Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
drat I like that jack frost and I'm jealous I can't get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Yeah i need that Banjo-Kazooie sticker

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Warbird posted:

I don't know what any of that means but the stickers are nice.
extremely truncated version: very small time youtuber(like, hundreds of subscribers) got a big break joining the biggest vtuber agency, reached around 850,000 subscribers before she had issues with bullying and mismanagement culminating in attempted suicide, company harassed her in the hospital and then fired her when she lawyered up with an insanely unprofessional and likely illegal public termination notice. it became international news for like a solid week because the company could not stop shooting itself in the foot in the worst possible PR ways imaginable including streaming a smear campaign read aloud by their top talents against her during her first stream back. this resulted in the company losing almost 20% of their market value(iirc roughly $200,000,000) and tons of sponsorships, merch agreements, artist contracts and overall goodwill, and all their talents lost tens of thousands of subscribers. eventually the 28-year-old billionaire CEO broadcast an apology video, never a good thing to have to do, which failed to improve things.

meanwhile the news breached the vtuber veil and got into the global conversation for about a week, and resulted in doki getting over 600,000 subscribers in a couple weeks, becoming an incredibly successful indie talent essentially overnight who is fast approaching the subscriber count she had as a member of the megacorp. it went from a real horrific story to a real feel-good one.

Waste of Breath posted:

drat I like that jack frost and I'm jealous I can't get one.
she's a great artist and I think she said once she gets all of her business poo poo situated since she's kinda been thrown into this headfirst and only has a couple volunteers helping her manage things, she might reopen her etsy store. so hopefully those will all be available once again! if you want to keep an eye on it, her etsy storefront is Dokidoggu. I really want some of the other stickers and keychains she sold out of, they were great!

but since she hand-packs all of it herself and writes a little thank-you card for each one, I can understand not wanting to deal with any of that right now.

Trabant posted:

absolutely did not happen.
:shrug: just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. maybe "global conversation" was a bit much, but trending on twitter in multiple countries for multiple days, youtubers with tens of millions of subscribers talking about it and goldman sachs issuing statements about the validity of the stocks is more than just vtuber circles.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Mar 13, 2024

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
It's a great outcome borne from lovely people and circumstances, and good on you for supporting the person who got screwed along the way.

That said, I do have to say that this:

Captain Invictus posted:

the news breached the vtuber veil and got into the global conversation for about a week

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I had actually meant to add a line to clarify to not take it as in need to know more but got waylaid by kids. Bud I’m glad you enjoy whatever that all is but I just don’t see the appeal. But again, the stickers are cool.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Tldr

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Trabant posted:

That said, I do have to say that this:

I had heard about it and I'm definitely not a vtuber enthusiast.

tbf I read about it on these dead gay forums, possibly even from the very same poster you are quoting lol

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
nerds!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
fine, I'll post two things I bought relatively recently that are absolutely not nerdy.

this Magic the Gathering playmat

and this robot who I have posed to flip off Wendigee in particular. :colbert:

(the Dog Plains Playmat can be bought here)

(Astrobot Vulkan can be bought here)

Vulkan is basically the perfect fiddly desk toy. it can do essentially any pose you want, hold any object you want that it can fit its hands/claws around, and has the durability and stability to do whatever without ever needing a stand, including holding entire other figures at arm's length without issue. it's decently large and for the quality, very reasonably priced. genuinely in the top two best action figures I have ever bought. he's just so loving fun to fiddle with and pose, I took a bunch of pictures when I first got him

and there's a modified version coming out at some point in the next couple months(hopefully) called Hyperion that replaces the drill claws with a second pair of gigantic fists. definitely grabbing that one, "exosuit with a pair of gigantic punchin' fists" is like, my childhood dream iron man-style superhero powerup

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Samoyed Plains was the reason I backed the Kickstarter. So good.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

What on earth!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Giant punching exo is extremely cool, so I had to buy one. I hope the hands open to hold things but the pictures only had them punching. Looks like the digits are articulated...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Every finger is fully articulated and are jointed to move around, and they've got balljoints at the base of each finger for full range of movement. It's why they're so fun to fiddle with, the designers really thought about the engineering of the joints to maximize stability and articulation.

The female astrobots unfortunately prioritize "fembot" styling over functionality, which means they have static pose hands that swap out of a socket rather than jointed fingers, and have trouble standing without a base to hold them up because they have high heel feet instead of the big stompers of the other astrobots.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have made numerous poor decisions over the last few days. Starting with the hella cut down cheap as we can possibly make it PSP because I saw it in a store for £40. Also House of Flying Daggers on UMD because I love cinema.

On the same trip I went a bit overboard in a store's used CD section.

And then today this bad boy got delivered. Its spindle is a bit ragged but it works and aside from the little scuffs on the lid is in drat perfect condition. Pretty happy for £20 given how stupid people have gotten with pricing for Sony portable music stuff. Though saying portable this is one that doesn't have shock protection so it's never leaving the house.

I'm basically accepting the inevitability of buying a Minidisc player at this point.

njsykora has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Mar 15, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

njsykora posted:

And then today this bad boy got delivered. Its spindle is a bit ragged but it works and aside from the little scuffs on the lid is in drat perfect condition. Pretty happy for £20 given how stupid people have gotten with pricing for Sony portable music stuff. Though saying portable this is one that doesn't have shock protection so it's never leaving the house.

I'm basically accepting the inevitability of buying a Minidisc player at this point.

The Sony shock protection made music sound like absolute rear end.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The Sony shock protection made music sound like absolute rear end.

I don't remember that being the case - wasn't the shock protection just having a 2-second read ahead buffer or something like that to prevent audible skips?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Serak posted:

I don't remember that being the case - wasn't the shock protection just having a 2-second read ahead buffer or something like that to prevent audible skips?

It had to compress the music to fit in that buffer, so depending on how much memory Sony put in a model it could sound fine or be crunched down to absolute rear end levels. It’s super model dependant as far as i know, which is why people want either models that don’t have it or models that can turn the buffer off. Let’s be honest if you have a discman in 2024 you’re probably not walking around with it.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

njsykora posted:

It had to compress the music to fit in that buffer, so depending on how much memory Sony put in a model it could sound fine or be crunched down to absolute rear end levels. It’s super model dependant as far as i know, which is why people want either models that don’t have it or models that can turn the buffer off. Let’s be honest if you have a discman in 2024 you’re probably not walking around with it.

Yeah I'm struggling to find a solid reference as even Sony's various implentations seems to be devoid of any real documentation, but from what I can see, appears there were versions that just had an uncompressed RAM buffer to enable short skip protection, and then there were versions that would actually read ahead and store it as compressed ATRAC for longer periods, which is always gonna kill the quality.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
my discman and ripping off Columbia House was the sound of my adolescence

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Look what you made me do

It's ESP2 though and there's about a second gap when toggling it but I can't notice any obvious difference in quality, if there is one.

It does seems to just completely shut down if I touch it the wrong way though, no idea what's up with that as it didn't do that before.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
An old cane for $0.99 from a thrift store:

Long story short: I have off and on pain in my heel from bursitis and the tendonitis the initial bursitis caused. I'm still waiting on a surgery date, but won't be till at least May, and recovery will take me to June or July.

But the combo of using a crutch and maybe an Ortho boot has REALLY hosed my knees, hip, and back (did I mention th "off and on" has been since July?) so I'm hoping maybe a cane on the days it's only a little bad will be better than a crutch for my posture and back/knee/hip health?

If nothing else it looks a little less pathetic when I'm walking? Maybe?

This weekend I'm going to sand it down, apply some varnish, really get it looking nice.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Mar 20, 2024

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A classier alternative: https://mccaffreycrafts.com/collections/blackthorn-walking-stick

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Definitely classier, and it looks like I could use a couple of those as a shillelagh in a pinch, should the need arise... But they are literally over a hundred times more expensive.

I wonder if I could just find a good enough branch from the tree in my backyard to turn into a walking stick...

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
Put down a pre-order on a synth (joining the middle aged nerd club...)

Black was available right now but yellow is so obviously the play... Now to wait until June. And maybe consider buying a drum machine too. gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfCUgCI-Zl0

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Waste of Breath posted:

Put down a pre-order on a synth (joining the middle aged nerd club...)

Black was available right now but yellow is so obviously the play... Now to wait until June. And maybe consider buying a drum machine too. gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfCUgCI-Zl0

Nice. Does it have midi?

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Nope. It is a very specific weird thing but is perfect for what I want.

https://www.eltamusic.com/solar-42

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Waste of Breath posted:

Nope. It is a very specific weird thing but is perfect for what I want.

https://www.eltamusic.com/solar-42

That's rad.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Do the ball things spin or are they just lights?

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

photo sensors that can be used to modulate the frequency of the oscillators. From the videos I've watched most people cover them with their hand (looks kinda like playing a theramin), but I'm curious about using external light sources to trigger them for some interesting/random effects. I'll find out this summer!

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
This jacket.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was intrigued enough to get these for 5€ a piece:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I was intrigued enough to get these for 5€ a piece:

Megatron Braineater sounds like a new weed strain. What are those?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Night Danger Moose posted:

Megatron Braineater sounds like a new weed strain. What are those?

Books cum music CDs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Books cum music CDs.
he asked if it was a weed strain, not what you see while on it.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
how can 1 thing be 4 things smdh

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

how can 1 thing be 4 things smdh

I've seen, like, 14-in-1 painter's tools, so I don't even know where the upper limit of how many things can be in one thing even is.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Wait till you guys hear about the ratio of pictures to words

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Even more guitars

Hondo H-77, late 80s

Hondo Deluxe Series H760N, early 80s

KGD Relic Strat copy, green over sunburst, bought because I like the Tele so much

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I'm looking for long v-neck undershirts. Mine are always getting untucked and I hate it. I've tried tall versions of regular undershirts before but they also make the sleeves longer and I don't like it. Anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

owl_pellet posted:

I'm looking for long v-neck undershirts. Mine are always getting untucked and I hate it. I've tried tall versions of regular undershirts before but they also make the sleeves longer and I don't like it. Anyone?

Most of the synthetic/merino baselayers I've used have longer tops, maybe start w like Patagonia/Icebreaker/etc? They have some very lightweight options too if you don't run cold

V neck could be an issue there though