Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Peanut President posted:

It's just that to walk from your mailbox to your front door you have to walk around the two car garage. It seems a little weird to hide your house behind a place to store cars.

It's an incredibly common design in planned communities where the architects need to be very efficient with their use of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Keurigs are weirdly expensive and that cup DRM is pretty draconian, but at least that's the worst you can really say about them. People here buy and love overpriced things constantly, and it's not like they're actively making the world worse. I mean, SodaStream has a similar business model (sell the machine, rip people off with proprietary CO2 refills at 10,000% markup), but their company is the direct beneficiary of ongoing war crimes.

There are things to get up in arms about, but products that are a little too wasteful aren't worth the effort.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

This just came in the other day:

Asus VG248QE 24" 144 Hz monitor. I got it because it had great reviews and some of the lowest latency of any display in most reviews. I went in doubting that the 144 Hz mode would even be noticeable, but holy poo poo it's so much smoother.

When I first hooked it up I played a few games, tested a few things and was really happy with the display: lack of ghosting, brightness, color, and all that stuff, but I was kind of disappointed that it didn't look any smoother than a regular LCD. Then I realized it defaulted to 60 Hz mode. I switched it to 144 and even simple things like moving the mouse around the screen were hypnotizing they looked so smooth. Obviously it won't benefit all games, but in things like TF2 where I can get a solid 90 FPS, the difference is stunning. Couldn't be happier with my purchase.

I also bought 48 rolls of toilet paper on Amazon.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

I got these to take out the trash and wear to the pool:

They were on clearance for 50 cents and are super comfortable.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

My wife cleaned our eterninly Cheerioed house with this model. It lasted a year and half of being used a few times a day now so at that price it's not bad.

Those things come with 5-year warranties, so if it crapped out after a year and a half you should be able to get it fixed for free.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

FredLordofCheese posted:

Content:
Got my fiancee a Nomiku sous vide machine at the beginning of the month. I need to bike more to work off all the delicious food I have been eating.

We just had 24 hour slow cooked pork shoulder yesterday and it was jaw droppingly good. We made 10 lbs and shared with friends.
http://www.nomiku.com/

My fiancee and I also took the sous vide dive!

Picked up one of these:

and one of these:

I have never eaten chicken so tender, burgers so delicious, or steak so perfectly cooked. Worth every penny! I made her some steaks on Saturday and we still can't believe we went so many years without one.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

I know nothing about that game, but the X52 has served me dutifully for the past 7 years of flight simming, good choice!

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

The wife's out of town, so I'm keeping myself occupied on this beautiful Saturday...

One of these

Six of these

Two games in one!

And this little beauty on Steam.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

davebo posted:

When you say Yamaha I think sound equipment because I have a sound board of theirs sitting on my desk, and I don't often ride dirtbikes. What people most associate with Yamaha kind of depends on the person you're talking to. The second thing I'd think of are boat engines. Mitsubishi and Fuji are like that too, they make a lot of very different things.

Yeah, when someone says Yamaha I immediately think pianos because of the Yamaha Clavinova. Japanese companies in particular are kind of weird like that - like how Konami, makers of the popular Metal Gear series of video games, made 104 billion yen selling video games and 77 billion yen operating health clubs last year. They tend to be quicker to diversify into completely unrelated industries and dip into a little bit of everything if they can.

I just got this in the mail to give to my brother for Christmas. He's trying to build a 64 collection and we probably dropped over $100 renting this over and over when we were kids.

Sumac has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Dec 22, 2014

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Speaking of whiskey, my wife got me a bottle of 9-year Dickel for Christmas. Her brother and I ended up drinking about half of it that night, but it was some of the best whiskey I've ever had. The only one that really topped it was a 12-year Yamazaki I had a few years ago, back when you could get a bottle of that for just $45 near me. It's shot up to $90 now, which is too far outside of my price range when there are similarly excellent aged American whiskeys for half that.

Sumac has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Dec 29, 2014

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

I wish I could buy shoes and get all huffy about whether or not they're fashionable, but my achilles is super hosed up from a weight-lifting injury 3 years ago and at this point I will dump any amount of money into any shoes that don't feel like red-hot iron on my tendon.

Related purchase:

$600 worth of EPAT treatments in a last-ditch effort to avoid major surgery on my tendon. It's the first thing I've tried in 3 years that has shown any improvement at all. I might be back to lifting next year if all goes well!

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

JEEVES420 posted:

I had a similar treatment on my knee and it was some of the most excruciating pain I have felt. They kept telling me it shouldn't hurt. Come to find out I had a shattered Tibia Plateau and they were literally rattling my bones.

Glad it's helping you, being able to walk without pain is worth the money.

Yup, worst pain I've ever felt too. Doctor told me it's more effective at higher levels, so I had him crank it up as high as possible and he had me point out where on the tendon it hurt the most so he could focus it there. Like you say, totally worth the pain & money to be able to walk without pain again.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Muscle milk is lovely fatty powder. And waaaaaay overpriced. You really should check out the thread in the fitness forum.

Thank you for posting this. I've been a loyal Muscle Milk customer for years out of habit more than anything else, and when you called it lovely I went to the thread to prove you wrong because I can totally get 2.6 lb bags at BJs for $28.

Instead I found a coupon and bought 33 lbs of this:

Not bad for $162, especially since Myprotein has way more protein per pound. From what I hear it tastes pretty good, but I don't mind eating bad-tasting protein powder so I'm not worried.

Here's a link to the deal I found in the powders thead, if anyone else is interested: http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/143672

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

I keep my beard trimmed short, around a 3 guard on my beard trimmer, so it's too soft to need oils. I bought a refill of blades for my razor to keep my neck from turning into coarse-grit sandpaper, though.

I was a little skeptical since they're always getting shilled on podcasts, but they're really drat good blades. Much cheaper than the Mach 3 razor i used to use, and they last a whole lot longer. I'm only shaving my neck and a bit of my above my beard every morning so they're not getting super heavy use, but each cartridge easily lasts me a month.

Harry's shave cream and aftershave moisturizer were lackluster and overpriced. Ordered this from Amazon instead, mostly because I love that cool tingly feeling from the eucalyptus & menthol:

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

I didn't even know about the tub, thanks!

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

That's a Mini Coupe. Have seen them in person and they look really cool, much more so than that picture makes it seem. They look much better then the fat Minis they came out with a couple years ago.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Daimo posted:

The face of a man who doesn't shave. That's some dumb marketing.

The post of a man who doesn't have neck hair.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Shoes, jeans, pens, cars, guns, and razors. My favorite thing about this thread is that no matter what you buy, someone will think you're an rear end in a top hat for buying it.

e: Got a 7x24" red oak sign that reads "The XXXXXs" (where the Xs are my last name) from Nick Offerman's wood shop for my wife's birthday. She wanted a sign like that for the house since we got married, and she loves Parks & Rec and Offerman's standup. He obviously didn't make it himself, but he wrote a nice note about where the wood came from and it turned out much better than I could have done. It's reclaimed barn wood, and it must be really old because it's an incredibly tight grain.

Sumac has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Mar 6, 2015

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Got this because I want to step up to a real racing sim and it turns out iRacing is borderline impossible to play with a 360/PS4 controller. Also because Valve VR & the Rift consumer versions are coming out this fall and I want to be decent at iRacing and Project Cars by then. By all accounts both games work amazingly well with a Rift & steering wheel setup.

I also bought my favorite table in the world in Pinball Arcade because I found out it supports portrait mode so I can turn my monitor sideways and see the full table at once.

Now I can practice at home in between trips to my local pay by the hour arcade. For how much I love pinball, I'm embarrassingly bad at it.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

CaseFace McGee posted:

One of us one of us one of us

If you don't have it, buy the Skip Barber. Once you suck (a bit) less, join us in the iracing thread, and in the GoonCar series where I almost have secured the Season 3 championship as long as I don't massively gently caress up :woop:

We also have two or three teams running the Twelve Hours of Sebring at the end of the month, but you need at least a D4.0 license for that.

Thanks, the wheel gets here in a couple of days and I'll grab the Skip Barber first thing!

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

There's a place near me called Windsor Plywood that would sell the wood and cut and finish it for you for like $20. I dunno if 'Murica has such places though, it's not a drive thru or big box store.

I live in America and there are loads of independent lumber mills and lumber warehouses that are willing to sell in small quantities to individuals, but most of them don't advertise much so most hobbyists don't know about them. My dad just hired a mobile mill to process two massive cherry trees he had to cut down, so I'll be swimming in as much cherry wood as I can handle for the next decade.

e: Those places don't generally sell glued-together planks like that guy's desk, though. It takes an insane amount of time to do that yourself, and if you aren't a Bob Vila-tier home carpenter it's really difficult to glue that together without having any wood glue spill into the surface, which can soak into the grain and make it look really jacked up when you stain it. He's also right that Home Depot charges an unreasonably high price for that, so Ikea is a pretty good option, assuming it's whole wood.

Sumac has a new favorite as of 03:49 on Mar 9, 2015

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

AnimalChin posted:

Logitech G27. It should be here Wednesday.

Whoforthenwhat posted:

Was waiting on reviews on this, so far everyone loves it and I am enjoying it:

Got both of these this week as well, great choices 10/10 would recommend them to everybody.

Skylines is the first great city builder to come out in 12 years, and there's already thousands of mods for it. What a game. The G27 is terrific as well. It (along with iRacing) has taken racing games from something I played once in a while and kind of liked to something I can't stop thinking about. It even makes Euro Truck Sim 2 exciting. Now back to watching videos about understeer and gear selection.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

PCOS Bill posted:

Just get yourself a car with a manual transmission.

Not until after I get myself out of Baltimore. I went from a manual Impreza to a DSG Golf a couple years ago and my only regret is not switching sooner.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

CaseFace McGee posted:

If so, he's gonna need a bigger shifter.

The biggest gripe I have with my Fanatec is the lack of a shifter. They make a cheap shifter set, which looks very frail, and some nice ones that cost a ton. All the other manufacturers that I know of are the same way.

The G27 actually works really well with Euro Truck Sim 2's 12-speed transmissions. You just bind something convenient to a toggle and it can swap between the two sets of gears:

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

If you can afford it and want to retain some degree of control over your gear selection, get yourself something with a Golf/Audi DSG transmission. It's automatic, but all the cars come with sequential paddle shifters. If all you want is greater control, you can shift much faster with the sequential shifters than I ever could with a clutch pedal, and it lets me keep it in drive when I'm going to work in the city so I can devote more focus towards the cars & pedestrians around me. I mentioned this on the last page, but I drove a super fun manual Impreza for years, but I grew up in the country and went to a rural college without much traffic. I took a job in Baltimore and after a year I traded it in for a Golf TDI with a DSG and never looked back.

Manuals are fun, but if you're buying new at a certain point you're just getting a manual because you like your gear shifting minigame. I'm shopping around for a good deal on a used manual Miata to gently caress around in, but I'm under no illusion that it's in any way more practical or safer because it's a manual.

Sumac has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Mar 16, 2015

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

My wife and I got ourselves a pair of silicone rings to wear when we lift. Not 100% to scale.

They're super comfortable and I get to wear a ring at the gym or when doing carpentry at home without worrying about degloving my ring finger. Don't google degloving, btw.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

SaltLick posted:

silicon cock rings sounds...unwise

Don't let me get in the way of your lazy dick joke, but do you actually know the difference between silicone and silicon?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

zVxTeflon posted:

Why cant you just take off the ring during those activities and wear nothing?

I can wear nothing on my finger just fine, thanks for asking. I like wearing something though, and those rings are like ten bucks a pop so I don't see any reason not to.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

bunnielab posted:

I suspect that silicone will still let your finger get jammed and really hosed up if something grabbed it.

Not really. If you think silicone will jam your finger during a deadlift or a pull-up, then you're just being paranoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

bunnielab posted:

You also said "doing carpentry at home". I have some sweet looking scars on my hand from a tool grabbing me so my paranoia is a bit justified.

I think you might be over-estimating the durability of this thing if you think it can jam a finger. We're talking about a flexible, stretchable, silicone ring that fits tight so it adds ~1 mm to the width of my ring finger and can't slip. It lies lower than my knuckles do, so if I've let a tool or an unsecured piece of wood get close enough to touch the ring, it's already shredded my knuckles. You can cut into this thing with a fingernail, to give you an idea of how quickly it'd be destroyed if a saw blade touched it.

I absolutely agree with you if we're talking about metal jewellery because if something grabs your hand a metal ring will make it much, much worse. I have a few scars on my arms from when a piece of sheet metal broke free from a vice, so I totally understand where you're coming from. It's just that a silicone ring is too fragile and flexible and hugs too close to the finger to pose the kind of risk you're talking about.

Sumac has a new favorite as of 15:04 on Mar 25, 2015