Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Coffee And Pie posted:

What the hell is the second thing?
Based on the surrounding images, it's probably a weapon for subduing seducing women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Abbeh posted:

If you actually wanted to "screw the eyewear industrial complex" you'd find an independent store and buy from them. Enjoy your glasses that will probably break within a year and no one will help you adjust them...
I have a pile of $10 glasses from Zenni/GlassesShop, and one good pair from a real glasses shop.

The cheap one's won't last forever and I don't expect them to.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Kosh Naranek posted:

It depends on who you ask whether they say it damages your paint. If you use it 2 inches from the car it's not good, but apparently if you have an angle on it and maybe 3 feet from the car it is fine.
I use an 1800 PSI electric pressure washer to clean my car sometimes. It hasn't caused any damage, and does a better job than about anything else I've used. Mine has two built-in detergent tanks, so I just throw a soap mix in one and Rain-X in the other and go to town.

edit: I'm not using the 0° death beam generally, which is the one that could probably remove paint, although I doubt it would do much unless I was really close.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 13:04 on May 23, 2014

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Synology DS214play

I have 6TB of storage in there, a torrent client, Plex server, a hosted blog, automatic synching with mine and my wife's phones, tablets and computers, photo gallery to share with family and a bunch of other stuff. The interface is extremely nice for a NAS. Also the one-touch copy from SD or USB is nice for unloading SD cards of pictures.

Epiphone ES339 Pro

Replacing an old Epiphone I got about 15 years ago that finally broke beyond repair after many moves.

Samsung Galaxy Gear Live

I think it's finally time to get a smart watch. Motorola's 360 looks slick as gently caress but I bet it will cost a lot more than $200. Also I suck with money and am a sucker for technology.

Black Keys

Nice lower box seats at Consol Energy Center in September. I've seen the Black Keys and Dan Auerbach before at ACL fest in Austin, but it will be nice to see them without it being 105 degrees and muddy.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Jun 26, 2014

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

leidend posted:

Watch me buy the Moto 360 too in a few months after it's too late to return this one.
I'm going to do the same thing. :(

Gear Live owns though.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Since everyone is posting shoes, I am posting shoes I bought a few months ago:

Black and yellow.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Some softer (78A) 76mm wheels so I can rocker my skates, along with a set of spare 80s (82A). Nothing special because they're going to wear down to nubs super fast anyway.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Finally moving from my recreational skates to something more suited for longer distance trail skating and training.

K2 V02 100 X Boa

2x100mm in the back, 2x90mm in the front. Should provide a good amount of speed without sacrificing too much control and stability. That brake is coming off immediately.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Trails, as in paved trails for biking, skating, etc. There's a bunch around Pittsburgh, including a nice 6 mile loop along the Monongahela river. Although these won't handle actual dirt paths (the bearing wear alone would make this a bad idea), the extra wheel diameter will help with debris handling a bit. The main point is to get better gliding and top speed though.

edit:

wigbot v2.0 posted:

People still use roller blades?
I thought the same thing a few months ago, but found a cheap pair easily and got back into it quickly. There's quite a few good local trails, skateparks and clubs, which I was surprised to find. I see a lot of people out rollerblading actually.

It's a fun exercise that gets me out of the house, and I had no problem picking the basics back up after a long break. I was proficient back in the day, and am getting pretty confident again after a lot of work. Also losing weight and feeling better in general, so even if I have to hear "lol rollerblades" sometimes, it's worth it.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 17:27 on Aug 18, 2014

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

GoPro Hero 3+

Records 1080p/60fps and I can control it from my phone. Just recorded a little 4 mile skate.

The picture is of a Hero 3 apparently, but they look identical.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

schreibs posted:

I have a hero 3 black...what's the plus add?
I only see a Hero 3 White, Hero 3+ Black, and Hero 3+ Silver. If the Hero 3 you have is the same as the white - the difference is max framerate (1080p/30fps vs 60fps) and still image resolution - 5MP vs 10MP.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

My recent purchase is a new driveway. Just picture asphalt on the ground, that is what it looks like.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Why asphalt and not concrete? Is it a really long driveway?
Multiple reasons. My driveway is very steep, the climate here is quite variable, and drainage concerns would have required significant additional work with concrete. With asphalt it was relatively easy to get more out of it. Asphalt driveways are very common around here due to the bullshit weather.

Plus the cost was about $3k less for asphalt even with an additional 25x30 foot driveway extension.

Also there is no way in hell my wife and I will still be living in this house in 5 years, and the driveway was an obvious point of improvement since it was so bad before.

Here's a blurry image of the top part of the driveway from about a year ago. The top section was actually the relatively good portion too.

Apparently I was trying to take a picture of a bunny.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 15:18 on Oct 9, 2014

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Griffith86 posted:

Bought this:

Synology DS413j and 4 x 3TB HDDs

I have a 214play acting as a home server and it's loving great. The management UI is fantastic, and it can also pull down torrents at nearly twice the speed of my desktop computer somehow.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

sassassin posted:

You got something on your shirt, mate.
The sparkles means your corpse is lootable.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

My fridge finally died last week, so I had to get a new one. The old one was fairly short, so to get a modern unit I had to rip out a bunch of cabinets.

Now we have this in our tiny kitchen and it's awesome:

Two ice makers, one in-door and one in the freezer for bulk ice making, blah blah it's a fridge but I like it.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Because every season is grilling season if you you're crazy enough.
Grilling in the snow is the best, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

That one specifically? I wouldn't think there's enough resolution from just putting a Note 4 in front of your face.
The Note 4 has a resolution of 2560 x 1440 pixels, while the Occulus Rift DK2 is 1920×1080.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

He does seem to like this accessorary.

quote:

The site doesn't do the options justice. They wait till you put your down in, then you get this whole wide world of pdf documents sent to you.
So you give them money and then they show you the stuff you can buy?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

couldcareless posted:

I am surprised that is not a woot fatigue post.

Bape Culture is woot fatique's sugar daddy.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Tim Whatley posted:

The comfiest beanbag chair/bed/couch and the accompanying ottoman. (Black bag, blue ottoman) Not the chick.

I sometimes get stuff from this thread and this is by far the best one. I got exactly what you did after looking around the options, in a different color combo.

This thing is the most comfortable object I've ever encountered.

I am going to replace the bed in my guestroom with the biggest one they sell. It took a few tries to figure out out, but holy poo poo.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 05:53 on Jan 24, 2015

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The one in the picture works as a love seat really well. I am guessing the big-rear end one would make a comfy couch. The long pillow from the video would probably be nice for extended use, but not necessary.

In a little concerned about my cats getting into it, but at least the covers are replaceable. Time will tell.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

For whatever reason, my loving feral cats won't touch it. I think it's the sound. But yeah, that kneading poo poo would probably rip this thing open and I'm going with the "fear of hellfire" approach for now.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Picked up an iPad Air 2 to replace my Nexus 7.

Nice piece of hardware.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Got a 15" Macbook Pro and love it so far. I needed a new laptop and really didn't want to look at Windows anymore. Plus the screen is amazing.

For an image, just imagine literally any apple laptop.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I have a 214play model and have no problem transcoding anything with Plex.

Plex provides a DSM package on their website.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The various models have (sometimes) very different CPUs, tailored to certain tasks. Honestly the best option is just to install Plex and see how it does.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Every dental procedure costs a random amount of money. Insurance pays another random percentage, of which some unknown amount will count toward your deductible. And then you just pay that plus like $200 and they'll send you a bill. It's very simple.

I need to get a dental implant. :(

I'm considering the 2015 Omnivore Classic, but I've heard last year's Molarite S is a really good deal too. Not looking for anything fancy like those new 14k corn cob rated models.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 02:11 on Mar 20, 2015

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Oneiros posted:

Only for fed issued cards / terminals . Rest assured retailers will drag their feet for years.
Retailers will be on the hook for fraud started from October if they don't use EMV. That's about all it will take. Retailers are very aware of this.

There are two side-by-side implementations in the US as well - chip and pin and chip and signature. I'm not exactly sure how chip and signature really helps security-wise, but it requires the same terminals and EMV backends so it may just be a transitional option.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 16:03 on Mar 23, 2015

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Dewgy posted:

Ship date: May. :negative:
I went with the Sport and mine's June. :(

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

KingColliwog posted:

They could just charge you a fee everytime you use one? Just like they do with many other operations. It's not like they don't know you used one unless I don't get how these things are registered.
You're correct. Checks clear in batches relatively quickly, at which point your bank not only knows about it and has either made some or all of the funds available, but also has a digital copy that is a legal stand in for the physical check. Basically it's scanned and processed electronically and acts like any other electronic transaction for 99% of its useful life.

So yeah, they could charge you and probably the same day.

Checks are like barcodes or mag stripes except in an archaic form.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 00:30 on Apr 13, 2015

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

PleasusChrist posted:

This is like 3 months old, and a couple of you bought one. How are you liking it now? Would you still recommend it?
I got one based on that post. It's a great toothbrush. I would recommend it for sure.

My wife and I are each still using the original set of heads it came with, and I just got more from Amazon (a lot cheaper than Rite-Aid, I saw the price and bought it on my phone instead, while in the store).

The charging cup thing is a great idea too. It's nice that it comes with a handy charging/travel case that uses micro USB for charging.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Zwille posted:

Huh? Mine uses mini USB, did I miss something? Sure would love to charge the thing on the same cable as my Kindle.
I just checked (and I'm glad you said that). It's mini-USB. I have a ton of USB cables so that's fine as long as I remember to bring one.

The brush heads from Amazon fit fine, checked those too.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

beefnoodle posted:

Good luck interpreting apartment listings with that.
Jokes on you because you posted the image and now we all have it for free.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Android Bicyclist posted:

Content: I was up in Seattle for the weekend & went to a new favorite greasy spoon diner.

Pancake Chef hat & mug.

Other side has a cool little logo.

Also pictured are the $5 8-bit style sunglasses I got at a gas station so that I can be all :frogc00l: .

Can you move the mug so we can see how many dicks are in your mouth?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

It almost certainly has a standard resistance heating coil, which is not particularly power efficient at all. However, it also circulates the water and only heats when needed (dependent on allowed fluctuation). The water is a pretty super battery for heat so the thing is probably barely using any energy once it's up to temperature. The magic is physics.

Really it's very similar to a slow cooker, which people leave on all day and don't get too concerned.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I guess efficient wasn't the right term - they're efficient in the way they convert electricity to heat, yes, but in terms of overall power consumption they are huge hogs. Not good for the power bill compared to operating time.

Most resistance coils will suck about as much power as the circuit will provide, so leaving one on for long periods uses as much electricity as possible. The point is that they are not on for long periods of time though.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

2015 Cooper S 4D. Hells yeah, gently caress you money.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Hey I almost picked Volcanic Orange it could have been a disaster.

^^ be careful with your "bonnet" dude!

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 04:16 on Jun 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Casu Marzu posted:

:lol: Okay.

I'm sorry that you can't accept convenience.
Yeah. Microwaves are the best potato par-cookers by far. Cover the bowl in plastic wrap and be super loving careful of the steam.