Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Finally made it to a game, so in addition to a ton of beer I bought this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Cuniculous posted:

My new comforter got here today :D

Where'd you get it?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Layout, content, and design far outweigh the importance of fancy paper though. I've never used anything aside from regular paper.

You'll have better luck with right resume, regular paper than left resume fancy paper.

LooksLikeABabyRat has a new favorite as of 19:59 on Aug 27, 2014

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Maybe, but a little design helps your resume stand out among all of the other ones that all look like the left one.

Go with something more muted if you want, but a pop of color and some contrast can go a long way.

LooksLikeABabyRat has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Aug 27, 2014

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Different strokes I guess.

We should probably stop derailing the recent purchases thread with resume talk.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

sports posted:

You're supposed to have a boring layout. The actual content is supposed to make you stand out. The one on the right means that you're a lovely hire and need some sort of facade to stand behind.

Maybe that's why unemployment rates are so high.

Last thing I'll say on the topic: obviously having a flashy résumé isn't going to do you much good for a law firm, but a lot of places now do actually like a résumé that stands out. That's how I got my job in tech (mine was a little more understated than the example, but I did use a few spots of grayish-purple). A lot of people I know have used a similar tactic with great results.

Obviously if your writing is sloppy or you have poo poo for experience design isn't going to help you much.

On topic:

I bought a fuel filter for my motorcycle because I accidentally melted the old one. I also bought a new rotor for the bike because my whole electrical system burned out at once.

LooksLikeABabyRat has a new favorite as of 05:39 on Aug 28, 2014

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Preordered:

I got a $75 discount since my friend works for Sony too!

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

NotAnArtist posted:

Hella jelly brah

That white is sweet.

I love the white by itself. Too bad my furniture is all dark... I'm an idiot.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Just because your contract is up doesn't mean you have to renew it. They just continue charging you the same rate. It's like living month to month in a rental after your lease is up.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Hopefully it's good??

It's excellent.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Got a pair of Polk audio monitor 4s for $10.50. They're great.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Awesome new shirt.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

I bought it in person but it seems to be available here. http://www.ebxloakal.com/products/rickey-henderson-mens-t

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

Phone case for my phone. In reality, it's about 100 times brighter than in the picture, which is okay with me because bright coral is my favorite color.

Anyone with a new phone should look into Elago for their case.
I bought this one for the last 3 iterations of iPhones I've had (just got it for my iPhone 6 actually).

I'm clumsy and drop my phone occasionally and I've never had the phone get damaged.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Unbranded 201 jeans

Levi's commuter jacket in forest night

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Just bought this for the best man at my wedding.

Available here: http://futurezine.storenvy.com/products/10507797-son-of-a-bitch-patch

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Speaking of whiskey, I just bought a handle of this.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

1redflag posted:

I love buffalo trace (and highly recommend Eagle Rare, their step-up brand), but God Damnit if the size on the mouth on the Buffalo Trace handle doesn't make it a pain in the rear end to pour (especially into a flask). You could almost fit a golf ball down the neck.

Agreed. I put it in my whiskey decanter even though it's not that fancy expressly to solve that problem.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

XIII posted:

A friend got me that for Christmas. I'm looking forward to reading it after I finish one or two of the books I'm currently juggling.

Give it some time to grow on you. When it gets going, it gets CRAZY.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

NotAnArtist posted:

I don't know why HoL gets so much hate, it's my favorite book. Well written, great story.

SUPER weird

I don't get how people couldn't like it. It's fantastic and totally different.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Yay work bonus!

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

strangemusic posted:

About to spend a whole bunch on concert tickets:

Belle and Sebastian/Perfume Genius and Stars/Hey Rosetta. even though I kind of hate Hey Rosetta I'm happy to go see Stars anytime.

I bought tickets to see Belle and Sebastian as well. It'll be my first time at the Greek in Berkeley.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

A second SLR: Nikon EM. They're sort of weird because they shoot in aperture priority mode only, but I wanted a lightweight camera to carry around all the time.

And a Pointer Chore coat because they were on sale.

LooksLikeABabyRat has a new favorite as of 01:34 on Feb 2, 2015

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Couldn't pass up Vans with flowers and Yoda.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

That's cool. If I just heard "Star Wars shoes," I'd think of something a lot more garish and on-the-nose, but these just read as a floral print at a distance, and I appreciate the restraint.

Yeah, they're definitely not "flying the nerd flag." Subtle in nerdiness if a bit loud otherwise.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

So expensive, but I couldn't help it.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Tickets to this

And this:

Both will be firsts for my little sister.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Edit: accidental double post

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

I've used a double edged razor for awhile now, and I only cut myself when I'm not paying enough attention to what I'm doing, or if my blades are old.

I think the problem is a lot of people think you're supposed to shave in both directions. For example, on your neck, people think you're supposed to go with the hair, and then back against it. That usually is what causes the cuts. If you just go with the grain (and go back through for another pass the same way if necessary) you should be ok.

The single best part is getting 100 blades for $30 and using them for 2-3 years. The barrier to entry is even pretty low with getting the actual safety razor. I've bought two Gillette models from the 50's on ebay for $15 and they both work great (bought the second as a gift for a friend).

This helps for the occasional knick btw:

LooksLikeABabyRat has a new favorite as of 04:24 on Feb 23, 2015

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Crain posted:

I don't think I'm going to bother risking extra shaves just yet so I'll be tossing them every time.

I keep a beard, so I only ever shave my neck. 3-4 times of that seems ok for me before I throw them out.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Trabant posted:

Music, courtesy of Bandcamp and the stoner metal thread:

I just bought this too. Owns.

I also picked up this bad boy today. Can't wait to hook it up at home.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

getsuga posted:

I bought a bag for work :)

Link?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Reverse Centaur posted:

IKEA's minimalist designs are getting a bit ridiculous.

Yeah you could have gotten the same thing cut to order at Home Depot.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

I want all of these.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

I just signed a lease in San Diego (and spent a ton doing so)!

I'm a bit nervous because it's a tad smaller than our current place and I don't know many people in SD, but I'm stoked to be saving over $400/mo over my rent in the Bay Area and I'm excited to never have to ride BART again.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

NotAnArtist posted:

Those would be sprinklers, yes.

Yeah, just in case of fire.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

NotAnArtist posted:

Looks lile you've got a ton of windows, which would be awesome unless it's western facing in which case I hope you've got AC or really good fans

The majority of the windows face North (and the trolley). The ones on the far side face East.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

I bought a pair of beat up Allen Edmonds Park Avenues at the thrift store for $16

and had them repaired at the local cobblers for $55.

Thus getting a pair of ~$400 shoes for $75ish.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

SaltLick posted:

That's awesome. I really need to head to the local good will sometime since I'm smack dab in the middle of a super wealthy area surrounding me

Doesn't even need to be a good neighborhood necessarily. I bought these in a Goodwill just outside of Oakland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Goodwills in nicer areas do tend to have better stuff in general though.

Definitely.

Though for me so far it's been frequency > location.