Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dynamic Cloth Technology
This poll is closed.
Dynamic 18 18.56%
Cloth 58 59.79%
Technology 21 21.65%
Total: 97 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Release date that's unconfirmed, yet confirmed pretty much everywhere is Sept. 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

quote:

...so now you think about the puck being shot, hitting the goalie’s jersey, then the equipment underneath the jersey after the jersey moved, and then reacting appropriately.

I think about none of that, actually. More realistically, I'll probably be thinking about why the gently caress my skater did the exact shot blocking animation that I didn't want done and why the goalie is too busy rolling around in the crease to look for a rebound.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

xzzy posted:

They should go full on stupid and make the goalie control like a game of QWOP. Left thumbstick controls left hand, right is right hand. Left trigger is left leg extension, right is right. Use the opposite bumper to dig an edge into the ice so you can push across the crease.

*Does a jumping jack or cartwheel in efforts to block the puck*

I miss Mutant League Hockey goal-tending. One of the save animation sequences was your goalie literally falling face first, flat on the ice, like a plank, with his arms at his sides. Had a one in 50 chance at working.

cname fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 16, 2014

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

KiddieGrinder posted:

I'd add the annoying lack of stick control/activity for goalies, or is it just me? Lots of games I see the goalies use the stick all the time to help sweep the puck away, but that rarely ever happens in NHL 14 because your guy will probably just fall down or something and someone will score an easy empty net goal.

You can flick up on the stick to make him do a butterfly poke. You can also poke check while anchored to the post.

What's unfortunate is that sometimes the best way to move is just to alternate which post to anchor. Doing a butterfly slide to cover cross creases kind of sucks (you hardly push) and doing the standing shuffle is just an invitation to be scored on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Subban, Bergeron, Doughty and Oshie won round 1.

It's Subban-Doughty, Bergeron-Oshie now.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Skating controls aside I probably wouldn't change that much about BAP Goaltending. On 14 at least you could save most shots and one timers by keeping your goalie centered in the crease. The only thing that would be really nice is if when you went down into a manual butterfly and held the right stick in direction your goalie would try and deflect the puck in that direction rather than it automatically pumping rebounds into the high slot like it does now. Having auto cover when the puck is sitting 3" away from your pads and you can't see it until you slide your goalie out of the net would be nice too or at least an indicator by the goalies feet that turns more and more red the closer the puck gets.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Yhea, having control over rebounds would be much more useful than the anticipation bullshit they have this game.

Goalies should also have a better shot, at least when the opposing goalie is pulled... I want to score with my goalie dammit!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think I've played as a goalie except for a short lived offline be a pro I did once. Can you fight or check the gently caress out of forwards flying in at you? Also there's situations in FIFA on PS4 where the ball goes through legs and things like that, so I wouldn't expect perfection on that front for NHL 15, even though FIFA was mostly a port.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Volkerball posted:

I don't think I've played as a goalie except for a short lived offline be a pro I did once. Can you fight or check the gently caress out of forwards flying in at you? Also there's situations in FIFA on PS4 where the ball goes through legs and things like that, so I wouldn't expect perfection on that front for NHL 15, even though FIFA was mostly a port.

No, if players come crashing in to you usually you either just slide out of the way like a statue, or there's a big collision animation and you ragdoll around.

The most fun thing to do however is intentionally skate out or do something to get in contact with a player on the other team, and if someone shoots at the empty net they get a penalty for goaltender interference. :v:

There also is some sort of weird "push" thing you can do, but it's so useless and clunky that trying to do it just leaves you vulnerable.

edit: and you can fight yes, but since there's no 'fighting' skill like there are for skaters, I don't know what dictates how well you are at it. And I think the only things that can trigger a fight is the other goalie skating out to you, or a player shooting the puck at you after the play is dead. I don't think you can trigger fights from skaters crashing in to you, which sucks.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 20, 2014

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

There is a 'push' button you can press as a goalie, ostensibly to move players out of your line of sight/crease, but it is beyond worthless since players are never close enough (0 feet away) for it to do anything.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Oh thats what pressing the R stick in is meant to be! I thought it was the goalie :respek: button for celebrating after the whistle :v:

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Zip! posted:

Having auto cover when the puck is sitting 3" away from your pads and you can't see it until you slide your goalie out of the net

The thing that pisses me off about covering the puck is the fact that it has to be that stupid fall and sprawl animation, every goddamn time.

The puck will be 1 foot away, where the goalie could just reach his hand over and cover it up. Instead, he has to flop around in order to get his entire body on top of it.

Can my goalie just move his right arm, instead of sending his entire body over there?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I literally have never had that happen when pressing the 'cover puck' button. 100% of the time he always did the hungry hungry hippo animation.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Doctor Butts posted:

There is a 'push' button you can press as a goalie, ostensibly to move players out of your line of sight/crease, but it is beyond worthless since players are never close enough (0 feet away) for it to do anything.

It doesn't actually work, is why. It's just an animation.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Pleads posted:

It doesn't actually work, is why. It's just an animation.

Even more useless then!

Does EA own exclusive rights to the NHL or something, why did 2K stop making them, or anyone else for that matter? (Sony San Diego Studio?)

edit: I guess they do, but why? Was it a case of more money than everyone else? Is it going to ever expire?

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 20, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
EA owns the rights to all major sports leagues. At this point, I'd rather play Generic Hockey 2014: Red vs Blue edition than give EA more money, year after year.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

KiddieGrinder posted:

Even more useless then!

Does EA own exclusive rights to the NHL or something, why did 2K stop making them, or anyone else for that matter? (Sony San Diego Studio?)

edit: I guess they do, but why? Was it a case of more money than everyone else? Is it going to ever expire?

The NHL is pretty lovely about it's licensing agreements, they just booted out all hockey card companies except one. So this probably won't change anytime soon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The fun part is that everyone claims they'd buy some random sport game that didn't have licensed teams if a high quality sports game came out, but it never seems to work that way. The last meaningful attempt I can think of is that All Pro Football that 2K published several years ago.

We're all consumer whores, and gladly shell out money for licensed rosters.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

cname posted:

EA owns the rights to all major sports leagues. At this point, I'd rather play Generic Hockey 2014: Red vs Blue edition than give EA more money, year after year.

That's not entirely correct. For example, Sony makes MLB the Show. EA also decided to not make a college football game anymore due to all the legal issues with likenesses, etc.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The NCAA are babies basically. Also Backbreaker was the last attempt at a generic football game that I can remember. I only played the demo, but I think there's an engine from it that newer games are incorporating or something?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Volkerball posted:

Also Backbreaker

That's a great example. If anyone thinks Backbreaker would have sold/reviewed really well if ONLY it had those vital NFL licenses, they're brain dead.

And if NHL 15 was released with no official NHL involvement, it'd probably still sell/review just as well.

I can't imagine any nerd crying about the lack of their favorite team or something. For all I care at least, it could be Your Local Ice Hockey League and if it was a good game I'd get it and enjoy it!

Has there EVER been an unlicensed ice hockey game?

edit: and online almost 80% of games the captain chooses some obscure eastern european team anyway that I've never heard of/can't read. I guess that's what I get for being in the EU, but that shows how little any official NHL involvement actually matters.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 20, 2014

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

KiddieGrinder posted:

Has there EVER been an unlicensed ice hockey game?
Ice Hockey
Mutant League Hockey

So basically the answer is "only the best ones"

e: Blades of Steel had city names that had teams but was not actually the NHL teams.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
it would be fantastic if they released a hockey game with a really great and fun engine to it and had like, customizable players + teams + jerseys that anyone could tweak and download. But i bet sports games make a ton of money each year by releasing the same game with incremental updates. I've been buying NHL since 08 myself, and it's only gotten worse each year. This year's was particularly bad IMO.

Whatever happened to the 2k4 series?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Pleads posted:

Ice Hockey
Mutant League Hockey

So basically the answer is "only the best ones"

e: Blades of Steel had city names that had teams but was not actually the NHL teams.

Several:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ice_hockey_video_games

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

cname posted:

EA doesn't own the rights to MLB.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skizzzer posted:

Whatever happened to the 2k4 series?

Nobody bought them so they stopped making them.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

cname posted:

Like Hockles said, they don't own MLB. They also don't own the exclusive rights to the NHL, it's just that 2K Sports gave up after everyone stopped buying it (see also MLB by 2K).

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

2k always had decent ideas (some of which EA are about to copy) but lovely execution. They were making progress in building a realistic engine and then EA came along with the skill stick and blew them out of the water.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

RIP e-Bubble Hockey

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

2k7 was the last good one, after that they focused primarily on the Wii and the PS3/XBox versions were afterthoughts and thus suffered greatly.

2k had the GM mode down to a loving art though, whereas EA finds amazing ways of screwing up even the simplest part of it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

2k had the GM mode down to a loving art though, whereas EA finds amazing ways of screwing up even the simplest part of it.

Yeah I burned through a century in 2K5's GM mode. It was great, some guy came within 300 or so points of bettering Gretzky.

Compared to NHL 2005, 2K5 was miles better. It was a legitimate simulation, and icon passing made setting up in the attacking zone not only fun, but a legitimate strategy. Sadly skill stick was just a great idea that completely killed the 2K series.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Every time I see that this thread has replies I think it might be more news than WE MADE THE JERSEYS MOVE...then I realize I'm a loving idiot.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

sba posted:

Every time I see that this thread has replies I think it might be more news than WE MADE THE JERSEYS MOVE...then I realize I'm a loving idiot.

Just like when I buy a new NHL game, and think they've actually improved on it... Then I realize I'm a loving idiot

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
So how dynamic is the cloth technology? Is it really as Dynamic as they claim?

Also I got NHL 14 and all I do is play NHL 94 mode and put North Stars Jerseys on Dallas and Whalers jerseys on Carolina. I'm a sad guy :negative:

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 24, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think that's what PK stands for, EA.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Typical EA quality work there.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

EA stopped caring about this game, and we're 4 months from release.

:golfclap:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but look at how realistic their jerseys are.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Dynamic Kessel Technology™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Will Edmonton fans throw jerseys now that their team isn't ridiculous in 1v1?

• Locked thread