Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Bought a cheap guitar to tinker with:

Harley Benton TE-80 from Thomann.de

Turns out it's a very nice guitar for the money (app. 170$). If I hadn't already decided that it was a project guitar, I might have left it as-is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Bertrand Hustle posted:

What are you planning to do with it? Tinkering with things is always fun.

Mainly just teach myself guitar-setup and electronics. I going to shield the pickup-cavities and eventually mess around with pickup-configurations and whatnot. I might make a black pick-guard to replace the that weird tortoiseshell one.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Nutsngum posted:

I bought a $200 new Squire Telecaster like 6 years ago and have had numerous much better musicians then I comment on how good it played compared to way more expensive guitars. Perhaps Telecasters can do no wrong?

Teles are very nice for a lot of genres of music. They do kind of have a country-western aura to them that turns some people off.
There's also an absolute glut of cheap and good guitars on the market right now. So there's no need to buy an expensive guitar if you're willing to tinker a little with a cheap one.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

lookslikerain posted:

Not really. I'm 35 and have always lived in a big city in Europe with good public transport and never saw the reason to own a car until now. I got a new job starting this month with a bit of a commute and I also came into a small pile of money via severance from my previous job.

The car is the nearly unused dealership demo car so fully specced with all the gadgets, new car warranty but with a steep second hand discount.

Prepare yourself for a lot of "Left the boyfriend at home?"-comments.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Daimo posted:

At £215 I'm glad you didn't include a link!

As a Dane I kind feel like defending that price. :) It's a lot of money, but not if you look at it over the lifetime of the sweater. You can wear their stuff until it goes out of style and then comes back into style without wearing it out.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

This will never go out of style because it'll never be in.

Dang, son.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Slimy Hog posted:

I was definately exaggerating, but there are places on the mirror that are smugged so when I look through the viewfinder I cannot tell if my subject is in focus or not.

The photos will be lovely no matter what because it is a toy camera.

What he meant was that the mirror isn't used for taking the picture at all. Only for focusing.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Nephzinho posted:

This thread is a good place to ask as every time I see someone post a good whisk(e)y it turns into a page of tears of joy. Friend is getting married soon, love for booze rivals his love for his fiance. Any consensus for a good $100-150 range bottle to gift?

Balvenie Doublewood is my go-to for people who've never had scotch. It's half aged in sherry-barrels so it's pretty mild, almost sweet.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Pukestain Pal posted:

10 packs of this because I hate money.

Why not go whole hog and set up/join a darkroom? You'll save money in the long run.

:getin:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Pukestain Pal posted:

Because I'm not making analog prints.

Fair enough. You can do digital prints from analog negatives though.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Pukestain Pal posted:

...that's what I do.

Well.. carry on then :)

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Bhodi posted:

No. :(

The only thing that's ok to sit on in the entirety of ikea are a few of the chairs and the futons.

I don't know. I have a Karlstad couch and find it pretty comfy.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

David Copperfield posted:

I was considering learning to drive stick for my next car, and that chart made something in my head just snap and scream 'NO.'

Unless your next car is a big-rig chill out. :) There's like a 95% chance you'll only have to deal with five gears.
It's nowhere near as daunting as americans seem to think.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Michael Jackson posted:

Seriously? I am glad i took my screwdrivers with me even though this is a vacation at MOM IS HOUSE.

While you're at it, do one of those online tests for the Superfish-backdoor. They haven't been on the ball about recalling the machines with it installed.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Pick posted:

One tank driving experience at Drive-a-Tank

If you don't bring a boombox blasting this, you might as well just stay home: :)

http://youtu.be/zPf_PJlJsJQ

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Viking book for Kindle:

That's a really fun book. If you have the slightest interest in vikings you should probably check it out.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Yeah, and it's nice to see someone still trolling the old-fashioned way.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

All ready for Shark Week:

Sharon Needles, is that you?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

The full mini museums are loving awesome too

Mods, namechange to "Winston Churchill's furry muff" please

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Blessed purchase

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Lawen posted:

I've been a bit :homebrew: lately...

Fender Special Edition Deluxe Ash Telecaster (plus strap locks, a new strap, and some NYXL strings)

Is the "special edition" that they flipped the control-plate around?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't play guitar but I've always liked the Telecaster design more than the Strat.

You should try it though. Even cheap guitars are really good these days.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Lawen posted:

Yeah, and used an ash body, and brass saddles instead of steel.

Yeah, a tele kind of needs those brass barrels to look right. :)

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Stalizard posted:

With feathers, you can hardly even tell that there was a hair in the way at all

...or skin

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Man, wetshaving-people just come out of the woodwork in droves at the slightest mention of their hobby.

Anyway, I usually get gillette platinums from ebay and they're alright. You can get like a two years supply for 30-40 bucks

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

TraderStav posted:

Been wanting an electric for quite some time and finally pulled the trigger when this baby became available for Preorder. The finish has sung its siren song and lulled me in. Plus a sweet amp to go with it.

Link

Link

That big 70's headstock is so good. Kind of goofy, but good.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Finally got me a Telecaster. It's neat.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Yeah I'm digging it more and more.

I knew I wanted a lighter color so it was either that or a weird yellow custard looking "vintage white"

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

OniPanda posted:

Good news! Neither of those are necessary for it to make the beep boops and for the beep boops to be entertaining!

100% this. Get a synth, put some reverb/delay on it and go. Go on a cave- and/or space-trip.

e: and not that expensive actually. Something like a used Microbrute is pretty affordable.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

OniPanda posted:

Microbrute was a little too basic and lacked midi out..

Just take the plunge into CV/Gate and you'll never have have to worry about a heavy wallet.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

OGDanDogg posted:

Not sure how to use SA hosting for multiple files, so we get a double post. The bass is just to tide me over while I wait for my BC Rich Ironbird Extreme that apparently is experiencing boat delays from Korea.

Man, I though the Mockingbird was the most dumbawesome guitar they made but apparently not.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

A bit of DLC for the weekend

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

Is Rocksmith something that a musical dullard like me could use?
I seriously have ZERO musical talent but would love to be able to play a couple songs.

Absolutely. It adjusts the difficulty to your skill-level.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Megabound posted:

and some warm tone paper as well as other darkroom gear, for making prints

Matte and fiber-base. That's some classy-rear end paper.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

colas posted:

Anyone know why these only steep 20-30 seconds? Any hot tea I usually get is 2-5+ min.

I would guess a combination of type and size. Green teas should generally steep less time than black, and small leaves less time than large.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

I feel like it's too late for me to have a midlife crisis. Is there a crisis that comes after that, or just death? :iiam:

Ongoing crisis. All that ramping up and down to/from a crisis really wastes a lot of time.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

That's a big-rear end firepit though. :)

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Megabound posted:

I wanted a timer for my darkoom instead of trying to see my watch so I bought this Junghans Darkroom Timer. Some sources say 30s/40s, others 50s/60s so who knows! I love it and so far it's lost 4 seconds in 2 hours, which is good as I'm doing 1 - 2 minute times on it.

Nice. Nothing like an analog timer ticking when you're in the darkroom.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Weird question but I figure since I learned about fountain pens in this thread, someone here might be able to answer. Are the any ink cartridges that fit pens that have waterproof ink?

I'm thinking of mailing some letters but I know there's a decent chance they are gonna get damp from the whole "live in the south and it rains like a bastard 5x a week", and I don't want them to end up some sort of Rorschach ink blot instead of my writing.

The fountain pen-thread in A/T is most likely going to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

NewFatMike posted:

E: I also bought and smoked a two foot cigar:

How does your mouth feel/taste like rn?

I've never smoked anything bigger than a Montechristo no. 2 and that stayed with me for a day afterwards.