Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jerry Seinfeld was so great as a complete rear end in a top hat who somehow still came across as being justified in how fed up he was with Louie's poo poo, even though he'd set him up to fail so spectacularly. I don't care if it was deliberate or just that Jerry is so detached from the real world now that he didn't see how terrible he was being, either way just works.

"So you slept with a rich girl you don't know and punched her in the face and now you want me to come down there and get my name in the middle of this story? You really see that happening, Louie?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

I love when Louie gets surrealistic. Everything from overt poo poo like the weird parking sign, the garbagemen, and the girl taking off in a helicopter, all the way to the really subtle ones like newsanchors having names like Fappy Howserton.

I love the episode where he sees the hobo get replaced by Men In Black with an identical hobo, though nothing quite compares to the screaming hobo whose head fell off while Louie was on the way to a date.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

I'm still a little bummed her character is gone forever.

Don't worry, Louie will wait for her!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The moment the unseen man put his hand on Jane's shoulder I was cringing, that was a great sequence.

I loved Louie's little strained face as he tried to figure out how long 7000 seconds was :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The important part of the fat speech, and the reason why he couldn't just say,"Well just lose some weight then!" was that we'd already seen Louie himself demonstrating his inability to do the same thing - he goes and has his BANG BANG meals as a celebration before finally going to the gym and getting in shape, and then when he's asked,"See you at the gym tomorrow?" replies,"Nah I can't I've got some stuff to do."

Louie's a fat guy but life is easier for him than it is for her, he doesn't face anywhere near the same level of stress or judgement or even well-intentioned but offensive kindnesses - like she tells him, as a fat girl she isn't even allowed to say she is fat or people consider her suicidal or in need of psychiatric help even though people are judging her every day of her life. His,"You're not fat" reply to her was incredibly offensive because he'd already demonstrated that he'll make a pass at absolutely anybody (his pathetic attempt to chat up Sunshine for example, or the scene where he's outside and just leering at every attractive woman who passes by) but turned her down on multiple occasions when she asked him out, even after establishing that she was a charismatic, funny person who he enjoyed being around. Him saying,"But you're not fat!" if taken at face value then indicates that there is something else about her that made him reject her advances, and they both know that isn't true. She's basically his dream woman only she isn't in the thin and fit aesthetic package that he wants, and she has every right to be pissed off at him about it.

You could have done the same story with a girl in a wheelchair and it wouldn't have had the same impact for me, because Louie needed to have a double-standard about this. Louie isn't in a wheelchair, but Louie is fat, and his rejection of a great girl because she doesn't fit an aesthetic ideal that he himself completely fails to reach is what makes the story work.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 13, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jake Armitage posted:

He went out of his way to show that there is just as much disgust for him as a fat guy as her. The guy at the Indian restaurant looking at them eat in horror, and the waitress instantly becoming disgusting when she hears about the bang bang. The difference was people didn't hide it from him, and with her, they say "oh you're not fat".

The difference is also that she was attracted to him despite his appearance and made that plain to him, while he didn't (want to) find her attractive despite being basically his perfect woman - independent, courageous, funny, outspoken, intelligent, quick-witted etc. It's what makes his,"You're not fat" line to her so offensive, it's condescending and suggests that there must be something else wrong with her because otherwise why wouldn't he be all over her and eagerly accepting her offer of a date.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't recall Pamela at any point telling Louie,"Oh you're not fat!" when he clearly is. Pamela never found Louie attractive, but Louie CLEARLY was attracted to Vanessa, he just didn't want to be because she didn't fit the physical criteria that society has told him he should be looking for.

Plus, as Vanessa noted, it's a lot harder to be a fat girl in modern society than it is to be a fat guy. Louie at least has the benefit of being a gender that has traditionally gotten all the breaks and all the advantages in society. I'm sure plenty of people judge him and dismiss him based on his physical appearance (as evidenced by the disgusted look of the manager in the Indian Restaurant, or Sunshine's reaction to his clumsy come-on) but he doesn't face anywhere near the same level of pressure and stress from having a less than "ideal" look like Vanessa does.

She notes to Louie that she flirts all the time, and handsome/muscular men flirt right back because they are self-confident enough to know they won't be judged, but guys like Louie are so wrapped up in what other people will think of them that they freak out about it. She's acknowledging that Louie and other overweight men suffer their own self-esteem issues, but pointing out that this just adds even more stress and pressure on fat girls like her. She definitely gets the worst end of the stick.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Breadallelogram posted:

Whether you agree or not with whatever you think that scene's "argument" was, it was obviously goddamn thought-provoking. Bravo Louie.

Agreed, obviously there is a lot of disagreement over how to interpret it, but the fact that it generated so much (generally intelligent, non-confrontational) discussion is a very good thing and one of the things that Louie's show does so well while still being hilarious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ZDar Fan posted:

During the scene where Jane is telling Louie why she got in trouble at school, in the background there's a passed out (possibly dead) guy in the background in the park the entire time. I love those little touches on the show.

I loved that it was never noticed or referenced or came up again, just a possibly dead dude in the background while Louie worries about his daughter and she complains about school being stupid.

Louie's face in his apartment after Evanka and Amia left was really adorable :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Todd's description of his day was amazing. His complete misreading of the meaning of the donut was the best.

Waitress: You're here every single day? Would you like a donut? :smith:
Todd: Yeah she always make sure I get a donut :smug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

Either the young Louie actor has the best Louie CK voice ever or that was some truly impressive adr work. Kept flipping back and forth between the two options in my head.

Parallels have been made between Louie and Woody Allen before but I was really struck by it when I heard Louie's "voice" and saw his mannerisms coming from a guy who reminded me of a young (and much physically fitter!) Woody Allen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, the joke of,"Guy in a position of responsibility/power is surprisingly young" is hardly a new one, and certainly wasn't invented by 30 Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edit: Actually I'm just contributing to a silly derail, sorry everybody.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 30, 2014

• Locked thread