Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Doom Rooster posted:

You had a 40 foot tall statue?

Eva-01 is only 140 feet tall so a 1/6 model would be 23.3 feet, much easier to display on a shelf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Hedrigall posted:

Eva-01 is only 140 feet tall so a 1/6 model would be 23.3 feet, much easier to display on a shelf

Oh poo poo, my bad. Way easier, now I want one.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Finally managed to get order a PS5. Snagged a digital bundle from gamestop. Comes with an extra controller, ps+ subscription, sony store GC and gamestop GC.

The only thing I really would have liked to have was the extra controller since I already have PS+. I pretty much spent an extra $100 on stuff I didn't want or need, but since these are still tough to get, I don't care.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

I love Japanese wood block stuff

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

A Bakers Cousin posted:

This is dope

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Wanted a cheap projector for the occasional movie night and taking on trips. Decided on a Vankyo 620. It came with a free stand and I got their 120" portable screen, whole thing came out to ~$200. It arrived at the right time because we're having to stay in a hotel for almost 2 weeks while we have some mold removal done on our house. I'm just using the beige hotel room wall but it works a lot better than I thought it would: It looks much better in a completely dark room but so far it's been a good purchase.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Someone earlier in this thread posted the larger Taschen version of One Hundred Famous Views of Edo and I had to get that one even as someone who didn't know anything about wood block stuff. It's a little more than a foot tall with every print given a full page with commentary. It's got these folded pages bound Japanese style with string on the loose side and just generally feels like a very unique, high quality book. Anyone seen any other art books that stand out like that one?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Picked up at the Pasadena farmer's market.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

voting third party posted:

Someone earlier in this thread posted the larger Taschen version of One Hundred Famous Views of Edo and I had to get that one even as someone who didn't know anything about wood block stuff. It's a little more than a foot tall with every print given a full page with commentary. It's got these folded pages bound Japanese style with string on the loose side and just generally feels like a very unique, high quality book. Anyone seen any other art books that stand out like that one?

That was probably me, and I apologize for inspiring you to :homebrew:. But hey, it's for books and art!

Rather than recommend individual books, I'd point you to publishers/stores like Phaidon, Assouline, and Rizzoli, and the Folio Society. And, of course, Taschen. Just... uh, look for sales.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I have that exact book you described bound in string and yeah, its gorgeous.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I wanted a timer for my darkoom instead of trying to see my watch so I bought this Junghans Darkroom Timer. Some sources say 30s/40s, others 50s/60s so who knows! I love it and so far it's lost 4 seconds in 2 hours, which is good as I'm doing 1 - 2 minute times on it.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Seems redundant

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

1redflag posted:

Seems redundant

Yeah I should've noted my wife plays on the TV.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Megabound posted:

I wanted a timer for my darkoom instead of trying to see my watch so I bought this Junghans Darkroom Timer. Some sources say 30s/40s, others 50s/60s so who knows! I love it and so far it's lost 4 seconds in 2 hours, which is good as I'm doing 1 - 2 minute times on it.

Nice. Nothing like an analog timer ticking when you're in the darkroom.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I lost my mom at the beginning on the year to covid and I've found ordering dumb poo poo off aliexpress is a nice distraction. Today's might be the best/worst yet:

I plan on wearing them everytime I'm out with my daughter.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've been looking for a good pair of Funny Slippers Footwear Family House Shoes Men Large Size 33-47 Summer Beach Slippers Boys Unisex Fish Slippers Men 2021 forever. Do they come in size 46?

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Absolutely (probably)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I don't post much of what I buy but I do enjoy perusing this thread and seeing shoes posted and shoe opinions posted so here's the shoes I just had arrive.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

tangy yet delightful posted:

I don't post much of what I buy but I do enjoy perusing this thread and seeing shoes posted and shoe opinions posted so here's the shoes I just had arrive.

Those are rad, I really like the hexagons and the color.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

How to you like them? I have some Xero shoes which are also barefoot/minimalist and are slightly clown-shoe-ish but I don't mind that much. They did not last as long as I had wanted though so I'm looking for another brand and that model is what I'm considering.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

hamsystem posted:

Those are rad, I really like the hexagons and the color.
Thanks!

KingColliwog posted:

How to you like them? I have some Xero shoes which are also barefoot/minimalist and are slightly clown-shoe-ish but I don't mind that much. They did not last as long as I had wanted though so I'm looking for another brand and that model is what I'm considering.

Liking them so far and one thing I didn't realize is the top around the ankle is like an elastic woven material that makes taking the shoes on and off while leaving the laces tied very easy and doesn't deform the shoe permanently. Before this I had merrell minimus (I think they were called? either way no longer made) which were fine although honestly a bit too thin on the soles, these feel a bit thicker without being hiking boot thick like all other normal shoes seem to be. No idea how long they'll last though I think just in general the thinner soled shoes you just have to pay the price of low wear time before they get too slick.

One thing I dislike is they don't seem to offer them in half sizes so I bought a 10 per their size chart (converted from my merrell size) and the fit is tight, it's right on the cusp of being too tight but I think just loose enough that if I were to size up to 11s they could be too big. They have a generous 100 day return policy so I have time to think on this one.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thanks!

Liking them so far and one thing I didn't realize is the top around the ankle is like an elastic woven material that makes taking the shoes on and off while leaving the laces tied very easy and doesn't deform the shoe permanently. Before this I had merrell minimus (I think they were called? either way no longer made) which were fine although honestly a bit too thin on the soles, these feel a bit thicker without being hiking boot thick like all other normal shoes seem to be. No idea how long they'll last though I think just in general the thinner soled shoes you just have to pay the price of low wear time before they get too slick.

One thing I dislike is they don't seem to offer them in half sizes so I bought a 10 per their size chart (converted from my merrell size) and the fit is tight, it's right on the cusp of being too tight but I think just loose enough that if I were to size up to 11s they could be too big. They have a generous 100 day return policy so I have time to think on this one.

Actually the sole is still in perfect condition on my xeros (the way you walk with those seems to be easier on the sole for me) but the "leather" and stuff at the knuckle of my big toe is breaking. Tight minimalist shoes must be weird though, all the extra room seems important. I'll keep that in mind if I order them.

Thanks!

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Where did you get these from?

They’re knockoff vivobarefoots that I wear almost exclusively, but they stopped making the good ones in nice colours

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

You had a 40 foot tall statue?

They stopped caring about the scale in figures and statues long ago and 1/6 just means "about a foot tall".

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Horse Clocks posted:

Where did you get these from?

They’re knockoff vivobarefoots that I wear almost exclusively, but they stopped making the good ones in nice colours

vivobarefoot.com

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Aha. Thought this was the AliExpress thread.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’m going on a trip soon and I wanted a new camera to screw around with while I’m there so I picked up this old Minolta Dimage XT. Takes good pictures, does TIFF, writes to SD cards, all in a metal body.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’m going on a trip soon and I wanted a new camera to screw around with while I’m there so I picked up this old Minolta Dimage XT. Takes good pictures, does TIFF, writes to SD cards, all in a metal body.

I'm honestly curious why.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Glottis posted:

For attention I'm guessing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cameras are cool and it's cool to use one. It's like wondering why someone would wear a watch if they have a phone. Or wondering why someone would want to own a vintage synth instead of just using all the samples from it on a laptop. It's fun to use old tech!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Cameras are cool and it's cool to use one. It's like wondering why someone would wear a watch if they have a phone. Or wondering why someone would want to own a vintage synth instead of just using all the samples from it on a laptop. It's fun to use old tech!

A wristwatch is way way faster than digging out your phone to tell the time. Samples literally cannot sound the same as an analog synth.

Camera vs. phone? IDK. My Samsung is a much better camera than it is a phone.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Glottis posted:

That goon likes buying cameras?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think the question is less "why use a camera lol" and "why use a decidedly inferior and unsexy old digital camera". And the answer is that it's 𝒜 𝑒 𝓈 𝓉 𝒽 𝑒 𝓉 𝒾 𝒸

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah but if you’re going to do that just shoot film and actually get some cool pictures not grainy pixelated game boy camera crap.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Solice Kirsk posted:

:yeah:

I’ve been spending the morning looking online for an old game boy color and camera I can restore and mod.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

3D Megadoodoo posted:

A wristwatch is way way faster than digging out your phone to tell the time. Samples literally cannot sound the same as an analog synth.

Camera vs. phone? IDK. My Samsung is a much better camera than it is a phone.

Camera owning is an exercise in spending increasing amounts of money on accessories to get the good chemicals. Peak Design being a prime example of that. Do I need this strap? No, but I already ordered it.

Phones you can put a case on or one of those grip plug things I guess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

But that camera is the same tech as what the phone has, just worse.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lomography, or, as I prefer to call it, lomarfagry.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I like it. That’s why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Dont shop shame this hipster idiot you fuckin idiot bitches!!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)