Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

beefnoodle posted:

Louis CK tickets for December.

Bought mine a week ago for tonight's show :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Those of you seeing Louis CK in the next couple months are in luck 'cause he did a great 75 mins of new stuff tonight. From what I can tell this was the first big/tour date with this material, it's only going to get tighter, and it was already really, really good.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I spent a bunch of money on a keycap set (+ novelties and ergodox kit) for one of my weird, homemade keyboards.

I also bought some Motive Pure after hearing Derek Waters (of Drunk History) and Katie Nolan talking on a podcast about how it's a miracle hangover preventative. Worth a shot.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah, like 95% of hangover misery comes from dehydration so a saline IV is probably the actual best hangover cure. There are actually a couple Uber-style services (like http://www.hangoverclub.com/) that will come to your house and give you an IV. But since that's loving insane, I'm going with the snake oil electrolyte stuff that probably isn't much better than just remembering to drink the 16-20oz of water you mix into. Like I said though, worth a shot.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Bought 80 cherry mx green keyswitches before thanksgiving and they finally made it to me from Hong Kong. And some vinyl wrap that looks like white carbon fiber. Finally have everything I need to build another ergodox infinity keyboard.

Also bought a week at a resort in the Dominican Republic to wash the taste of 2016 out of my mouth. With rum drinks.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

prom candy posted:

Which resort?

Excellence in Punta Cana. We stayed at the Iberostar a couple years ago and liked it but Excellence was a bit cheaper this year and reviews were about equal.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

treiz01 posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a problem spending money on headphones. I just bought some Sennheiser HD 598 C's because they were on sale. I just bought V-modas two months ago what's wrong with me?

How are the VModas? I've been considering a pair of their wireless for my next (headphone jack-less) iPhone.

I started going down the dark and endless road that you guys are on but caught myself and just bought a couple pairs of Sony MDR-7506 instead.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

That's fuckin cool.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

What pillows y'all rocking I've dropped at least $200+ on various pillows over the years and just can't seem to find one that my neck fully agrees with. I did the contour thing a while ago--but my neck seemed to prefer a regular fluffy pillow--looks like I should try one of those again

I did some comparison shopping on pillows last week. Narrowed it down to either the Casper pillow or Nest Bedding's Easy Breather. The Casper has a firm pillow wrapped in a softer pillow, the Nest has microfiber memory foam (latex microfiber also available) and a zipper on the side so you can easily remove filling to dial it in to preference. I went Nest, should be here in a couple days, I'll report back.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is there a thread or any good source of info about the Google Home? All my poo poo is Apple integrated pretty intensely but I can't help but be intrigued by the thought of yelling at a robot to make my lights purple or turn off lamps.

Home Automation and Security Systems

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I got my Nest Bedding pillow the other day and so far really like it. Queen size shredded memory foam Easy Breather. It's a big upgrade over the sculpted block of memory foam pillow I had before. Out of the box it felt about right for back/side sleeping, since I'm a side/stomach sleeper I took about 15-20% of the memory foam out and that seems about perfect for me.

Not sure that'd I'd recommend it unreservedly since the price point's a bit high compared to other shredded memory foam pillows on the market but I'm happy with my purchase.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Josh Lyman posted:

Smdh how do you not go with the rye?

This guy knows whats up. Bulleit bourbon is good, the rye is drat good. Makes a killer old fashioned too, just add a bit more sugar if you need it. Or do a horse's neck: rye, ginger beer, dash of bitters, lemon peel.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Turkey Farts posted:

I've tried the rye but not the bourbon yet. Should I just for the hell of it? I still daydream about how good the rye is so idk.

The bourbon is sweeter and maybe a bit smoother, the rye has more cedar and pepper flavors. They're both really good for the price, just a matter of how much you like sweetness.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

i bought a new av

Me too!

Also a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers boots. Currently they are more torture device than footwear but in a month or so they should be broken in and awesome.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

strangemusic posted:

Haptic vibrating sex toy metronome:

Neat, I didn't realize such a thing existed. Is it distracting? What do you play? If guitar, which wrist do you wear it on? Link?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Imagine, if you can, a world where "PCOS bill" didn't have to threadshit with lazy /r/the_donald trolling every opportunity he gets.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

colas posted:

What should I try next if I've tried the other bottom shelf stuff as well as Jack/Jim/Crown but want to stay under $50?

WL Weller. 12-year old should be about $30 for a fifth; Special Reserve around $25. The 12yo comes from the same stock (Buffalo Trace) as Pappy Van Winkle for about a twentieth of the price. Unless you can get 12yo Van Winkle for its $70 MSRP (but you can't).

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Josh Lyman posted:

What about actual Buffalo Trace?

Google "bourbon family tree", there's a great GQ infographic. There are only about 12 different stocks, each with a few age brackets. Weller 12 and Van Winkle 12 both come from the same 10yo Buffalo Trace stock (though the Van Winkle is usually "best" and Weller "2nd best"). Actual Buffalo Trace comes from their 4yo stock.

I like Buffalo Trace though but it's not a favorite.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Bottom Liner posted:

I just leave mine at a comfortable temperature and never have to adjust. I don't get it.

Do you leave it set at the same temp when no one's home 8 hours/day? I have a couple Nests and don't think they're that great. A dumb programmable thermostat can do most of what they do if you're willing to spend time setting up the schedule in a lovely UI. But there's still a huge convenience and energy bill difference between leaving your house at seventy or whatever 24/7/365 and being able to tap around in a decent app to do poo poo like "during the summer set to 78 at 8:30a when I leave for work and start cooling to 72 at 5:30p so it's cool when I get home from work and at midnight when I go to bed drop to 70 but if I want to go to bed early and walk by the motion sensor in the bedroom before midnight go ahead and start cooling but on the weekends I sleep in so...".

The best things about it are the motion sensor (which is contingent on thermostat placement) and the ability to set AWAY mode from your phone when you go on vacation and realize that your empty house is being heated/cooled.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I got curious and did some googling and couldn't find a straightforward answer but the gist seems to be that if you have a fairly modern house that's fairly well insulated and a fairly efficient HVAC system; it's more efficient and cheaper to program than to leave it at a constant temperature. This may not apply if you have geothermal heating or live in a weird climate or...

I don't have any hard data to back it up and don't know if my energy rates have changed but I'm pretty sure the Nests knocked something like 15-30% off my energy/gas bill.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Bought a patch for my backpack. Autist or edgelord, you decide!

Also bought a shitload of delicious szechuan food and had a feast with some friends last night.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Those grandma keycaps are horrifying and kinda awesome.

I finally got my 2nd Ergodox built and put a Granite set on it. Since this pic I've put HC (darker) Granite icon mods around the thumb clusters and on the bottom left row. Still need another blank spacebar and a second red escape key but it's getting close to perfect.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

H110Hawk posted:

How do you do issue control/alt/meta? For a moment I thought you were insane with []{} on the lower most row like that, then I saw them right in the middle.

There are some placeholder keys in that pic that aren't correctly labeled. Meta keys are mostly the small keys around the thumb clusters and in the bottom row of each half. I've since put more accurate keycaps on most of those but it's at work and I don't have a current pic.

It also has multiple keymap layers so if I hit the big Fn keys in the middle, the LCD backlight changes color to show which layer I'm on and it does neat stuff like turn the right side into a numpad, thumb clusters into media keys, JKL; and WASD into arrow keys, etc.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Nice. Very nice. I don't think i could ever justify the cost but you do you and enjoy, it's a baller timepiece.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Mu Zeta posted:

I rip through my socks every couple months and it sucks. I bought some Darn Tough socks but they are too thick. I like mine to be really thin. Does anyone make thin and tough socks? I walk a lot.

Also curious which Darn Toughs you got. Their cushioned stuff is obviously pretty thick, I have a couple pairs I wear with boots, but the stuff in their Lifestyle section that says Light (not Cushioned Light) should be fine. I have like 9 pairs of their Warlock and they're thinner than most plain white athletic socks. Also have a couple pairs of their no-show ultra lights from the Running section of their site and they're even thinner.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Mu Zeta posted:

I have "Darn Tough No Show Ultralight."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DWVS1S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It feels much thicker than my favorites

Wow. You like really thin socks then. Respect, but I have no suggestions for you.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

betterinsodapop posted:

Got this white noise machine because my neighbor is a white trash piece of poo poo who runs a gasoline powered generator 24/7.
The brand is LectroFan, and they are $40-50 in the US.

I just got one of these too after staying in an AirBnB that had one. Great for drowning out street traffic and taking the edge off my wife's snoring.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Clontarf is a really good Irish Whiskey too if you want to branch out. They also make a really good single malt Irish Whiskey but I don't think it's available in the US.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Opioid posted:

I don't get the appeal of shatter. The patients we see come in with psychosis from it take up to a week to clear. :shrug:
Even meth doesn't take you out of commission that long.

We're talking about THC concentrates, right? Who the gently caress has psychotic episodes stemming from weed? Is that really a thing?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Keeping the keyboard chat going, finally got the Godspeed keycaps I ordered like a year ago and put them on one of my Ergodoxes. The keys aren't all correctly labeled and I'm going to have to track down some blanks to really get it finished but good enough for now.

I use cherry greens in an open office and dgaf. If you can't stand my glorious click clacks buy some headphones :dealwithit:

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Coffee And Pie posted:

Bought these at goodwill, Nike SB "Tecate." Got em for $12, and they retailed for $250. Already up for sale on eBay lol

I'm by no means a sneaker head and am happy to wear navy blue adidas campus every day for the rest of my miserable life but those kicks are sick af

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

On Prime day I got a couple pairs of Levi's 559.

Today I bought my brother a Kingston HyperX Cloud II gaming headset as a going away/housewarming gift so we can play more games together now that he lives a few hours away.

Today I also bought a bunch of hard candy in my search for something to satisfy my oral fixation now that I've finally quit smoking. Cavendash & Harvey drops (Mixed Fruit, Wild Berry, Sour Cherry, and Pear & Blackberry), Reed's Butterscotch, and those green and white key lime discs that Mexican restaurants have.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

null_pointer posted:

Dragging this post back from a few pages back, but how much was this setup, all told? The keycaps, themselves, on Massdrop seem pretty pricey, yet they're really striking!

It's...not a cheap hobby. $209 for the Ergodox Infinity kit from Massdrop with no keycaps, an hour or two of soldering, and another $137 for keycaps; so about $350 for this build.

If you just add on a blank keycap set to the Massdrop buy you can get a fully functional kit for about $250 but you'll still need to build/solder it. Alternately, if you don't gently caress with soldering, you can buy a prebuilt Ergodox EZ for about $270-355 depending on options.

On an unrelated note, I solicited recommendations for good hard candy from the thread a few weeks ago. Ordered and tried a ton of stuff that was suggested (and a bunch that wasn't suggested) and have found my favorites. Honorable mentions go to Kopiko coffee candy and goon-run Raley's Confectionary. My favorites though:

Reed's Butterscotch. Like the best butter rum Lifesavers ever. Complex butterscotch flavor with enough salt to make the flavor pop. Also, individually wrapped.

Key Lime discs. Several people suggested these as "those green and white candies that Mexican restaurants have". I've never been to a Mexican restaurant that has them but these things are great. Lime with a hint of creamy/coconut flavor. A bit artificial tasting but really good and relatively cheap compared to my other favorites.

Cavendish & Harvey Pear and Blackberry drops. Holy. loving. poo poo. Best candy I've ever had. Both the pear and the blackberry drops are insanely good but the pear is legit the best candy I've ever eaten. Their other flavors that I've tried (lemon, orange, sour cherry) are all very good but the pear and the blackberry are on a whole other level. These things are pretty loving expensive and inconvenient to carry around (big-rear end metal tin, not individually wrapped, and covered in powdered sugar so they don't stick together) but I really can't overstate how good they are.

E: oops, it wasn't this thread that I asked for candy suggestions in, it was PYF Products and Requests for Products thread. Guess I'll xpost this there as well.

Lawen has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Jul 26, 2017

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

null_pointer posted:

Christ. How do you like the Ergodox, with regard to the actual -- you know -- ergonomics? I have a Chinese knock-off split keyboard with wrist rest that I like, but those Godspeed keycaps are drool-inducing. Also: how long after a massdrop, uhh, drops, do you actually get the product? You said it took a friggin' year?

The Godspeed keycaps took almost a year; I think they have the actual Ergodox kits down to 4-6 weeks to ship on the most recent drops. They're also about to do a drop on an XDA profile Godspeed set; I don't like the colors quite as much but the flatter XDA profile is saner for the Ergodox. I may end up buying another set of the XDA and selling off the SA Godspeeds I currently have.

As for the ergonomics...I really like them. I'd been using Microsoft Natural ergonomic/split keyboards for, like, 15+ years previously so the adjustment wasn't bad all. I was probably back up to normal typing speed within a week or two of switching. The big benefits for me (other than mechanical switches instead of rubber domes) are offloading common keys that are usually pinky keys (enter, backspace) to the thumb clusters and also being able to move the two halves further apart so that my elbows/forearms/wrists are all at straight/right angles and not pointed inward. The other nice thing (though not Ergodox-specific) is having multiple layers -- so layer0 is my normal keymap, layer1 has all of my media and Function keys, layer2 has a numpad, and layer3 is a weird layer where I put all of the keys most needed for gaming on just the left half so that when I play games I can just move the right half out of the way and scoot my mouse over, keeping my arms straight.

It could be confirmation bias since I've dumped a lot of time and money into them but I liked my first one enough that the one I posted previously is actually my 2nd and I have one for home and one for work now. My other one looks pretty baller too, if I say so myself (but also needs to be cleaned):

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why not just eat some wasabi with almonds and drink some soy sauce?

Nut convenience

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

bongwizzard posted:

I bought like 12 pairs of ExOfficio boxerbriefs like 4-5 years ago and they are all still going strong. It has been 100% worth the money so far.

Same but 2 years ago

Mu Zeta posted:

The ExOfficio ones are meant to be travel boxers that you can wash quickly in the sink or something and it dries in a few hours. Gross.

Yeah but also means your wet undies from your sweaty balls dry a lot faster (unlike cotton). Also they have an amazing ability to reduce ball stank

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Mister Kingdom posted:

Because I can never have enough copies of this album:

40th anniversary of ELO's Out of the Blue 2-LP picture disc. Ordered now, should get it in December.

This is dope and Jeff Lynne's a fuckin genius

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

AnimalChin posted:

I've tried almost all of the underwear listed in this thread and Obviously makes the best ones by a huge margin.

I respect someone willing to do the Pepsi challenge, buy one of each, compare them dispassionately, and choose the best one. I'd love to know why you chose these and why they're better than my unflattering but otherwise perfect ExOfficios.

Also, that's a pretty intense product photo. Are these designed specifically for uncircumcised men?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Bottom Liner posted:

Gonna be in Indy for a week and a half, so I bought some tickets

Gencon

This but instead of Magic, board game library ticket (also on Lucas Oil field, I think) plus They Might Be Giants tickets. Also a couple :420: vape cartridges for GenCon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh, been wanting to try that. Share :v:

Did they move the game library? Last year they just banished the cosplayers and True Dungeon to Lucas Oil and the Library was in one of the medium halls in the ICC.

Sharing for sure; I'm usually around JW/HV and am going to try to make a point of kicking it with goons this year, I've been bad about that the last couple years.

They have the lending library location marked as "Lucas Oil :: Field". Sounds like they're moving a bunch of stuff to the stadium this year, not just TD.