Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I am sort of worried about how Nintendo will handle the on-line aspects of Splatoon. I assume they are going to go for an "everyone can play" type of atmosphere which could mean things like voice chat, dropping into games with your friends etc will be harder to do. Basically the same stuff that has been holding back all of their online services. Have they actually talked about any of that yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Matchmaking will probably work a lot like Mario Kart, but I don't know how that is because I haven't played Mario Kart. In-game chat with randoms is unlikely, because the graphic design of the game really minimizes the need for coordination and everybody hates having to talk to kids when playing shooters.

Dart
Jan 11, 2012

Excels posted:

They were drawing sexual fanart within an hour

I don't think that's exclusive to Splatoon.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

We're going to wind up with a game that says "First game to ever break one million game of the year awards".

If I remember, at the end of the year I'm going to have to make an award thread where we all just give awards to games from 2014. Whoever gets theirs counted in some "Game of the Year" edition promo material wins!

Dart
Jan 11, 2012

Why has nobody designed a GOTY drinking game yet?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Splatoon looks fuckin fun as poo poo

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Matchmaking will probably work a lot like Mario Kart, but I don't know how that is because I haven't played Mario Kart. In-game chat with randoms is unlikely, because the graphic design of the game really minimizes the need for coordination and everybody hates having to talk to kids when playing shooters.

You can sort of chat in the lobbies before the race. By sort of I mean you can choose from a handful of pre-determined messages like "good game" and "I'll get you next time!"

But yeah, this game will probably have something similar.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lord Lambeth posted:

You can sort of chat in the lobbies before the race. By sort of I mean you can choose from a handful of pre-determined messages like "good game" and "I'll get you next time!"

But yeah, this game will probably have something similar.

Unfortunately no option for "You think you're hot poo poo, MarioFan43? YOU THINK YOU'RE ALL THAT BECAUSE YOU GOT TRIP RED SHELLS IN SECOND PLACE?"

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I hope we can eventually find a happy medium between Nintendo's decision to treat everyone on the internet like a precious baby and everyone else's plan of letting people be their stupid, racist selves.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Suspicious Cook posted:

I hope we can eventually find a happy medium between Nintendo's decision to treat everyone on the internet like a precious baby and everyone else's plan of letting people be their stupid, racist selves.

An Adolf Miitler of every race and creed known to man.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Suspicious Cook posted:

Just perma-ban anyone who spews any racist or homophobic or sexist poo poo in any form of public chat. It's not that hard.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I find Splatoon appealing because it is a shooter I can see myself actually playing with my niece and nephew without feelign awkward about killing people with the blood and guts everywhere.

It also looks like it is really easy to pick up and play, but still very challenging to win at with the constant push back and forth, making it much less likely that one team will overwhelm the opposition to the point where there is no hope for recovery like with most shooters.

That and it takes me back to paint-gun mode in Golden Eye and Perfect Dark and basically goes all the way with it and if you don't think that is great, you have no soul as far as I am concerned.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Pfff gently caress that I'm going to dominate in this game and crush peoples' spirits

The only thing that brings me joy is the sound of crying children; Splatoon will be a vector for my happiness

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

you are never going to be better than children playing shootmans online. the only spirits that will be crushed are your own.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Splatoon looks okay. Don't think I'll get it but it's nice to see Nintendo doing a game in a genre they don't normally do, and it sounds like they have some unique ideas going on with it. Personally I'm more excited for Hyrule Warriors. Not as many unique ideas there but I love me some Dynasty Warriors.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
So will there be an E3 2015? Or are they killing it again?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

DrProsek posted:

Splatoon looks okay. Don't think I'll get it but it's nice to see Nintendo doing a game in a genre they don't normally do, and it sounds like they have some unique ideas going on with it. Personally I'm more excited for Hyrule Warriors. Not as many unique ideas there but I love me some Dynasty Warriors.

While this is how I feel on a personal level, I am just so damned happy someone did something unique with the FPS genre to drag it out of the gritty realistic murder simulation scene it has been stuck in since well, the beginning.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Winner of zero E3 awards, Splatoon

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Excels posted:

So will there be an E3 2015? Or are they killing it again?

Kojima needs it to show his new trailer as Metal Gear Solid V keeps not having a release date and staying in a limbo of pretty cutscenes and behind-closed-doors demos. Also EA will show some more conceptual prototypes, so please be excited!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Kewpuh posted:

Splatoon looks fuckin fun as poo poo

Actually Miyamoto told me in person that the brown team uses chocolate flavored ink.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Conan O'Brien visits E3 2014

http://teamcoco.com/video/conan-visits-E3-2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The show floor plan made it seem like VR crap was going to have a pretty big presence at E3 2014. How'd this work out for everyone who went? Any new Morpheus stuff?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

WHY ARE THERE CARS, I'M TRYING TO LUGE!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That beanbag looks really sweet.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Witness the only time Sunset Overdrive will come in contact with humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
What I like best about Sunset Overdrive is Microsoft thinking "hey, maybe we should have a cheerful, colourful game to break up the monotony of all those samey, brown and gritty military, post-apocalyptic and zombie shooter games!" and then deciding to make a cheerful, colourful, post-apocalyptic zombie shooter game :downs:

• Locked thread