Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

RoboCicero posted:

I experienced this, but it fixed itself when I dialed the resolution down (from the default to 1600x900). I'm on a retina Mac running bootcamp, if that helps.

Same set up as me, I tried scaling up and down but it hasn't changed. I'll give it another shot when I get back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

quote:

As far as I'm concerned, Bastion was an okay game, a decent little title that consisted mostly of recycled ideas and possessed of a quality found in most browser-based free-to-play games.

I feel like if you're a reviewer who puts poo poo like this in your reviews, you should be forced to cite an example.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 20, 2014

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Humming is cool. Music is real cool too

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Justuseapcffs!

Joke.

Runs perfectly on my PC. Actually thinking about getting on my PS4 too. I love the animation.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I said come in! posted:

No, sorry, you guys defending the narrator in Bastion and this game are undeniably wrong as gently caress. Narration in a video game is one of the worst possible things you can do to a games presentation.

I said :frogout:!

(ps how many times has someone made this joke to you before I'm curious)

I think narration can be used wrongly and a crutch but when a game is properly designed around it, it can work really well. Bastion (and so far, this game) are a good example of doing it quite well so I just can't agree with this sentiment.

Anyway this game owns and I'm not even out of the tutorial part yet.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Wow, that browser game comment is loving stupid as hell and really stinks of looking for a reason to knock a popular game for clicks.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PantsBandit posted:

Wow, that browser game comment is loving stupid as hell and really stinks of looking for a reason to knock a popular game for clicks.

Disagree with him all you want (I certainly do, that was a flat-out incorrect comment), but he's not in the business of writing clickbait. He's just honest about what he thinks of games, and that quite often is different to what a lot of people think of them.

He loves Dynasty Warriors, basically.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
My PC version wont launch at all, for no apparent reason. :gonk:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Steve2911 posted:

Disagree with him all you want (I certainly do, that was a flat-out incorrect comment), but he's not in the business of writing clickbait. He's just honest about what he thinks of games, and that quite often is different to what a lot of people think of them.

He loves Dynasty Warriors, basically.

I don't dislike him in general but that comment, like the poster above mentioned, is really just wrong and stupid and I would ask him to give a single example of a browser game up to Bastion's quality.

Like, that single comment is so bad that even the editor should be ashamed and should never have published that review with that in it. There should have been big red lettering saying "this is bad writing! Do not make assertions with absolutely no grounding in fact!"

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 20, 2014

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Attestant posted:

Reboot your PC.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Disagree with him all you want (I certainly do, that was a flat-out incorrect comment), but he's not in the business of writing clickbait.

He literally stated years ago, almost word for word, that he is in the business of writing clickbait. That's his thing.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

cathead posted:

I think narration can be used wrongly and a crutch but when a game is properly designed around it, it can work really well. Bastion (and so far, this game) are a good example of doing it quite well so I just can't agree with this sentiment.

Yeah, narration can be very bad, but at this point I think Supergiant knows exactly how to wield it. The narration in Bastion was fantastic, and set up one of the best moments of arriving at the present at the end of the game. The moment when the girl actually gets to speak. <-Bastion Spoiler, in case anyone was worried.

I just got through the first major boss in this game. It is VERY good.

Max fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 20, 2014

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009
So I've been able to play for 10 minutes, only had to stop to diagnose some sound issues with my headset. Thankfully unrelated to the game.

My biggest concerns with this game were that maybe the combat system would make the game unfun, and that I would really miss the narrator from Bastion, with his dynamic narration of things you do.

The narrator is your sword, same guy doing the voice, and he reacts to things you do, things happening, etc just like in Bastion!

Also, the combat system, so far, in the first 10-15 minutes or so, is actually very natural feeling and fun.

I couldn't be happier! Though I hear it's a depressing game, that stays depressing :/

Edit:
Also an amusing thing I discovered, when you go into the menus, the music has a kind of muted/distorted effect, I think Bastion did similar as well and it's kind of a common thing in games, however, what I didn't expect was that when I alt-tabbed out, the music had yet another sound and effect, as though it was being silenced by my program bar and calling out for me to open it back up and play. Really cool, never seen a game play with that sort of an idea before.

Reasonerr fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 20, 2014

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

Attestant posted:

I'm in the same boat, it crashes after it does all of its preloading and seems like its trying to go into the main menus.

A dev on steam claims its a DLL issue, and another poster claims that reinstalling Visual C fixed his, but I havn't had any luck yet.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

It's pretty cool to queue up alternating jaunts and sparks (upgraded with load) and turn the screen into an explosion. I wonder if the action bar is set to that one length or if it can be upgraded for longer duration in the future.

edit: I also wonder if I can respec at some point. I'm kind of regretting getting mask. Well, I shouldn't say that, more like in general I wish I could swap abilities on the fly instead of doing so at a kiosk. If I get the sense that there's a beefy boss arena ahead I'd like to switch to mask and take advantage of backstabs.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 20, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

How does the balance among combat skills feel so far? One of the things that was great about Bastion was that every weapon felt as good as the others.

God I can't wait to get home and play this.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Max posted:

Yeah, narration can be very bad, but at this point I think Supergiant knows exactly how to wield it. The narration in Bastion was fantastic, and set up one of the best moments of arriving at the present at the end of the game. The moment when the girl actually gets to speak.

oh god drat it. You talk about how the narration in bastion is good, and then you go on and list a spoiler from transistor? I moused over that expecting a spoiled example from bastion!

EDIT: OH ok it is a spoiler from bastion still. cool nvm. Though it sounded like something similar could happen in this game as well.

polish sausage fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 20, 2014

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

thuly posted:

I'm in the same boat, it crashes after it does all of its preloading and seems like its trying to go into the main menus.

A dev on steam claims its a DLL issue, and another poster claims that reinstalling Visual C fixed his, but I havn't had any luck yet.

I just managed to resolve my issues, and for me it was reinstalling the contents of the _CommonRedist folder in Steam. One of the various vcredist versions was apparently missing.

polish sausage posted:

oh god drat it. You talk about how the narration in bastion is good, and then you go on and list a spoiler from transistor? I moused over that expecting a spoiled example from bastion!

that was a bastion spoiler

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I am getting stuttering that is only occasional, but makes the game extremely annoying to play. Probably just early-release bugs, but I'd like to make sure it isn't just me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I said come in! posted:

No, sorry, you guys defending the narrator in Bastion and this game are undeniably wrong as gently caress. Narration in a video game is one of the worst possible things you can do to a games presentation.

Lol, it was actually one of the few modes of exposition I didn't really mind because it happened in the background and left you free to do things while it happened. It sure as hell beats sitting in an empty room when someone talks to you.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

edit: I also wonder if I can respec at some point. I'm kind of regretting getting mask. Well, I shouldn't say that, more like in general I wish I could swap abilities on the fly instead of doing so at a kiosk. If I get the sense that there's a beefy boss arena ahead I'd like to switch to mask and take advantage of backstabs.

Put Load on Mask and lay waste to your enemies.

I really really like the way they give little bits of backstory when you use a Function in the different slots. I was worried it was going to involve grinding the same combos in order to unlock story, but its the exact opposite. It exists only to encourage you to experiment and play around as opposed to finding an Optimum Setup and only using that (the Optimum Setup is Mask with Load on by the way).

1stGear fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 20, 2014

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I am getting stuttering that is only occasional, but makes the game extremely annoying to play. Probably just early-release bugs, but I'd like to make sure it isn't just me.
I'm getting this too. Happens maybe once every two minutes, but gameplay will freeze for a second and the sound will skip until it unfreezes. Kind of annoying.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Hell yeah, this game looks gorgeous. I'm just going to be mashing the share button like I did with Child of Light.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I think I made a mistake taking Bounce instead of Mask. :(

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

Attestant posted:

I just managed to resolve my issues, and for me it was reinstalling the contents of the _CommonRedist folder in Steam. One of the various vcredist versions was apparently missing.

I've done this too.

Oh well, maybe tomorrow somebody will have a fix for it. :argh:

e: I started it while alt-tabbed out and it ran fine. What the poo poo?

thuly fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 20, 2014

AnemicChipmunk
Oct 23, 2012

How large is the download for this on PS4? I have a data limit and was wondering if I'll have to wait until next month to get it. Can't wait.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Lol, it was actually one of the few modes of exposition I didn't really mind because it happened in the background and left you free to do things while it happened. It sure as hell beats sitting in an empty room when someone talks to you.

It's better for films to "show and not tell" too but if you said dialogue was undeniably a mistake in every film people would rightly pillory you for being the village idiot

Which is the dude you're quoting here, not you, I mean

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Anyone else getting periodic freezing/hangup in this game? My computer's kind of old so it's definitely something on my end, but I can't tell what.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

AnemicChipmunk posted:

How large is the download for this on PS4? I have a data limit and was wondering if I'll have to wait until next month to get it. Can't wait.

Store says that it's 2.4 GB

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ferrinus posted:

Anyone else getting periodic freezing/hangup in this game? My computer's kind of old so it's definitely something on my end, but I can't tell what.

My computer is one month old and fairly high-specced, and I'm getting freezes/stutters every 30 seconds. It's making it basically unplayable.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah but not too frequently. Happened 2 or 3 times in about an hour I think

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

Lmbo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It's better for films to "show and not tell" too but if you said dialogue was undeniably a mistake in every film people would rightly pillory you for being the village idiot

Which is the dude you're quoting here, not you, I mean

I think the absolute best thing dialogue can do in an action game is stay out of the loving way, and that's exactly what the VO in Bastion did.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I've played for an hour so far and I'm also getting little one second hitches very infrequently. Think it happened 2-3 times? My computer's only like a year old so I'm sure it's just a new-game bug they have to shake out, not sure what would cause it for the people getting them all the time though. Game's great so far.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, I'm getting a few hitches here and there, but the game is so cool I don't even care.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

I said come in! posted:

The kid just rages for awhile...

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

WarLocke posted:

I think I made a mistake taking Bounce instead of Mask. :(

Just keep playing, unpicked abilities get recycled as new picks.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
This is an odd theory, but I think these pauses are caused by the game pulling stats for all the terminals.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the entire time I played before release there wasn't a single hiccup and now I'm experiencing them too. That Giant Bomb Quick Look pointed out the possibility that the stats are getting updated, and I could see how on launch day something like that could be strained.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'm getting a launch error. 'Error 126: Module not found,' it says. Anyone else?

Edit: Oh god it's a registry error. Kill me now.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

This is an odd theory, but I think these pauses are caused by the game pulling stats for all the terminals.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the entire time I played before release there wasn't a single hiccup and now I'm experiencing them too. That Giant Bomb Quick Look pointed out the possibility that the stats are getting updated, and I could see how on launch day something like that could be strained.

I'm just glad it isn't me, I guess I'll wait a few days to play it. Wolfenstein is waiting, anyway.

• Locked thread