Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
20-30 kg of stainless steel from the scrap yard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
100 kilos of scrap steel:

Doesn't look like 100kg but we weighed it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ok lets not contribute to the derail.

Well I bought I drive belt.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Replacement whisk for our immersion blender, it's many years old, nice that spares can be had still.

Oh and some Meguiars ScratchX and PlastX.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

One of these (19cm or 7½"):

And one of these:

Made locally, for traditional finnish rye bread (in my region of the country anyway)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

One of these

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I bought....

One 35x150mm round bar of pure PTFE

One 2nd hand 27mm spiral reamer

A set of telescoping gages for ID measurement

And two kilos of flour!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Shut up Meg posted:

Go on...I'll bite:

Are you making reusable snorting tubes for coke and the flour is for testing?

Sadly nothing so exciting, just a collection of the stuff I actually bought most recently.

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

Is that a bag of flour with what appears to be a picture of salt on it?

Those buns are sweet instead of savory and the thing you probably think is salt is sugar.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

-buncha bearings for the gearbox in my milling machine

-broach and bushing so I can broach larger key way slots.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's not a done deal yet, but if it checks out, it'll be my latest purchase.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

A clapped out Bridgeport? Nice.

No it's a drill press. Madein Sweden by Arboga. My clapped out mill is a deckel.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Inzombiac posted:

I bought a wet/sharpening stone because all of my kitchen knives were getting dangerously dull.

I had a stone before and, after watching a video on the subject, realized I was doing it wrong.

You supposed to submerge the stone for about 10 minutes first, not just sprinkle some water on top.

Now everything is razor sharp and ready to gently caress up some flank steak.

That depends on the type of stone. Some are not supposed to use water at all but oil instead, some are only supposed to have some water on top. Diamond hones can use whatever, even dry.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

No it will not. People that don't wash their cast iron are gross. A properly seasoned pan will have the oil polymerized and it will take a hell of a lot more than a little soap to strip it.

I scrape my pans constantly, always use a metal spatula and I scrape and scrape when cooking, both to loosen stuff that sticks but it also slowly smooths out the metal and it gets rid of any spot of seasoning that is not well adhered, it's kinda like survival of the fittest.

Some soap and scrubbing is nothing when a metal spatula can't get it off. Though wipe it with oil afterwards as the soap makes it prone to rusting if not very dry.

e: I'm sorry did I arrive too late for this discussion?

His Divine Shadow has a new favorite as of 14:01 on Jan 20, 2020

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Cylindrical baking molds

For making Runeberg tarts (finnish tradition):

Almond (including bitter almond) based tarts with rum or arrack flavour.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

A fire extuingisher. After the kids set fire to the inside of a drawer and almost burned the house down.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah well lots of things that make sense aren't done by people until they've had a scare. In this case I was able to just pour water on it, only thing damaged was a piece of furniture we where going to throw away anyway.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I also have one, since 2007-8 maybe. It's great, in that it just works and never breaks like my old machines used to. I only use cheap preground coffee though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I bought tools.

Stuff like this is why I only got an SSD equipped computer in 2019. And it's a 2nd hand PC from 2012. My previous one was a home build from 2007.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

For my mill that I spent the last 16 months restoring and repairing, it takes SK 40 taper tooling:

(I made real t-nuts and hold downs for my little vise, I hope to get a bigger one later, as payment for a simple project)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Some old german roughing end mills and some books.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I bought a 2nd hand laser printer, 20 euros for this black & white only Brother HL-2240D. Good enough for me, we print very little and our old inkjet always dried up.

Only thing I don't like is no ethernet port. But you can apparently buy small dedicated print servers now, USB to Wireless. Might do that, just use the my own PC as server for now.

Also bought:

New pressure switch for my compressor.

New motor for my shopvac.

Acid brushes

Dovetail cutter for the mill (cheapo chinese stuff, half suspect it will break at once)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

My SO bought this from a local builder, he was over last night and built it. Finally, a place to store more tools.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Moo the cow posted:

What the the hoops on the left?

They're a bit loose right now (each end is supposed to be stuck down into the ground) but their purpose is to spread out the bird protection net over the strawberry patch

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Oxygen degreaser, for getting stuff really really clean from anything that'll touch pure O2.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jeza posted:

A refreshing glass of milk

Feels like is is a reference that went over my head.

Also I misspoke, for any surfaces that'll touch O2, not from. For refurbishing my fathers old oxy acetylene sets.

Clean (but not pure oxygen clean)

I got two kits actually, one with a black handle that is more modern

I'll put this stuff in the ultrasonic cleaner with deionized water (3-5% solution) and clean out all the parts. Then it should be clean as hell.

His Divine Shadow has a new favorite as of 12:04 on Jun 9, 2020

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

silence_kit posted:

The packaging for your industrial cleaner looks like the packaging for small amounts of milk that you can buy in convenience stores in the US.

Ah, it's all tetra packs here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I bought....

A 20 liter oxygen cylinder!

A 40x40mm bar of cast iron!

A plasma cutter (chinese)!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Oh 300mm. Will be used for making leadscrew nuts and half nuts.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

H110Hawk posted:

The scary part is the cheap Chinese plasma cutter (designed and quality controlled in Germany!) :flame: which is saying something given how terrifying oxygen is. Got some acetylene? :v:

I felt like that post got better the more I read.

Well the plasma cutter and oxygen are not related.

Well sorta. I will use both of them to cut stuff, the oxygen will be an oxy propane setup for cutting thicker stuff, heating, burninating and brazing.

Woulda liked a proper not chinese plasma cutter but even used, any decent quality ones are like a thousand euros... I did find one that looked kinda interesting but it was single phase only so little use to me who don't have american sized single phase fuses (max 16A, maybe 25A if I hook up right at my junction box) so I need a 3 phase model so I can utilize it fully.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Got a new lawn mower. A decent one this time. Honda HRX217vla

Did one pass so far and it's a very, very nice mower. I bought this piece of poo poo last year...

I liked the idea of AWD and the Honda engine but that thing was just god awful. The AWD belt system is problematic and a pain in the rear end to service. The small, hard plastic wheels were poo poo on the banked parts of the yard and the belt would constantly pop off the drive pulley in any kind of thick grass.

The Honda engine on that Husqvarna is the only thing that was any good on that thing. My advice to anyone that wants to buy lawnmower for anything other than a postage stamp sized lawn is spend the money and get a Honda or something else good. Home Despot level mowers are poo poo.

I too want a new mower, or a use one that works. I really hate my Stiga SQ 47 B. Gearbox is worn out or something and I no longer have any drive. It was hellish to mow my size lawn without drive.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I really liked Lagavullin, last time I bought it was in 2008 or 2009 when it was 65 euros a bottle, since then it jumped to 90 euros and now is just more expensive. So I haven't had any since 2010 or so and I probably never will buy another bottle. Frankly all the single malts have gotten really expensive in Finland lately and I have stopped buying them. Last I bought was Caol Ila at 40 euros, now at 60. I just stop buying things like that when they get too expensive. But I am like that, I felt it got too expensive too fast and I just stopped cold and moved on with my life. I think my whisky days are behind me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Nothing goes better with hard liquor than a gas powered spinning blade machine.

That's what beer is for, sweet sweet cheap bulk beer. Definitely wanna take up brewing some day though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

A small chest freezer.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I bought

A scythe blade

A vice

Another vice (and a pair of tongs)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

An anvil, made in the 19th century.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

colas posted:

where'd you find that?

Joined a local whatsapp group for people interested in smithing

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

What a very interesting and odd purchase! Are you gonna hammer poo poo on it or keep it for looks

Gonna use it to hammer on hot metal, once I build a forge, once I build the house to put the forge in (casting the foundation now)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I bought two meters of red plastic pipe:

Then I bought one wall paper remover (steam generator) to go with the above. Steam bending wood!

One of these hand wheel truck thingies (diy gas welding cart)

500 grams of silica gel (loving moisture!)

One chainsaw replacement carburetor (loving stihl!)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I bough a 25kg (50lbs) bag of coke!

The boring climate changing sort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Slimy Hog posted:

What are you gonna do with it?

OSU_Matthew posted:

Is this getting used in a backyard forge for some metallurgical projects?

Yeah, blacksmithing!