Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Guess who's gonna be a goofy looking gently caress on Halloween?

This guy; for only $60 CDN. :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Hard to tell with that pic's white balance, but that steak looks like it has a pretty small gradient. Good job. :waycool:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Dick Trauma posted:

Since I hardly ever cook I've been keeping my eye on this sous vide stuff for a while. I've had food poisoning before though so I still haven't tried it.

The thing about Sous Vide is that it does kill bacteria and other microbes even though it's below the 165°f safety threshold. 165°f is the temperature that is decreed as "safe" because most bacterial life can only survive at that temperature for less than 20 seconds.

But as you lower the temperature bacteria will be able to survive longer; which is why it's risky to cook something at low temperatures. Which is why you don't want a pan-fried chicken breast to be at 140°f. However, "longer" doesn't mean indefinitely, you just need to give the heat enough time to kill off enough bacteria to keep food safe. And the time it takes decreases exponentially as you increase the heat. For example, as long as you have a chicken breast above 135°f then chances are you'll kill off enough microbes in an hour and a half. At 140°f it'll take less than half an hour, and at 145°f it's less than 10 minutes.

With Sous Vide you are usually looking at cook times that are at least an hour and above 140°f. So you shouldn't have any worries about food poisoning as long as the food is cooked properly.

Now for content;

Bought this on the 26th but it finally arrived today; now I can actually listen to podcasts in the shower rather than guess what's being said through my 5w speaker. Plus with the built-in chromecast my roomates won't have to leave their own individual speakers in the bathroom.

And to listen to podcasts in my living room actually hear what's going on in movies. But it has built in chromecast too, so I guess I can listen to podcasts while I'm cleaning or something. This was bought on the 26th too, and delivered today as well. But it was sent to my (costco membership owning) brother's house, so I'm not actually recieving it until Sunday.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Bottom Liner posted:

Link to that system? I’ve been looking for a wireless system for our projector.

Sure, it's the Vizio SB3651-E6. I'm Canadian so I don't know how widely available it is stateside, but up here is pretty rare.

Also a note on how wireless it is; the sub is entirely wireless from the bar, so you only have to plug it in for power. But the satellite speakers do need to plug into the sub. So you won't have to deal with speaker wires running across the room, but you'll still need to deal with that.

Bad on the reviews I've read, it's one of the better sound bar solutions out there; but most of them still doesn't match an honest to god 5.1 home theatre system with discrete speakers. So keep that in mind when considering it. I went with it because I can't afford a decent home theatre (and this system cost about as much as a good reciever for me), plus I live in a apartment so anything more than a soundbar is overkill.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

umalt posted:

And to listen to podcasts in my living room actually hear what's going on in movies. But it has built in chromecast too, so I guess I can listen to podcasts while I'm cleaning or something. This was bought on the 26th too, and delivered today as well. But it was sent to my (costco membership owning) brother's house, so I'm not actually recieving it until Sunday.

Just finally used it some last night and a little bit today. I can easily say that it meet my expectations, and that it's definitely no replacement for a 5.1 home theatre. Its plenty loud for my living room, and sounds way better than my TV's speakers. But I can't say how it sounds at a decent volume, since I was mostly testing it late at night with Star Wars and Bob's Burgers. But at low volumes it is far more intelligible than TV, and the night mode works well at cutting off the most peircing treble and rumbly bass. But doesn't make it so that you can crank it while your wife sleeps in the next room.

Set-up for the soundbar itself was easy enough, though cable management is necessary unless you want extra feet of wires dangling about. Getting HDMI-ARC was a pain, but that was more of a design issue with my TV than anything else.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

OniPanda posted:

After getting a real job and moving, I've been building up my electronics equipment. Gonna need to buy a bench supply soon. How much did this set you back?

Related:

Finalized the PCB and sent it out for printing, as well as buying all the components for it. Still need to buy an enclosure, but eh that can wait.

Looks like a Big Muff Pi fuzz effect pedal clone, I'm guessing there are going to be a few extra knobs based on some of those labels?

Edit: gently caress, new page

Adeline Weishaupt has a new favorite as of 07:08 on Mar 15, 2018

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
They just introduced it here in Canada, and the only flavours I've tried were Birthday Cake and Candy Bar. The Birthday Cake tastes just like Cake Batter (9.5/10) and the Candy Bar is a 10/10.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

chitoryu12 posted:

I used to read the main site for the terrible game reviews and movie recaps. Same with I-Mockery.

I still feel a little weird realizing that I’ve been here for 4 years. It always feels like I’m brand new.

drat, I always forget about I-Mockery. I should see if it's still up...

Wow it's still up and updating. I figured that it would've died back in 2009, colour me suprised. If that place can still exist in this day and age then maybe our dead gay forums can survive for at least a few more years. :unsmith:

But on the topic of young goons, I'm so far the most babby at '94. Didn't really consider lurking or joining until my late teens. It's weird realizing how much of the internet nonsense that I've seen over the years that came from this shitpile. It'll be sad when this place finally dies, but until then I guess we'll argue on what killed this place. (I blame GBS 2.0 personally)

As for on-topic stuff, I bought a leather pocket notebook cover a couple weekends ago at a Farmer's Market;

I also bought a couple of vinyl pockets to use it as a wallet. Which actually works better than I thought it would despite it's size.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't really mind either, but if I had to choose I'd take -20 degrees over 130 degrees. You can always put on more clothes, but you can only take off so much. But like I said before the secret is just not hanging out in it.

edit:
One of the funniest memories of AZ I have is walking into my dark second floor apartment out of 120 degree summer sun and thinking "holy poo poo, it's ice cold in here" and then walking to my thermostat to see it's 82 degrees.

Holy poo poo, 28°c/82°f is balls hot here (in what's basically the Canadian equivalent of North Dakota).

Seriously, how does that feel cold at all?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Calaveron posted:

What does say, 15 degrees Celsius feel like to you? For me it's put on a jacket and be miserable

It depends on how sunny and windy, but 15 usually a comfortable cool temperature. It's the sweet spot where I could wear either a t-shirt or sweater.

That said, we usually only get a week around that since it either goes directly from -20°c to 20°c over the period of a week or vice versa.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
poo poo man, don't post that here! Lowtax's dusty old bones, full of green dust, can't handle another FBI visit.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I hosed my face up with a disposable razor last night; so I decided to go big.

Not pictured: a syptic pencil and after shave.

Forgive the background, I am literally taking this pic where I work.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Turkey Farts posted:

You're about to gently caress up your face with those feather blades.

The razor handle came with one pack of the feathers, and the sampler I bought includes a pack Personnas that the feathers are covering too. My plan right now is to graduate from the Astra's to Personna to Feathers just to see which work best for me.

It's a local shop right by where I work, but here is their website.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

OSU_Matthew posted:

Just finished playing Detroit Become Human, and found a hoodie based on the game for sale:

So my great idea is to take some of this conductive stainless steel thread from Adafruit and wire in some LEDs and a small microcontroller under all the patches where it glows in the game. This could either turn out really lovely or kinda neat... guess I’ll find out when everything comes in!

I mean, your idea is :krad: and it'll look sweet. But why were you inspired by that trash fire of a narrative?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Android Apocalypse posted:

Hang it from the ceiling.

Mount it above the fireplace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Adeline Weishaupt posted:

last time I bought a razor

So after shaving for like 16 months, and still constantly getting bad shaves filled with irritation, I got myself an early Birthday present.

Rockwell 6s, and holy poo poo this is so much better than my old razor (never get an Edwin Jagger unless you only shave every 2-3 days; it sucks for daily shaving). I got barely any irritation, and the irritation I did get was more likely due to a learning curve for this sucker and doing dumb mistakes. It's gonna be a learning curve, but it's absolutely gonna help me get a good shave on a daily basis.

Adeline Weishaupt has a new favorite as of 10:14 on Jan 18, 2020