Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I really shouldn't buy this until next summer, but prices are slated to increase this summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

NovaLion posted:

All to attend Distant Worlds in Toronto on December 6th!
Why did you get a lovely Express suit when you're getting a nice pair of $365 shoes and $4500 watch? :negative:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

NovaLion posted:

I suppose because I don't know anything about suits? And I'm just now discovering the suit thread. Hind sight, I guess, but I like the way way this one looks.
The most important thing to remember is NEVER take at face value the appearance of a shirt or jacket on a model. The clothes are ALWAYS pinned behind their backs with safety pins to look good.

Since your concert isn't until December, if you have an Express locally that you can return stuff to, I would strongly encourage that. There are 3 main reasons:

1) Express is the Beats by Dre of men's clothing. Just as Beats is overpriced and sound bad, Express is overpriced and poor quality, even at 30% off.

2) In addition to the outer fabric and inner lining, suit jackets have a middle layer of horsehair canvas that give them structure and conform to your body over time. Cheap suits, like what Express sells, skip this canvas layer and simply glue a lining to the outer fabric. This means that when you get the suit pressed or dry cleaned, there's a good chance that ripples will form in the fabric from the glue. But even before that, it won't drape very well.

3) The suit is a wool/cotton blend - this is bad, not least because cotton wrinkles very easily. For your first suit (or any non-specialty suit), you want something that's 100% wool. That doesn't mean it will be hot or scratchy like a Christmas sweater though - the wool used for suits is fine and smooth.

The reason I'm pleading with you is because you bought Park Avenues when you could have gotten $50 dress shoes from DSW, and you bought a Speedmaster Professional when you could have gotten a $50 Timex. If you're going to buy nice accessories, why sabotage them by buying the suit equivalent of $50 crap?

When the suit comes in, try it on and post photos in the suit megathread. They'll be able to give you recommendations for something you can be proud to own.

Josh Lyman has a new favorite as of 14:34 on May 13, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Xenoletum posted:

Or you can let the dude just buy what he likes and learn from his mistakes. I like express shirts, especially for more casual wear. I've worn other brands and they all have things that nag me about them.
Casual shirts are one thing. I mean, all my dress socks are from Express. But a proper suit, especially your first suit? That's a whole different matter.

quote:

No need to go and type out a novel to explain to someone why he should return the thing he likes. Do people know they can get higher end stuff? Yes. Do they care? No. Why? Because it's not Beats by Dre.
He doesn't actually "like" it though, he just thinks it looks good on the model, but of course it's going to look good on the model. He admits that he doesn't know much about suits, so why not start things the right way? The only, ONLY situation where it's acceptable for someone with the means to buy $345 shoes and a $4500 watch to buy an Express suit is if it fits him better than literally every other suit on the market. The quality simply isn't there.

It's one thing if he didn't buy expensive shoes and a luxury watch, but he did. Getting a bad suit when you've clearly demonstrated an interest in quality and the means to pay for it is literally like buying a Big Mac to eat with your $300 bottle of wine.

quote:

Edit: I get upset when I see my friends buying AMD chips because it has sixteen cores or whatever, when they're never going to need anything of the sort, but I don't go off on them to that degree.
AMD CPUs aren't a bad idea because they have "too many cores". They're a bad idea because they're poor performance per dollar compared to Intel chips.

This isn't 2002. Friends don't let friends buy AMD CPUs.

Josh Lyman has a new favorite as of 17:26 on May 13, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

New glasses to replace my old ones that broke, $36 from Zenni. Screw the eyewear industrial complex.

Josh Lyman has a new favorite as of 11:58 on May 16, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Are you planning a school shooting? :wtc:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

colas posted:

rwd, inline 6?
Bro, do you even know anything about the M series?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have Nike running tights that work well as long underwear in cold weather, but they don't have a fly and that's incredibly annoying. These Under Armour ColdGear tactical leggings were on clearance for $25, so I picked up a pair in OD green; black was sold out in large :smith:.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

strangemusic posted:

That tag line can't be real. Tell me it's not real.

:negative:
It is very real: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fault_in_Our_Stars_(film)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

100% Dundee posted:

What if he likes the way it looks though? I know its a crazy thing to consider that people might buy things they like instead of consulting some internet forums first but sometimes, just sometimes, it happens.

Also, don't shop shame.
That's the watch equivalent of an Ed Hardy shirt. So if you're friends with those kinds of people, I guess it's fine.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pitch posted:

I bought boring but impeccable shoes.

And now I have to return them because they're slightly too snug and Amazon doesn't sell EE width.
Allend Edmonds = conservative silhouettes. That's why my black cap toes are TBNY.

(also they were $72 at Saks Off 5th :shobon: )

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Those Stan Smiths are amazing. Too bad my feet are too wide.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Phaeoacremonium posted:

I think the last time I bought anything for my kitchen was around 2008. Just finally got a nice heavy cast iron pan:

I also got an induction cooker, but I'm still waiting for it to show up.
Isn't this a wok?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

J. Crew is more my style, but Banana Republic has 50% off select styles, 40% everything else today only. It stacks with 25% off from email signup, so I got 62.5% off the following items:

I primarily own colorful dress socks, but these have tennis racquets!

Casual belt to wear with jeans:

Finally cuff links for <$15:

First knit tie:

Also khaki shorts:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Had to register on a specialty forum to get advice and pulled the trigger on this:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

muike posted:

climate controlled violin case?
Almost.

rockcity posted:

Is that a violin case with a hygrometer?
Bingo. I could put in a humidifer and then it would be climate controlled, but many say that's a bad idea since there will be a humidity shock once you open the case.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've owned these sandals to wear around the house for a dozen years:

My current pair is falling apart, but $30 seemed like too much for house shoes, so I decided to give these a try for $17:

edit: v They're ugly, but I had a hard budget cap of $20 and they might be the most comfortable thing ever.

Josh Lyman has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Aug 27, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

RCarr posted:

Just... don't wear them out of the house. For your own sake. For all of us.
I don't even wear my adilettes beyond my driveway and mailbox. Even for a quick grocery store/food run, I'll at least switch into my leather sandals. Which, incidentally, are Ocean Minded, a Crocs brand. :stare:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

JEEVES420 posted:

Wouldnt this be promoting bad habits? I slice off to the left (lefty hitter) 70% of the time but if I adjusted the club and not my swing then that 30% I swing correctly would be off.

I havent played a game of golf since I was a teenager and have only recently played top golf a few times.
It falls to the golfer to not use a club's adjustable to mask a swing fault, though in general adjustability is minor compared to the massive swing faults that most golfers have.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PleasusChrist posted:

Silver/White iPhone 6 128GB. I've only ever had black iPhones so I figured I'd switch it up. It should be here Friday.

I thought about the same color switch, even to gold, but I decided to go with black since it's less ostentatious. Also went with the base 16GB model for $199:

Actually, the back looks a lot more grey than the black has been in the past.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

IUG posted:

I, too, just ordered the grey iPhone. I went for the 128 gig version as I have a lot of music. It was $399 on the two year contract with AT&T. They had a next plan, which turned out to be a ripoff. Basically you pay for the phone over time instead of up front. But it was $36 for 2 years, so $36 x 24 = $864.
Next is just a way to pay for the phone. It's not the service plan, which are called Mobile Value Share, but they're related through a rate credit, which I explain below. You don't have to give up your old plan, but you probably want to unless you have unlimited data.

Through the iPhone 3GS, you could tack on unlimited data for $30 to an existing, cheap voice plan. Starting with the 4, there was an interstitial period where carriers got rid of unlimited data, moved to combined voice/data plans, and raised prices. In the last year, they've switched to Next/Value Share, which is better than the interstitial period for many people. Instead of subsidizing the cost of the phone into the rate plan, you pay for the full unsubsidized price of the phone ($650 base model), but it's spread over 20/24 monthly payments. After 12/18, however, you can trade in your old phone and get a new phone. At any time, you can pay off the remaining value on the phone to keep it, which you might do if you can sell it for more than the remaining value. In return, you're contract-free and pay a lower monthly rate than the interstitial period due to a $15/mo credit or $25/mo if you have a 10GB+ plan.

Josh Lyman has a new favorite as of 21:22 on Sep 12, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

krampster2 posted:

Bought this record player, Audio Technica's AT-LP120. Got it in the mail 2 days ago, unpacked it, turned it on at the wrong voltage setting and blew a fuse. Now it's getting fixed in an electronics repair shop, dammit.

Bro do you even electrical engineer?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

JEEVES420 posted:

Curved TVs have a processor built into them that attempts to adjust the depth of the image. They are even more gimmicky than 3D TVs. We got one in the office and nobody could tell the difference.
They do that? I thought they were just supposed to produce a more similar eyeball-to-screen distance on the edge vs. center of the TV. In any case, curved monitors make sense because there's a substantial percentage difference in distance from the center to the edge of a 34" display.

For a 60"+ TV when you're sitting 10' away, that difference is minimal.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

These were in Woot's garage sale. $16.04 w/tax and shipping seems like a good deal for 120 lb worth of resistance. Unfortunately, there wasn't anything else I wanted to help spread out $5 fixed shipping.:

http://sport.woot.com/offers/lifeline-tnt-cables-handles-door-anchor-1

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Not a purchase, but I won an Engadget giveaway:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pukestain Pal posted:

nah, he's plotting death, you can have him.
She. :colbert:

App13 posted:

What is all that stuff?
The backpack comes with a 10,400 mAh power bank and conduits to route charging cables to any of the pockets. Then left to right:

-Car mount for smartphone, uses non-residue "sticky" surface
-2 USB cables with nested micro USB/Lightning connectors
-Airline headset adapter
-Earbuds with built-in mic
-Cigarette adapter with 2x 2.1A USB outlets
-Travel charger with build-in 2,200 mAh battery
-Bluetooth speaker with 20 hour playback life, built-in mic to answer calls, and USB port to charge from 2,800 mAh battery
-5,200 mAh power bank with built-in micro USB and Lightning connectors

Josh Lyman has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Oct 25, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

spog posted:

Do you actually own a smartphone?
Haha yeah, I have an iPhone 6. Fair point though, it would all be pretty useless without.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have this watch.

My next purchase was a $5000 watch.

Tread lightly.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bought a navy synthetic comforter to go with my white sheets and down comforter in a sage green duvet cover. King was same price as queen so I went with the bigger one despite my queen bed. Should make for a nice blanket fort.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

AKA CJ and Leo's new home, yes?
Leo is usually receptive to snuggling under the covers, and he'll often cuddle my legs to keep them warm. CJ is a bit more flaky and usually tries to escape after a short period.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LTBS posted:

I probably should have explained. I looked the picture up on google reverse image and most of the results were for Jimmy Choo's.
I ran both photos through Google reverse image search and there wasn't a single result mentioning Jimmy Choo.

Louboutin has trademarked the red sole.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I thought the whole point of polyester performance fabrics is that they're moisture wicking.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Robawesome posted:

Some fancy clothes for a special event

Ferragamo

Cole Haan
This is a disgusting act.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The big thing I wanted this Black Friday was a 4TB or 5TB hard drive. I ended up getting an 5TB Seagate external that had this 5900rpm/128MB cache beast inside: http://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-22-178-593 Final cost should be around $85.

I was thinking of getting a $20 USB microphone, but Amazon just had a Lightning Deal for a Blue Yeti, the podcasting mic of choice. Normal street price is $110 and the Lightning Deal brought it down to $70 which is the lowest you'll see all year. My Citi rewards points knocked off another $28, which is nice since they're hard for me to spend these days because Amazon charges me tax and I don't have Prime anymore.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I just got one of those and the sound is great. But it's so sensitive that I had to buy a cheap mic stand to help isolate it because it picked up every time I even touched the table it was on.
I got the $6 #1 selling pop filter, but a mic stand didn't occur to me. I guess we'll see how the vibrations go.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Trastion posted:

As for the not understanding the Black Friday part what don't you understand? It is not a Thanksgiving thing. It is actually when the stores supposedly go from being "in the red" or not making a profit to being "in the black" where everything makes a profit because their costs are covered for the year.
This is a myth. The original name came from the Philadelphia police department being tired of this poo poo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Trabant posted:

Grado SR80e headphones:

I'm hoping against hope that on-ear headphones might actually be more comfortable than over-ear ones, at least for my apparently gigantic head and ears. I ordered them yesterday and am supposed to get them tomorrow :lol: I feel that's a tad optimistic for this time of year, even for Amazon.

And a subscription to Crashplan. Now I just have to wait for drat near 3 weeks for all my poo poo to upload.
I have a big head but normal (I think) ears. I've listened Grados before and you'll be wanting to replace the stock earpads, though they're not the worst thing in the world.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

GoPro is/was accidentally letting you use a 40% off coupon on their camera, so I just bought a Hero 4 Black. Let's see if it actually ships.
Your post convinced me to place an order even though I'm not sure how I'd use a GoPro. It's out of stock but let me place the order.

I first saw it an hour and a half ago. :negative:

edit: In retrospect, maybe I should have gotten the silver instead or even just ordered both and returned one/both that was less useful. :negative:

Josh Lyman has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Dec 8, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dsmif posted:

After years of owning iPad's I brought my first iPhone today. The 6 not the 6+.

You're gonna love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Red Wing Iron Ranger (picture from GIS)

Always wanted a pair but never got around to getting it.. But I'm on holiday in Paris where its raining all the time and Clark DBs are letting in water like a sieve so I bought one on impulse in the first shop I found which carried one. $60 more than Amazon's price :smithicide:
Desert boots have desert in the name. What made you think they'd be waterproof? They're fashion shoes these days.

The Iron Ranger is a great choice though.