Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

XCPuff posted:

I dunno where you live but pretty much every "starter house" is shaped just like this.

Any house on a narrow lot is shaped like that just because they want to maximize space between houses. Beyond that, I don't see why it would be an issue since most people enter their own house through the garage that they park their car in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

tentawesome posted:

I bought the Zombies, Run! and Zombies, Run! 5k Training apps for my iPhone. For about a year I was weightlifting and felt pretty awesome, and then I got depressed and fat again. I don't have access to a gym and I had so much fun just doing the first mission that I think I'll be able to stick with it. It's so encouraging even though it took me an entire half an hour to go just under 2 miles.

It's a lot of fun, it's one of the few ways I can get myself running by myself. I run obstacle course races all throughout the year, but running to train for them, I hate. This keeps me going.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

IMJack posted:

and I can pass them off as dress shoes if nobody looks too closely.

No, no you can't. Stop doing this. People notice, no one says anything to your face though.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

LTBS posted:

To ease the pain of having to buy

Windshield

What sort of crappy insurance do you have where they won't replace a windshield for free?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

That's the watch equivalent of an Ed Hardy shirt. So if you're friends with those kinds of people, I guess it's fine.

I'm not big on the red font or that it's an overpriced Armani Exchange watch, but I actually like how it looks aside from those things. I think with a gray font it could look pretty cool.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Just ordered a new outdoor fan for our back patio in our new house.

Also ordered an 8 foot section of maple butcher block countertop to put in the beer/coffee bar that I'm building.

(stock photo)

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

dreesemonkey posted:

Having fond memories of these as a kid, I bought a pack of 40 for my son (yea right totally me) to play with

Mondo Bloxx 40 Pack Brick Block Set (12x6x3)

Few things in life are more fun than a flying karate kick through a wall of those things.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I bought a 4x8' sheet of plywood, some trim pieces, stain and a bunch of firewood and made some wall art for my new house.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Meatwave posted:

This is awesome. What did you use to cut log sections so thinly and evenly?

Got any other photos, maybe bigger ones?

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I saw some similar, but smaller pieces on Etsy and some of the artists said they'd do pieces about the size of the one I made, but they wanted around $600+ shipping for them, so I decided to make it myself. It ended up taking way longer than I thought, mostly because the quality of the wood I was getting here in Orlando wasn't very good so I ended up cutting probably 2-3x the amount of slices I actually needed just to get enough that looked good enough to use. Lots were full of insect holes.

The slices were all done with a 10" miter saw. They vary in thickness on purpose, probably between half an inch to an inch and a half. I could take some more photos to give you a better idea on depth and detail. Shoot me a PM with your email address.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Found a pretty good deal on a barely used Rancilio Silvia espresso machine on Craigslist yesterday so I made a spur of the moment decision to upgrade from my Gaggia.

The guy selling it runs a few coffee carts and bought it for home use, but ended up getting a deal very soon after on a larger unit so he was looking to see this one. He's used it only three times and he had both the single and double spout portafilters for it. Around $750 in equipment that I picked up for $400. I'm pretty satisfied.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

CaseFace McGee posted:

That's totally worth 4 bills, nice find. Our machine was almost that much, and yours will certainly make better froo-froo lattes than ours can :tipshat:

It definitely does a hell of a job steaming milk, that's for sure. I've only made one latte so far, but holy crap was the steam wand much more powerful than my Gaggia. I ordered a bunch of small things for it today as well. A proper tamper, knock box and a tamping mat. I'll probably end up getting a bottomless portafilter for it soon too, just because they look so awesome.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

consider the following purchase:

I think the toilet paper would be much more comfortable for wiping your rear end.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

1redflag posted:

Meh, the 120 minute is okay. I bought one a few years ago (the single 12oz bottle cost 8 bucks) and was dissapointed; it is simply too sweet. I'm a huge fan of the 90 minute and other imperial (harpoon's leviathan is delicious) and double ipa's (great divide's Hercules is great), so it was kind of a let dow.

120 minute varies year to year in taste. I don't think it's on purpose but it does. I've had quite a few bottles of it and it always tastes a little different. I definitely remember someone telling me one year it was too sweet.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I bought a set of arms to mount my old Nikonos strobes to my new Ikelite underwater camera housing for my DSLR. I also ordered the cable to sync them up. I'm really hoping everything gets here for Friday so I can use it when I dive at the Devil's Den Cavern on Saturday.

(Not this exact arm setup, but similar)

Bonus picture of the rad cavern.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Most of this was bought over the past few months, but I finally just finished everything. Those 3D wall panels were a goddamn pain in the rear end and I wouldn't do them again given the choice. They look nice, but god drat that was a lot of joint compound and sanding. I'm going to be finding dust in the house for weeks. All in all I'm super happy with everything and glad I decided to install everything myself. I do need to find a wall mounted wine rack for the booze side though. Maybe something coffee related for the other side.

I have a beer already fermented and ready for the kegerator too.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

axia posted:

A)Looks awesome!
B)What keggerator did you get? All the ones I've seen locally have pretty lovely reviews online.

It's a Kegco dual tap unit. I accidentally ordered the wrong one though. I meant to get the one that had the built in LED temperature control on the front and didn't realize I ordered the wrong one until it showed up. I had to put an access hole to where the temp knob on the rear of the kegerator is inside the cabinet, which actually isn't the worst thing because it's another place for air to flow for the unit. I added the perlick faucets to it as an upgrade.

I ordered everything from Beverage factory and they were awesome. They give you a ton of options when you're buying it so you can change/upgrade features on all their kegerators.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

McSpergin posted:

Here, have a rendered 3D image of my design.
e: image played up

That's pretty awesome. The dual tap setup is sufficient for me, mostly because it is just my wife and I in my house and my wife doesn't drink at all, so two 5 gallon kegs of beer will last me quite a while. Most of my beer drinking friends are about 30 minutes from me to, so the vast majority of what's in there will be consumed by me. The one thing I have left is that I'm going to buy sliding shelves and a door mount for them so the left cabinet pulls all the way out to hold my glassware. I'm also potentially getting my friend with a 3D printer to make me some custom tap handles.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

JEEVES420 posted:

Can you get a closer picture of that wine bottle holder? I am intrigued.

Sure, the photo sucks, but I sent this one to my mom the other day when she asked about it in the same photo.

It's carved from a piece of driftwood.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Had to register on a specialty forum to get advice and pulled the trigger on this:

Is that a violin case with a hygrometer?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Slim Killington posted:

These are the poo poo, I want these.

I dig these a lot too. They seem like a decent mix of athletic and casual shoe. I do a lot of walking, especially when I go to theme parks (I live in Orlando) so these might be right up my alley.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Fozaldo posted:

I repaired my old one of these a few times. You have known no fury like being just about to bolt it to the lawnmower when the coiled spring you have spent 10 minutes winding shoots out everywhere for the third time.

I just had this same problem not even a week ago when my pull cord broke and the process did not go without angrily whipping the spring across the garage at least once.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
My current dive computer is having some issues with the battery connections and I've been looking to upgrade a bit, so I found a pretty good deal on a used one that is a couple years old online. I'm really looking forward to using the transmitter so I don't have to have a physical gauge for my tank anymore.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

PleasusChrist posted:

Silver/White iPhone 6 128GB. I've only ever had black iPhones so I figured I'd switch it up. It should be here Friday.

Same here, though I went with the space gray of whatever they call it. I'm not all that concerned with the phone color since it will be in a case anyway.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Ishamael posted:

Just bought the 128gb iPhone 6, so far I am liking it.

Any recommendations for a good case for the 6 (4.7")? It is new enough that there seem to be some scammy people selling cases on amazon and I want to make sure I don't get something that sucks.

I bought one ahead of time on Amazon by Spigen. It's the dual layer rubber/plastic bumper style, I think it's called the Neo Hybrid.

Edit:

Finally picked up a full frame body to use as my main so I can relegate my 40D to backup duty and use in my dive camera housing. I've contemplated on getting a used 5D for a while, but when this came out and I saw the low noise at high ISO, I was pretty sold. Found a very lightly used one for $1300 and made the plunge.

rockcity has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Sep 22, 2014

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

An 07 SV650 with a little over 9k miles. It's in great shape mechanically and has brand new tires. The only thing wrong with it is that the first owner kept it outside so there's a decent bit of sun fading on the plastics. I'm really not that concerned with that though, especially since it's my first bike. I can't wait to get it registered so I can really ride it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

benwards posted:

That's a hell of a bike. You're gonna love it. Ride the poo poo out of it, it'll take you anywhere you wanna go.

Thanks, I'm pretty excited. The quick little ride around the neighborhood already has me super excited. I definitely need to get my touch right on the clutch in first gear. It's been two years since I've rode any bike and I can tell I'm rusty with it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Buy this. http://www.amazon.com/Crampbuster-CB2-CrampBuster-Wide/dp/B000GZPH2U

It not only makes it easier on your wrist to maintain highway/cruising speeds, but gives you much better throttle control at low speed because you're using your whole palm. Best :10bux: I've ever spent. Your camera hand will thank you too ;)

Wow, that's actually kind of cool and I've never seen it. It did come with thicker padded grips to help make it so you don't need to squeeze as hard, but throttling with your palm sounds super intriguing. And yes, gotta save that shutter hand.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I remember having an entire set of encylopedias my parents somehow managed to get through a grocery store promotion. I'm glad working families no longer have to find space for those anymore.

Also they bought the first two volumes of "The Volume Library" that college students were peddling back in the 90s. I actually got a lot of use out of those in middle school.

My uncle had a set and I would routinely borrow one of them for random stuff at school. It's sort of weird being in the generation that both used actual encyclopedias and the internet during my schooling years.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Night Danger Moose posted:

Also got in on this. Missed it last year.

Same here. Ordered mine as well.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

nerox posted:

I find my stud finder can get me within 8" of the nearest stud.

Mine works surprisingly well. I think I've only missed a stud once and it was in a non-standard stud spacing area so I knew it would be a guess. The key to using them is to start from one side and mark where it first beeps. Then go from the other side and mark where it first beeps, then put your nail/screw right in the middle.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

This really makes me happy, since I got this as a Christmas present for a group of friends who have a house together, and the name on the shipping address is a weird amalgamation of all three of their names. It does make me wonder if my name is on the cards though, since it's the name on the credit card that paid. Either way, it's going to be fun when all this stuff starts showing up at their house without any advance warning.

Damnit, I just left today for two weeks so I'm going to miss the fun of tiny daily packages. I'll just get a pile of them when I get home.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Glottis posted:

man, if it didn't have the deer sex I'd buy that for my brother in a second.

Not just deer sex, but gay reindeer sex.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

mad.radhu posted:

nooooo money come back

Crossland CC1

Good choice. If I didn't find an outright steal on a like new Silvia, this would have been my first choice. I'm getting a PID kit for it for Christmas.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

SLOSifl posted:

Grilling in the snow is the best, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I once grilled in the snow in the parking lot of the grocery store I worked at on my lunch break. It was fantastic.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

drat, the blue looks great. I picked up a red 07 a couple months ago and love it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Vastarien posted:

I bought it from a local guy. Sorry! The guy bought it new for a video project and ended up not using it. It sat in a closet until he decided to clear out some stuff. It was just a lucky find.

It's a drat good lens, even at full price. I wish it worked on a full frame camera though.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

strangemusic posted:

Christ almighty the Breaking Bad Aztek :swoon:

The windshield looks intact. I'm sort of disappointed.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Right on, thanks for the tip. I live just north of Ann Arbor so there's plenty of independent shops to choose from.

In that case, take it to Ann Arbor Guitars on Liberty. Solid little shop and they do great work.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

...that's an option you can get on some planes? drat, that's dope.

I mean, I've flown coach every time I've flown in my life, but you have to pass the premium class to get to coach, and I've never even seen a premium class look like this when I've passed by one.

It's really just on the 787 dreamliner. There are also cabins you can reserve that have beds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

LTBS posted:

I got this because I hate regular flossing and I was about out of floss so yeah... neat!

I say this every time when someone posts one of these, but they're not really a substitute for manual flossing. They just can't clean between the tight areas of the inner sides of the teeth like actual flossing can. That being said, they are a fantastic tool and should be used as a supplement, especially if you've ever had any gum irritation. I own one and love it.