Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

No Wave posted:

Theorycrafting conversations is the sign of an anxious and unhealthy mind. I used to do it. It's real loving bad.

Uh, no it's not? It's perfectly normal. Sorry about your anxiety issues, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

No Wave posted:

I truly believe there exists some combination of words. There must exist certain words in a certain specific order that can explain all of this, but with her I just can't ever seem to find them.

Nah see, maybe you don't see it because you've had problems with this thing in the past, but a healthy person can actually run through hypotheticals in their head without developing an obsession. Shocking and unfair, I know.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Awesome, I hoped it would be, because

is just a further example of a 'doesn't make any sense, but is still funny' joke in the television show "Louie".

How does it not make sense? Dirty words are like the first you learn about a foreign language.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Snapchat A Titty posted:

It's funny because Norton thought he was king poo poo when he could say poo poo she didn't understand, not realizing she could do the same to him. His face when he does realize it makes the joke.

I agree it's funny, but I don't think it's funny because they can't understand eachother, it's because they understand eachother perfectly. Norton goes and says something rude because he thinks it's funny that she won't understand it, but she does and tells him "that's not funny, gently caress off" basically. And he gets it! That's funny, and ties into the overall theme of communication that's sort of been going on with the last few episodes.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Breadallelogram posted:

It seems pretty obvious to me that Louie was supposed to look like a dumb rear end in a top hat in that scene. Am I wrong?

Probably not.

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

Hmm. I dont know if a lot of people have that level of self awareness. There's usually a degree of "But I'm different because {reasons}!"

I'll hold off on scribbling angry rants on tumblr, but I'm a little concerned. Its possible that Pamela could school him hardcore in the next installment. WE SHALL SEE.

We sort of got to see the same scene with {reasons} last week, though? I'm not really sure what you're concerned about though. If you're expecting Louie to get on a soapbox to lecture the audiance about how rape culture is bad, I think you're gonna end up disappointed and might as well post your angry rant now.

LividLiquid posted:

I'm scared to post about the attempted rape because a few pages of fat woman talk made a lot of people mad at me, so gently caress knows what this would do.

But that made me super uncomfortable. I'll leave it at that.

Please post, thread was dead before fat chat and it died again after fat chat ended. If the people opposed to discussing the topics the show keeps bringing up are so bothered by it, they're free to discuss other topics.

verybad fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 3, 2014

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

TheYellowFog posted:

Louie takes the exact opposite approach when he is with Lily in the final scene, probably in part because he remembers how his mom treated him and how it made him feel.

I don't think that was exactly it: Louie was just as pissed off and enraged at the start of the episode, but he figures it out at the end much the same way as his mom did, just you know, with a little less drama. Both the initial problem and the solution are present in his mom's behaviour. It's like cyclical or some poo poo, though with a hint of progress (Louie's kid doesn't steal and Louie just gets kinda mad at her for a while).

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Gianthogweed posted:

No, she was definitely a different character from the batshit crazy lady that his mom became in the present day episodes. But it's still not cool to threaten to kick out your 12 year old son because you don't like him anymore. I could see a woman who threatens that becoming batshit crazy at some point.

Yeah she's definitely sort of in the same continuity (you know except for the brother/sister thing), or at least could be. Hey, didn't the guy who played Louie's dad here also play the part of some different relative in an earlier season? I have vague memories like he was an uncle or something.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

poo poo, wasn't he also the husband of that chick who asked Louie if he'd like to see her pussy?

That's, uh, an interesting casting decision.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

False equivalence, boss. I don't need the show to condemn behavior I find abhorrent. I just don't enjoy when it acts as if those same bahviors should be rewarded.

Again, maybe there was a message that went over my head, but it really looked like trying to rape a girl means she'll finally give in after you've been persuing her for years, and you'll take a bath together and she'll validate you as a person by accepting who you are, even if she's mean.

I do not, under any circumstances, think this was the message Louie was trying to send. Not at all. But that's how it came across.

Louie isn't rewarded for terrible behaviour, though? He gets called a lovely rapist!

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

I think "right message" is a pretty lovely standard for storytelling.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

e: incidentally, I have a real life incident in my life that mirrors a bit from Louis's standup so closely that you'll think I'm plagarizing, but I swear this is true.

Doesn't everyone? Like, that's what's funny about it.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

I think that might be a part of the joke, actually.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

There's also the bit where Pamela says "dude you suck, you can't even rape well!" or something to that effect so uh

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Randandal posted:

I feel like I contributed several tangents of discussion here but the only thing that anybody responded to was the part in the spoiler tag. Why don't you guys shut the gently caress up about surprising sex and grow a sense of humor about uncomfortable things? Louis CK's entire career is built upon laughing at uncomfortable things.

I don't think the point of making comedy about uncomfortable things is to have a chuckle and then stop thinking or talking about it. Or maybe it is but then it's a lovely point.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

I think "advocates attempted rape, kinda" is a pretty lovely standard for storytelling too.

What can I say, I like stories about terrible people and their viewpoints.

(I don't actually agree with your rather cynical reading though)

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Well, you're interpretation of the events depicted boils down to this:

LividLiquid posted:

He won the object by being aggressive.

and that's just not something I saw happening. There's plenty that other posters have said about the scenes & the storyline, I'm not sure I see the value in mostly reiterating what someone else already said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Arguing that the media our world view isn't really that controversial, is it? It's a given, really. But it's also very complicated and can't be reduced to "I saw rape, therefore rape is a-OK."

• Locked thread