Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
There I am, a big baby thinking I don't care about background stuff in videogames. But in this game I'm swapping out all my skills constantly from active to upgrades to make sure I unlock everything. Something about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Someone please confirm this game has subtitles on ps4. I don't think bastion had subtitles.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

Someone please confirm this game has subtitles on ps4. I don't think bastion had subtitles.
It has subtitles on PC, but they are not enabled by default. I'd hope the PS4 version has subtitles too.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

This is an odd theory, but I think these pauses are caused by the game pulling stats for all the terminals.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the entire time I played before release there wasn't a single hiccup and now I'm experiencing them too. That Giant Bomb Quick Look pointed out the possibility that the stats are getting updated, and I could see how on launch day something like that could be strained.

That sounds about right with me, the game's running fine and then whever I visit those terminals the hitching becomes noticeable. Other than that holy poo poo this game is fantastic, I'm really in love with the adorable dog buddy ability you get after beating the first boss.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Bought it on ps4 and liking the game so far. Combat is good, lots of skills / playstyles to choose from. Only complaint is that it isnt clear what areas you can explore / what areas will push the story forward and cut you off from the previous area.

The PS4 version has subtitles. Press Options --> General settings --> Subtitles

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I didn't "get" this game until the first major boss, which utterly annihilated me the first time.

Then I stopped playing like a moron, and the game feels wonderful. Even though you have a faint idea of what's going on, you have absolutely no idea what's going on. At least, I don't!

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009
Looks like there is a small patch available for the game already.

Also, when you see people and get cubes from them, does that always give you an ability (function)?

I picked up a cube from a person prior to the first boss that did not give me a new ability, it happened right during one of the game's "hitches" it's doing every now and then. Hoping I didn't miss anything causing me to need to restart, and at least if I did, I can find out now instead of later and not lose as much of my progress.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Reasonerr posted:

Also, when you see people and get cubes from them, does that always give you an ability (function)?

I picked up a cube from a person prior to the first boss that did not give me a new ability, it happened right during one of the game's "hitches" it's doing every now and then. Hoping I didn't miss anything causing me to need to restart, and at least if I did, I can find out now instead of later and not lose as much of my progress.

I think you just outright get abilities during the very beginning while you're filling up your four slots then after that the people you pick up are those who turn into the abilities unlocked by leveling.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Reasonerr posted:

There are terminals which allow you to switch skills in and out, just be patient.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've already spent 5+ minutes just holding down tab whenever there's a new tune. Beautiful.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Welp, first playthrough only took 3 hours but that was because I didn't do any of the side stuff. Says a lot that the ending is so powerfully affecting even though you see it coming a mile away. I wonder if it'll be any different in NG+. Also the last boss fight is kinda silly.

Edit: So was the narrator guy just some admirer or did they have an actual relationship before he got sucked into a techno-sword?

Republicans fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 20, 2014

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
This game has crashed twice so far which is a bummer because the atmosphere is fantastic and it really would be nice if I could get into this fully. I'm pushing the game over to my SSD now to see if that helps.

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009

Cryohazard posted:

There are terminals which allow you to switch skills in and out, just be patient.

Oh no, I'm much further than that, hopefully I can use spoiler tags correctly:

In an area right outside the first boss area, outside the club, there's a person lying there named Quincy or Percy I think? I walked up to him and the man in the sword communicated with him a bit and he was absorbed into the sword. Every other time this gave me a new function to use or equip at an access terminal. This time I went to the nearby access terminal and no new function. I know each function is a person or some such with their own stories/bios to unlock by using them in different ways, that's the main reason I want to make sure I'm not somehow unable to find out more about this percy/quincy guy as none of my existing functions or ones gained by leveling since have had his name.

Thanks for the help so far. Amazing game, definitely beyond my expectations so far, which were already pretty high.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Reasonerr posted:

In an area right outside the first boss area, outside the club, there's a person lying there named Quincy or Percy I think? I walked up to him and the man in the sword communicated with him a bit and he was absorbed into the sword. Every other time this gave me a new function to use or equip at an access terminal. This time I went to the nearby access terminal and no new function. I know each function is a person or some such with their own stories/bios to unlock by using them in different ways, that's the main reason I want to make sure I'm not somehow unable to find out more about this percy/quincy guy as none of my existing functions or ones gained by leveling since have had his name.

Thanks for the help so far. Amazing game, definitely beyond my expectations so far, which were already pretty high.

Was it the fat chef-looking dude? I remember the narrator saying something like "he's too far gone" and I took that to mean you couldn't get any ability from him.

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009

Republicans posted:

Was it the fat chef-looking dude? I remember the narrator saying something like "he's too far gone" and I took that to mean you couldn't get any ability from him.

Possibly, i remember that scene vaguely, but I can't remember if it's the same one.

The wife is getting ready to start playing though so I'm going to watch and see what happens on hers and get specifics while I'm at it.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Vince Videogames posted:

That sounds about right with me, the game's running fine and then whever I visit those terminals the hitching becomes noticeable. Other than that holy poo poo this game is fantastic, I'm really in love with the adorable dog buddy ability you get after beating the first boss.

I'm having a serious problem with that ability. Being able to summon a dog or two is awesome. But the passive ability you can get from it is also awesome. KILL

Reasonerr posted:

I didn't get a function from him either, I think the sword said something about him being too dead to help or something.

Here's my question: Do I get anything by running limiters besides more challenge and some log files? Like bonus XP or functions or anything?

Twitch fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 20, 2014

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I've stopped getting periodic lockups, but have started getting outright crashes. My computer's old/unstable enough that they just make my whole screen go black and require me to restart my computer, which is a massive pain in the rear end. If someone knows how to get the game to stop crashing please say so !!

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Perhaps someone here can help me with a technical issue I'm having with the game.

Whenever I run the game in full-screen mode, the screen tends to flicker on and off like a strobe light. Does anyone know why this is caused, or more importantly how I can fix the issue?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Not only am I getting stalling and now crashes, it actually managed to crash Steam itself somehow.

That's, uh, that's kinda impressive. :golfclap:

Fun game, though. Not as impressed with the OST as I was with Bastion's, but We All Become is pretty great.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
This is one of those days where I really wish the weather was super lovely so I could justify staying inside all day and marathoning this game,

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I love this game so far but I keep getting hitches and lock-ups like everyone else. I hope Supergiant'll put out a patch soon.

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Autonomous Monster posted:

Not only am I getting stalling and now crashes, it actually managed to crash Steam itself somehow.

That's, uh, that's kinda impressive. :golfclap:

The game keeps locking up for me whenever I beat the "Stability" challenge. :tinfoil:

I think I'll wait awhile too.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Lucky enough to be a couple hours in with none of the issues people have mentioned, been playing pretty smooth on PC for me.

Combat starts pretty simplistic while you get your legs but there's definitely room to get more complex. By the time I had reached the first serious boss fight I was having a blast.

And the sound design, my god. It's so loving good. Just like Bastion they put a lot of work into the soundtrack.

A dedicated humming button. I love it. :3:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I'm loving the combat. It's relatively forgiving in terms of health and chances you're given to get the gently caress out of danger (Jaunt is the best thing ever), but if you gently caress up the consequences are great.

Does anyone know what happens if you 'overload' enough times to lose all of your skills? Is it just game over then?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah I'm loving the combat. It's relatively forgiving in terms of health and chances you're given to get the gently caress out of danger (Jaunt is the best thing ever), but if you gently caress up the consequences are great.

Does anyone know what happens if you 'overload' enough times to lose all of your skills? Is it just game over then?

I'm finding it pretty challenging if I don't use turn, but kinda easy when I do.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

THE PWNER posted:

I'm finding it pretty challenging if I don't use turn, but kinda easy when I do.

I agree, but the waiting penalty you have after using it has hosed me over a few times. It strikes a good balance.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Well, I got the game to run but the game itself is now running like poo poo. My specs are far over the recommended, and the game runs plenty smooth in the escape menu.

Any ideas?

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
Should this game be played with a controller like bastion?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

THE PWNER posted:

After a while, you kinda have to use both modes interchangeably, especially if you're running with limiters on.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I feel like the turn-planning would be wonky with a controller, but I might be wrong. It seems a bit more precise than Bastion, at the very least.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

It controls pretty much perfectly with a keyboard and mouse. Selecting spots on the map to bounce around to would get pretty tedious on a controller, I imagine.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Best game I've played in months. The skill system is bloody fantastic and I want to see more stuff like it!

random disclaimer: I am not a huge Bastion fangirl either.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Just finished the game. A little shorter than I thought it would be but still worth every penny. Definitely playing through this multiple times.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I feel like the turn-planning would be wonky with a controller, but I might be wrong. It seems a bit more precise than Bastion, at the very least.

Planning is fine with a controller, you move the character like you would normally and then hold the skill button down to aim it

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Uhm, was that a phantom of a person walk by? I'm seeing little digital ghosts in some areas

frank.club fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 20, 2014

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Acquire Currency! posted:

Uhm, was that a phantom of a person walk by? I'm seeing little digital ghosts in some areas

Everything is Dark Souls now.

big sperma shot
Jan 13, 2011

Big Cock Jerk Off with MASSIVE cum shot.
What does flourishing do

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

big sperma shot posted:

What does flourishing do

Looks cute.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The hum function oh my god

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
This game is so beautiful. I can barely stand it!

I love the pointless cute things, like humming/flourishing. I might give Bastion a second shot after I exhaust this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Just finished downloading and I am :neckbeard: as hell about this.

• Locked thread