Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:

Trabant posted:

I bought some expensive slippers because the cheap ones seem to fall apart:

They're comfy and warm!

These are so good. Ive had mine for three years and they still look new. Use them all year because my feet are always cold. 😅

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I bought a lat pulldown/ low row tower for our gym.

It's nice that it isn't too bulky with a small footprint but still sturdy enough to theoretically hold almost 400lbs of weight.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I've been camping/backpacking with the same 3 person tent since 2011, so I thought it was time to upgrade to something smaller and lighter for backpacking so I got this:
https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/collections/ultralight-tents/products/skyscape-scout?aff=19

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Slimy Hog posted:

I've been camping/backpacking with the same 3 person tent since 2011, so I thought it was time to upgrade to something smaller and lighter for backpacking so I got this:
https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/collections/ultralight-tents/products/skyscape-scout?aff=19

Oh weird, I was just looking at their Deschutes plus shelter.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Any winter slipper suggestions? My wife wears LLBean moccasin style ones until they wear through but they've been getting news about no longer honoring their warranty.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Nastyman posted:

Just ordered some 60x40cm prints of each separate piece of Takiyasha the Witch and the Skeleton Spectre (linked for huge) which I'm planning on framing and hanging side by side in my apartment, because I am a huge weeb who is bad with money. :skeltal:
I had to do some AI upscaling to get a decent, printable resolution and it does come off a little blurry at full size but I think it's going to look alright when it's been shrinked down again. At least it looks better than my attempt to upscale Them! posters. Speaking of, if anyone knows a good place to find hi-res vintage movie posters hmu!

Good lord, they're amazing.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Any winter slipper suggestions? My wife wears LLBean moccasin style ones until they wear through but they've been getting news about no longer honoring their warranty.
I've bought from https://www.slipperfactory.com/ (it's Canadian, so ymmv on shipping etc, it's pretty local to me) and they're very comfy.

My understanding of the LL Bean warranty stuff is they've stopped the ridiculous stuff - like the guy who bought one shirt in 1958 and comes back every 18 months for a free new one - but are pretty good on any returns within one year and even decent beyond that on actual defects.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
My home theater speakers (a 15 year old set of Logitech gaming speakers) have developed a second blown speaker so I ordered these from monoprice.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

duffmensch posted:

Are those are smoke free as they claim (vs. a regular backyard chimney fire pit)?

The Bonfire model is. The larger model would take a fuckton of wood to get it going enough to make it smoke free.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I wear slippers year round in the house because we have mostly hard wood floors. I'd love any recommendations on slippers that look like slippers on the outside but have as much padding as a sneaker inside. I'm currently 2.5 years into a pair of Izod slippers with a Dr. Scholls insert but the left one is starting to come apart.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Subjunctive posted:

Some bottles for hot sauces, since I liked the first sauce I made.

Update:

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

spookygonk posted:

Good lord, they're amazing.

Thank you :tipshat: I'll try and get some pictures up when I've gotten them framed and mounted.
The skeleton is actually remarkably realistic for its time, and it's suspected the artist had a copy of a very rare anatomy book called the Kaitai Shinsho, which was brought over from Germany.

I mostly just think it's a badass picture though

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Roblo posted:

Oh weird, I was just looking at their Deschutes plus shelter.

I plan to break it in on a short 2 day trip near the middle/end of October so if the weather treats me right and I get out I'll let you know what I think.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I bought a rug off of Facebook marketplace from someone clearing out a storage unit based on the fact that it is HUGE and nicely colored and claimed to be wool

Turns out it's a fancy CB2 rug, and I am extremely chuffed

(Not its finally resting place, just cleaning it)

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Do you add any thickening or stabilizing powder to keep it from separating?

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Not a Children posted:

lol this is what I THOUGHT I was doing, but they all sold out everywhere instantly

Coworker managed to snag one because he had a refresh script running and was able go click through fast enough

Captain Lavender posted:

It's been years since I've bought any kind of electronics on release, and I forgot that people snatch that all up immediately. I tried to snag a PS5 for a friend on Walmart when it became available, but they apparently sold out in about 2 seconds.

It's unfortunately way too many people running bots to buy them specifically so they can relist them. eBay et al really need to fuckin crack down because it's bullshit

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Opticron Traveller BGA Mg Black 6x32 binos:

Made in Japan, good eye relief. Magnesium body with partial rubber covering in the middle. Weight 360 grams or so ~13oz. Going to pick them up from post office after work.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

colas posted:

Do you add any thickening or stabilizing powder to keep it from separating?

Nope, but I do keep them in the fridge. Theres only a touch of vinegar in the lemon/shallot one, and none in the garlic/ginger, so Im not too worried about separating. Worst case I shake them back together!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
After 10 years of regular use, my Xbox 360 controllers stopped working on PC. It seems it's the Chinese wireless receiver that the controllers can't find. It's a shame that Microsoft no longer support these things. They don't even sell receivers anymore, and recently introduced a change in the drivers that made them stop working with Chinese ones (but there's still a workaround).

So after a few hours of trying to fix the issue I'm just realizing that I don't have time for this poo poo and that I should buy a Xbox One controller which is probably what Microsoft wanted all along.

Problem, after checking online, none of the local game stores have one in stock, which is insane because there are tons of PS4/Nintendo controllers. Same thing on Amazon, nothing available right now, always weeks/months of waiting. A game store owner told me Microsoft stopped sending them controllers for months now.

So I just went to the supermarket electronics section, and at the bottom of the ridiculously small Xbox shelf (seriously, it's like 1/10th of Sony's or Nintendo's shelves) I just found two boxes of this dumb thing, hidden behind racing wheels.

Thank god it's not too stupid looking, and was only 5 more expensive than normal ones.

Literally the only other option I had left was a second hand Elite series 2 for 140, and there's no way I'm paying that much for something that apparently stops working randomly for tons of users.

gently caress you Microsoft for stopping supporting a perfectly fine controller (both my 10 years old 360 controllers still work perfectly) and actively trying to prevent people to find other ways to keep them working.

And gently caress you for forcing me to buy the Billie Eilish of controllers when all I needed was a boring plain one.

If you weren't making the absolute best controllers for Steam games you would definitely have lost a customer.

*This post was sent from a Microsoft operating system*

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 13:47 on Sep 21, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

Are you using voice and if not can't you just use it in bluetooth mode?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

Are you using voice and if not can't you just use it in bluetooth mode?

The old 360 ones don't have bluetooth :( You needed the dongle and Microsoft stopped selling them and makes sure the Chinese ones don't work on Win 10.

I'm not complaining too much, the Xbox one feels even better than the 360, and the bluetooth means I don't need their stupid dongle anymore. It's just it's spectacularly scummy from Microsoft to make sure Chinese copies of a product they don't even sell anymore don't work on Windows 10, while they did since forever

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 14:20 on Sep 21, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Funny, the batteries when flat in my xbox one controller I was using with my PC and I dug out my old 360 wired controller to keep the party going. That thing has been a workhorse for several years now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Coredump posted:

Funny, the batteries when flat in my xbox one controller I was using with my PC and I dug out my old 360 wired controller to keep the party going. That thing has been a workhorse for several years now.
Were you using it with the PC receiver? Worth the purchase you think?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Got a silly phone that folds out into a tablet

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

So I just went to the supermarket electronics section, and at the bottom of the ridiculously small Xbox shelf (seriously, it's like 1/10th of Sony's or Nintendo's shelves)

And gently caress you for forcing me to buy the Billie Eilish of controllers when all I needed was a boring plain one.

Doesn't the Xbox have a terrible take rate outside of the USA? I'm surprised a supermarket in Europe carries anything Xbox related at all. Or is "supermarket" less like a grocery chain and more of a Target/Walmart type store?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

davebo posted:

Doesn't the Xbox have a terrible take rate outside of the USA? I'm surprised a supermarket in Europe carries anything Xbox related at all. Or is "supermarket" less like a grocery chain and more of a Target/Walmart type store?

It's possible. Nintendo and Sony certainly are more popular. It was at a Carrefour so they have big stores selling kind of everything: food, clothes, appliances, TVs, bicycle parts, etc.

It was just still a bit shocking to see only 1m of shelf space with 2 xbox games and a few accessories when the other brands literally have 10 times more. Wouldn't surprise me that brands have to pay for shelf space in these kind of stores

Maybe Xboxes are less popular but it's not like they are obscure.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

A copy of a book I've been meaning to read from a second hand book store

Photo paper, for making wet prints

New (to me) camera and spot meter

Some film they stopped making a while ago

A new old stock lens for my enlarger

And many gins

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Megabound posted:

cameras and gins

A Good Purchase.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Really interested in this, but I have a rule of never buying first gen products and I feel it's very overpriced at the moment. I'm VERY interested in seeing where this concept goes as it seems like the perfect little work communicator, especially since I'm an Office 365/Teams company.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Kristneder posted:

These are so good. Ive had mine for three years and they still look new. Use them all year because my feet are always cold. 😅

Good to know they're so durable!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Really interested in this, but I have a rule of never buying first gen products and I feel it's very overpriced at the moment. I'm VERY interested in seeing where this concept goes as it seems like the perfect little work communicator, especially since I'm an Office 365/Teams company.

This would be really sweet as a phone/kindle/notepad combo, but I agree I want to wait until folding screens work out some of the kinks :v:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Which phone is this?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

TraderStav posted:

To be fair this is the second gen of the Galaxy Fold (third if you count the initial version that they pulled the release from and reworked). Definitely agree with you about the price though.

If you're heavy into office365/teams and looking for a work communicator that's heavily optimised for that workflow (and you absolutely do not care about the main camera quality) you might be interested in the Microsoft Surface Duo, though that one is first gen.

blunt has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Sep 22, 2020

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Coffee And Pie posted:

New car day, a got myself 2005 Highlander.

Car’s got a lot of pickup, but I gotta fix the cigarette lighter.

Got some stuff to spruce this up:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

I don't really know why I bought it. Maybe because I heard how difficult it was to get one, and Best Buy restocked them right as I logged on to buy an Air Purifier

Their list of exclusive games is... not exciting

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Is that seriously what the new Xbox looks like?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Its right in the name...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

TotalLossBrain posted:

Is that seriously what the new Xbox looks like?

They sell one that's hamburger style and one that's hotdog style.

Somehow the new Playstation managed to be even uglier

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Slimy Hog posted:

This would be really sweet as a phone/kindle/notepad combo, but I agree I want to wait until folding screens work out some of the kinks :v:

For this one, it's not the foldable aspect that concerns me since it's a hinge and not a foldable display. I feel that this is the better implementation. It's the software that I'm mostly concerned about at this point. I'm also a blue bubble snob too...

blunt posted:

To be fair this is the second gen of the Galaxy Fold (third if you count the initial version that they pulled the release from and reworked). Definitely agree with you about the price though.

If you're heavy into office365/teams and looking for a work communicator that's heavily optimised for that workflow (and you absolutely do not care about the main camera quality) you might be interested in the Microsoft Surface Duo, though that one is first gen.

I assumed this was the Duo! Ignore my comments entirely and apply them to the Duo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I like tall game box.