Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dynamic Cloth Technology
This poll is closed.
Dynamic 18 18.56%
Cloth 58 59.79%
Technology 21 21.65%
Total: 97 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The good news is that EA got rid of the unlock code for multiplayer, right?

That's something, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I'm pretty sure they only did that as posturing when it was announced that Microsoft was the worse company and would be doing away with used games altogether with XBone. EA could then be the "good guys" by getting rid with that evil online pass system knowing full well that it would have been irrelevant anyway with the next generation. Then Microsoft changed their stance and EA was left hanging so they'll probably reintroduce it shortly.

This may or may not be completely false but it's the perception I've got going on in my head so gently caress EA is what I'm basically getting at.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Defensive D is great when you're trying to get good grades and literally murder opposing players but its poo poo for everything else.

You can put a shitload of points into a bunch of defensive poo poo but exactly zero of those stat pumps have anything to do with you actually having the puck. Once you get the puck as a Defensive D man, your player literally drools on the ice and has a stroke if any player gets within 10 feet of him- this will cause your player to give up the puck to anyone- including the referee and a player that was at your position on the ice 10 minutes ago.

Some of the biggest problems with Defensive D also have to do with the fact that all of the buttons are mislabled:

Action
Force opposing player to pass to their teammate
Button Name
Poke Check

Action
Slash
Button Name
Stick Lift

Action
Trip player
Button Name
Shot block

Action
shoot puck past teammate
Button Name
Charge Pass

Etc

Honestly the only time you're going to do well in the slot is if you hit the guy at the right time or lift the stick at the right time. If you have really high defensive awareness, if you're lucky and you don't touch any buttons, your guy will poke the puck away as its being passed to them.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 6, 2014

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

Pleads posted:

So that's a super glowing review of how realistic and lifelike their player models will be if they just took the shortcut for 2 stationary loving newscasters.

I'll watch them if they bring back a random player in each team being on hot or cold streak from the days of old. I miss having my star skater be in a slump while the replacement goalie is suddently on fire, despite not having played a game all season.

Uniballer
May 14, 2005

Some guy bought me this avatar as a reward for defeating Skizzzer in Internet Hockey. I have slain the mighty! Also, Taylor Hall is gay.

Pleads posted:

I think the only saving grace of NHL15 will be introducing RGR hockey to the PS3 crew.

If RGR hockey is beating us into submission, we have a lot of guys that will put up a fight. At least I hope we do :ohdear:

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Uniballer posted:

If RGR hockey is beating us into submission, we have a lot of guys that will put up a fight. At least I hope we do :ohdear:

The rest of RGR isn't very good at fighting.

Only hitting... And taking so many minors, the game will literally last hours.

Uniballer
May 14, 2005

Some guy bought me this avatar as a reward for defeating Skizzzer in Internet Hockey. I have slain the mighty! Also, Taylor Hall is gay.

Anders posted:

Yeah, it's the same with our group. What I was really trying to say is that there are people in the PS3 crew willing to oblige in the hitting aspect of the game, not necessarily just fighting. Goon-on-goon violence is the best kind of violence.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

Anders posted:

I'll slash you so hard you won't see me for close to an entire period...literally.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Dear EA,

If you make a game where it is not only possible but an effective strategy to set up in the attacking zone, especially on the powerplay, I will purchase your game and an Xbox One.

Sadly, I am reasonably sure that my money will remain unspent.

Sincerely,
ThinkTank

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!
Words cannot express how excited I am for some competition among the PS-side EASHL teams.

Thunderdome.

Edit: provided you guys are any good and not just a bunch of dangerous-checking thugs. You can forgive me for forming that impression based on...literally everything.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

LegioPraetoria posted:

Words cannot express how excited I am for some competition among the PS-side EASHL teams.

Thunderdome.

Edit: provided you guys are any good and not just a bunch of dangerous-checking thugs. You can forgive me for forming that impression based on...literally everything.

It's about 50/50. Or both. Or neither.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS3K0NhlrbY

:smuggo:

Our NHL15 EASHL kick-off video will beat up your NHL15 EASHL kick-off video.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
So the next gen game is cross-console? Man, that's a bummer for us ps3 poors.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Not cross-console, just that most of the RGR crew is migrating from 360 to PS4 because gently caress Microsoft.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Ah okay.

Still, bummer. I bet I'm gonna be like the only one remaining on the PS3.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Anders posted:

I am owning at fights now. I have mastered the takedown...not sure how but I do it a lot now.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Bradf0rd posted:

I am owning at fights now. I have mastered the takedown...not sure how but I do it a lot now.

You're pressing LT right after you dodge... (If by takedown you mean the headlock thing)

Pressing RT and LT right after also gets you out of the headlock.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
it'll be nice to get a gmc league going with everyone... last year everyone quit cause I destroyed everyone.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Are they gonna code the hockey stick this time? Or is it gonna stay purely cosmetic? (IE: If I skate through someone's stick, I actually knock the stick as opposed to literally skating through it.)

"Cloth technology" was extremely misleading. I thought they were gonna re-vamp the playoff rally towels.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

cname posted:

"Cloth technology" was extremely misleading. I thought they were gonna re-vamp the playoff rally towels.
You just spoiled EA's E3 reveal, great job.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Skizzzer posted:

it'll be nice to get a gmc league going with everyone... last year everyone quit cause I destroyed everyone.

With goals or with hits?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hopefully he means in drinking if he has any hopes of fitting in with you guys

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Skizzzer posted:

I think we only played once because you were out west, I want a rematch.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I hope with the mass migration to PS4 in mind EA removes the 1 game at a time rule for clubs.

Also reigning 360 champ checking in, gonna be bringing the pain come September.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Jovial Cow posted:

I think we only played once because you were out west, I want a rematch.

You mean that game where we gave up on scoring in the third and just hit each other over and over again? That was a fun game :)

Pleads posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS3K0NhlrbY

:smuggo:

Our NHL15 EASHL kick-off video will beat up your NHL15 EASHL kick-off video.

Pleads posted:

I think the only saving grace of NHL15 will be introducing RGR hockey to the PS3 crew.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/188955335

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/190057840

That's our C and A - two of our best.

Bradf0rd posted:

With goals or with hits?

With heart.

Skizzzer fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 9, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

cname posted:

Are they gonna code the hockey stick this time? Or is it gonna stay purely cosmetic? (IE: If I skate through someone's stick, I actually knock the stick as opposed to literally skating through it.)

They've stated before that they had this in previous games before release, and it proved to actually be a lot more frustrating than the occasioanal puck through a stick or whatever.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The possible saving grace of NHL 15 is that they'll have been able to rip out enough of the underlying code that was the base of this games engine for over a decade and start relatively new.

I expect the process of normalization to take about 3 weeks.

Phase one: demo is released. We all download it. Visually we'll be very happy. It'll play different and feel new and shiny, more so than usual due to the next generation bump. Without full access to sliders we will be concerned but wowed because ea will actually have fixed many issues.

Phase two: Honeymoon period (2-3 weeks). We will all be playing a lot of this game. Coming to terms with how the game controls. Slowly tinkering and chipping away to find out what really works in this game. I expect goaltending to be slightly more dynamic.

Phase three: due to playing the game extensively we will begin to recognize the inherent gamey nature as the realism artifice falls away. Exploiting AI weakness and glitchy goals will occur more frequently. Resignation by also optimism that they can patch this out.

Phase four: NHL 16 announced.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

soggybagel posted:

The possible saving grace of NHL 15 is that they'll have been able to rip out enough of the underlying code that was the base of this games engine for over a decade and start relatively new.

Which means that every useful feature that was added in the last 7 years has been removed and will be slowly added back into the game as 'new features' over the next 3 or 4 iterations.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

soggybagel posted:

I expect the process of normalization to take about 3 weeks.

Phase one: demo is released. We all download it. Visually we'll be very happy. It'll play different and feel new and shiny, more so than usual due to the next generation bump. Without full access to sliders we will be concerned but wowed because ea will actually have fixed many issues.

Phase two: Honeymoon period (2-3 weeks). We will all be playing a lot of this game. Coming to terms with how the game controls. Slowly tinkering and chipping away to find out what really works in this game. I expect goaltending to be slightly more dynamic.

Phase three: due to playing the game extensively we will begin to recognize the inherent gamey nature as the realism artifice falls away. Exploiting AI weakness and glitchy goals will occur more frequently. Resignation by also optimism that they can patch this out.

Phase four: NHL 16 announced.

The permanent OP going forward.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

soggybagel posted:

I expect goaltending to be slightly more dynamic.

The only thing goalie is missing is the ability to hold the right trigger not-all-the-way down so the goalie will put one pad to the post vs stacking to one side completely. (And obviously make it so if you squeeze the trigger all the way, the goalie will stack the post, completely.)

If they can add that, they'll never have to update the goalie again, IMO.

cname fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 15, 2014

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

cname posted:

The only thing goalie is missing is the ability to hold the right trigger not-all-the-way down so the goalie will put one pad to the post vs stacking to one side completely. (And obviously make it so if you squeeze the trigger all the way, the goalie will stack the post.)

If they can add that, they'll never have to update the goalie again, IMO.
-Not falling onto your rear end as a default save move
-Being able to skate while controlling the puck / more overall options for out-of-crease puck control
-Reducing slide power so a push doesn't take you 10 feet across the ice (basically LB(LT?) held down but all the time, the way it was in NHL14's demo before they rebroke it for release)

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Pleads posted:

-Not falling onto your rear end as a default save move
-Being able to skate while controlling the puck / more overall options for out-of-crease puck control
-Reducing slide power so a push doesn't take you 10 feet across the ice (basically LB(LT?) held down but all the time, the way it was in NHL14's demo before they rebroke it for release)

I'd add the annoying lack of stick control/activity for goalies, or is it just me? Lots of games I see the goalies use the stick all the time to help sweep the puck away, but that rarely ever happens in NHL 14 because your guy will probably just fall down or something and someone will score an easy empty net goal.

Or if someone does a slow shot/pass from the red line headed towards the net, I have to be VERY careful and try and line myself up perfectly so it doesn't go in. My goalie doesn't just sweep it away harmlessly, nope. If I'm lucky, he does his exaggerated block animation or it just goes right by him. :arghfist::(

Also, I'd like more wide angle view, a lot of times I get cross-crease passes to players I didn't even know were there, because I couldn't see them. Whereas I think real goalies could see players in the corner of their eyes at least?

Oh and lastly something VERY annoying that's meant a lot of cheesy goals against me; when I block a shot, I don't know where it went.

Now I know that happens all the time in real games, however in most of my instances the puck has been RIGHT IN FRONT of my goalie, but I (as the player) can't see it because my big fat goalie's body is in the way. So maybe a semi-transparent view for goalies? Or maybe first person mode? Something like that I don't know. :shrug: That sort of also ties with the lack of stick activity for goalies.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They should go full on stupid and make the goalie control like a game of QWOP. Left thumbstick controls left hand, right is right hand. Left trigger is left leg extension, right is right. Use the opposite bumper to dig an edge into the ice so you can push across the crease.

:black101:

Then use quicktime events on the face buttons for everything else, like hugging the post or stacking the pads or covering the puck.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I'd be happy if skater games counted for goalie games as well. Having to earn legend cards twice suuuuuuuuuuuuucks. It is especially bad because if your goalie stats aren't high enough the legend 3 skaters can score on you almost irrespective of positioning in certain cases.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

ThinkTank posted:

Which means that every useful feature that was added in the last 7 years has been removed and will be slowly added back into the game as 'new features' over the next 3 or 4 iterations.

This is going to be it exactly. Does anyone remember when the first madden for the 360 came out? It was missing like 90% of the features from Xbox/PS2 iterations which were subsequently slowly reintroduced. My gut is telling me this version is going to be a massive bug fest (if they're rebuilding the engine at all... which I highly doubt) or just an up-textured version of the old engine with more polygons in the crowd and stadium.

And the menus will somehow be even slower on the Xbone version.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Realistic stick physics: detrimental to the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHGSUKt_AkU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I, for one, am very excited to see them fail to fix the same loving cheese goal that's been there since like 2006. Three generations of consoles, still able to cut the slot and score.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

KiddieGrinder posted:

I'd add the annoying lack of stick control/activity for goalies, or is it just me? Lots of games I see the goalies use the stick all the time to help sweep the puck away, but that rarely ever happens in NHL 14 because your guy will probably just fall down or something and someone will score an easy empty net goal.

Or if someone does a slow shot/pass from the red line headed towards the net, I have to be VERY careful and try and line myself up perfectly so it doesn't go in. My goalie doesn't just sweep it away harmlessly, nope. If I'm lucky, he does his exaggerated block animation or it just goes right by him. :arghfist::(

Also, I'd like more wide angle view, a lot of times I get cross-crease passes to players I didn't even know were there, because I couldn't see them. Whereas I think real goalies could see players in the corner of their eyes at least?

Oh and lastly something VERY annoying that's meant a lot of cheesy goals against me; when I block a shot, I don't know where it went.

Now I know that happens all the time in real games, however in most of my instances the puck has been RIGHT IN FRONT of my goalie, but I (as the player) can't see it because my big fat goalie's body is in the way. So maybe a semi-transparent view for goalies? Or maybe first person mode? Something like that I don't know. :shrug: That sort of also ties with the lack of stick activity for goalies.

Change the default camera view

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Can we start a ballot stuffing movement to get Phil Kessel as the cover athlete.

http://covervote.nhl.com/#/ballot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Neodoomium posted:

I, for one, am very excited to see them fail to fix the same loving cheese goal that's been there since like 2006. Three generations of consoles, still able to cut the slot and score.

quote:

Just like the puck physics, we wanted to strip our player models down and rebuild them from the ground up. We started by properly modelling the body of the player to better replicate a high-performance athlete, and then the next layer we put the actual equipment on top of the player, and then the jersey. For the first time ever, we have dynamic cloth technology that really adds another layer of realism. Now we have the cloth draped over – taking technology from the sewing industry, believe it or not – so now you think about the puck being shot, hitting the goalie’s jersey, then the equipment underneath the jersey after the jersey moved, and then reacting appropriately.

But you see, jerseys do cool poo poo because of Dynamic Cloth Technology so it won't REALLY be the same goal everyone in the series has scored for 5 straight years....your jersey will ripple slightly when you shoot it.

• Locked thread