place in the first shower after a dry spell, and I presume in Italy with the Mediterranean climate it's a similar story.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Inner ring posted a bit about this on the previous stage:

Inner Ring posted:

If this was TV, we’d cut to a man wearing a lab coat now to explain it’s not the water, it’s tiny particles on the roads. Italian roads are typically very grippy in the dry but when it rains everything can change, especially in the drier parts. A emulsion of oil, dirt, diesel, oil, and rubber forms with the rain; you don’t get this in, say, Ireland, because the roads are washed almost daily by downpours.

Is anyone really discussing the "racing incident" today as Kirby and Sean were saying? They were going hard into the climb and there's 20 minutes left of racing, can't expect people to wait around. Say what you want about BMC, but they're always well positioned and out of trouble - that's race craft.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Probably gonna watch the final stage of ToC on Sunday. Should be nice since temps are supposed to drop ~20 degrees by then.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Russian Bear posted:

Inner ring posted a bit about this on the previous stage:

Is anyone really discussing the "racing incident" today as Kirby and Sean were saying? They were going hard into the climb and there's 20 minutes left of racing, can't expect people to wait around. Say what you want about BMC, but they're always well positioned and out of trouble - that's race craft.

I don't really know how I feel about BMC putting the hammer down when so many riders were on the floor. On one hand I can fully understand that they were going hard for the climb and at that point what happens behind them isn't their problem.

On the other, that's not just one rider crashing. That was a crash that took out or held up all of Evans competitors through no fault of their own (mostly). I wonder how they'll feel if something similar happens to them? What I do know is they'll get 0 help on the front of the peloton when Evans gets that jersey from any team for awhile.

I also don't agree that we should be celebrating their 'race craft' for being the one team to get a few riders through that carnage without having anyone fall off in front of them. Other teams were in similar positions and just had a rider go down in front of them. It was pure luck Evans wasn't taken down.

Iron Beagle
Apr 27, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Is anyone really discussing the "racing incident" today as Kirby and Sean were saying?

Carlton Kirby isn't commentating the Eurosport broadcast. But yeah, I haven't seen anybody discussing it on cycling news sites yet, and I don't see it as an issue. Commentators appeared to be quite shaken up by it, but I can't say it was really that horrific of a crash as everybody else is hyping it up to be. It was awful to have happen, but I've seen quite a few crashes into ditches, etc. that are much more catastrophic. A rider left in an ambulance which is always terrible to see, but he was responsive. The show must go on I guess.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Iron Beagle posted:

Carlton Kirby isn't commentating the Eurosport broadcast. But yeah, I haven't seen anybody discussing it on cycling news sites yet, and I don't see it as an issue. Commentators appeared to be quite shaken up by it, but I can't say it was really that horrific of a crash as everybody else is hyping it up to be. It was awful to have happen, but I've seen quite a few crashes into ditches, etc. that are much more catastrophic. A rider left in an ambulance which is always terrible to see, but he was responsive. The show must go on I guess.

I think the issue isnt the severity of the crash, but more that it just stopped the majority of the peloton dead. Its the kind of incident that 10km's back would have resulted in the guys who didnt get caught up in it backing up and letting everyone regroup.

Also how long did it take the Ambulance to get to the riders? I always assumed an Ambulance followed at the back of the team cars.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Can't hold up once the racing is on, thats why you ride at the front.

Iron Beagle
Apr 27, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Also how long did it take the Ambulance to get to the riders? I always assumed an Ambulance followed at the back of the team cars.

This actually seemed to be of most concern by the commentators. I only watched the last 15km or so on steephill and I'm not sure just how much time had elapsed between the crash and the ambulance showing up, but the commentators appeared to be pretty disappointed by the response time.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
Purito out :(

Also, I dont think it was so much of BMC attacking when that poo poo went down, but more of them being at the front with the crash happening pretty close to the front but behind them and they found themselves with a free 45 odd sec. I actually got the impression for the first few KM that while they didnt back off and wait, they didnt gun it either. poo poo happens, it wasnt Contador attacking Schleck type stuff.

EDIT: Re the crash, I may be (wouldnt be the first time) totaly wrong, but the Aussie comms guys pointed something out. If you look when the camera pans up and catches the BIG crash, theres a car on the left hand entry to the roundabout. Its almost like the pack came in expecting to split it both ways, when suddenly the lefties realised they couldnt, had to adjust/brake/swerve all on wet roads and down they all went. The Europecar (??) guy we first saw go down at the back... if you watch hes pedaling, then backs off, then loses the front wheel. I reckon the main crash had already started, he grabs the brakes and thats the bit we see 'live'. It was a reaction to what was already going down rather than 2 separate crashes.

Box Hill Strangler fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 15, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Iron Beagle posted:

This actually seemed to be of most concern by the commentators. I only watched the last 15km or so on steephill and I'm not sure just how much time had elapsed between the crash and the ambulance showing up, but the commentators appeared to be pretty disappointed by the response time.

They cut to the ambulance when Evans had about 7km's left to go. So it took them what, 10 minutes? He was lying alone with no team doctor for a good 5-6 too.

If I was a rider I'd be a bit worried by that.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

vaginal culture posted:

Can't hold up once the racing is on, thats why you ride at the front.

Always this

I'm not happy there was a crash, but at least now the actual racing will begin. This has been pretty boring so far.

Iron Beagle
Apr 27, 2007
“It hurts to leave the Giro, but there is no other option,” said Joaquim Rodriguez. “The crashes were bad for all of us. The road was very slippery and we were going 60K an hour. Just touching your breaks was enough to crash. But that is a risk we always take. It is part of our job to try to be in the front to fight for the victory. I really cannot blame the organization or the local roads. After the crash I got back on my bike immediately, more full of agression and determination, but after a while I clearly felt what the problem was, as I could not breath anymore.”

Maybe he can train up and get ready for the Tour? Was really looking forward to him battling in the Giro.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
If there's a bright side to any of this it's that Farrar was on the deck. Again.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Was it Svein Tuft I saw that appeared to have more road rash than jersey left?

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

Gibbo posted:

If there's a bright side to any of this it's that Farrar was on the deck. Again.
Farrar is mostly a thin blue sludge along the roads by now. After the race they scrape together all the bits and pour him into a mold.

C'mon Phinney. :sun:

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Amazing ride by Phinney but holy poo poo, this coverage. Didn't even show the bunch sprint.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

serious gaylord posted:

Was it Svein Tuft I saw that appeared to have more road rash than jersey left?

Big rash on his arm and hip. He looked uncomfortable! Waiting for some pics to come in

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Just got around to watching the last part of today's ToC stage. Fantastic. Absolutely fantastic.

Iron Beagle
Apr 27, 2007
Phinney's win was excellent. I was getting scared that NBC's gap time wasn't correct, then got really scared when Liggett started to crown him as the winner with over 1k to go still. And yeah, awful footage on the line, I thought he was celebrating prematurely but he had actually crossed the line. I'm so used to the standard static finish line camera shot used in 99% of all races so I was thrown off a bit. Then there was picture breakup at the podium when they were giving Brad the yellow jersey. Absolutely embarrassing.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
They probably could have gotten a really nice helicopter shot of Phinney and the pack behind him along that final coastline, but noooo.

Anyway, he a good kid and I'm happy for him. :911:

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Stage 7 Highlights

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I always thought Bouhanni was the french Tyler Farrar, but that was pretty wild riding there.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I thought that was quite poor race control from Giant there. Left him a gap and he gleefully took it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Anachronist posted:

Any chance you've got a link? I do love watching pro cyclists ogle gear, it makes them seem so relatable.

Unfortunately, I deleted that recording. There's a >50% chance that he was just hamming it up for the camera.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
This was posted on Steephill and it is definitely better than most of the ToC footage.

https://vimeo.com/95366710

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Hey guys, how 'bout that Wiggo? Climbing like a boss at altitude and crazy heat.

• Locked thread