Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
It's the Idiots on Social Media Thread! Previously the Idiots of Facebook Thread, it has now been expanded to include other websites, like Twitter and comments on news websites.

quote:

Hey, I see these weird screencaps with puns instead of names. What program is that?

You're talking about Social Fixer! I prefer to use paint, but it's much faster, especially if you need to block multiple names/faces.

NOTE: Do not cause stupid derails! Please feel free to comment on an issue someone posted about, but keep arguing to a minimum. If a debate lasts longer than a few posts, either shut up or bring it to D&D.

Post away.

Edit: Decided to post some stuff from the creepy anime guy on my feed from last thread.

And the best (worst) one of all...

trapped mouse has a new favorite as of 01:51 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

What is there to study?

"Is bad and creepy. Got it."

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
To continue the anti-vax thing from right before the last thread closed, I can't believe there's actually another person out there that argues that vaccines are bad because dying from diseases is natural other than the one I argued with and posted. People are hosed up.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

To continue the anti-vax thing from right before the last thread closed, I can't believe there's actually another person out there that argues that vaccines are bad because dying from diseases is natural other than the one I argued with and posted. People are hosed up.

There are people that think the very existence of humanity is unnatural because of the ways we shape our surroundings because apparently birds don't build nests, bees don't build hives, and monkeys most certainly don't use tools to fish termites out of mounds. Ants don't farm aphids and crows haven't been observed to use all sorts of clever tools.

No it's unnatural just because we're so much better at it or alternately it's unnatural because we somehow aren't ultimately part of nature.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Well at least they take the naturalistic fallacy to the logical conslusion. You got to be consistent!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Let's not continue a dumb derail from the last thread please!

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Takoluka posted:

What is there to study?

"Is bad and creepy. Got it."

No, he's "studying". As in when someone on the internet says "What's the source of this? I need it for...research purposes."

I've considered notifying the authorities on him before.

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
Can we continue with the thread title?

I need to know why that poor soul was detained for for trying to brighten the working man's morning.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

trapped mouse posted:

And the best (worst) one of all...

I seriously thought "lolicon" referred to some kind of convention, like Comic-Con or something, until now.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
@NeedADebitCard is the funniest twitter account I've ever seen.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

In my immuno class, the lecture on vaccines was about 10% "this is how vaccines work" and 90% "no, they do not give you autism". This is med school. It was incredibly depressing.

Anyway, they covered arguments made by anti-vaxers and this one came up. Basically, since diseases like polio have been gone for so long (because of vaccines), people don't see it as a real threat. They just see it as "my kid gets sick and I take care of them BECAUSE MOMS KNOW BEST. Oh, and worst comes to worst, a doctor will fix it because that's what they do." They don't have the life experience that some diseases are terrifying and they can kill or maim your kid. And while, yes, getting the illness itself will produce a better immune response than the vaccine, vaccines also won't leave you in an iron lung for the rest of your life as the bonus for surviving the disease in the first place.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
But that iron lung is an affront to nature, sorry little Timmy, evolution says you have to die.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

HonorableTB posted:

Let's not continue a dumb derail from the last thread please!

:psyduck:
What does that even mean?

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
New Zealand journalist trying to do a story on "competitive tickling" got a bit of a strange response today.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Moatman posted:

:psyduck:
What does that even mean?

"People love running their loving mouths about breezy rear end motherfucking people. Just so loving sick like they got nothing better things to do with their life. Be a grown person; come say it to my face cause I am a real nigga, I've tried so many people running their mouths. drat for real, Of y'all talk poo poo about me make sure that poo poo is 100% real and that you can back it up. So tired of people bringing drama and thinking they know me and what's happening at my place. Worry about your own self.drat, y'all looking crazy. See this status I wrote. If anyone has anything to say about me, you'd better make sure it's 100% true. By the way, if I find out who turned my brother in, that person is a bitch. For real, can't help if you don't like my family. drat police make sure tagged [something motherfucking]. Next time anyone got something to say?"

dovetaile has a new favorite as of 05:36 on May 7, 2014

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Family friend shared this. She is also someone who is getting a liberal arts degree and constantly shares a lot of conservative "we should drug test people on welfare" or "we need to keep our the minimum wage low because gently caress the poor!" kind of stuff. It makes me feel really disappointed. :(

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Fiend Computer posted:

Family friend shared this. She is also someone who is getting a liberal arts degree and constantly shares a lot of conservative "we should drug test people on welfare" or "we need to keep our the minimum wage low because gently caress the poor!" kind of stuff. It makes me feel really disappointed. :(

Holy poo poo, looking at da troops is giving me a boner.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Fiend Computer posted:

Obviously we should reinstate the draft so those lazy poors can EARN their $15 an hour :smugdog:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Fiend Computer posted:

As a non-US citizen, I knew it was bullshit, but I figured it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how bullshit.

http://www.goarmy.com/benefits/total-compensation.html

quote:

The Congressional Budget Office recently estimated that the average active duty service member receives an Army benefits and pay compensation package worth $99,000. Noncash compensation represents almost 60 percent of this package. Noncash compensation includes health care, retirement pay, child care and free or subsidized food, housing and education. Coupled with regular cash compensation, this adds up to attractive military compensation for Soldiers.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Rudager posted:

As a non-US citizen, I knew it was bullshit, but I figured it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how bullshit.

http://www.goarmy.com/benefits/total-compensation.html

Yeah, I used to reply to them all the time and point out that she was wrong or that the information these were giving was wrong, and she'll just go back to posting this stuff again.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

I thought this dude was making a funny joke comment, but on closer inspection he is as deadly serious as the gluten-fueled holocaust that is wiping all life off this planet like so many crumbs off the shirtless chest of a mournful LA yuppie on a bread binge.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Yes, that is really her.

A few years ago she started palling up with Cathy Brennan and eventually got Brennan's endorsement for president (which was really worth less than the contents of my jacket pocket). In Brennan's home state of Marlyand, Santa Claus got ten times as many votes as Roseanne did.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Phil is a late 30s guy, Hugh is his 20-25ish girlfriend. Every public conversation consists of more xo's than words.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Fiend Computer posted:

chop off the bottom bit, then repost with "wouldn't it be great if poor people could have a road to a better life and a living wage that didn't involve the hazards and hardships of military service!" (that's obviously ignoring the factual omission of the fact that 2/3 or more of military compensation is non cash in the form of healthcare, housing etc)

also, I've NEVER worked as loving hard as I did when I was in a fast food kitchen, holy poo poo those poor fuckers deserve every penny, especially the ones who never had the chance to get an education and are stuck there long term.

Fatkraken has a new favorite as of 13:19 on May 7, 2014

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Does anyone have that "Music Then and Now" inversion that listed a bunch of classic rock bands and horrible things vs. awesome things new pop music artists did?

I'm asking for a friend.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

This one?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Behead all who insult disco.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

That's one of them (and actually half of the exact thing posted that I wanted to respond to :ironicat:). The one I had in mind had pictures of the artists with 'facts' listed below each one. I believe Queen was on it, as well as One Direction (maybe?). Also Taylor Swift I think.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

HiroProtagonist posted:

That's one of them (and actually half of the exact thing posted that I wanted to respond to :ironicat:). The one I had in mind had pictures of the artists with 'facts' listed below each one. I believe Queen was on it, as well as One Direction (maybe?). Also Taylor Swift I think.

I think I know the one you mean. It had some 'stats' on it like Producers: 1 for Queen and a bunch for the other ones right?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Serperoth posted:

I think I know the one you mean. It had some 'stats' on it like Producers: 1 for Queen and a bunch for the other ones right?

That sounds like the one.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

There's this one which is so eye rolling I don't even know where to start. Also Bohemian Rhapsody is one of those songs that I am so sick of hearing so Beyonce 1, Queen 0 :colbert:

There was another one posted in this thread I love where it was like Blink 182 (I think) vs One Direction, and how Blink 182 took time from their tour to visit a sick kid in the hospital but One Direction, those little pop music PUNKS!!! refused to stop their tour for a sick kid and even charged money (!!!)... Even though a quick google search will tell you that the exact opposite happened and One Direction straight up put a tour on hold and I think even delayed a concert to visit a sick kid in the hospital for free.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Macaluso posted:

There's this one which is so eye rolling I don't even know where to start. Also Bohemian Rhapsody is one of those songs that I am so sick of hearing so Beyonce 1, Queen 0 :colbert:

There was another one posted in this thread I love where it was like Blink 182 (I think) vs One Direction, and how Blink 182 took time from their tour to visit a sick kid in the hospital but One Direction, those little pop music PUNKS!!! refused to stop their tour for a sick kid and even charged money (!!!)... Even though a quick google search will tell you that the exact opposite happened and One Direction straight up put a tour on hold and I think even delayed a concert to visit a sick kid in the hospital for free.

I really know which one you're talking about. It's like, the original had all these "old" band with facts about how music artists used to be good samaritans but now all these singers(more like autotuned drones am I right M'lady:smug:) are selfish and petty and...

It was in the last thread but damned if I'll wade through it. Anyway, here's a rather good chart to show that as times change, things stay the same

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Postal Parcel posted:

I really know which one you're talking about. It's like, the original had all these "old" band with facts about how music artists used to be good samaritans but now all these singers(more like autotuned drones am I right M'lady:smug:) are selfish and petty and...

It was in the last thread but damned if I'll wade through it. Anyway, here's a rather good chart to show that as times change, things stay the same

That's a lot of buildup just for a sick :iceburn: against Skrillex.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fiend Computer posted:

Lol, when she finishes her useless rear end liberal arts degree, she's going to have a hell of a wake up call.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

TL posted:

@NeedADebitCard is the funniest twitter account I've ever seen.

:stare: What the gently caress, how dumb are people?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

This came up just today. Someone I went to HS with, that posts nothing but religious pictures and stuff about her kids. Not even worth responding to her.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Funzo posted:

This came up just today. Someone I went to HS with, that posts nothing but religious pictures and stuff about her kids. Not even worth responding to her.

Woof.

I feel like people who post that kind of thing are just kind of trying to make an echo chamber where they can convince themselves that it's true. Instead of, like, loving picking up a book and realizing that evolution isn't actually a linear process, and we happened to be the hominid that survived out of the others in the overall collection.

I'm amazed more of them don't get up in arms about plate tectonics, seeing how the bible specifically mentions places and continents that exist today. Maybe the young-earth ones are quieter than the rest of the creationists.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Postal Parcel posted:

It also called Kurt Cobain a coward and I believe was made by a goon.

Edit: I just found out recently that a bunch of people who I hid from my feed during the last presidential election unfriended me. I don't know when that happened, but I hope it was because of a status I wrote that said "I voted for the gays, the weed, and the black guy. Hate on it."

Karma Comedian has a new favorite as of 20:11 on May 7, 2014

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I just got a friend request from someone with no mutual friends (no friends at all actually)- usually this is a fake hot chick profile created for some sort of spam reasons... this time, it's just baffling. No profile picture, and only one wall post, went ahead and anonymized it in case this is a real human being:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Postal Parcel posted:

Am I the only one bothered by that computer not being a modem, and not even being remotely close to the right time period?

• Locked thread