Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

twistedmentat posted:

And yea, Selena's turn was really confusing. She has always been independent, and was very clear she didn't want to tie herself down, but for some reason Fish had her lock and stock. Maybe it was a promise of glory and fortune, but it still seems out of character.

Or getting a consistent shelter and an easier path to getting money than risk getting caught pickpocketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

twistedmentat posted:

I was just thinking that Loeb won't be Commissioner much longer. He sided with Moroni against Falcone and personally showed up to the hospital with hitmen to try to get rid of Gordon, who straight up helped Falcone and earned his gratitude and respect.

Unfortunately Falcone is out of the scene. I was sort of hoping that Falcone would sort of agree to stick around Gotham or a while to use his influence to 'protect' Gordon from the internal corruption threatening to get him ousted, try to undo the damage he'd done, etc.

I'm sort of confused, though. Why would Gordon be 'out' after the mob war, anyway? He was a hero cop that took down a serial killer just days earlier and saved the life of a local rich girl. It's not like he botched the whole thing.

I'm sort of thinking Loeb will be around as Commission for at least another season or two. Keeping in mind everyone who was a major player in the mob scene that he had ties to is now dead. While he doesn't have the support of the underworld like he used to, he similarly won't be beholden to the mob like he was in the past, either, maybe giving him an excuse to exercise more power. Add into that Penguin's rise to power might end up being supported by Loeb since Penguin knows about Loeb's daughter, Loeb's files on compromised cops, etc. Loeb ends up being in Penguin's pocket or vice versa.

Makes me sort of wonder what Zsasz is going to end up doing. Working for Penguin, taking charge of his own mob, etc.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

farraday posted:

Ok that rooftop confrontation was the worst god drat thing.

Slapfight for the city of Gotham

* Bruce continues to take cookies from enemies BUT HE WON'T ENJOY THEM

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Selina: So what did you find in your Dad's secret cave he hid from you and your mother?
Bruce: Stacks of bodybuilding magazines, which is weird because Dad didn't work out!

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Honestly what they did with Selena this episode seemed like they didn't really have any other ideas of what to do with her. Which is dumb, have her hang out with Bruce and try to help find whatever it was that his dad had in that room. It would actually make the scene make his scene make more sense since she never met his father and didn't live in the mansion so she would know about the classical music or his father being a stoic.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Maybe she's dealing with murdering that guy.
Nah. Makes too much sense.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Weird finale but not bad. I hate that they wrote themselves into a "Fish could totally come back" though. I wanted to see actual onscreen and thorough death. I'm talking wood chipper level here.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

precision posted:

Weird finale but not bad. I hate that they wrote themselves into a "Fish could totally come back" though. I wanted to see actual onscreen and thorough death. I'm talking wood chipper level here.

You know she'd just come back with two blue eyes.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
How can a show have such great characters like Penguin, Nygma and 'lil wayne, and at the same time terrible ones like Fish and Barbara?

That finale was good. It could have been great if it wasn't so awkward.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dalael posted:

How can a show have such great characters like Penguin, Nygma and 'lil wayne, and at the same time terrible ones like Fish and Barbara?

Well, those are the mains. So they probably spent more time getting the casting right. Nygma was so loving good throughout and his descent in the last few was amazing. As much as I like young Bruce, I hope they skip ahead a few years because the show will drag if it is just years of non-batman.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Waltzing Along posted:

Well, those are the mains. So they probably spent more time getting the casting right. Nygma was so loving good throughout and his descent in the last few was amazing. As much as I like young Bruce, I hope they skip ahead a few years because the show will drag if it is just years of non-batman.

The show is now officially non-canon, put Bruce in the Batsuit when he hits 15.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rarity posted:

Bruce's father is revealed to be Batman. Season 2 is a flashback featuring Falcone, Wayne Sr and Gordon's dad. Along with headstrong rookie cop Harvey Bullock.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bruceski posted:

Bruce's father is revealed to be Batman. Season 2 is a flashback featuring Falcone, Wayne Sr and Gordon's dad. Along with headstrong rookie cop Harvey Bullock.

Bruce's father did have a "bat" costume for a costume party, and ended up solving a crime while dressed in it at the party, so anything's possible!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
When was the last we saw Ivy?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

When was the last we saw Ivy?

"Red Hood", back in Feb, apparently.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah but how many episodes did they air since then as they took quite a while off.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah but how many episodes did they air since then as they took quite a while off.

There were only five episodes left after "Red Hood"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I could have sworn Ivy made a brief appearance more recently than Red Hood, but can't remember where.

Rarity posted:

I'll allow it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I was so pleased about that - both because it was nice that Lee didn't need a man to save her, and that everybody was just like,"Well sure Barbara was at fault, it's Barbara!" They didn't even blink at the idea :laugh:

I liked the ending of them but the writing to get alone together is just horrible. The Medical Examiner doing aftercare screening of a "victim" and then PTSD therapy? That's CSI having their characters doing suspect interviews level of bullshit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah, that was ridiculously stupid, in fact I was thrilled when at first Lee said,"Uhhh no, I've only got basic training in that field and there are far better qualified people". But then Barbara said,"But I trust you!" and Lee went,"Okay then!" which was pretty groanworthy.

Lee just beating the poo poo out of her instead of being "saved" was both a nice change of pace from how things usually happen on TV shows, as well as further serving to prove how more capable Lee is than somebody like Barbara (who gets trolled by little kids) and how she isn't the wilting flower that Gordon sometimes tries to treat her as.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Oh yeah, that was ridiculously stupid, in fact I was thrilled when at first Lee said,"Uhhh no, I've only got basic training in that field and there are far better qualified people". But then Barbara said,"But I trust you!" and Lee went,"Okay then!" which was pretty groanworthy.

Lee just beating the poo poo out of her instead of being "saved" was both a nice change of pace from how things usually happen on TV shows, as well as further serving to prove how more capable Lee is than somebody like Barbara (who gets trolled by little kids) and how she isn't the wilting flower that Gordon sometimes tries to treat her as.

So was Barbara not a victim of poor writing and her stupid actions though out the show simply because she is loving crazy? Also why exactly is Jim going to name some kid after a crazy person who killed her parents and tried to kill his girlfriend?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Scapegoat posted:

So was Barbara not a victim of poor writing

She is completely a victim of poor writing, it's actually kind of remarkable how consistently poorly her character has been written, what stupid things she's been made to say and do. With the exception of perhaps Fish, every other character has had their ups and downs in terms of writing - sometimes really good, sometimes really bad, sometimes really stupid - but Barbara just gets the worst end of the stick constantly.

Stuff like Lee being contrasted with Barbara as a more competent character goes to show they understand the issues with Barbara, but that just makes the consistency with which she's been badly written all the more baffling. But then, this is a baffling show, with weird tonal shifts and an inability to figure out what kind of atmosphere it wants to have and how seriously it wants to be taken.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I know I've probably already voiced this, but I sort of wonder if the direction of the show changed a lot during the production cycle either due to some early audience reactions, the expanded season, or new ideas. I'm sort of trying to re-edit the season in my mind. I almost think you could have stood to lose the Circus episode entirely. Maybe a lot of episodes could have been more compressed and moved up in a different way. The Arkham assignment of Jim could have maybe worked as a season ending cliffhanger for the character as punishment by Loeb for his actions during the mob war instead of a mid-season "it lasted 1.5 episodes" thing.

It sort of feels in some ways like the last episode was sort of them trying to just get things organized in a way to get us to quickly to the next part of the story and just accept what the new status quo is going to be going in and get rid of everything they weren't going to use in one fell swoop.

The whole plot point about Bruce's Dad's secrets and secret lair felt very forced, like it was a very late idea that they'd just figured out but didn't have time to actually develop it in the season.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
I think it would've been more interesting if Bruce's parents had died at the end of the season rather than the beginning. If the show's going to show how Bruce becomes Batman it feels like his relationship with his parents should've been a bigger part of that, and if they'd been investigating the conspiracy with Gordon it would give him a reason to become engaged with Bruce.

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 7, 2015

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Crashbee posted:

I think it would've been more interesting if Bruce's parents had died at the end of the season rather than the beginning. If the show's going to show how Bruce becomes Batman it feels like his relationship with his parents should've been a bigger part of that, and if they'd been investigating the conspiracy with Gordon it would give him a reason to become engaged with Bruce.

This is really on point. Even knowing what was going to happen, we still would have become emotionally invested had it been done right. A missed opportunity.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The missed opportunity was not having the killer shoot Bruce, too, in the first episode.

THAT might have been a cool show.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
#nextseasonongotham

Bullock becomes the first Batman

I am the night, Jerk-o!!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

gannyGrabber posted:

#nextseasonongotham

Bullock becomes the first Batman

I am the night, Jerk-o!!

When Fish said we cool I honestly thought he was going to die in the episode and got sad. He is one of my favorite characters and want him to have a long life on this show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I wonder if we will be getting more Renee who is considered one of the show's cast members.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, Jim is going to pick a different name for his daughter.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope in this show Bruce's father was literally Batman the First

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

precision posted:

Or at least has a prototype Jetcar he was tinkering with stored down there.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Another thing they could have done is in every episode have them leaving the theatre so the audience would never know when it was going to happen. We'd expect it the first couple times but after a while it would become routine and then bang bang.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

precision posted:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Phenotype posted:

The missed opportunity was not having the killer shoot Bruce, too, in the first episode.

Agreed. Not that Lil Wayne sucks or anything, he's great, but not being a countdown to Batman would only help this show.

Jerusalem posted:

Ugh. Yeah, that entire scene was goddamn ridiculous. "You know me personally, I am dating your ex-fiance, and I'm literally not a trained counselor. There's no part of that which makes it ethical for me to counsel you. But sure, that seems fine."

They didn't even need that pretense. They could've just had Barbara say, "I'm not ready for a counselor; I just want a friendly face and you seem like a kind person." All that needed to happen was for the two of them to be in a room together for 10 minutes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Barbara: Let's gently caress and make a video to tease Jim with.

Lee: Hellz yeah!

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Jerusalem posted:

Selina: So what did you find in your Dad's secret cave he hid from you and your mother?
Bruce: Stacks of bodybuilding magazines, which is weird because Dad didn't work out!

Tom using a dank cave as a secret fuckshack w/Fox is probably the most palatable explanation for a proto-bat cave.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Xealot posted:

Agreed. Not that Lil Wayne sucks or anything, he's great, but not being a countdown to Batman would only help this show.

Yeah, I actually think he's one of the better actors on the show, but it would have been really interesting to see a Gotham that would not have to eventually be saved by Batman. It seriously ties their hands to have to keep everything mostly in canon so that the city will really need a Batman in ten years. I would have liked to see a show that actually gets to go through significant events in Gotham and show what Gordon can actually do to fix the city when they're not forced to maintain the status quo for the eventual savior that will never get to air.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I actually think he's one of the better actors on the show, but it would have been really interesting to see a Gotham that would not have to eventually be saved by Batman. It seriously ties their hands to have to keep everything mostly in canon so that the city will really need a Batman in ten years. I would have liked to see a show that actually gets to go through significant events in Gotham and show what Gordon can actually do to fix the city when they're not forced to maintain the status quo for the eventual savior that will never get to air.

Yeah but we already know that no character is safe. Sal Maroni is really important, but he is now dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dalael posted:

I don't think Nygma is such a great character, mainly because of the weird fake schizo stuff he was pulling in the finale. That's not how split personality works, hardly even in comicbook land. I'm a much bigger fan of him when he keeps undermining himself by doing stuff like what he did when he wrote that letter, but not when he then goes into his big dialogue with himself about why he did that or how screwed he is. As Riddler, he should've gotten a smug smile from her figuring things out, then entrapped her or posed a new riddle to her that would've stumped her in her investigation, proving how smart he was. Until she found the new clue he'd been forced to drop. Not because I want the show to adhere to the comic books or whatever, but because what we got in the show was just not very interesting.

Penguin, Bruce, and at least in part Selena and Ivy are some pretty neat characters, while I'm slightly on the fence for both Alfred and Jim's new girlfriend. Bullock's a wild card, I sometimes like him and sometimes couldn't care less, depending on who's writing him.

But getting rid of Barbara and possibly Fish are some of the show's best moves. They'd no idea what to do with either of them.

• Locked thread