Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

My friend just bought a 2021 Outback and it's really nice but also way bigger than the last Outback I rode in which was like a decade older. It's a full on SUV now.

I feel like everyone I know who's had a kid in the last ten years bought one of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

McCracAttack posted:

I feel like everyone I know who's had a kid in the last ten years bought one of these.

:lol: one of the reasons she said she bought it is because it can hold kids and a dog, despite her being single and without pets at the moment. I guess plan for the future you want.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

Hey! That's unfair!

Some of us bought a Forester.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love my forester!

Probably posted it in this thread!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I had a 2020 Crosstrek as a loaner for a day and man it was just not built with larger drivers in mind. I'm not huge, right around 6'1" or so but the rear view mirror didn't adjust enough for me to see out the back window. Yes I made sure it wasn't flipped up in the antiglare position and yes I adjusted the seat all the way down, it was just completely worthless as a rear view mirror.

I have a similar complaint about my 2019 Ascent, except this time it's that the A-pillars are enormous and block sightlines in intersections. There are a couple of 4 way stops on my way to work where I have to lean way forward or back to see around those behemoths. Wish I had noticed this during the test drive, it makes me really nervous that I'm going to cause an accident.

My wife's 2018 Forester is awesome for visibility though, as was my 2005 WRX wagon.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Subarus are nice, I bought a 2017 Legacy limited about 2 years ago, only had 4000 miles on it at the time and got it for a steal. My color too, royal blue.

I thought you side swiped a dumpster or something until I noticed it's just a reflection of pants in your car.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Inspector 34 posted:

My wife's 2018 Forester is awesome for visibility though, as was my 2005 WRX wagon.

Fantastic vis, but the windshield is horrible when it comes to getting chipped by everything you hit.

I got mine in spring of 2019 and I’m about to be on my third windshield because it got another crack on the highway.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Rolo posted:

I love my forester!

Probably posted it in this thread!

I love my forester and I definitely did post it in here. I'm sad that there's no manual and it's no longer a "tall wagon," but it's a compact SUV that's fast as hell so I'm still happy.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Rolo posted:

Fantastic vis, but the windshield is horrible when it comes to getting chipped by everything you hit.

I got mine in spring of 2019 and I’m about to be on my third windshield because it got another crack on the highway.

Holy crap that's a lot of windshields! I think my wife did have to replace hers once too, but that might have been her previous Forester.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Inspector 34 posted:

Holy crap that's a lot of windshields! I think my wife did have to replace hers once too, but that might have been her previous Forester.

I live in a big city with constant construction so I also go through tires and patches like a mofo.

Edit: there should be a law that after picking up 2 nails in a year on the highway, the city starts paying for repairs because drat man clean these streets sometimes please.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought you side swiped a dumpster or something until I noticed it's just a reflection of pants in your car.

Same, lol. On mobile my first reaction was like oh drat, that sucks their old car got totalled from a fender bender.

Then I realized it was just the fender light reflection followed by pants reflection.

For content, bought a new board game, Flick em Up. Think that was this thread someone posted the recommendation in... much appreciated!

(Not my photo)

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Subarus are nice, I bought a 2017 Legacy limited about 2 years ago, only had 4000 miles on it at the time and got it for a steal. My color too, royal blue.

I had your exact car as a loaner when I got the airbag recall done on my '07 Legacy. I was extremely tempted to cash in my '07 and take thing home for good. Do you have the I-sight thing or whatever they call the adaptive cruise and lane departure system? I thought it was pretty impressive and really made highway driving a little less stressful.

Beautiful interior too. Better than any of the new american (except the rental Cadillac I had. That thing was plush as gently caress) or Japanese cars I've been in. Second only to ze germans.

Just can't justify a vehicle purchase right now though. My '07 only has 130k miles on it and it still runs perfect.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

OSU_Matthew posted:

Same, lol. On mobile my first reaction was like oh drat, that sucks their old car got totalled from a fender bender.

Then I realized it was just the fender light reflection followed by pants reflection.

For content, bought a new board game, Flick em Up. Think that was this thread someone posted the recommendation in... much appreciated!

(Not my photo)

Flick em' Up is good fun. Their other game Junk Art is a masterpiece if you like dexterity games and completely different than FeU.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I ordered some custom print towels from Printful, but they didn't come with strips for hanging, so I got clip-on hanger loops like this. Way easier than sewing on strips of fabric.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bottom Liner posted:

Flick em' Up is good fun. Their other game Junk Art is a masterpiece if you like dexterity games and completely different than FeU.

drat you and your fabulous recommendations, that one is on its way now too :argh:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

XIII posted:

(not my photo)

Not the most exciting purchase ITT, but I just got an 06 CRV with 127k on it from a friend for the low, low price of $1,500. Sure it's a few years older than my 08 Focus w/ 190k miles, but it's got AWD, is in great condition, and will be a big quality of life upgrade for Colorado livin'. Gonna upgrade the stereo, add a hitch/bike rack, and call it a day

That is some serious friend pricing considering they probably could have sold that thing in a day for more than triple that.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

That is some serious friend pricing considering they probably could have sold that thing in a day for more than triple that.

Yeah, I'm very aware of how fortunate I am. Hell, I'll probably be able to sell my previous car for more than I paid for the CRV. The only thing keeping me from feeling guilty about the sweet deal is the fact that my friend's parents basically bought her a brand new 2021 Subaru for xmas and she said she'd rather a friend get the CRV than the dealership give her $2k for it and then flip it to some rando.

\/ Very

XIII has a new favorite as of 20:27 on Jan 5, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Thats a good friend, yo

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
My xmas presents to myself:

(Kudos to you if you recognize it)
Same one used in the tv show "Lucifer."

and upgrading my kitchen tools.

180mm santoku from https://www.hocho-knife.com

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I’m sure you probably already know this, but lead is the base element for many crystal glasses/decanters, and the lead can actually leech into spirits that are stored in the crystal for any significant amount of time. Just something to watch out for; I think platinum is the alternative base element used in crystal-making, so that’s the one you want.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hachi machi, I wish I could afford to spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on a single kitchen knife.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Got it, I went back and checked the box. It says it is "lead free." Which I believe, it doesn't have that ring that my parent's stuff (ok, my Mom's crystal glassware) has.

I get it, the knife was part of a massive holiday sale and came to $113 total including shipping from Japan. Not as crazy as some of the knives I looked at, but I recognize it's extravagant. I just wanted something hand made instead of mass produced for once in my life.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Don't feel bad for spending a little extra on a tool you will use frequently for many many years. You'll get a better return on that money than with most things we buy these days.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I’m not hating, just legitimately jealous. Those are beautiful knives and if I could spare the money, I’d honestly buy one.

One day!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CaptainCrunch posted:

I get it, the knife was part of a massive holiday sale and came to $113 total including shipping from Japan. Not as crazy as some of the knives I looked at, but I recognize it's extravagant. I just wanted something hand made instead of mass produced for once in my life.

Dang, that's just the cost of a nice kitchen knife - not even extravagant. I'm jealous.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Any thoughts of Shun Knives, gang? Been looking at them for a while.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I think Shun is a little overpriced personally, but if you're like me and live close enough to take advantage of their ridiculous holiday warehouse sale (usually the first weekend in December, except for 2020 obviously) then you can get like 25-80% off on a ton of their stuff.

As far as quality goes they're really nice. I feel bad using them though because I almost never remember to use a honing rod so the edge doesn't hold very long leaving me with an expensive knife that doesn't cut very well. Luckily they also sharpen for free at the warehouse. I think you can ship them in for free sharpening too if you don't live close but I'm not certain.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
FYI there is a knives thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846213

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The worst part about getting a new knife is the overwhelming urge to flip it into the air and hope you can time it so you catch it by the handle. Mostly because it's pretty easy to do and the only logical next step is go for two rotations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

XIII posted:

The worst part about getting a new knife is the overwhelming urge to flip it into the air and hope you can time it so you catch it by the handle. Mostly because it's pretty easy to do and the only logical next step is go for two rotations.

Single twisting rotation is easier and looks bad rear end.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Coward.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

SpartanIvy posted:

Don't feel bad for spending a little extra on a tool you will use frequently for many many years. You'll get a better return on that money than with most things we buy these days.
I got that thing where I feel bad about parading any ostentatiousness in front of literally anyone. Even when I'm very happy and satisfied with the purchase. I *loooooove* this knife and all I've done is look at it and do the paper test.

RCarr posted:

Yea I’m not hating, just legitimately jealous. Those are beautiful knives and if I could spare the money, I’d honestly buy one.

One day!
Couldn't find a smilie that evinced sincerity, but I am rooting for you.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Also just a general kitchen equipment thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749739

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought a box of meatballs and a bag of macaroni from Lidl. The macaroni was up 5 cents!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

CaptainCrunch posted:

My xmas presents to myself:

(Kudos to you if you recognize it)
Same one used in the tv show "Lucifer."

and upgrading my kitchen tools.

180mm santoku from https://www.hocho-knife.com

Filled with Angel's Envy?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Filled with Angel's Envy?

Knob Creek, actually.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A good knife is important. I got a Wusthoff Classic a few years ago and it's been great and makes chopping stuff much more pleasant.

In terms of cars, just got this monster for about $600 for a Banger type rally:

Had like 4 different CEL codes but mostly fixed now. Actually looked at CR-Vs but they were more expensive and I think I'd feel like I'm cheating with a lifted car and AWD.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Beautiful interior too. Better than any of the new american (except the rental Cadillac I had. That thing was plush as gently caress) or Japanese cars I've been in. Second only to ze germans.

You rang?

(My car, though not recently purchased)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I haven’t had a rice cooker in years but I remember how awesome it was and can’t figure out why it took this long to get another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Rolo posted:

I haven’t had a rice cooker in years but I remember how awesome it was and can’t figure out why it took this long to get another.

Does it come with a drill? Black & Decker have branched out since I last checked, apparently.