Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
She was upset because Louie was trying to be dishonest about her weight. She wouldn't have had a monologue if he responded with "I bet it is (difficult to date when you're fat and in NYC)."

That he responded by holding her hand says everything she said was correct.

If it wasn't, he would have responded with something like "I'm just not attracted to you." Or run away in cowering silence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

No Wave posted:

EDIT: Thinking back on it, there's a really interesting assumption that Sarah Baker makes. She basically makes the connection that because he'd probably be okay loving her in the back room, the only thing keeping him from dating her and being happy is self-consciousness and the desire to please society.
It's not about pleasing society; it's the fear of how he will look to society if he dates a fat chick. As in, the (ridiculous) self-perception that the best he can ever do is date a fat woman.

There may be legitimate reasons one would have for not accepting a fat woman, but they almost certainly don't apply to the lonely, fat guy who won't help himself be healthier. It's a lovely, stupid hypocrisy which is why he so richly deserved the monologue, realized she was right, and finally accepted her.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Tokelau All Star posted:

I really enjoyed the scene of Louie and his ex-wife standing silently in the hall. I really felt like they were two people that knew each other so well that there was an entire unsaid conversation in those brief moments.
My read was a little different.

To me, given the same events with a married couple, they would have left the room to cry/hug over the trauma. Instead, because they're divorced, they "couldn't" both comfort each other or have a conversation about it.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Amazing episode!

• Locked thread