Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Rosalind posted:

If you install σ() in an upgrade slot, it starts to deviate from the norm pretty significantly.

Solumin posted:

:allears:

You can clone the first μ() to get a second one, which is even better.

Thanks for this.

Leyburn posted:

So... when Red kills herself at the end, she calls Crash() on herself, which is why NG+ is called Recursion mode?
I wouldn't read too much into that, it seems like She just up and stabs herself with it, rather than using a function, and the act of the stabbing doesn't seem to be what triggers the recursion as there are the scenes after that, but there could be something in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Leyburn posted:

So... when Red kills herself at the end, she calls Crash() on herself, which is why NG+ is called Recursion mode?

You just keep playing forever until your brain segfaults.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm overhauling my Red outfit mod thanks to awesome Nexus user PetsForHire, who has donated his WIP Desert Sorceress Skirt so that I may include it in the replacement. For comparison:

(old)

(new)

There are quite a few changes included in v2.0 as well as a few more I still have on the list.

+ First and foremost, I changed the color scheme from a lighter yellow to an orange-yellow. Red's ingame color scheme leans more toward the mustard yellow but her colors in the game's CGs are closer to the new ones.

+ Made the sleeves of the undershirt black to match the coat; the undershirt itself is still orange-yellow, but I think it looks better this way. Generally changed the black to be a little bit more color-scheme-friendly as well, if only compared to poo poo like the Llewellyn set that is already basically pitch black.

+ The buttons on The Coat That Formerly Belonged To Sword are gold, so I made the buttons on the wanderer coat gold to match. I haven't tried removing the strings yet but their texture is basically 1 pixel wide so I doubt they have transparency.

+ Probably the most important change is ditching the wanderer boots for the Desert Sorceress skirt, thanks to PetsForHire. It also inspired the color scheme change.

+ The feathers are a duller white that matches better with DS2's color scheme now; I might change them back in the future since really the orange-yellow doesn't fit either.

Things still to do include removing the ribbed texture on the coat/sleeves again, editing the bump/spec maps for both the skirt and the coat, and figuring out what I want to do with the hood and gloves. Texture modding is a lot of fun, please tell me if you like the improvements since I feeed on comments from other people like a hungry leech.

edit: From typing up this post I have learned that I am way, way too anal about things nobody cares about but me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Transistor outfit overhaul is live: http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/184/

Now actually looks like Red's outfit! :toot:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man that change up in the opening dialogue caught me off guard. It was creepy.

mag
Feb 9, 2007

fuck this

i'm out

Acquire Currency! posted:

Man that change up in the opening dialogue caught me off guard. It was creepy.

I've been trying to figure out the significance of that dialogue. Is Royce implicating Red somehow? Is he saying that she's not going to let the Camerata get away with it? Is SuperGiant just mindfucking us for the sake of mindfucking us?

But man, excellent game. Finished it in one sitting because I couldn't tear myself away. Whatever Darren Korb is getting paid, it isn't enough.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Sorry that this thread is so old/dead/gay etc, but I just finished Transistor. It really is a great game, and I think it did a great job at keeping good things from Bastion and modifying them, along with adding new stuff.
Some things I really liked:
The structure. Bastion was pretty nonlinear and I was kind of weirded out that Transistor seemed to start off with a very linear, here are your 4 bosses progression. Then as I got further along and saw more of the world, it was a lot better. Basically, one of the big deals with Bastion was that there pretty much wasn't a villain. There were just a lot of victims. At least, from Rucks's perspective that was the case. Here, similarly, the Camerata did not turn out to be a shadowy cabal of villains, more like a shadowy cabal of actual people with different goals who don't really know exactly what they are doing.
Royce. He appeared late but I loved his delivery and writing. I don't think I've seen anything quite like that in a game before. Plus the way the final boss fight starts with you getting a taste of what it feels like to have Turn() used on you was pretty cool.
Of course, the soundtrack. I have nothing really to say here other than it is one of the game's best aspects.
The writing, especially for Blue, was great considering that he is basically the only character besides Royce with significant amounts of dialogue. As with Rucks, I was never annoyed or unhappy with the narration- it was a different style from Bastion but it worked very well in its own way.
All the gameplay was pretty cool- I especially appreciated the death mechanic. It was a good way to make death meaningful and apply a penalty for dying that isn't the traditional "replay this area until you don't die."

I haven't done any NG+ yet, but I hope more memory opens up? Right now I have 24 which is not enough to really gear out all the slots. Seems a little odd.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mag posted:

I've been trying to figure out the significance of that dialogue. Is Royce implicating Red somehow? Is he saying that she's not going to let the Camerata get away with it? Is SuperGiant just mindfucking us for the sake of mindfucking us?

But man, excellent game. Finished it in one sitting because I couldn't tear myself away. Whatever Darren Korb is getting paid, it isn't enough.

Someone up thread said that it could be the whole process restarting from the end and Royce realizing 'Oh holy gently caress, Red. We're totally boned.'

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I haven't done any NG+ yet, but I hope more memory opens up? Right now I have 24 which is not enough to really gear out all the slots. Seems a little odd. [/spoiler]

Pretty sure you can go up to 32, there should be an achievement for filling the bar all the way up. Some limiters reduce your max though. You'll never be able to max out every function at once.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Acquire Currency! posted:

Someone up thread said that it could be the whole process restarting from the end and Royce realizing 'Oh holy gently caress, Red. We're totally boned.'

It may be something as simple as Royce's parting words from Red after they attack her and Blue takes the hit. He could have realized then and there that she would hunt them throughout Cloudbank, she had the Transistor, and things were about to get ugly.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Asher's voice actor also deserves a commendation because despite that he only has a few lines they are all dripping with emotion. You get a very clear idea of who and what he is from those lines. He is a good actor.

Royce's comments are so...oddly detached at all times. I like to think that Red was very furious at him when his appeal to ending the madness wasn't "Save the city" or even "save yourself" but "Don't let all my hard work go to waste."

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That's because Asher's VA was channeling Rucks. Which was Logan's best work.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"At first I thought it might not be a good idea to let the Process destroy everything in the world. Then I thought... why contain it? It's cool."

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Roycesetfucks=0

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

FactsAreUseless posted:

"At first I thought it might not be a good idea to let the Process destroy everything in the world. Then I thought... why contain it? It's cool."

These Electronic Old Men were no good at running cloudbank. :sigh:

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Royce was great because he sounded a lot like an awkward engineer without being annoying.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Royce was pretty amazing in that regard, yeah. Somehow he's the most inhuman thing in Cloudbank.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Glazius posted:

Royce was pretty amazing in that regard, yeah. Somehow he's the most inhuman thing in Cloudbank.

The Process has personality, and they actually interact with Red. She practically has a cult of personality with them -- just look at when the snapshots set up a small shrine of her at her poster, or when you can make the chicken ones applaud if you hum in the auditorium. They chase you, pursue you, fight you, and it humanizes them.

But Royce, on the other hand, has no personality. He's flat. His entire thing is "Look at this Process, I'm going to work with it." He doesn't really care about Red. Remember when you walk out of the door and Royce is wrapping up a lecture that you just completely missed? Yeah. He doesn't really interact with on a personal level. (This is not a criticism of his character design. I think it works really well.)

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Solumin posted:

The Process has personality, and they actually interact with Red. She practically has a cult of personality with them -- just look at when the snapshots set up a small shrine of her at her poster, or when you can make the chicken ones applaud if you hum in the auditorium. They chase you, pursue you, fight you, and it humanizes them.

But Royce, on the other hand, has no personality. He's flat. His entire thing is "Look at this Process, I'm going to work with it." He doesn't really care about Red. Remember when you walk out of the door and Royce is wrapping up a lecture that you just completely missed? Yeah. He doesn't really interact with on a personal level. (This is not a criticism of his character design. I think it works really well.)

Yeah, I loved when you walk out and he's saying "and that is the central purpose of the Transistor!" I think that whole sequence was really well done because of all the odd ways the 3 characters involved are unable to interact- Red can't speak, Blue can't speak to Royce, Royce can't hear Red or Blue, and somehow they still sort of interact.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They updated the official soundtrack with all the hummed, processed and instrumental versions. :woop:

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

If you have the Steam soundtrack it'll automatically download when you boot up Steam. Hell yeah!

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Tin Hat posted:

If you have the Steam soundtrack it'll automatically download when you boot up Steam. Hell yeah!

By the way, for people who didn't buy it on Steam or the Humble Store (like I didn't), they say in the comments on their site there that they'll get the extended version to you anyway if you email them. I guess I'll do that tomorrow!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just got an unsolicited email from Supergiant about that with download links for the updated soundtrack, so check your inbox and/or spam folder right now.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I know that probably the biggest gripe about Transistor is its similarity to Bastion, but that seems a little unfair. I think if Transistor had come first, or if Bastion had never been released, Transistor would get a lot of the praise Bastion did for the narration, combat, story, and music. I admit that Rucks is still Supergiant's best character in every way, but imagine Transistor being their first game. I feel like it would have high ratings if it had been that way.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Is the biggest gripe about Transistor that it's too similar with Bastion though? I admit I didn't check the reception around the net too thoroughly but I was under the impression most people recognized there were significant differences between the two titles, despite a certain stylistic affinity which is hardly unexpected given they were made by the same people.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
That was my impression- that the narration and gameplay felt too much like extensions of Bastion than innovations.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I know that probably the biggest gripe about Transistor is its similarity to Bastion,

Actually, I can't remember ever seeing anyone say that except for you, and I've made a study of reading every Transistor review or piece of discussion that I could get my hands on, from release day to the present. The biggest and most frequently-made gripe about Transistor is "I have no idea what's happening here or why".

They're absolutely not very similar games. The gameplay is completely different, the music is very good but otherwise not very much at all like Bastion's exotic frontier trip-hop, the story has a couple of themes and elements in common but is different in a whole lot of major ways, and every complaint I've ever heard made about Transistor's narration boils down to asserting that it's different in ways that are not good: most frequently, "making the narrator clueless and limiting him to the same timeframe and location as yourself makes him not as interesting a narrator as Rucks, who was very well-informed and reacting from another frame of reference altogether"; less frequently, "a silent protagonist who is female and explicitly forced to be voiceless instead of male and only stylistically voiceless is troubling from a feminist perspective".

(I don't have the first problem, and I strongly disagree with the third problem given Red's words and actions throughout the story. I think the second observation is valid, but unlike most people who I've seen make it, I find Mr. Nobody an endearing character and the emotional heart of the story, not grating and superfluous.)

Iny fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 2, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man I love the last fight in Transistor. Good music, good scenery, good gimmick to the fight, compelling imagery to inspect, and good boss banter. I also love how beating him makes Royce start expressing emotion finally, like for the first time in his life he's faced something that will have personal consequences for him. He's spent the whole game, maybe his whole life, insulated from the consequences of his actions, and we just slapped him down. The more into the lore of the game you are the more cathartic it is to defeat him.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
So I emailed Supergiant last week asking if there were any plans to release any sheet music from Transistor. They just replied to let me know that they've just made a sheet music pack available for free on their online store. They're so awesome.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jkyuusai posted:

So I emailed Supergiant last week asking if there were any plans to release any sheet music from Transistor. They just replied to let me know that they've just made a sheet music pack available for free on their online store. They're so awesome.

tab work for paper boats
:getin:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I played this for ~1 hour when it first came out and it didn't grab, but I was thinking of going back to it now. Did they put in any way to tell which directions/things are progress (and/or let you go backwards I guess) and which are optional/flavor? I remember that being an actual deal breaker for me having to miss out on flavor because I accidentally picked the right path.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
There's actually not that much stuff off the main path to see, and the game is worth at least one replay in NG+ (you keep your level and abilities and former endgame enemies appear right from the start), so anything you miss the first time around can be explored the second. Seriously, don't sweat it seeing everything on the first play-through.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

So I'm on the last boss and after getting him to 0 hp the first time, when next he pauses time he will set his attacks, say "How about this?" and then never unpauses. Is there a work around for this?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just finished this last night. Here's my wild interpretation, maybe speculation, of a few things.

So this perfect, democratic, creative society was created in virtual reality. Minds uploaded to the cloud(bank), where everyone can be creative and whatnot and live incredible societal lives. That's fine for a century or two, but eventually? The human mind, real or virtual, would go mad. So you build in a retirement village. Not necessarily a different layer or reality; just a separate one, somewhere you can transfer the people who've come to the end of their tether, somewhere quiet they can relax for a while away from the insanity of Cloudbank. The countryside. So people would transfer there when they couldn't do this rarified society anymore; a place where you could be alone or with very few people being quiet.

That was the reference to evacuation earlier. People transferring to the Countryside. Presumably as the Process ran wild the places where you transfer were cut off, or there was just a capacity limit on how much could be done at once.

And why was the inside of the Transistor also a countryside? Because Royce aped the transfer code. See it makes sense for the Transistor, if it was preexisting, to be an admin key, something that controls the process but it doesn't make a lot of sense for there to be this lying-around tool for assimilating minds and creating a trace gelstat ideal for designing a new better city as a groupmind. I reckon that Royce found the admin key, experimented with it, discovered all these things he could do with it... and then built the person-assimilator around it, using its newfound admin rights to the system, once the plan had been come up with to take over. So the Transistor has the ability to intercept a person's trace and assimilate it into its own special transistor-countryside where it was placed in the tanks for use in the ultimate designer gelstat.

A few other notes:
- I never got the stalker image from Breach, mainly because of Sybil's commentary, where he's mentioned as being close to Red for a while before The Incident happened.
- One of the descriptions mentioned that there were inactive sectors, which is... curious. I wouldn't be surprised if Fairview had been one of them before Royce discovered things.
- I didn't realise until just before the end there were notes from Royce about all the different enemies that unlocked when you used limiters. Interesting stuff. The idea that the Young Lady had basically been the Process emulating humanity in a strange learning kind of way. And Man was created as a direct response to Royce poking them, as a defense and in his image.
- Also it's implied in there that Royce created limits on the Process for safety, and when you use a limiter you're lifting one of those.

Also, a neat artistic element I noticed. The Cloudbank society's common motif is a triangle. The Process's common motif is red circular eyes. The Transistor has both.

Also the Cloudbank city logo is an electrical transistor symbol with a city in it.

Also, according to this article, those ghostly Reds you sometimes see? They're actually mario-kart-style ghosts of how other people played, that the game exchanges over the internet.

Also, some people were able to Q&A a bit with a writer that answers a couple of minor questions, like hinting what happened with Sybil.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

So the Transistor has the ability to intercept a person's trace and assimilate it into its own special transistor-countryside where it was placed in the tanks for use in the ultimate designer gelstat.

Huh. That's a new one for me, I think, but if true it pretty much explains New Game+. When the Transistor wakes up next, Red's in it along with everything she remembers. Time loop, entire simulation restored from backup, things that happen once happening again? I dunno.

• Locked thread